flyf15

Why Are Passengers So Rude To Pilots?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:04 am

Ok guys, I need to vent.

The other day I was rushing to my gate for a flight I had just been reassigned to while on my cellphone with crew scheduling working things out to try to minimize the delay the passengers were going to endure. A lady, walking opposite direction to me, blocked my path, I tried to step around her, she once again blocked my path, and then proceeded to demand I tell her where she can pick up her suitcase (with no other information, such as her airline or flight). Did she not notice that I was in a rush, let alone on the phone? You wouldn't do this to someone you walked by on the street. She started talking to me without even greeting me and once I told her where baggage claim was, she left without even a "thank you."

Stuff like this happens on a daily basis. I get yelled at by passengers all the time over things that have nothing to do with me or I have no control over.... you're angry that we're delayed due to the blizzard outside the window 20ft away, or you're angry that your flight had bad turbulence (nevermind the fact that I wasn't flying, and it wasn't even on my airline), you're angry that you expect me to know every piece of information you could want and that I can't produce it for you, or... you get the idea. And you want to express all this without treating me like a human being, showing me respect, or conducting any logical thought beforehand.

Even though I'm in that uniform and an airline employee, the fact that you spent hundreds of dollars on your ticket to get you to grandma's house does not change the fact that I should to be treated with respect. I always treat you with respect and always do my best to help you with whatever your problem may be even if it has nothing to do with my position at the airline.... so how about realizing I'm a person too? The only difference is that I'm at work.

a3

RE: Why Are Passengers So Rude To Pilots?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Thread starter):
Ok guys, I need to vent.

Maybe you over-vented  Smile

I do not know how you meet the passengers, but when I fly getting in or out of the plane I usually don¢t see any pilot. They are usually in the cockpit working.
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

Junction

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:30 am

I'm glad you vented. Most people take air transportation completely for granted, and have no idea what it actually takes to get their butt from point A to point B. The "right to fly" is deeply entrenched into the global agenda now, and unfortunately the days of respect from customers for occupations such as airline captain or ship captain are pretty much gone. Just remember you still hold the wild card of refusing to transport anyone you want on your flight.

futurecaptain

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:33 am

Oh well. You're in a uniform at an airport, people will ask you questions. They dont care if you dont work for the airline they're flying, they just want an answer. So, you can either ignore them or send them in the opposite direction they want for a bit of fun.  devil  If I was you and was truly in a rush I'd ignore the lady and get to my plane.
I've found out it doesn't matter what uniform you are in, as long as you wear one and are in an airport you will be asked a question. Once I had to pick up some people and had to wear my work uniform, while standing outside the security area people coming out would walk toward me and ask where things are. Stupid, ignorant people, my uniform doesnt look anything like I work at an airport IMO.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:38 am

Maybe she was on a flight and those behind the door up front never made a P/A to inform the passengers of anything about the flight at all let alone what gate or what terminal the plane was parking which seems to be more and more the norm these days! Might as well be a robot up front pushing the buttons and turning the knobs.

My take is she was thanking you for being rude to her on her flight and really didn't care who you fly for or if you were the pilot on her flight.

Having said that, she was in my mind in need of a good ole smart ass remark.  twocents 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

EDDB

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:40 am

It's the uniform... Nothing more, nothing less!

But it could be worse, believe me! My girlfriend (uniform!)was waiting for the subway yesterday when someone came along and asked her if she would like to abuse him this evening!

no 

airfoilsguy

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:41 am

It seems that people are getting more rude year by year. The first post just clarifies this. Do what I do when rude people demand information from me, give them the wrong info or send them on a wild goose chase. Big grin
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

AirScoot

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:54 am

I'll agree that passengers can be exceptionally rude to airline employees but..

Quoting Iahflyr (Reply 6):
Maybe she was on a flight and those behind the door up front never made a P/A to inform the passengers of anything about the flight at all let alone what gate or what terminal the plane was parking which seems to be more and more the norm these days! Might as well be a robot up front pushing the buttons and turning the knobs.

checkmark 

I think passengers are far nastier to gate agents, ticket agents, and flight attendants than they are to pilots. That comes with the idea that they paid to get from point A to point B and regardless of what's happening outside they expect to be there on time - if not early - regardless of unforseen circumstances.

I also have to say that I personally know more than my fair share of pilots who need to be taken down a notch or two just from the attitude they have. Something about being a feeling of entitlement and/or omnipotence.

As I don't know the OP.. I can't say for sure if that's the case..  duck 

MD88Captain

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:55 am

Those that are rude to you are rude to everyone. They probably assume that because you are in uniform and presumably on duty that you will absorb their rudeness without protest. I do not. But, I am happy to help when I can. If people have that bewildered look, I usually stop to help. When I am accosted by rudeness I let them know that their behavior is out-of-bounds. Last month some women just grabbed me hard by the arm to stop me. She got an earful about that, but then she got her directions. There are some delightful people out there, but the all-about-me crowd can be tough to take.

I really do not know how gate agents and FA's keep their sense of humor about the idiots that they have to deal with everyday. At least 1 out of every 100 pax is a lunatic.

jgardiner

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:01 am

Have you seen those signs that basically say that abuse of staff will not be tolerated? Why are those signs even necessary? What ever happened to manners, politeness and consideration? Treat people the way you want to be treated and we will all get along so much better.

charlienorth

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:04 am

Don't you know..that the cheaper then Greyhound ticket they bought entitles them to abuse you!!
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

airzim

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:05 am

What's the difference between a jet engine and a pilot?

The engine stops whining when it get to the gate.

yyz717

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:07 am

Even though I'm in that uniform and an airline employee, the fact that you spent hundreds of dollars on your ticket to get you to grandma's house does not change the fact that I should to be treated with respect.

That lady who stopped you and "blocked" your path is the CUSTOMER. She is the reason you even have a job. So help her with all your energy and hope that she continues to fly with your airline.

You're in a service industry....and she (the customer) deserves your respect, long before you deserve hers.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Cody

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 am

Flyf15 I empathize with you. I see this every day myself. Last week I had a customer call me a name that began with the letter "F" due to an ATC delay. This guy was wearing a suit and was around 60 or so. I shouldn't single him out, because I see goofy things like this every week. One woman recently started screaming at me because she thought the cabin was too cold. She was about 45 or so and was wearing "Hello Kitty" pajamas. Let's see, what else? I had a guy tell me he ought to kill me because ATC put a ground hold on our flight. He was upset because he would miss his Tee-off and apparently thought that I deserved to die because of a typical day in the Northeast air traffic control system. This was after we explained to everyone that it was an ATC flow control problem into a busy airport with bad weather all around it. His exact words, "I ought-a kill you for making me late for my tee-off."

Here's some more, I had a woman go ballistic on me because she missed her ComAir flight because of traffic and she didn't leave herself enough time to get to the airport. I don't even work for ComAir! One woman poked her head up in the cockpit, a few years back, and told me that I wasn't a very good pilot because the ride was a little bumpy and the pilots that flew her last week made it smooth. Every time we have a long delay, on the ground, and we allow people to use their cell phones "under the agreement that they may have to end their calls abruptly" if we get a sudden clearance, there is always one person who thinks he can keep talking. I could go and on.

Do you want me to tell you the truth? Beginning around 1994 or so, something very strange has happened. Out of no where, a large chunk of the population became overbearing, cross, and ignorant. They just spout off at the mouth about things they have no clue about. Manners hardly exist anymore! People can't even drive anymore! I am taking an online history class and you should see some of the responses people give to test questions! It's not just aviation, it's everywhere!

I advice you to entertain yourself by the behavior of these people. It's the only thing that gets me through the day until it's time to go home or to the hotel. At that point I lock the doors and don't come out until I have to.

naritaflyer

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Junction (Reply 4):
I'm glad you vented. Most people take air transportation completely for granted, and have no idea what it actually takes to get their butt from point A to point B. The "right to fly" is deeply entrenched into the global agenda now, and unfortunately the days of respect from customers for occupations such as airline captain or ship captain are pretty much gone. Just remember you still hold the wild card of refusing to transport anyone you want on your flight.

I think you are living in your own castle in the air here. hang on a second, customers are in no way obliged to respect you. You on the other hand, are obliged to respect customers who are paying to fly. If they're unhappy with you they'll fly on someone else. But your attitude is very typical of employees of most legacy Western carriers.

You have to understand that nobodies suddenly demand to be a somebody when they travel. I don't know why this is the case but customers tend to become very unreasonable at airports, hotels and restaurants. I'm not saying this is right but it's a fact and if you are in that business you have to be ready to face that kind of attitude from customers. In Japan we have several ways of dealing with situations like these and perhaps western airlines would be wise to train their employees the same way. Sometimes I'll get really upset and fired up but once I start complaining the reaction of the crew settles me down right away. But it all has to start with stopping to blame the customer and handle them better.

[Edited 2006-11-21 19:15:51]

jkudall

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:10 am

Try being a customer service agent...

Comeflywithme

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 am

Gosh not a lot of sympathy here!!

In my book if they don't say please they don't get an answer.

AirScoot

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Comeflywithme (Reply 22):
Gosh not a lot of sympathy here!!

In my book if they don't say please they don't get an answer.

Sorry.. as someone who has had to work behind the counter, I have absolutely zero sympathy for a pilot.. especially given some rather lovely memories of pilots acting worse than the passengers described here.

Junction

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 20):
customers are in no way obliged to respect you. You on the other hand, are obliged to respect customers who are paying to fly.

Agreed 100% I simply don't understand why anyone would bother a pilot for such matters rather then read the signs.

flyf15

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:32 am

Well, I suppose I need to clarify something. I always treat passengers with respect, and I always help them out. That being the problem with my example of the lady that interrupted me, I didn't simply avoid her... I helped her out. But I was simply shocked at her behavior.

And things like this happen every day, just as Cody said. I swear, people check their brains, common sense, and courtesy with their luggage. I know its not just me who gets this, I get just a small portion of it... the flight attendants and customer service agents get it 100x worse.

Seriously, people, just show some respect. It doesn't matter who you're talking to... your neighbor, the guy next to you on the bus, the pilot of your airplane. You'd be amazed as to how much easier it'll make your life too.

SonOfACaptain

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:36 am

I guess there is a reason by dad refuses to commute with his uniform on...

But don't take it personal. People are just rude in general.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

PanAm747

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:09 am

Quote:
Boo hoo.

Dont be so self-pityful, it's degenerative and a waste of time.

There are plenty of other careers in the world where people receive a lot less respect than an airline pilot does.

Interesting...first response is one of the rudest response I've ever seen here.

It's not just a.net - everyone is or has been rude to someone at some time, present company included.

We're justified in feeling superior, aren't we? We work SO hard at our treacherous jobs that it's somehow "okay" to be rude every now and then.  vomit 

Quote:
Are you the same idiot who posted the same thing on flight info? Just remember those PASSENGERS pay your bills. Im tired of all the guys who just think passengers are there to annoy them. Yes I agree they can be a pain and they can be annoying when your in the middle of a conversation. GRRR You make me so mad. I guess im done venting now.

Good. Remember that the next time someone is rude to you and others justify that rudeness as "part-of-your-job-if-you-don't-like-it-quit-and-find-another-job".

I try and teach my students that rudeness, under any circumstances, is NOT acceptable behavior. It is a sign of a weak mind. You may be frustrated, angry, tired, whatever...but if you go down that path, you will have it come back to you when you least expect it, and you will be just as hurt and frustrated as the person that you did it to!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jetdude

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:11 am

You know, its like being in any service oriented job. You can tout that you/we are safety professionals (some are, some aren't) but what it comes down to is....people are people, no one likes someone that has been rude, but we have all been rude. Get over it, its part of the customer service industry. If you expect people to just respect you, your expectations are too high.

Take a deep breath and let it go. She has probably never given it a second throught and look at how much time and energy has been wasted over her not acting the way you would have liked her to have acted.

Bridogger6

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 am

Yeah... well just be thankful you're not a customer service agent, we take the brunt of it, I assure you!

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting Jetdude (Reply 28):
I think a bunch of you are full of "you know what" and have very poor people skills. I'm a teacher. Parents of students feel they can yell at me, question my character, professionalism, training, ability, manhood, anything they can think of. Every time this happens, the reason is that their child did not live up to their end of the deal, by not coming to class, not turning in work, not studying. No one owns up to their responsibility.
I have no idea when it became "OK" to treat people with no respect. Whether you are a pilot, CSA, teacher, mechanic, doctor, people feel that because they "pay" for your salary that they own you. They can all go "you know where" and enjoy the warm environment.
People in other countries don't behave like this. This is a serious problem in US society and it only gets worse. This is a generation that has grown up getting everything they wanted and they don't usually like to hear an opinion that is different than theirs. Just because you wear a suit and make a big income does not give you the right to act like an idiot. Money does not buy class.
And no, I'm not angry nor am I unhappy. I love my job, but the few spoiled apples do a great job trying to ruin my happiness.

FLY2LIM

Sorry, but you have never been yelled at, until you have worked for an airline, trust me, I used to be a 911 operator. The people that fly feel they can treat any airline employee like dirt, and get away with it. I put up with so much and then, "they cross the line", that is when I will deny them boarding, because I would not and will not stick some "douchehead" in the air with one of "my crews", and they can scream all they want, the airport Police are just a call away....I am sorry, but if you cannot act civilized on the ground, I seriously doubt you are going to behave in the air....and MY pilots and FA's do NOT need to deal with it !!! Nor will they, when I am at the front counter !
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

thegreatchecko

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 am

My take on these situations is that the reason that people come up and ask us questions is that, yes, they do look at pilots in the same eye that people once did.

We are seen as professionals, so if someone sees a pilot in uniform or someone delivering boxes to the gift shop, who are they going to ask?

I'm not trying to be pompous and prove I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. All I am saying is that pilots as a profession are still seen differently by the general public. The least we can do is be polite and help them out as best we can.

These are situations where one person can truely make a difference and be the difference between making a loyal customer or loosing one.

Its hard to keep a positve attitude every day. But I want to make sure that if a passenger gets on my plane I have done everything I can to make their flight experience a good one.

I want them to walk off that plane thinking, "Man, everyone else didn't have a clue, but the people on that plane were great!" Obviously a worse case scenario, I'd like them to have had a great experience with everyone, but its my goal.

The other day I was rushing to my gate for a flight I had just been reassigned to while on my cellphone with crew scheduling working things out to try to minimize the delay the passengers were going to endure. A lady, walking opposite direction to me, blocked my path, I tried to step around her, she once again blocked my path, and then proceeded to demand I tell her where she can pick up her suitcase (with no other information, such as her airline or flight). Did she not notice that I was in a rush, let alone on the phone? You wouldn't do this to someone you walked by on the street. She started talking to me without even greeting me and once I told her where baggage claim was, she left without even a "thank you."

Fly,

As frustrating as it is, its part of the job. When we are in the terminal, in uniform, it happens. Was she being rude and a general pain, yes, but that's no reason to bring yourself down to her level and ignore her.

Disney has a term for this, being "on stage." Anytime a cast memeber is in a public area in costume on Disney property, they are expected to act a certain way. It works the same for us, unfortunately, our stage is anywhere we are with a uniform on.

Does that mean you can't use your phone, no, but does it mean that you should have attempted to answer her question and just kept on going, instead of ignoring her, yes. It probably would have taken less time, too.

BTW, It's crew scheduling, I'm sure they've made you wait before, I think they can handle 10 seconds.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Airzim (Reply 17):

Appreciate the constructiveness there.

Any more stereotypes that you want to pass along? I'm sure I was doing this for the money and the women as well!  Yeah sure

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 18):

That lady who stopped you and "blocked" your path is the CUSTOMER. She is the reason you even have a job. So help her with all your energy and hope that she continues to fly with your airline.

You're in a service industry....and she (the customer) deserves your respect, long before you deserve hers.

While I agree that customers do pay our salary and are the reason we are there, that is no way to ellicit help, she didn't even ask. Its no excuse to be rude back, but still, her actions aren't the proper way to address another person.

I surely hope you don't treat airline employees the same way. If you do, I'm sure you wonder why you always get the middle seat, ALL the way in the back, and never seem to get a seat when you are on standby.

Just remember, we are people too, not slaves. A little bit of politeness can go a long way. (Yes, I know this works both ways  Smile )

Quoting Cody (Reply 19):
His exact words, "I ought-a kill you for making me late for my tee-off."

That would have been grounds to take him off the flight and have the local PD give him a talking to. I can take rudeness, but PLEASE, don't threaten me.

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 23):

Sorry.. as someone who has had to work behind the counter, I have absolutely zero sympathy for a pilot.. especially given some rather lovely memories of pilots acting worse than the passengers described here.

I've worked customer service and have been on that end myself. I know how bad it can be.

Unlike you apparently, I have nothing but respect everyone I work with, including gate agents, and and I do everything I can to make their life easier. Working for an airline can be no treat, why make it harder on each other?

If you run into a pain in the ass pilot, deal with it through the proper channels, he'll be talked to, I can assure you of that. You'd be surprised how far your messages can go.

But, please be nice to the rest of us, we are probably just trying to get home. Smile

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

thegreatchecko

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Zephyr98 (Reply 31):
Sorry, but you have never been yelled at, until you have worked for an airline, trust me, I used to be a 911 operator. The people that fly feel they can treat any airline employee like dirt, and get away with it. I put up with so much and then, "they cross the line", that is when I will deny them boarding, because I would not and will not stick some "douchehead" in the air with one of "my crews", and they can scream all they want, the airport Police are just a call away....I am sorry, but if you cannot act civilized on the ground, I seriously doubt you are going to behave in the air....and MY pilots and FA's do NOT need to deal with it !!! Nor will they, when I am at the front counter !

From all of us, thank you! If they can't treat you with some decorum, they don't deserve to fly that day. Maybe if they spend a day thinking about it, they'll act better the next time.

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

AirScoot

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 32):
Quoting AirScoot (Reply 23):

I've worked customer service and have been on that end myself. I know how bad it can be.

Unlike you apparently, I have nothing but respect everyone I work with, including gate agents, and and I do everything I can to make their life easier. Working for an airline can be no treat, why make it harder on each other?

I said sympathy, not respect. Please be absolutely clear when it comes to the difference between the two. I always respected the pilots I worked with and was more than happy to bend over backwards for them as long as they were able to act with a little civility. I will say without fear of contradiction that there were more than a few that really needed a knock back down to reality. Part of the original question on here was why the OP was treated so rudely. My answer was that pilots have a (in many cases well earned) reputation for being overly brusque and in some cases abusive - not only to the gate staff but also to the public. They've also been heard to whine excessively about (insert work-driven complaint here). I've seen it more than once so don't try to pretend that it doesn't happen. In my experience it propogates a stereotype. Further to that, actions such as UA's summer of hell don't help. Often times when dealing with that sort of image of someone in a uniform with wings on his/her chest the gut reaction of most people would be to be agressive.

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 32):
Disney has a term for this, being "on stage." Anytime a cast memeber is in a public area in costume on Disney property, they are expected to act a certain way. It works the same for us, unfortunately, our stage is anywhere we are with a uniform on.

Does that mean you can't use your phone, no, but does it mean that you should have attempted to answer her question and just kept on going, instead of ignoring her, yes. It probably would have taken less time, too.

BTW, It's crew scheduling, I'm sure they've made you wait before, I think they can handle 10 seconds.

I've worked for Disney as well. I will agree with you 100% here. Disney is the one place you have to learn to grin and bear it.. all for just over minimum wage. That said, it brings home the point that you reap what you sow. Give a Disney cast member a little common courtesy and you get treated like gold. Push it far enough, and you'd be surprised how slow your day will become.

[Edited 2006-11-21 21:10:49]

AirSpare

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:13 am

It goes both ways, rude customers and clients.

But I have a great time BS'ing with agents, pilots and FAs (they seem to be the least likely to actually enjoy a conversation with PAX).

Smile, it will get you an upgrade once in a while, it did me, 10 bucks to upgrdade from cattle to biz in CDG-MIA free cattle to biz from a cheap Travelocity ticket GRU-MIA. Free from Frankfurt to Mia, cattle to Biz.

I heard some good jokes from pilots also, and BS about what they flew during the Cold War, the avionics I worked. Life is to enjoy. I was laughing with a AA agent as she booked my flight, she could'nt figure out my schedule. Who cares, we laughed as she looked at a worse reservation that she looked at that I flew in 1990 when I worked for a security contractor (amazing that AA has that available at the ticket counter still).

I understand how you feel though, we all want to enjoy work as it takes up so much of our lives, but somedays, it really just sucks.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:14 am

Exactly....they have no business going thru security when they call us names, and trust me, they have some beautiful "colorful eplanatives" they call us at the ticket counter, not to mention throwing items...and it will be A cold day in, that place before they get on one of "my" planes, with "my" crews.....like I said, if they cannot behave at ground level, imagine what fun they would be 10,000 feet in the air......

futurecaptain

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting Cody (Reply 19):
His exact words, "I ought-a kill you for making me late for my tee-off."

