PVDFlier

NY/NJ Port Authority Looks At SWF

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:49 am

FYI...

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (D, NY) released the following statement today on the Port Authority Board's vote granting themselves the authorization to review Stewart International Airport as an opportunity to expand regional airport capacity.

"Giving the Port Authority an opportunity to run Stewart Airport could be a win-win for all New Yorkers. The PA is expert at running airports and has exactly the kind of relationships with airlines to entice them to add service there.

In the Hudson Valley – a region bustling with growth and crying out for new low-cost air service – an expanded Stewart would be a shot in the arm for economic development and boon to local residents. It could also have a significant job creating impact on the regional economy by alleviating the cargo and passenger bottleneck now constricting metropolitan area airports. Building up Stewart is the right thing to do for New Yorkers from the Hudson Valley to Manhattan to Long Island."

-- U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer

####

bobnwa

RE: NY/NJ Port Authority Looks At SWF

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:53 am

Someone politition made this same statement 10 years ago and again 5 years ago.

ikramerica

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 1):
Someone politition made this same statement 10 years ago and again 5 years ago.

Then those two statements were also right.

People SWF doesn't have enough of a catchment, but that's just not true. People who live 1/2 way between there and New York and people who even live closer to NYC, would choose SWF if the flights were convenient and plentiful and in line with prices from LGA and JFK, because it's less of a hassle to get to. And there are plenty of corporate offices in northern Westchester County that would rather send people to SWF if it was faster.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

777wt

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:51 am

Well as of last month to 2 ago, AirTran and jetblue serves SWF now...

spinkid

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 am

I think the real test will be to see how the service on jetBlue, Air Tran and Allegiant holds up in the next few months. If people make use of it, the PA will become more interested. Flights will certainly become cheaper here in the near future.

AmtrakGuy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Anyone can tell me -- NY Subway and/or commuter trains (can't remember the name) from NYC area passed near SWF?

Charger

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting AmtrakGuy (Reply 5):
Anyone can tell me -- NY Subway and/or commuter trains (can't remember the name) from NYC area passed near SWF?

There are no subways up here. The only train that is any where near SWF is Metro North. You would have to go to the Beacon Station and transfer to the Newburgh-Beacon-Stewart shuttle bus.

IIRC there was some talk of extending the rail to SWF but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

DesertAir

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 pm

I think SWF is a great airport. For a number of years I went to Wappingers Falls each January. I stopped flying into New York City airports and driving up and began using SWF on AA through Chicago. The airport was always open because of its proximity to the Air Force base there.

ltbewr

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 pm

This seems to be an idea we see brought up every several years. When the weather gets bad, EWR and LGA especially have very extensive delays inbound and outbound due to their tight patterns and limited facilities.
To me, I would suggest that SWF be used to free up space at JFK and EWR as to freight. SWF is close to major highways, so there would be little more travel time to access the NYC Metro area, and for northern parts of the area, less travel time. Freight normally is less sensitive to time than passangers.

EWRandMDW

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:35 pm

There's one thing everyone seems to forget and that's the "NJ" part of the agency's name. New York State cannot unilaterally decide this issue. New Jersey is supposed to be an equal partner and that state will want A LOT in return for it's approval, whether major improvements to EWR and/or Port Newark/Elizabeth, and/or the PATH rail system, etc.

PVD757

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:14 pm

seems logical and beneficial IMHO...

prosa

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 9):
There's one thing everyone seems to forget and that's the "NJ" part of the agency's name. New York State cannot unilaterally decide this issue. New Jersey is supposed to be an equal partner and that state will want A LOT in return for it's approval, whether major improvements to EWR and/or Port Newark/Elizabeth, and/or the PATH rail system, etc

A significantly expanded SWF actually might be competition for EWR, for example among people lviing in Rockland County and northern Bergen County.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

NYC777

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 am

Well the problem is that EWR and LGA are always crowded so in a sense those two airports will be helped. Tha main issue is transsportation between SWF and the major business centers. You would need rail lines going into Manhattan and NJ so that business travelers could make the most out of SWF. LGA and JFK will still be the airport of choice for Long Islanders, Quuens, Brooklyn and the Bronx while EWR will still serve most if not all of northern Jersey and Staten Island. SWF would be great for residents of westchester, parts of Connecticut as well as people living in the Rockland, Orange and Dutchesss counties.

Again the main thing is to develop transportation and building new terminals. Would be great if they made it a large inernational airport handling TransAtlantic an perhaps even TransPacific flights!!
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

STT757

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting AmtrakGuy (Reply 5):

Quoting Charger (Reply 6):
There are no subways up here. The only train that is any where near SWF is Metro North. You would have to go to the Beacon Station and transfer to the Newburgh-Beacon-Stewart shuttle bus.

That's incorrect, the closest rail line to Stewart is NJ Transit's Port Jervis line, it comes within three miles of the airport to the South. The State of NY wants to connect Stewart Airport to NJ Transit's Port Jervis line.

Here's some more information.

The Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines are Metro North Lines that are operated by NJ Transit from Orange and Rockland Counties to Hoboken, with connections at Secaucus Jct to Manhattan Penn Station.

Stewart airport is three miles from the Port Jervis line, betwee the Salisbury Mills and Campbell Hall stations.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/gifs/mnrmap.gif
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

prosa

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
The Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines are Metro North Lines that are operated by NJ Transit from Orange and Rockland Counties to Hoboken, with connections at Secaucus Jct to Manhattan Penn Station.
Stewart airport is three miles from the Port Jervis line, betwee the Salisbury Mills and Campbell Hall stations.

NY Penn Station to Salisbury Mills is just over 90 minutes. Add the time needed to a bus or van shuttle to SWF, and we're probably close to a 2-hour trip.
SWF is well-situated to serve people from parts of New York and New Jersey, and even bits of Connecticut and Pennsylvania. I do not, however, see it as a reasonable alternative for people going to and from Manhattan.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

silentbob

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 9):
There's one thing everyone seems to forget and that's the "NJ" part of the agency's name. New York State cannot unilaterally decide this issue. New Jersey is supposed to be an equal partner and that state will want A LOT in return for it's approval, whether major improvements to EWR and/or Port Newark/Elizabeth, and/or the PATH rail system, etc.

And there is a perfect example of why politics prevents good things from happening.

Revelation

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
And there are plenty of corporate offices in northern Westchester County that would rather send people to SWF if it was faster.

Don't most of those folks go via HPN?
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

AlitaliaMD11

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Don't most of those folks go via HPN?

That's because at the current moment SWF really only has slim pickings compared to HPN.

One of the problems with HPN is the noise restrictions and the fact that the airport can't expand much.

Since I live in Poughkeepsie I would and I know a lot of people that would like it if SWF were to become the 4th Port Authority Airport.
No Vueling No Party

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos