clickhappy

Sorry For The Delay.. It's A Heap Of Rubbish

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:05 am

HOLIDAYMAKERS waiting to take-off on a delayed flight to Edinburgh today claimed the pilot told them the plane was a "heap of rubbish".

The passengers had been sitting in the Boeing 737 on the runway at Lanzarote Airport yesterday when they claim the pilot made the announcement.

And more shocking

The pilot allegedly admitted the six-year-old plane was only designed to carry 55 tonnes, but had 61 on board.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1706462006

futurecaptain

RE: Sorry For The Delay.. It's A Heap Of Rubbish

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:34 am

why would a PIC accept a plane 6 tons overweight? Either he was full of BS or had a death wish.
I flew an overweight plane once, not 6 tons on an airliner, but still a little extra weight in a Cessna is something. It was NOT fun by any means and a complete wake up call, never doing that again.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

ikramerica

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:41 am

This is the key:

"Where some confusion may have arisen is that the pilot, in trying to explain the take-off delay to passengers yesterday, used the phrase 'performance limiting' -referring to the runway length and direction of take-off which on the day was contrary to the prevailing wind.

---My guess is that the pilot was angry that the airline was not taking some pax off and lowering the load, and that was "rubbish" and explained that the runway they were allowed to take off from was too short to carry all the pax, but that passengers got a bit confused as to exactly what he was talking about.

I'm sure he was angry (and unprofessional for letting the pax know it). Fly Globespan may also have "under engined" 737s? I know that each model can be equipped with multiple thrust ratings for the CFM engines. Maybe they cut corners to buy the cheaper engines, and this pilot was angry about that?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Ken777

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:01 am

Bit of a relief . . . I was afraid this was going to be a basher of a thread on the 380.  Smile