pilotaydin

I Love It When Travel Agents Do This....

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:20 pm

im going to VALENCIA VLC i think, after new years, so i went to my travel agent and told them i want a ticket with star alliance etc.... and i get my e-ticket today in my inbox and guess what....

istanbul-munich-VENICE with Air Dolomiti....

i mean come on, the word VENEDIK and VALENSIYA in turkish are nowhere near and i remember the guy saying ahhh spain! haha

now im worried there might not be room on the specific dates ive asked for because i took my days off and booked my hotel lol

anyone else have this happen? i can understand Genoa and Geneva  Smile
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

airmale

RE: I Love It When Travel Agents Do This....

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Mistakes happen. So what?
.....up there with the best!

alaskaqantas

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting AirMale (Reply 1):

well it could mean that there isn't room on the flights that he wanted... and there for he could loose some of the money he's spent on hotels, possibly flights, and hes already put in for days off work.

I guess it depends on the loads and the travel agent as to what will happen... hope it all works out mate!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

kiwiandrew

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:38 pm

This is exactly why all the travel agents I trained had it drummed into them that they MUST show/or email client an itinerary BEFORE agreeing to ticket the flights

HT

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting Pilotaydin (Thread starter):
anyone else have this happen?

No, but a PSA once tried to check me in to HAN when holding a ticket for Han(n)over (HAJ).
Since that occasion, I keep an eye onto the baggage tags once they are printed and check if they carry the right IATA-code.

On another occasion, a travel agent working for the "in-plant travel agency" they operate for my employer didn't stick to the flights I had selected. They once again tried to sell me a 45-minute connection in CDG (HAJ-CDG-ATL), but I made them change the flights ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

mandala499

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:40 pm

I always check the codes even when checking in...
Even when booking, I give the agent specific IATA codes... Hence no excuse for a mistake, unless it's on my part.

However, giving agents geography lessons can reduce this risk waaaaay further... coz some minority really do need it!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Leskova

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 2):
well it could mean that there isn't room on the flights that he wanted... and there for he could loose some of the money he's spent on hotels, possibly flights, and hes already put in for days off work.

The agent didn't book what you wanted, ask him to change it.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 3):
This is exactly why all the travel agents I trained had it drummed into them that they MUST show/or email client an itinerary BEFORE agreeing to ticket the flights

It's the same in my case - always confirm with the client before you finalize something... back when I was in sales, this once saved me from a Las Palmas/La Palma mixup.

It's also something that all the agencies the company I work for has do - never pass the 'point of no return' before you're certain that you've booked what the client wants.

It's a really simple rule - and it works well, if you adhere to it.

As I said - just ask the agent to correct the mistake... after all... he should be aware that Venice simply doesn't work when you want to go to Valencia... and since he replied with "Spain", he really should see his error.

And, just as a previous poster already mentioned, it's really not just travel agents messing up like this - I one had to wait for two weeks for SAA to get my suitcase back to me, because one of their check in agents placed me on an Air Botswana flight to Maun, but my suitcase on an SAA flight to Jo'berg.

In short - mistakes happen. They're annoying - no doubt about that. But this, in absolutely no way, is something specific to travel agents. We're not dimwits, we're not complete idiots, we're not morons out to screw every customer that walks into our shop... most of us are people doing our best to get the best deal for our clients, trying to get them where they want the most comfortable and most affordable way. And, believe it or not, at the same time we're also human beings that, on occasion, make mistakes.

And I guess I don't really need to point out that pilots aren't flawless either... you're humans as well...  Wink
Smile - it confuses people!

ANCFlyer

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:59 pm

anyone else have this happen?

Sure . . .

Called US Airways reservations several months ago . . . . needed to go to BHM - which is in Alabama and the gent was already to ticket me to BHX - which is in England.

Hazards of outsourcing your US reservations to the Philipines  irked . I mean, if you're going to outsource, at least give the poor bastards a map!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

tymnbalewne

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:25 pm

When I worked at IAD (Dulles) we would, with regularity, get people from overseas coming off our plane expecting to be in Dallas.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

AirSpare

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 pm

The company I work for once sent a shipment to St. Petersburg, Florida.

Idiots, it was supposed to go to Russia.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

ChiGB1973

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Hazards of outsourcing your US reservations to the Philippines . I mean, if you're going to outsource, at least give the poor bastards a map!

I don't know how much of it is back, but some.

http://www.newsindia.com/editorial/7099.asp

I lived in BHM and unless I specifically said Alabama or people caught my accent, some thought I meant England. Why did you call reservations and not book on-line? It saves you a few bucks.

I also wonder, why go through a travel agency? I have been to Turkey a few times, but never had to arrange my own itinerary. Why not book it yourself on-line?

Not to down travel agencies, far from that, I just wonder what advantages it has these days.

M

access-air

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:04 am

Sure . . .

Called US Airways reservations several months ago . . . . needed to go to BHM - which is in Alabama and the gent was already to ticket me to BHX - which is in England.

Hazards of outsourcing your US reservations to the Philipines irked . I mean, if you're going to outsource, at least give the poor bastards a map!

ANCFlyer, Next time follow the prompts to International Reservations....If you do that you should always get someone in the US.....

In our Travel Agency, I am the person that basically makes sure that Itineraries are recapped with clients.....We have had a few mishaps with clients not being recapped and I have had to fix the problems....
I have been in the business for 17 years and I just dont like having clean up after someone's stupid mistakes....Im quite the "Office Nazi" about certain things and I will go ballistic if someone does not follow certain procedures...Thank goodness that we have all had enuff experience that problems of this sort dont happen too often....

All I know is that most clients in most cases dont even have a clue as to where anything is geographically and will sometimes give us the wrong destination...Like a lady this past week e-mailed us telling us they wanted to go to Atlantic, Georgia.....We looked and there is no Atlantic in the whole state of Georgia.... She finally told us that was to attend an Archery convention...So smart cookie I am, I "googled" Archery Conventions 2007 and came up with one in, where else?? ATLANTA, Georgia precisesly the same dates she wanted to travel......See, what we deal with????

My Other favourites are the people that call and make a reservation in say June for November travel....We go over every slingle last detail even fax or e-mail over a copy of the intineray for them to look at. They will pay for the reservation over the phone with their credit card. SO, once again we recap that itinerary....We ask if they want us to send it to them...."No", they tell us, "just keep it there because I might loose it." So we keep it in our file...The months carry on until about October they will call and ask why WE didnt send the ticket and we have remind them why THEY left it there.....We offer to send it to them, they say, "No, Ill be in later today to pick it up." Well still they dont come in to pick it up....However, we are a busy agency and dont have time dedicate to just one booking...We figure that they prolly got busy, like us and couldnt make it in....They do call and ask us if they can just leave it there until right before they leave.....We tell them ok....And that we will hold it for them...
So, about 2 days before this person is to travel they come in the agency to pick up......Low and behold we once again recap the intinerary....They screw up their face and say, "Those are the wrong dates!!!" They search for a calendar on my desk under the glass....."I wanted to go on this day...." We go back to our notes and by goodness the dates on the intinerary are EXACTLY what they had ordered....Their excuse is, "Oh I must have been looking at last years calendar..." However, to them WE Screwed up NOT them.....
Our travel agency will own up to mistake if we screw up, but if a client is wishy-washy about what they are doing....or only pay half attention or are too frigging LAZY to make a personal appearance in our office they dont have any right to blame us if a mistake is made....We travel agents, thanks to the squeeze put on us by the airlines, only have 24 hours time to VOID an error on an airline ticket and start again...after that someone has to pay.
We take EVERY Precaution to make sure that mistakes never happen....I detest having to get on and grovel and beg an airline for help and thats exactly what they make you do this side of making a pact with satan......
Airlines used to be happy to help us, now all they see us as is minor annoyance..

As for you guys that give a travel agent an ICAO code for travel.....I dont know about you, but I would say that is YOUR problem...We travel agents stateside dont mess with that ICAO four letter code BS....we still use the IATA 3 letter codes. Besides, use the name of the city and explain which airport dont be foolish and just drop a code and hope the agent "Gets it" If you do, then too bad, YOU have created half of your probem.....some of us are old school and we like to hear names of cities, not codes....If we dont uinder stand the name of a city, spell it phonetically to us...to ther is NO question...

But yeah, ANCFlyer, try the International desks...they seem to man those with agents in the US.....I too, detest having to talk to an outsourced reservation office as they have to put you on hold for EVERY thing you ask them....Most are as helpful as a pair of tits on a bull......In most cases, I know more about the airline they are working for than they do......

Lastly, Pilotaydin, Next time please make sure you recap the reservations with the travel agent before you give the authority to issue your ticket....Reservations are a DUAL responsibility.....The client's responsibility to give accurate information to the agent to book it and to ask them to go over your intinerary with you BEFORE you give a credit card....
It is Our repsonsibility to make sure we get the proper dates, cities and complexities of your planned trip. It is also our responsibilty the RECAP your reservation with you BEFORE you pay for it....If you agent Does NOT recap your booking for you then dont be shy about asking.. I am quite sure they would be happy to......By you assuming that everything is ok and them assuming everything is okay, well....Look what happened to you....

Cheers, Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

Mudboy

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:00 am

As someone stated before, in this day and age with online bookings and such, what is the advantage of using a travel agent?

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am

im going to VALENCIA VLC i think, after new years, so i went to my travel agent and told them i want a ticket with star alliance etc.... and i get my e-ticket today in my inbox and guess what....

God, I always get my booking reference and check it immediately on http://www.checkmytrip.com

However, I'm usual in that I'll send an e-mail like this -

"Hello Lisa,

Can you book me onto QF108 LAX-SYD on 21/10/2006 in J please?"

Leaves little room for error really...
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

Boeing744

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting HT (Reply 4):
No, but a PSA once tried to check me in to HAN when holding a ticket for Han(n)over (HAJ).
Since that occasion, I keep an eye onto the baggage tags once they are printed and check if they carry the right IATA-code.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 6):
And, just as a previous poster already mentioned, it's really not just travel agents messing up like this - I one had to wait for two weeks for SAA to get my suitcase back to me, because one of their check in agents placed me on an Air Botswana flight to Maun, but my suitcase on an SAA flight to Jo'berg.

Yep, I've had this problem too, with AC. I was going to London ON (YXU), but my bags went to Ottawa (YOW).

GQfluffy

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 11):

Thats why you continuously update their PNR with anything and everything, include comments on when/how the pax will pick up their tickets if they are not e-tickets. It's nice to have a print out handy when you get your arse chewed. You just hold it up and show it to them....usually shuts them up...
This isn't where I parked my car...

cgnnrw

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 am

Exactly...

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 10):
Not to down travel agencies, far from that, I just wonder what advantages it has these days.

Well if you're an individual traveller I can see going right to the source to book a ticket. However, many airliners have "service charge" when booking through their websites. Why? What service did they provide? The pax is the one who spent his/her time typing in the itinerary, checking dates, etc.and they still charge for it? How is that any different from a travel agent tacking on a few bucks for their service. After all the agent is the one who took the time to go through all the reservation systems to find a good deal.

Also, in my business we simply don't have the capacity to book 500-600 tickets every year on our own. So we go through a travel agent. They still know a few tricks many experienced travellers aren't aware of.

As someone also stated...the airlines tend to treat travel agents as some sort of enemy. They tend to forget they were dependent on their survival for decades.

Sorry if I derailed this thread.
A330 man.

hawaiian717

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 16):
However, many airliners have "service charge" when booking through their websites.

In the United States it is the opposite. The service charge exists if you try to book over the phone rather than online. What really gets me though is when they try to charge the service charge for something the website can't or won't do.

One time my parents were booking an international Delta SkyMiles award ticket. One went through online fine but for the other an error message came up telling us to call. So we called and they completed the reservation, but the charge they quoted us (you have to pay taxes on the international award tickets) was $10 more than the one that was completed online. We had to get a supervisor to credit the $10.

As far as the issue of incorrect bookings, it goes both ways. I've seen plenty of people book online and get things wrong. Sometimes it is the wrong date (scroll wheel apparently caused problems), but sometimes even the wrong city: ORF versus PHF versus OFK was a common problem. But I've also seen agent mistakes, one time I had a call from a customer who had a reservation on hold departing from ITO, but the agent had her originating in OGG -- the wrong island!

HT

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:51 am

As for you guys that give a travel agent an ICAO code for travel.....I dont know about you, but I would say that is YOUR problem...We travel agents stateside dont mess with that ICAO four letter code BS....we still use the IATA 3 letter codes.

Shouldn't be a BIG problem to toggle between IATA and IACO-codes planning a trip with scheduled carriers within the US ..
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

hawaiian717

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting HT (Reply 18):
Shouldn't be a BIG problem to toggle between IATA and IACO-codes planning a trip with scheduled carriers within the US

Well, until someone asks to go to PHTO or PAFA...  Wink

pilotaydin

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:03 am

well seeing as you're an aviation consultant...i guess your words are biblical..

what the heck do you mean so what? i fly 110 hours a month duty at 180, i barely have time to check up on my own personal issues and the time im travelling around are the holidays, my hotel is already paid for, i guess you're super rich if you can write all this off as a so what....

if it was a so what moment for me, i wouldn't have posted it, so what is the point in you saying so what? what has it done? nothing...except probably make you feel like your issues are "real" and others' are mini lol
 Smile

HBJZA

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 am

Why not book it yourself on-line?

It's sometimes worse. I had once a pax on the U2 AMS-GVA who was more than sure he booked the flight to Genoa Italy !!! Even though I showed him our network map to prove we never had any flight to GOA (Genoa and not Goa India, GOI) from anywhere, he kept saying he booked a flight to GOA instead of GVA !!!!!! Poor one, I wonder what he did after landing in GVA ?

ChiGB1973

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting HBJZA (Reply 21):
Poor one, I wonder what he did after landing in GVA ?

At this point, what else is there to do but get a chalet and go skiing.

M

Avion346

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:18 am

The bags can definitely be a problem too, especially when the ramp agents had A LOT of bags to off-load and send downline quickly. We often got DFW bags when I worked in DTW, and I'm sure vice versa. At least it's somewhat understandable...

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:21 am

Another reason why TAs are not needed. Book your own tickets and get the job done right, the way you want!
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

PER744

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 am

To counter the whole 'why use a travel agent?' theme on this thread, whilst I book the vast majority of my trips myself, there are times when a travel agent is almost required.

We used one for our family holiday coming up in a few weeks. 6 adults, travelling from 2 different cities, leaving on different dates, flying from Australia to Canada for a ski holiday, after which we all split off into 2's to go to 3 or 4 different destinations in the US each, including a Panama Canal cruise. (The itinerary came to 25 pages all up). We organised some of the accomodation ourselves and it's taken many hours of our own time to organise it anyway, but I'd hate to think of how long it would have taken if we'd done all our own bookings.

LH121GLA

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 13):
God, I always get my booking reference and check it immediately on http://www.checkmytrip.com

That's assuming your flight was booked on the Amadeus GDS. Had it been booked on Galileo, Sabre or Worldspan - you would of course need to refer to one of their websites such as www.viewtrip.com

LH121GLA

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 24):
Another reason why TAs are not needed. Book your own tickets and get the job done right, the way you want!

