Matt D
Topic Author

Looking Back Part II: USAir Shuttle At PHL

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 am

I stumbled across this relic while perusing some old pix. It's not the best of quality, what with it being partly cloudy and nose-to-sun. But at the time, I was excited to see it. So I took the picture.

Now if memory serves correctly, the USAir Shuttle did NOT include PHL as one of it's regular scheduled stops. I believe the routing was BOS-LGA-DCA.

So this particular one must've been a special of some sort.

The complete lack of US Shuttle at PHL pix in the database seems to suggest that this was not a frequent occurance. So this picture might actually be worthy of some interest.

Or not.

Never mind that the plane, livery, and background are all nonexistant today. So I guess it still qualifies as "vintage".

PS: Someone had remarked once about Midwest Express at PHL. I happened to encounter a pair of ME DC-9's taken at this very spot, with the TWA hangar in the background. If you like, I'll be glad to post them.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT:

PS: Picture taken May, 1994.

http://x-2000r.angelcities.com/images/US727PHL.JPG

[Edited 2006-11-19 00:09:40]

usairways85

RE: Looking Back Part II: USAir Shuttle At PHL

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 am

No US Shuttle did not include PHL so it might have been an equipment sub or something.

I do have pics of a US Shuttle DC-9 at PHL in a hybrid bare metal/current scheme when they were transitioning from 722's to 320's and 319'2.

I do believe Midwest as well as the former Midway both used Terminal A in the past.

srbmod

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 1):
No US Shuttle did not include PHL so it might have been an equipment sub or something.

On the weekends, it was not uncommon for DL to work a few of the Delta Shuttle 727s into the regular route network, so I would guess USAir would do the same thing as well.

crownvic

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:52 pm

I use to frequently see Eastern Shuttle a/c at PHL as well, even though they too, were not part of any shuttle service at PHL. Matt D...Post as many PHL pictures as you can!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos