thud

Disgusting Behaviour Of A PIA Captain

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:48 pm

I HATE BIGOTS. Goes a long way to expalin the mess the nation is in.

If this was a Western airline, this man would be out on his ear!!

http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7108

[Edited 2006-11-16 11:50:03]

OHLHD

RE: Disgusting Behaviour Of A PIA Captain

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:11 pm

To sum it up.... he refused to eat something given to him by a non-muslim?

HUH, how stupid is that? Is there any restictions in the holy koran where it says it needs to be served by a muslim?

himmat01

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:30 pm

This guy deserves a kick on his back side. Tomorrow, he will decide that he will fly only Muslim passengers.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

AsoRock

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:46 pm

I keep wondering where this mass fundamentalism comes from in Pakistan.

Did he join a Flying Madrassa or something?

Islam is all about tolerance, and it is obvious a lack of education in poor countries only fuels fundamentalist thought.

BizFlyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Anything like this happens in an airline that I would trust (e.g. Lufthansa or KLM, to name just two), would mean that the captain would lose his job.
I as a passenger do not have any interest whatsoever to entrust my life to a person who obviously is not a teamplayer and who puts his own (idiotic) opinions over everything else around him.

If PIA further tolerates this person as a memeber of it´s flying staff, then I will definitely NOT fly with them - EVER.

Kind regards,

BizFlyer
Stay belted as long as you can!

art

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 pm

From the translation I read on the other forum, it appears that the pilot did not want to be served by a non-Muslim F/A. That's OK. However, the purser moved the F/A to work elsewhere. That's not OK. If a Muslim pilot wants to be served exclusively by Muslims, let him eat and drink only when a Muslim happens to be assigned the duty of serving the pilots. If a pilot does not like that, he/she can always leave PIA. The presence of such pilots is hardly good for crew morale.

osiris30

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 3):
Islam is all about tolerance, and it is obvious a lack of education in poor countries only fuels fundamentalist thought.

That's the truth. Islam isn't fundamentally different than many other religons. And like many other religons it has been corrupted by it's leaders through the use of ignorance and 'blind faith'.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

MD88Captain

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:22 pm

He's the Captain. It is his call. He has the authority granted to him and his crew members will comply. He will have to just accept the risk of getting a "little extra" in his meal.

Gr8Circle

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
HUH, how stupid is that? Is there any restictions in the holy koran where it says it needs to be served by a muslim?

I'm sure there is no such ridiculous restriction in the Holy Koran, but trust the mullahs to invent something like that if it suits them.... Big grin

SAS A340

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting MD88Captain (Reply 8):
He will have to just accept the risk of getting a "little extra" in his meal.

Do not want to know..  stirthepot 
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

HBJZA

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:17 am

As a purser, I would have told him that he could also move his a*s to the galley to get his meal if he didn't want to be served........
No reason to make a big deal out of it.
Idiots are all around every culture, not only muslims or whoever
The only thing he should think of getting : A LIFE.

PIA777

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:30 am

Thats so stupid. I actually know people who will not eat at an Indian
restaurant. They are so stupid.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

remcor

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 9):
I'm sure there is no such ridiculous restriction in the Holy Koran, but trust the mullahs to invent something like that if it suits them.... Big grin

No, there's no such thing written.
In one of the messages on the PIA board a muslim notes that the Prophet Mohammed himself ate at non-Muslim households.

Likewise there's also no such thing written that says that muslim women must be veiled. And there's no such thing that says that muslim women cannot work or go to school (the Prophet Mohammed's first wife and the one he really loved exclusively for 25 years until her death) was a very successful businesswomen (which was very unusual at the time).

Someone tell these fundamentalists that if you look at the Koran _in the context of life in 6th century Arabia_ it actually promotes a somewhat liberal doctrine.

Actually that PIA forum website is pretty funny. One user: Don't jump to conclusions, what if the guy was just scratching his balls or picking his nose?

[Edited 2006-11-16 22:45:14]

PIA777

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 9):
I'm sure there is no such ridiculous restriction in the Holy Koran, but trust the mullahs to invent something like that if it suits them....

There isn't any. Just alot of stupid people in Pakistan. The guys looks Pakistani. The only difference is that he a different Religion. I think
The Pilot should be suspended.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

YULWinterSkies

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 7):
That's the truth. Islam isn't fundamentally different than many other religons. And like many other religons it has been corrupted by it's leaders through the use of ignorance and 'blind faith'.