Unfortunately, people like you annoy me.

Yes by all means make your own travel arangements online - but should things take a turn for the worse with your arrangements - who do you turn to? At least booking with a Travel Agent, you get the professional backup that you may require from time to time when things go awry.

I heard a story recently where someone booked a weekend break online (a well known site), things went a bit wrong - they could not get hold of anyone at the operator or the carrier concerned - and who did they turn to? A Travel Agent! Where they should have gone in the first place.

aa757first

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:19 am

All I know is that most clients in most cases dont even have a clue as to where anything is geographically and will sometimes give us the wrong destination...Like a lady this past week e-mailed us telling us they wanted to go to Atlantic, Georgia.....We looked and there is no Atlantic in the whole state of Georgia.... She finally told us that was to attend an Archery convention...So smart cookie I am, I "googled" Archery Conventions 2007 and came up with one in, where else?? ATLANTA, Georgia precisesly the same dates she wanted to travel......See, what we deal with????

First of all, "Atlantic, Georgia" would indicate it's pretty obvious that the customer wanted to fly to ATL after a search indicated there is no Atlantic in Georgia.

Secondly, isn't that what a travel agent is for?

Our travel agency will own up to mistake if we screw up, but if a client is wishy-washy about what they are doing....or only pay half attention or are too frigging LAZY to make a personal appearance in our office they dont have any right to blame us if a mistake is made....We travel agents, thanks to the squeeze put on us by the airlines, only have 24 hours time to VOID an error on an airline ticket and start again...after that someone has to pay.

Isn't the whole concept of the travel agent to help people who are too "wishy-washy" or unsure about their reservation to book it on Travelocity?

Besides, use the name of the city and explain which airport dont be foolish and just drop a code and hope the agent "Gets it" If you do, then too bad, YOU have created half of your probem.....some of us are old school and we like to hear names of cities, not codes....If we dont uinder stand the name of a city, spell it phonetically to us...to ther is NO question...

Wouldn't a code make it easier. For example, if someone says "New York City", the travel agent might book a flight into LGA, JFK or EWR. If they say "JFK", there's no confusion.

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 16):

Well if you're an individual traveller I can see going right to the source to book a ticket. However, many airliners have "service charge" when booking through their websites. Why? What service did they provide? The pax is the one who spent his/her time typing in the itinerary, checking dates, etc.and they still charge for it? How is that any different from a travel agent tacking on a few bucks for their service. After all the agent is the one who took the time to go through all the reservation systems to find a good deal.

As someone said, the reverse is true here in the US. Lowest fares are almost always online, and there is usually a fee for telephone booking, without the frequent flier miles you probably get for online booking.

AAndrew

alaskaqantas

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:53 am

I have respect for you mate, but not all humans are perfect, some don't want to help you anymore, in jeopardy of possibly looking like an idiot in front of their boss... that being said, yes most travel agents will work with you and get it sorted out.

I also wonder, why go through a travel agency? I have been to Turkey a few times, but never had to arrange my own itinerary. Why not book it yourself on-line?

I agree, my mum tries to go through a travel agent quite a bit and I always go online and find a fare that is the same or cheaper, because we wouldn't have to bother with paying the agent. Also depending on the airline you get extra miles for booking on-line (1,000 for AS). Plus sometimes if you want to change your ticket you have to pay a change fee to the airline PLUS the agent, and it becomes more then its worth.