You should have had him removed from the plane and seen what happened. Being angry is one thing, but threatening a life over a late plane is another.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

turnit56N

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:27 am

Eh, I chalk it up to people being so stressed when they travel. This is a particularly bad time of year for this. I try to put myself in the shoes of someone who flies once or twice a year, and isn't at all familiar with the process. Airports are big, confusing, crowded (especially at the holidays), you have to wait in long lines (especially at the holidays), infrequent flyers don't really know how long the whole process is going to take, there are big consequences for not being where you should be at the right time and little actual face-to-face customer service these days. It has to be stressful for the infrequent flyer even if they did allow enough time to muddle through all of this.

In any situation, a person who is stressed is going to react differently than they normally would. Someone who is the soul of politeness getting their daily coffee at Starbucks will act like a complete jerk at the airport simply because they're in an unfamiliar situation, confused, and stressed. Or, in the words of a thousand airline employees "People leave their brains at home when they fly".

So when I'm booking it through the terminal and I see an elderly man standing in the middle of the hall bewildered with people flying by on all sides and no obvious place to get answers, I'm not surprised or offended when he latches on to the first person in a uniform and demands me to tell him where he's supposed to go. He's not rude, he's just stressed. He also probably isn't really aware I'm a pilot. Honestly, I'm only a bit of colored trim away from being a skycap and only a hat and a few extra stripes away from being a gate agent. To him, I'm just someone official who is familiar with the airport (he thinks) and will probably be able to help him. And usually, he's right. I find it more calming for me to assume that passengers' "rudeness" is just stress. If I have time to help them, that will reduce the overall holiday stress level in the airport.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

BoeingOnFinal

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 am

I can't wait to get into the airline industry and get yelled at for things I have no control over. "I'll try to calm the turbulence down next time" :p

Anyway, try being a carpenter. You can't shut the house owner you are building a house for out of the room like you can in a cockpit.
They wander around, looking at'cha, trying to find something to complain about.
Or something to change cause they are in a different mood. Or shouting because I put the wall up wrong (might be true a couple of times though).

Anyways, I don't complain. Just do the job because I like it. Now I like aviation, and I'm going to do that job someday too without complaining.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

SJCRRPAX

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:31 am

You should wear your hat backwards. Nobody will ask a guy wearing a hat backwards a question. IF they do ask you, be sure to reply, "DO I LOOK LIKE A ROADMAP?"

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:48 am

gate agents would catch more hell.....hee

[Edited 2006-11-21 22:01:36]

MD11FR8Jock

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:59 am

I have had the same experience flying nonrev and several airports and i have nothing but empathy for you guys that fly "humans" on a daily basis. When i was a kid a pilot (At the airport or not) was a revered person. Its sorry to see people treat the one person that has so much responsibility for their safety and well being.

speedbird203

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:00 am

To me i thought this was more the way around as far as experience with it goes, It hasn't happened lately but, When flying NWA 32 from DTW-LGW i thought the Pilots were rude, They never said ANYTHING at all during that flight to the passengers, The only announcements they made was to the crew. Is it a common that Pilots and the crew have different attitudes on Red Eye flights?
Metro Tower 135.0

MiCorazonAzul

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Airzim (Reply 17):

ain't that the truth........
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

SJCRRPAX

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting SpeedBird203 (Reply 43):
Is it a common that Pilots and the crew have different attitudes on Red Eye flights?

Yes, I think people want to sleep on a Red Eye, not listen to the Pilot talk about, "We're now at 35,000 feet, and if it wasn't dark you could see Mt. Rushmore below us, and we'll be about 5 minutes early, unless we are late, and the weather at your destination is 15 celsius, thats about 63 farenheit.... blah, blah, blah... "

flyf15

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting SpeedBird203 (Reply 43):
Is it a common that Pilots and the crew have different attitudes on Red Eye flights?

We're encouraged by our company to only make minimal announcements on flights in the evening/at night. Its not to be rude, actually quite the opposite. We can't control the volume of the PA system from up front. If we end up with a loud one, the last thing I want to do is wake up all 50 of my sleeping pax in the back. Its a courtesy to all of those sleeping to not say anything more than we need to.

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:28 am

quote=Turnit56N,reply=38]Eh, I chalk it up to people being so stressed when they travel. This is a particularly bad time of year for this. I try to put myself in the shoes of someone who flies once or twice a year, and isn't at all familiar with the process. Airports are big, confusing, crowded (especially at the holidays), you have to wait in long lines (especially at the holidays), infrequent flyers don't really know how long the whole process is going to take, there are big consequences for not being where you should be at the right time and little actual face-to-face customer service these days. It has to be stressful for the infrequent flyer even if they did allow enough time to muddle through all of this.

