BFS
Topic Author

BA 737s - Where Are They From?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:05 am

Apart from their factory-ordered -436s, it appears that BA's are a bit of a mismatch with several variations between each type and reg. does anybody know the history of these aircraft and where they were obtained from?

Shamrock_747

RE: BA 737s - Where Are They From?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:20 am

If you have a look at the G-INFO database on the CAA website you can type in an aircraft registration and it will give you some general information including the year built and previous reg. Not quite a detailed history but at least that'll give you and idea.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...yid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1

As I'm sure you'll discover some of the -436 models have their own bizzare quirks, including signs in oriental characters! Makes me wonder if they really were brand new to BA.  Smile

BAE146QT

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:35 am

Not related to the 73, but...

BA's 747s sometimes make me wonder whether what they bought was even an aircraft in the first place*. Every flight I've had on them has led me to believe that they bid on eBay for a shopping trolley full of unwashed Pepsi cans which they bolted RB-211s to.

Saying that, they got me where I was going. Even if the FAs had to stand in the aisles and hold the PSUs up.

Their 146s on the other hand are - in my experience - solid, clean, and beautifully maintained and their FAs are second to none - even to AA's 767 crews who are some of the best in the industry.

* Yes, yes I know they're mostly -36s
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

dutchjet

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:43 am

The 737-436s were ordered by and delivered to BA (as were the 737-236As that have been retired from the BA fleet).....some of the 734s were leased did leases with other carriers , I remember that two 734s spend some time in Belgium before being intergrated into the BA fleet , for example.

BA's 733s and 735s were acquired/leased on the second hand market and come from a variety of sources, BA has ex-AF, ex-BD aircraft for example. How did this happen? BA retired a good number of 752 aircraft and pulled a number of 763ER aircraft from UK/Europe services and placed an order with A32X aircraft to replace/renew its shorthaul fleet. It takes many years to receive delivery of a fleet of new airplanes and BA needed aircraft to bridge the period between aircraft leaving the shorthaul fleet and the new airplanes being delivered.....BA went to the secondhand/leasing market and picked up a number of 733s/735s to bridge this period. The 733/735s have hung around the BA fleet longer than most expected, and it now seems that the "old" CFM powered A320s (the BCal birds) will retire while some 733/735s remain.

pilot21

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:14 am

As I'm at the PC for a few reasons tonight, here is what I could find out:

B737-500 fleet
G-GFFA - ex SAS and BMI, built in 1990
G-GFFB - ex Braathens, built in 1992
G-GFFD - ex SAS, LOT, BMI, Sterling, Lithuanian, built in 1991
G-GFFE - ex Luxair, built in 1995
G-GFFF - ex SAS, BMI, built in 1990
G-GFFG - ex Braathens, built in 1990
G-GFFH - ex Malaysia, Jet airways, built in 1994
G-GFFI - ex Luxair, built in 1995
G-GFFJ - ex Malaysia, Jet airways, built in 1994

Obviously the above is a rough guide, and the aircraft may have stayed in the ownership of 1 airline, but were leased out a bit, but just it's a brief history of where the aircraft listed as still in service with BA have come from.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

vv701

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:45 am

All the 737 436s were ordered by BA. However following the turn down in passenger demand following the First Gulf War, four were painted all white by Boeing, registered G-BVBY, G-BVBZ, G-BVHA and G-BVHB delivered to BA at BFI and ferried straight to MHV and parked.

After six months G-BVBY was ferried MHV-LHR on 8/3/94 and was leased to EuroBelgian Airlines as OO-LTQ on 28/4/94. While with EBA this aircraft was subleased to Air Provence:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jordi Grife - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Remi Dallot

In 1996 the aircraft was returned to BA and put into service as G-DOCY.

About the time that 'BY was leased to EBA (which became Virgin Express towrds the end of the lease), G-BVBZ was ferried to LHR and then leased to Air Europa, first as EC-657 and then as EC-FXJ:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

G-BVHA was ferried ex-MHV in February 1994, was re-registered G-GBTA and put into service by BA.

G-BVHB followed the same route as G-BVBY being leased by EBA as OO-LTS and sub-leased by Air Provence before being returned to BA and put into service as G-GBTB:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jordi Grife - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Rodriguez - Iberian Spotters

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 1):
As I'm sure you'll discover some of the -436 models have their own bizzare quirks, including signs in oriental characters! Makes me wonder if they really were brand new to BA.

This almost certainly alludes to either G-DOCM or G-DOCW. Both of these aircraft were delivered by Boeing and put into service. Subsequently both were painted with the BA Rendezvous tail:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carsten Blümel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

The Chinese characters on the tails of this aircraft are an extract of a poem. Inside the aircraft was a plaque explaining this and quoting the poem in full - hence the 'oriental characters'.