A couple weeks ago my family headed down to NZ because my grandfather had been given 12 hours to live, but since we were going down my dad need to pop down to Nelson and Hokitika to check on our house and tree farm so i called up NZ to get the tickets. (My dad had an unused ticket around NZ for later in the year when he was planning on going back down, but he decided to use it this trip, thats why we called instead of using the internet.) I had asked for Hokitika, and the connection must have been bad because the NZ agent goes "ohhh yeah, Hong Kong, Im planning on going there in a few weeks, should be really nice!" I was registering what he had said exactly at that point after everything that had happened that day (about my grandfather) and it wasn't until he was going over the ticket and he told me that the change in fare was in the thousand dollar range that I realised it must have been wrong. But it got all sorted out before he ticketed it  Smile
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

NorthstarBoy

Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:22 am

there are definitely befefits to using travel agencies, most travel agencies employ some kind of after hours service, so that when you're trying to get from Boise to Ft Lauderdale and Atlanta is being hit with thunderstorms causing you to miss the last flight of the night because your Salt Lake to Atlanta connection was four hours late and you missed the Ft Lauderdale flight by five minutes, you don't have to stand in that two hour long line to customer service to find out you've been rebooked on a midnight flight in two days, you just call me, or people like me, and while everyone else is standing in line, i'm calling the airline, getting you rebooked and getting you a hotel room, so that by the time you would have gotten to the front of the line, you're at your hotel, relaxing

if you booked it yourself online, you won't get that kind of benefit.

while it's very easy to go online and book, the first time you have any kind of problem, you'll wish you had used a travel agent.

[Edited 2006-11-20 00:24:01]
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

wjcandee

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 13):
Can you book me onto QF108 LAX-SYD on 21/10/2006 in J please?"

Leaves little room for error really...

Except as to that "21/10/2006" European date thingy. Here in the US, that isn't a date, so we can figure out that it's October 21.

How about if you said "9/10/2006". Here, that's September 10, 2006, while where you are that's October 9, 2006. Maybe 21 OCT 2006 would be even more definitive?

Also, what if you don't want just "J" -- is there a different, lower fare bucket that will suit you? And if you already have the flight info, remind me again why you need that agent?

BNinMSY

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 12):

As someone stated before, in this day and age with online bookings and such, what is the advantage of using a travel agent?

Let's see... hmmmmmm
1. They can often get a better fare than an airline website - I'd say 80% of the time. Because they are creative and not a robot of the airline that only works off the inventory displayed.
2. They can get seats normally blocked for elite travelers unblocked - so if you are a good client you can get an exit row seat, bulkhead or that coveted aisle seat- on select airlines
3. Flight cancelled? U can usually call the travel agent when in line at the airport and be protected on the next or other flight - instead of worrying there will not be a seat by the time you get to the head of the line
4. Elite status? If you are a loyal client they can seek an elite status on your behalf at no charge without you hving to meet all the qualifications
Big value - but you have to be a loyal client
5. One call for - airline, car rental, car service, hotel, theater tickets, dining reservations, cruises, packages .. and much more - think of them as a concierge. Most good travel agents have insider scoop or information on the destination or hotel or cruise ship
6. Once u purchase that ticket online - does the website ever look for a lower fare that might come about ... while this seldom happens these days ... it does occur - the travel agent will lower the fare by running the reservation through a system check for lower fares - voiding your original ticket and repurchasing the ticket.
7. Something goes wrong - if you are a loyal client - that agent is going to be your advocate with the airline, hotel or whatever supplier. THey have direct lines with most suppliers e.g. airline, hotel etc.
8. By using your travel agent you are often supporting your local economy.
9. Wonder why your flight is delayed.. many travel agents can track the aircraft and tell you the story that the air carrier might not share with everyone - takes a saavy travel agent.
10. A travel agent might have complimentary upgrades, drink coupons for those clients who are loyal.
11. Some travel consultants have relationships with the hoteliers that will give you VIP access, upgrades and much more ...

Travel agents are not for everyone - but if you desire personal service, choices, variety - you should seek out a travel consultant that can meet your needs - it's well worth the fee attached to their services.

LH121GLA

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 32):
Let's see... hmmmmmm

Fantastic post BNinMSY!

danild

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:18 pm

istanbul-munich-VENICE with Air Dolomiti....