However civil airliners pilots are highly educated people, and those who fly international long-haul are supposed to be the best and most experienced of them. Not much to do with ignorance here.
 banghead 

Out of curiosity, what's PIA status regarding the State of Pakistan -this could influence an official religion at PIA, if any-; what is exactly the status of Islam for the State of Pakistan, is it the official religion?
When I doubt... go running!

LASoctoberB6

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:02 am

"little extra"

ya nasty!  Smile
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

sixtyseven

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:41 am

Forget all that. Are all pilots there Muslim?

If they aren't, what kind of CRM is this guy going to have on a dark stormy night when a non-muslin FO, or any crew member for that matter has valid, crucial input to make in the safe operation/conclusion of the flight?

Political/Religious tolerance aside. This man is the commander of the aircraft. Such short sighted actions could have me wonder what this mans state of mind is when conducting a flight. When does it stop, what are his boundaries in terms of accepting advise/assistance from someone not belonging to his belief system.

This harkens back to a failed takeoff clearance in Tenerife when a timid FO dared to question "THE CAPTAIN". He did it once, likely with fear of reprisal. His failure to do it a second time and the CRM of the time caused the loss of hundreds of lives.

We can only hope this Captain is never in such a situation.

And if he is, isn't such a moron.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

flybyguy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:55 am

I don't understand the outrage... many of the same people here would have a plane turned around and a passenger arrested if that passenger so much as rolls their eyes at the crew... and defending such an option as the right of the flight commander.

The captain is the supreme authority aboard the aircraft he commands. Though he did something that was in poor taste, at no time was the aircraft, crew, or passengers in danger. Unless the PIA (or relevent nations) have rules against his conduct, he was within his rights. Plain and simple.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

RiddlePilot215

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Thud (Thread starter):
I HATE BIGOTS. Goes a long way to expalin the mess the nation is in.

If this was a Western airline, this man would be out on his ear!!

http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/v...=7108

Wow, this man is a genius.... Sure makes Islam look GREAT. Someone should give that captain a medal of honor, b/c we all know other Islamic peoples think that way, and he's just standing up for what's yours!  bigthumbsup 

I hope this moron's aviation career is finished. Pakistan is a progressive Islamic nation....so there's no doubt that this situation will be properly dealt.  Smile
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

newagebird

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 am

that guy needs a happy meal

Having lived around muslims for a long time, they are increasingly allowing greater opportunities for women as well as non muslims so this is just one bad apple who has his morals screwed around

AC777LR

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:07 am

I thought most of their pilots where from Canada, USA, Australia and the UK? What a guy!!!! I hope he knows that plane is is flying was probably built by non Muslims Big grin
Member since April 2000

bahadir

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:19 am

Obviously,
some people took the liberty to show their ignorance to insult Islam to condemn the actions of this stupid captain.. It is amazing, the majority of them are coming the country of FoxNews.. barf..  Smile
Earthbound misfit I

Jamie757

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:06 pm

It's a shame that most of the opinions published in this thread are based on a crappy, biased translation of the original article.

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

DMAJ7TH

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 34):
It's a shame that most of the opinions published in this thread are based on a crappy, biased translation of the original article.

Rgds.

i agree. i think the majority of you all are overly fascinated when airline pilots get themselves involved in real life, personal issues. maybe this is due to the fact that most of the people's flying experiences on this thread are limited to home PC flight simulators and private pilot activity - and to make a real life airline pilot ,who flies real life airliners, look human and point out his human shortcomings is just soooooo much fun for y'all. lets get back to talking about things like what triple 7's are being broken up early, or, "what registration number is the airplane in this picture?" ill probably get crucified for saying this, but i don't care anymore.

[Edited 2006-11-17 04:45:36]

kiramakora

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 17):
Thats so stupid. I actually know people who will not eat at an Indian
restaurant. They are so stupid.

PIA777

... and to think most Indian restaurants in the U.S. are not even Indian owned. Oh well.

rolfen

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
To sum it up.... he refused to eat something given to him by a non-muslim?

Nothing new.
I was told that during the last war in lebanon, chia refugees fled in masses to the christian town of zahle. The people of zahle, in a good gesture, prepared a huge buffet for them with food, drinks and all, thinking they'd be starving from the journey.
Some of the refugee ate, but some refused to eat food offered by christians. Some christian woman got pissed off and picked a fight with a refugee woman (I'll spare you the transcript Big grin) and a general melee followed.

