mk777

Why No SQ, CX & TG Service At IAD?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 pm

Why don't SQ, CX or TG serve IAD?

I am sure KE (ICN-IAD) and NH (NRT-IAD) do well on these routes.

Is it because not a lot of customer demand and/or cargo from IAD to BKK, HKG or SIN?

Their inflight service being one of the best in the world, I personally would take these airlines to go to far east destinations, even India and australia from IAD.
come fly with me

GneissGuy

RE: Why No SQ, CX & TG Service At IAD?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:32 am

Not enough equipment???

But seriously, i think SQ will relook the US market once the new planes come about

eastern023

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:20 am

SQ ann TG should serve IAD. I am sure there would be enough demand and also these airlines are UA Star Alliance buddies. Good deal all around, specially for us whose IAD is the home airport.
AA will Rise Again!

warreng24

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 2):
SQ ann TG should serve IAD. I am sure there would be enough demand and also these airlines are UA Star Alliance buddies.

Personally, I feel that TG would benefit more from connecting traffic at ORD.

ORD seems to be more "logical" for east coast connections. Why head directly south from PHL/BOS or directly north from ATL/MIA/RDU/CLT to connect in IAD?

Ryanair!!!

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 pm

Quoting Mk777 (Thread starter):
Is it because not a lot of customer demand and/or cargo from IAD to BKK, HKG or SIN?

Yep, you said it! I think there was a similar thread sometime last week. Not only there isn't a lot of demand, there isn't a lot of business going on between Washington DC and Asia, as compared to Los Angeles, New York or SF. Even on sectors that are strong in cargo, I only see ORD as a likely candidate to have pax services restored before SQ would even think about anywhere else.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

787kq

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 pm

As much as I'd like to see more international carriers at IAD, I doubt there will be many Far East carriers like SQ or CX, which rely on premium business traffic. The carriers most likely to fly in would be those like Emirates or Qatar, who carry a lot of economy traffic.

I haven't flown ANA in a while, but I thought their business class was the worst and I refused to fly them again until they upgraded the service to IAD, which has been done. Before the business class recline was like domestic first class, which is torture, especially if Tokyo is only a fast transit to another Asian flight.

Stitch

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting Mk777 (Thread starter):
Why don't SQ, CX or TG serve IAD?

Well from "now" forward, it's not necessary, as UA will soon fly IAD-NRT (if they have not already started) and from NRT UA serves SIN, HKG and BKK.

I imagine when NH flew the route as a UA codeshare, one just connected to the UA flights at NRT, as well.

Also, I am going to guess most if not all US government travel to Asia was booked on UA from NRT and the UA codeshare to NRT. This could be why UA agreed to give NH their JFK-NRT slot (to allow NH to offer additional service) in exchange for IAD-NRT.

mk777

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting 787kq (Reply 5):
The carriers most likely to fly in would be those like Emirates or Qatar, who carry a lot of economy traffic.

I think these carriers should definitely look into it. What about Indian carriers at IAD, since that will be included in Aisan carriers as well?
come fly with me