I'm a Travel Agent and I have to say it's your fault as much as the travel agent who booked it.

Valencia in spanish does sound like Venecia, however I train all of our agents to double check the itineraries over the phone and instead of using arriver there... to say arrive in Valencia! or Venecia... Mistakes do happen but They should email you an itinerary and as a minimum read all the details over the phone twice. And if they have been in business for a while I'd be surprised if they didn't, so if you heard Venecia and didn't say anything it's also your fault.

This case can happen also because there is a Valencia in Venezuela, so not making sure you were going to the right one was amateurish also.

There are also customers who want to book to Washington but will never say they mean the State... so you have to always make sure.

Like any other system, as long as we are provided the right information, we will get you the best deal in 3 minutes where it would take the average traveller 3 hours to save $10 USD I don't understand that!. If you make $13 Dollars/hour at your job you just lost $39 USD to save $10.

Greetings!
Danild

Halophila

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:38 pm

what is the advantage of using a travel agent?

Although not the case here, we have little choice but to use a travel agent for business travel. Yes, you can make your own travel arrangements and pay for them, but reimbursements take a while, meaning you have to front the money.

Quoting LH121GLA (Reply 27):
At least booking with a Travel Agent, you get the professional backup that you may require from time to time when things go awry.

I had some bad experiences with travel agents in the town in which I live. Firstly, they were unable to come close to matching the fares I could find online (mostly $200 more for a trip from California to europe). They said simply "we don't have access to those fares". They were unwilling or unable to organize multiple tickets for open-jaw sectors (into Florida, out of Cape Verde), instead wanting to combine them on a single ticket costing a rediculous amount because it was with multiple carriers. They required payment through the university system within 24 h of getting an itinerary, and if they didn't receive it (which if you know the university I work at, is almost impossible), in several cases, the airfares went up by several hundred dollars...overnight. The only flights they seemed to book were at 6am from an airport 35 miles away from where we live. Finally, when we had them make changes to the tickets, they charged the $100 change fee, differene in fare (both I realise are standards), another service fee of $50 on each ticket, and finally requested middle seats for those personnel (I checked with the airline, and yes, they had actually requested middle seats).

I got the sense that there is a tendency to believe that since we are on university travel, that shouldn't have any say in flight times, airlines, or cost. This couldn't be further from the truth; every $ that we spend on travel is less money for research.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:04 pm

But yeah, ANCFlyer, try the International desks...they seem to man those with agents in the US.....I too, detest having to talk to an outsourced reservation office as they have to put you on hold for EVERY thing you ask them....Most are as helpful as a pair of tits on a bull......In most cases, I know more about the airline they are working for than they do......

Thanks for that . . . and I shall keep A-Netter M180UP handy as well, as he was the ONLY agent US Air had that managed to unscrew the reservation and get it done properly! Many kudos and much thanks to him!!!  praise 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

pilotaydin

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting Danild (Reply 34):
Valencia in spanish does sound like Venecia

im happy it sounds the same in spanish, but im from turkey and the person doing this is turkish....so how is it relevant?

BigOrange

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:55 am

Hazards of outsourcing your US reservations to the Philipines . I mean, if you're going to outsource, at least give the poor bastards a map!

That's scary considering they don't even fly to BHX. How did they propose getting you there, codeshare with National Express buses from MAN??

danild

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 37):
im happy it sounds the same in spanish, but im from turkey and the person doing this is turkish....so how is it relevant?

I don't speak turkish... but both destinations names are from latin languages so if you pronounce them in turkish anywhere similar to Italian, Spanish, French or Latin They will sound similar, chances are that even if you speak mandarin Venezia will still sound like Venecia and Valencia....

Do they sound similar in Turkish or do they sound very different?

I don't mean to be an A$$ all I'm saying is that in a business transaction where two parties are involved it's the responsability of both parties to make sure the terms of the agreement are clear. In your case they weren't.