This story was told to me by a guy of zahle, it wasnt recounted in the news...

But anyway yeah some muslims will refuse to eat when offered food by christians. I believe it's written somwhere that they mustnt (I wish our muslim friends on this board will enlighten us). But only the most bigoted and narrow-minded muslims actually follow this.
rolf

leftwing

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 pm

he is jealous of indians,....and bollywood ! Big grin

777MAS

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
he refused to eat something given to him by a non-muslim?

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
This guy deserves a kick on his back side. Tomorrow, he will decide that he will fly only Muslim passengers

It's not just Pakistan. Here in Malaysia, supposedly a moderate Muslim-majority country, we get BIGOTS who also display such tendencies. Classic: it's a sin to wish your Hindu friends Happy Divali.

Just 2-3 days ago, one of them called for a change to the laws such that a Malay Muslim who wants to convert to other religions should get the approval of the Sultan first; if the Sultan refuses to grant his consent, and he still insists on wanting to convert, EXECUTE him!!!!!!!

OK, let's stick to the aviation, not religion.....

MD88Captain

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:40 pm

I found this Captain's behavior indefensible, but after seeing "Borat" I now understand the cultural differences.

Gr8Circle

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 26):
The captain is the supreme authority aboard the aircraft he commands. Though he did something that was in poor taste, at no time was the aircraft, crew, or passengers in danger. Unless the PIA (or relevent nations) have rules against his conduct, he was within his rights. Plain and simple.

Well, I just hope this particular captain has a heart attack or some other medical condition on some future flight and the only doctor onboard is a non-Muslim.....would be very interesting to see what stand he takes and how members like you defend his rights......  smile 

khi747

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 39):
But anyway yeah some muslims will refuse to eat when offered food by christians. I believe it's written somwhere that they mustnt (I wish our muslim friends on this board will enlighten us). But only the most bigoted and narrow-minded muslims actually follow this.

No,nothing is written anywhere that would allow this incident to happen.The only food conditions that are to be respected have to do with hygiene,slaughter method and if any prohibited item(lard,alcohol,etc) is used in its preparation.As far as Jews and Christians are concerned,Muslims are allowed to marry them so its really absurd if someone wont eat their food.

I must say i have not read about this incident anywhere except for a 3rd tier local Urdu Paper,but if it is true then i must say its quite unexpected specially from the pilot of a B747 whose probably been travelling the world for a good many number of years!I wont deny that such narrow minded morons dont exist in the Islamic world or Pakistan,but they sure dont reflect the opinion of the overwhelming majority.

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting 777MAS (Reply 41):
It's not just Pakistan. Here in Malaysia, supposedly a moderate Muslim-majority country, we get BIGOTS who also display such tendencies. Classic: it's a sin to wish your Hindu friends Happy Divali.

= Oh my God, it reminded me of an incident on board MH's flight on KUL-DXB-EWR when one super bitchy flight attendant spassed out on some Indian passenger because she asked whether there was any option other than beef. Her exact words still enshrined in my mind were: "do you have a vegetarian option; or chicken; or pork?" ... he went ballistic saying how he was a good Muslim and he can never serve pork and how dare she insulted his religion .. and bla bla bla ... I remember him being very unprofessional and starting to cry ... and then telling all the passengers what had happened.

Of course, this guy had some major issues he was working out. I mean, I am pretty sure he was gay (oops, what would Allah say?) and was hooking up with the other dude FA. Thankfully, the other FAs were visibly embarassed with him and kept on apologizing profusely.

Given MH has arguably (and definitely in my books), the BEST cabin crew in the world, this was a shock. However, also proved that even in relatively moderate countries, zealots can thrive ... and Pakistan is not a moderate country  Sad.

Sad for PIA though. They seem to just keep on getting bad news. Captain caught drunk, their planes being banned in Europe, and now this. On a lighter note, maybe this captain could learn a few things from the drunken captain  Smile?

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

777way

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:33 am

Abrelosojos, your posts, their tone, composition style all smack of South Asian manner, are you a Leichtenstien native or is it your adopted country?

PIA777

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Kiramakora (Reply 36):
... and to think most Indian restaurants in the U.S. are not even Indian owned. Oh well.

I would not say that but some are. In Chicago on Devon Ave, most
of the Indian Restaurants are authentic Indian and the same goes
for Pakistani.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 50):
Abrelosojos, your posts, their tone, composition style all smack of South Asian manner, are you a Leichtenstien native or is it your adopted country?

= I wish/hope  Smile. Liechtenstein is my native country. I have been living in Venezuela for the past 2 years. My current assignment as an aviation consultant is with a large MidEastern airline. In my previous career, I was with the World Bank's South Asia desk and have traveled widely across the region. Do you want me to send you a resume  Smile? PM and I will send you my number the next time you are in CCS.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:32 am

I have seen this type, thankfully not often, before. Do I think it's disgusting? No. Idiotic? Yes. Childish? Yes.

If being served by a certain crew member is that important to you, I suggest that you bring your own food. Too many things are going on in the cabin to take away one particular person who fits a particular need of one crew member.

If the pilot still has a problem, then we can take that up with the Chief Pilot's office when we return to base.

Pilots are not God. They are like you and I. They just happen to be in charge of the plane. That's it. Of the plane. The purser/ISM is in charge of service needs, whether it be for customers or crew members.

Thankfully a very few (and I mean VERY few) feel as a pilot that they are there to be served, treated as God, kowtowed to, etc.. I can count on one hand those few in 20 years. Not many.
You can't cure stupid

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 55):
Do I think it's disgusting? No.

= Curious. Why dont you think its disgusting?

-A.
Live, and let live.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 56):
= Curious. Why dont you think its disgusting?

It is not how I would describe it. His behaviour was childish, idiotic, reprehensible, asinine, not appropriate and so on. His behaviour showed his true maturity. That doesn't make it disgusting.

Disgusting behaviour would be if he used bodily fluids to get his point across. But to make an ass of himself, nah, not disgusting. I would hate to be a family member of his immediate family though.

Absolutely laughable is another way to describe it.
You can't cure stupid

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 57):
Disgusting behaviour would be if he used bodily fluids to get his point across.

= Hmmm ... unless ... the other cabin crew liked that  Wink. Ok, I really am hungover and need cafe.

-A.
Live, and let live.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 58):
Hmmm ... unless ... the other cabin crew liked that

I know a couple of those, too.

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 58):
Ok, I really am hungover and need cafe.

must.........get.........cafe

McDonald's french fries and a coke did the trick for me when I was hungover.
You can't cure stupid

art

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 28):
Pakistan is a progressive Islamic nation....

What does that mean? How can any state whose ethics and ethos are married to past religious teachings be termed progressive?

iairallie

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:31 am

He's the Captain. It is his call. He has the authority granted to him and his crew members will comply. He will have to just accept the risk of getting a "little extra" in his meal.

True the Captain it the ultimate authority on board the plane but he will still be held accountable for his actions by the CPO and company if he abuses that authority. Rearranging the cabin crew assignments on a personal whim would be an abuse. Cabin crew bid for their work assignments who the heck is he to pull rank for something like that. He can a) not eat b) bring something he or someone of his choosing prepared or c) come back to the the galley and serve himself. He has plenty of options that don't involve overstepping his bounds.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

justapassenger

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:19 pm

I see no difference between this captain and the AA captain, a couple of years ago, who asked the Christian passengers on his flight to convert the non-Christian passengers. . Unfortunately, religious extremists all over the world are using their own freedom of religion to limit freedom of religion for others. We must stand up to those religious bigots who abuse their authority in an effort to limit the religious freedom of others. I assume that that AA pilot still flying for AA, I also assume that he will never do it again. We should expect the same result in this case.

Motorhussy

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:08 pm

Bugger, hope the poor bastard doesn't ever get stranded in some infidel country where he'll end up having to starve himself to death. You go to Hell for suicide don't you?

MH
come visit the south pacific

Knightsofmalta

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 18):
hope this moron's aviation career is finished. Pakistan is a progressive Islamic nation....so there's no doubt that this situation will be properly dealt.

I think 'progressive' is definitely the very last adjective I would ever use to describe Pakistan!

Motorhussy

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Justapassenger (Reply 42):
I assume that that AA pilot still flying for AA,

Or did he convert to Islam and start flying for PK?

MH
come visit the south pacific

justapassenger

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:30 pm

MotorHussey,

Good one! It would be nice to think that there is only one religious fanatic who is being recycled throughout the pilot community.

Aviator27

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting Justapassenger (Reply 42):
I see no difference between this captain and the AA captain, a couple of years ago, who asked the Christian passengers on his flight to convert the non-Christian passengers.

Said American Airlines Captain was severly reprimanded.