In any situation, a person who is stressed is going to react differently than they normally would. Someone who is the soul of politeness getting their daily coffee at Starbucks will act like a complete jerk at the airport simply because they're in an unfamiliar situation, confused, and stressed. Or, in the words of a thousand airline employees "People leave their brains at home when they fly".

So when I'm booking it through the terminal and I see an elderly man standing in the middle of the hall bewildered with people flying by on all sides and no obvious place to get answers, I'm not surprised or offended when he latches on to the first person in a uniform and demands me to tell him where he's supposed to go. He's not rude, he's just stressed. He also probably isn't really aware I'm a pilot. Honestly, I'm only a bit of colored trim away from being a skycap and only a hat and a few extra stripes away from being a gate agent. To him, I'm just someone official who is familiar with the airport (he thinks) and will probably be able to help him. And usually, he's right. I find it more calming for me to assume that passengers' "rudeness" is just stress. If I have time to help them, that will reduce the overall holiday stress level in the airport.[/quote]

not true....I will make sure that the makes it to his gate.....we are talkng about pax that treat flight crew's like they are dirt, usually after trying to treat the "ground crew" the same way. I am sorry, but just because a pilot is walking thru an airport does not make him an expert on every Airline in that particular gate area....and some people think they should be, eventhough they are just commuting to their base.....for that matter, I DO Not know every gate that WN uses, but because I am standing by a gate people feel I should know everything.....is rather frustrating, especially when they swear at you because you dont have the info they need......

Curmudgeon

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:44 am

I agree that rudeness from the general public is on the increase. While I try do whatever it takes to make a passenger's journey less fraught, I am also quite willing to punish rudeness for it's own sake.

I'd hit the brakes and have Mr. Death Threat forcibly removed and arrested. Homeland security has plenty of guys with rubber gloves just waiting for something to do. No exceptions...any profanity, threats, dirty looks get rewarded with a police interview.

The other thing to when confronted with rudeness is simply to give the wrong answer: Q:Where's my bags? A: Your bags didn't make the flight.
Jets are for kids

peteg913

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:51 am

Why are you all saying such rude things to him? He makes a very good point. While she is the customer, she didn't fly HIS airline, and asked him in probably the rudest way possible.

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:56 am

Eggzactly !!!! And as I have said in many previous posts......don't even think about touching my flight crews....or I will "have you for dinner". And sorry, but if you have any stripes on your uniform, "you know everything" . One of the biatches of being a pilot, in an airport

[Edited 2006-11-21 23:04:55]

macc

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 am

may I throw the light on a different spot?

Yes, there are all sorts of assholes, psychos and maniacs out there among the crowd of passengers. no question most of them are a pain in the ass of anyone having to deal with them.

But! Ever spent a thought about the even larger number of completely normal, straight, kind people who are travelling and who have to cope with all those rude STAFF at airports and airplanes?

I could tell many situation when I was treated in a way I would have refused the service, were it not for the money already paid and the flight already underway. Someone mentioned it above, pax are more and more regarded as freight.

So, next time a lady stands in your way, screw her if she is worth the 5 minutes delay and tell your pax the (rude) security screened you intensively. they would understand. Or kick her ass and walk away. But make sure you tell all your colleagues around you, that pax are not at all just an uncomfortable side effect of your business.

(there was a study recently published that US is the least inviting country for tourists, simply because of the people being afraid of the immigration procedure. Tourists complained about rude staff at immigration and security and many are afraid being arrested if they would complain. this should give you a hint...)

amen, bro!
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

turnit56N

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting Zephyr98 (Reply 47):
I am sorry, but just because a pilot is walking thru an airport does not make him an expert on every Airline in that particular gate area....and some people think they should be, eventhough they are just commuting to their base.....for that matter, I DO Not know every gate that WN uses, but because I am standing by a gate people feel I should know everything.....is rather frustrating, especially when they swear at you because you dont have the info they need......

Hey, you don't need to tell me that pilots don't know their way around every airport. The majority of the time when someone asks me where something is, I'm at an outstation and I have no clue. However, I try to look at things from that person's point of view. They see an official person and they assume that I'll know my way around the airport. They don't know that flight crews generally are only really familiar with their airline's hubs and their own home airport. If they're stressed out from the travelling, they may ask very rudely. If they're just a jerk who thinks everyone in a uniform is their servant and obligated to bend over backward because "they pay my salary", they may also ask very rudely. I would rather assume they're the former because it stresses ME out less to think that people aren't all jerks who have no respect for airline employees. Besides, there are a lot of people who get confused at what all the numbers and letters on the boarding pass mean. Even if I'm not familiar with the airport, a quick glance at their boarding pass and at the signs will give me enough information to reassure them that they are going in the right direction.

Besides, if people don't have respect for airline employees anymore, why not try to change that? I can blow off the family asking where they need to go, and give them the impression that pilots are arrogant and rude.....or I can be friendly, attempt to help them and leave them with the impression of pilots as helpful professionals. It takes on average five seconds to do the latter, and there are very few times I can't spare five seconds.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

DCrawley

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am

No matter what anyone says, it's good to anonymously vent your frustrations from time to time no matter what it's about or where you work! I have noticed that negative events at work sure stick out in my mind more than the many positive ones. I'd just recommend not to take it to heart. More than likely you will never see most of these rude people in your life again so I find it easier to just brush it off my shoulder and let karma work itself out  Smile.

Quoting ExpressJet_ERJ (Reply 9):
If you dont it quit! Are you the same idiot who posted the same thing on flight info? Just remember those PASSENGERS pay your bills. Im tired of all the guys who just think passengers are there to annoy them. Yes I agree they can be a pain and they can be annoying when your in the middle of a conversation. GRRR You make me so mad. I guess im done venting now.

id·i·ot (d-t)
n.
·A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

"idiot." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 21 Nov. 2006.

I'm confused as to how he could be an idiot.. In my opinion, I think you post speaks more about yourself than whom you quoted.

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 10):
One thing I hate the most is people who are rude. Is it not that hard to show some damn manners in public?

I surely don't think so but for some of my friends, whom I love dearly, it's always been a problem.

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 20):
customers are in no way obliged to respect you

Here are my feelings on your words: You don't have to like me, but I demand respect when I'm being respectful. I'm not saying you have to like what I have to say, but respect it because I'm respecting you.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 27):

I try and teach my students that rudeness, under any circumstances, is NOT acceptable behavior. It is a sign of a weak mind. You may be frustrated, angry, tired, whatever...but if you go down that path, you will have it come back to you when you least expect it, and you will be just as hurt and frustrated as the person that you did it to!!

I'm very thankful for teachers. So thank you PanAm747 and FLY2LIM -- your service to humanity is much appreciated!

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

VonRichtofen

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 am

The standards of public behavior have really gone downhill lately. Especially in North America.
Just because the passengers pay the bills doesn't mean they can act like complete morons and be rude. That's the problem with North America these days, people think that just because they paid for something they can do whatever hell they want. I used to work at a hotel, and sometimes we'd get unruly guests who bother other guests or ruin stuff in the room. They'd always say "well I'm paying for the room, I can do what I want!" Well... No you can't.

I'm not sure what's responsible for this lowering of the standards, but it's evident everywhere. Even on TV. Look at our so called "educational" stations, there used to be shows about science, technology, history etc. Now it's meat head motorbike builders screaming at each other  Yeah sure

Kris

zephyr98

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:07 am

You are right of course, it only takes me a minute to tell some "idiot" to look at the board, and see where their flight is.....but I still do not understand why someone with stripes must become a tour guide, when there are a zillion electronic boards placed thru out the airport, which state exactly which gate the person needs to go to, not to mention, it is written on their ticket...imagine that....and the fact that the ticket agent, who tells them where to go, is ignored while they are on their cell phone, has nothing to do with it.....of course some of us "mean" ticket agents will not talk to them, until they are done with their other conversation....

[Edited 2006-11-22 00:14:13]

csavel

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 29):
This is a serious problem in US society and it only gets worse. This is a generation that has grown up getting everything they wanted and they don't usually like to hear an opinion that is different than theirs.

This is the problem in a nutshell, also with cellphones, credit cards, Internet, everyone is used to "having it now" and can be thrown into a tantrum when they can't have it now.

But as a US-ian, I must say the rest of the world, especially the formerly queuing, bad teeth, polite Britain, is catching up quickly. I've seen some crazy shit at LHR and the accents for the most part were local.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.