[Edited 2006-11-20 19:13:36]
Danild

DTWAGENT

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 am

As a travel agent. If this is truly a mistake on their part. Let them know NOW. They would have to redo the ticket and I believe if you push them enough they would cover any extra cost to the ticket since it was the agents falt when booking this. Also, the agent has information to them on the correct IATA codes right in their GDS. As far as Air Dolomiti, they are in the star alliance. They are the only Reginal Airline that has been given Star Allieance status. But, if that ticket is wrong go back to that agent and get it cleared up NOW. Don't wait.

Chuck

swissy

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 am

It looks like a "simple" mistake from the agent and should be fixed asap or you will enjoy Venice.....  Smile just came back from there, 8 days with my wife, prices were ouch..., I am sure Valencia will be cheaper....

I am glad we still have all these travel agents and sure it is sometimes cheaper
booking by internet if you have a simple itinerary, like just a flight or rental car.....
Ever booked your own trip (flight, hotel, car) and in the middle of your vc the hotel is closing for good??? and you are left with no stay/reimbursement??

85% of the time I have to go and book trough a corporate travel agent at the beginning it was a pain but now they know me and I know them and the rest is history  Smile

So yes sh$$ happens and it is nice to see that "I am" not the only one out there.

Cheers,

by188b

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:01 am

next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

baw716

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am

Well, having been a IATA registered international travel consultant now for 28 years, I guess I have trouble understanding how someone could miss VLC and VEN, but with what average agents get paid these days...

If the agent made the mistake, in other words, you spelled out Valencia and you got Venice, then they need to fix it and eat the difference. Even if you put VLC, they should have known better....they need to fix it and you stand your ground.

Access-Air: You have to be kidding...if a client gives a city code, yes, verify the city code to assure that they have the right city, but if it is all correct, then if the agent messes up, its the agency's problem, not the customer's.

Also, divulging your view that most clients don't know where things are geographically is not a particularly smart thing to do. That kind of attitude makes it tougher for the rest of us to gain people's trust. Given that the internet has made "arm chair" travel agents out of a lot of people, its hard to find the real pros from the ones who think they are.

Pilotaydin,
If you need a hand, send me an IM...there are a few tricks I know that might help if you are getting nowhere with the agent.
Good luck,
Cheers,
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

ORD2pm

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 30):
if you booked it yourself online, you won't get that kind of benefit.

well, sounds like a travel agent making commercial for travel agencies. Hey, why not?  Smile

WesternA318

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:16 pm

I mean, if you're going to outsource, at least give the poor bastards a map!

LOL

I once called NCL for a cruise in the Caribbean.

Me: "I'd like tobook on your 6-day Western Caribbean package, with an add-on from Salt Lake City:

Agent: tap tap tap " I'm sorry sir, I dont think we have ANY boats leaving out of Salt Lake..."

banghead 
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

HT

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:37 pm

Quoting BAW716 (Reply 43):
having been a IATA registered international travel consultant now for 28 years, I guess I have trouble understanding how someone could miss VLC and VEN

I understand your comment if you replace VEN by VCE ...  Wink

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 45):
Me: "I'd like tobook on your 6-day Western Caribbean package, with an add-on from Salt Lake City:

Agent: tap tap tap " I'm sorry sir, I dont think we have ANY boats leaving out of Salt Lake..."

ROFL !
-HT

LH121GLA

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:23 pm

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0061112/LIFE09/611120317/1052/LIFE

baw716

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:40 am

HT...
I wondered how many people would pick that up!! I actually did that on purpose.
There is no city that has VEN as a code.

Of course, after 28 years, I do have to look up a code now and then.

Nice job!
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

pilotaydin

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:09 am

by the way i sorted it all out, thankfully there were just enough seats left for our whole group, apparently the same issue existed for myself and 15 others in my group lol but it's sorted now  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos