Matt D
Topic Author

Looking Back Part II: USAir Shuttle At PHL

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 am

I stumbled across this relic while perusing some old pix. It's not the best of quality, what with it being partly cloudy and nose-to-sun. But at the time, I was excited to see it. So I took the picture.

Now if memory serves correctly, the USAir Shuttle did NOT include PHL as one of it's regular scheduled stops. I believe the routing was BOS-LGA-DCA.

So this particular one must've been a special of some sort.

The complete lack of US Shuttle at PHL pix in the database seems to suggest that this was not a frequent occurance. So this picture might actually be worthy of some interest.

Or not.

Never mind that the plane, livery, and background are all nonexistant today. So I guess it still qualifies as "vintage".

PS: Someone had remarked once about Midwest Express at PHL. I happened to encounter a pair of ME DC-9's taken at this very spot, with the TWA hangar in the background. If you like, I'll be glad to post them.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT:

PS: Picture taken May, 1994.

http://x-2000r.angelcities.com/images/US727PHL.JPG

[Edited 2006-11-19 00:09:40]

usairways85

RE: Looking Back Part II: USAir Shuttle At PHL

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 am

No US Shuttle did not include PHL so it might have been an equipment sub or something.

I do have pics of a US Shuttle DC-9 at PHL in a hybrid bare metal/current scheme when they were transitioning from 722's to 320's and 319'2.

I do believe Midwest as well as the former Midway both used Terminal A in the past.

srbmod

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 1):
No US Shuttle did not include PHL so it might have been an equipment sub or something.

On the weekends, it was not uncommon for DL to work a few of the Delta Shuttle 727s into the regular route network, so I would guess USAir would do the same thing as well.

crownvic

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:52 pm

I use to frequently see Eastern Shuttle a/c at PHL as well, even though they too, were not part of any shuttle service at PHL. Matt D...Post as many PHL pictures as you can!