planemanofnz

Language Skills Of F/A's On SQ/TG To Spain

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Hello

Just wondering whether SQ and TG have Spanish speaking F/A's for their BCN/MAD services respectively? Also, do SQ and TG have F/A's fluent in the languages of all the destinations in Continental Europe that they serve like German for FRA?

Thanks,
Colin

CrazyHorse

RE: Language Skills Of F/A's On SQ/TG To Spain

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:32 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Thread starter):
Hello

Just wondering whether SQ and TG have Spanish speaking F/A's for their BCN/MAD services respectively? Also, do SQ and TG have F/A's fluent in the languages of all the destinations in Continental Europe that they serve like German for FRA?

Thanks,
Colin

I think this airlines had hire some spanish speaking F/A for their service to their spanish destinations.
A friend of mine has flown from MUC to BKK this year with TG and on this flight some F/A had a great skill in german.

trinxat

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:21 pm

I once took the TG MAD-BKK via FCO and no advertisements were done in spanish, just a recorded tape. I assume then that no-spanish speaking crew on board.

This is not unusual within Europe. I have flown many times KL, AF and BA out of BCN and on some flights they have at least a spanish-speaking crew member, but on some others they DO NOT

Although given the command of english that many IB FA's do have, I doubt whether they can be considered english-speaking at all  Smile

Koenie

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:36 pm

For some IB FA's speaking itself.. whatever language.. is already a burden.

I once flew KLM to ecuador via bonaire and I was impressed with the spanish skills of the crew. But I also was impressed about the high percentage of the pax being south american!

panamair

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Unlike say, JL, both SQ and TG have not hired any native Western European speaking cabin crew. The only European languages I believe SQ officially accomodates in onboard announcements are French and German (very basic French and German announcements by Singaporean/Malaysian cabin crew). As for TG, I don't believe they have any at all, officially at least.

varig md-11

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:39 pm

when I flew SQ out of CDG, annoucements were made in French by a Malay guy who had good knowledge of French; on the way Back it was a chinese girl who tried to do the annoucements (a bit difficult, but it's good they tried)
the rest of the crew spoke English
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 4):
Unlike say, JL, both SQ and TG have not hired any native Western European speaking cabin crew.

Do JL have western F/A's? What other Asian carriers do this aswell?

I wonder why airlines like SQ and TG do not cater for native passengers of Spain, Italy, Denmark, Sweeden e.t.c. What about CX?

bastew

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 6):
Do JL have western F/A's? What other Asian carriers do this aswell?

I wonder why airlines like SQ and TG do not cater for native passengers of Spain, Italy, Denmark, Sweeden e.t.c. What about CX?

ANA also has a London crew base of westeners for the LHR/CDG - NRT runs.

CX DID recruit some western F/A's in London as well, when it was announces they would have the right to fly LHR - JFK. They did have language requirements though (mandarin, cantonese, japanese or korean) so I guess their LHR base has a fair number of british crew of oriental origin.

I think the likes of SQ/TG/MH do not have western based crew for a couple reasons. Firstly, their crews tend to have a much better command of english than the japanese airlines (almost non-exisitent).

And the whole 'Singapore Girl' and similar style at TG/MH is the whole basis of their marketing campaign and identity.

musapapaya

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:12 am

What about CX?

As far as I was told, CX has cabin crew in Europe who could speak German or French. However those based in HK and of HK origin could not speak good english.... bear this in mind.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

bullpitt

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:25 am

It's funny how it doesn't matter what the topic is some people will have a go at IB. Well for all of them IB is still making a profit, and as long as we are in the black and I have a job, the rest I don't give a S*it. Anti IB Eat your heart out. We are still number one in Spain.

[Edited 2006-11-23 22:27:00]
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

panamair

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting Musapapaya (Reply 8):
However those based in HK and of HK origin could not speak good english.... bear this in mind.

Umm, they may speak English with a little Hong Kong/Chinese accent but they do speak good English (certainly better than many other Asian carriers such as the aforementioned JL, NH, or some European carriers even etc.) In fact, CX's Asian FAs come from all over Asia and the general standard of their English is far higher than many other carriers around the world.

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting BAStew (Reply 7):
their LHR base has a fair number of british crew of oriental origin.

Yes, I flew CX on HKG-LHR in October and there were a few Asian F/A's with a pom accent!

would have the right to fly LHR - JFK.

Is this actually going ahead now?

Quoting Panamair (Reply 10):
CX's Asian FAs come from all over Asia and the general standard of their English is far higher than many other carriers around the world.

I agree, CX F/A's are much better spoken than that of their main competitors.

So back to the topic, what would happen if I was a passenger on Thai, Singapore or Air China to Spain and I only spoke Spanish?

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Koenie (Reply 3):
For some IB FA's speaking itself.. whatever language.. is already a burden.

= Jajaja. I am LOL. Sad ... but true.

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 9):
We are still number one in Spain.

= This means so much  Smile.

BTW, SQ WILL have Castellano speaking attendants on board. I don't know if they will speak Catalan as well. Now, that WOULD be interesting.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

TG992

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:59 am

and as long as we are in the black and I have a job, the rest I don't give a S*it

I think that's the problem!
-

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 12):
SQ WILL have Castellano speaking attendants on board. I don't know if they will speak Catalan as well. Now, that WOULD be interesting.

How different are Catalan and Castellano? Is it merely a difference in accent? How many Spanish speaking F/A's will there be on board? How did you find this out Abrelosojos? Is there a website or something?

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 14):
How different are Catalan and Castellano?

= Oh God. Dont EVER say that in Barcelona ... if you want to come across alive  Smile. Castellano is the real name for Spanish in some ways. Catalan is the language of Catalonia (sort of like Basque country within Spain.) The Spaniards on the board can elaborate more - but Spain is an extremely rich cultural region and many people are voiceferously proud of their unique cultures. Sometimes this can be manifested in the separationist movements within the country.

By the way, I said it more tongue-in-cheek.

How many Spanish speaking F/A's will there be on board?

= 1. At some point they were looking for someone who spoke Italian and Spanish.

How did you find this out Abrelosojos?

= Just trust me.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 15):
Just trust me.

Come on, how do you know, give us some credible evidence to back up your claim.

Castellano is the real name for Spanish in some ways. Catalan is the language of Catalonia (sort of like Basque country within Spain.)

So one group of people are able to speak to another?

At some point they were looking for someone who spoke Italian and Spanish.

I'm surprised that they don't already have Italian speaking F/A's seen as they have served FCO for years.

bullpitt

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:59 pm

TG992

I think you have misunderstood me. What I ment is that I don't give a S*it about stupid coments on A-net. While we are in the black it must mean we are doing something right.

I work in custumer service and pride myself in what I do. What some people in this forum don't realize when they judge IB is that we are Spanish and you try to see us with anglo saxon standards, and believe me in Spain it doesn´t work.

Catalan is easy enough to understand if you're a native spanish speaker but it's a different language and not a dialect.

trinxat

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:17 pm

and as long as we are in the black and I have a job, the rest I don't give a S*it

LOL this is typical IB defensiveness, as usual. We do nothing wrong, we do not care about what people thinks. I think this company and its staff should be more autocritical, especially when claims are somewhat true.  Smile

We are still number one in Spain.

Yeah, the key is "still". Thanks to AENA overprotection and the "puente aéreo". For how longer do you think you can keep this up?

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 16):
So one group of people are able to speak to another?

Just to clarify: in Catalonia both catalan and castellano are official languages, so most people are billingual. Therefore catalan-speakers know spanish too, but not the other way around.

Koenie

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:42 pm

Hmm I don't see IB through anglo-saxon standards. I see them trought they eyes of a customer from the low countries speaking only basic basic spanish and comparing service between the airlines. IB is in the black because they don't have that much competition on central & south america IF you want to avoid the US of A.

Btw FA's on intra europe flights on IB are A LOT more friendlier then FA's on transcon... they are also a lot more younger.. (hmmm!)

About the language thing... castellano (castillian) is often used in Latin America to refer to "spanish". Catalan is from the same language group but a different language as is galician.

Basque however is a total loner.... connected to nada, nothing, de rien, nietend.

Any other languages on the spanish territory of the iberian peninsula?

bullpitt

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:18 am

Trinxat I think you need to do a lot more research, Although Puente aereo is a good money earner IB makes a good profit on many other routes and departments ( IB is not only the flights). And now that we are geting rid of the routes from BCN witch were money loosers we should do even better.

Koenie Sorry to disagree with you on the South American market IB has much competition and more each day. If we remain number 1 it's because our clients still prefer to fly with us.

Other languages spoken in Spain are Valenciano in Valencia, Bable in Asturias and English in Gibraltar.  biggrin 

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:32 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 20):
English in Gibraltar.

= Gibraltar is part of Spain  Wink -

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

planemanofnz

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 18):
in Catalonia both catalan and castellano are official languages, so most people are billingual. Therefore catalan-speakers know spanish too, but not the other way around.

So let me get this straight :

Castellano (I want a coke) = Quiero una coca cola
Catalan (I want a coke) = Something very different

Am I right?

AMS

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:59 pm

I think the likes of SQ/TG/MH do not have western based crew for a couple reasons. Firstly, their crews tend to have a much better command of english than the japanese airlines (almost non-exisitent).

Japanese crew may speak less English then Singapore,Thai or Malaysian Crew. But JAL and ANA does not hire the Non-Japanese staff for these reasons only.

The image of a Non-Japanese Crew on their flights plays also plays a role, and JL and ANA pay these LHR/FRA crew a lot less then Japanese based staff. Most Non-Japanese crew based out of LHR/FRA have only 4 year contracts.

Regards,
AMS

Koenie

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:07 am

Lots of competition...
HMmm.. okay.. not including the american carriers.. which airline do I need to take to reach PTY and avoid IB then?

bullpitt

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:23 am

Lets see to North, Central, south America and the Caribbean IB competes against most American carriers, Most EU carriers, and local companies such as NM, UX and Air Plus comet.

Another thing is that IB to some destinations such as PTY has the best offer from Spain.

planemanofnz

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting AMS (Reply 23):
The image of a Non-Japanese Crew on their flights plays also plays a role

Wht is the ratio of Western to Asian F/A's on these flights?

Quoting Koenie (Reply 24):
HMmm.. okay.. not including the american carriers.. which airline do I need to take to reach PTY and avoid IB then?

Copa and Continental. And I suppose the spanish sopken in this part of the world also differs greatly from that of Catalan and Castellano?

How do TG cope with Spanish or Italian only speakers on their flights to FCO and MAD? Is it sort of just hand them a meal, any meal, and thats it?

AMS

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 26):
Wht is the ratio of Western to Asian F/A's on these flights?

Normally JAL and ANA has 2 to 3 Non Japanese Crew on their European flights. I believe that the JAL F/A based in Europe also sometimes make side trips to Australia/New Zealand from time to time.

Regards,
AMS

planemanofnz

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Quoting AMS (Reply 27):
I believe that the JAL F/A based in Europe also sometimes make side trips to Australia/New Zealand from time to time.

JL do not fly to New Zealand. They have their codes on NZ's flights to AKL and CHC from KIX and NRT.

zvezda

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:24 pm

I wonder why airlines like SQ and TG do not cater for native passengers of Spain, Italy, Denmark, Sweeden e.t.c.

It is reasonable to expect that passengers flying between these countries and Singapore will speak at least a modicum of English. Like it or not, English is the standard international language.

Regardless, I know that at SQ training includes improvisional sign language for basics like chicken, fish, pig, or cow. I also know that SQ recently started a Russian language short course for their cabin crew.

The worst experience I have had in term of cabin crew language skills was on an SU flight SVO-PVG and vv. Not a single member of either crew could speak a word of any Chinese language and none were conversational in English, though many knew a few words of English. Announcements were only in Russian. Very few of the many Chinese passengers could speak any Russian, though some could speak passable English. However, between the very different heavy accents and the different bucherings of the grammar, the crew and passengers couldn't understand each other in English except for the simplest of service questions. A quarrel broke out in Y and I had to go back with the Purser to translate from Russian to English and then another passenger translated from English to Shanghaiese. We ended up moving some passengers around despite Y being full. That involved translating from Russian to English to Mandarin. There would have been no useful communication in the event of an emergency evacuation. It's the only time I've flown internationally where I was the only person onboard capable of making an announcement in English. I spent some time in the cockpit jumpseats and the pilots didn't speak much English either. They let me stay for the landing into PVG so that I could clear up ATC confusions. I've avoided flying SU since then despite the liberal policy of allowing cockpit visitors.

SKY1

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 18):
Thanks to AENA overprotection and the "puente aéreo".

stop talking nonsense!  talktothehand 

To flight MAD-BCN you have in addition to IB:

checkmark  Spanair's flights (called by the themselves "Puente a Barcelona")

checkmark  Air Europa

checkmark  Vueling

Quoting Koenie (Reply 24):

It's that stupid like asking: HMmm.. okay.. not including the american carriers.. which airline do I need to take to reach LAX from SYD and avoid QF then? ...or HMmm.. okay.. not including the brazilian carriers.. which airline do I need to take to reach Recife from LIS and avoid TP then?

It's highly advisable think carefully before posting in order to avoid making a fool of yourself

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 26):
And I suppose the spanish sopken in this part of the world also differs greatly from that of Catalan and Castellano?

Spanish spoken in Latinoamerica in comparison with the Spain one, is just like make a comparison between the US English and British English.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

Koenie

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:12 pm

If it's that stupid.. well give me the competition for IB on the central american market then while avoiding american carriers. (the reason for avoiding being for instance if one doesn't have a EU passport then you get extra delay)

And it's quite a bit different from your LAX - SYD scenario as it's not about airports in the countries that you're trying to avoid carriers from....

trinxat

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 30):
stop talking nonsense!

To flight MAD-BCN you have in addition to IB:

Spanair's flights (called by the themselves "Puente a Barcelona")

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 20):
Trinxat I think you need to do a lot more research

My friends, some article links (in spanish only, though). Spanair complains that AENA is not fair in offering "puente aéreo" slots, and this is in fact limiting their chances of competing vs. Iberia. It's not my opinion, it's quite factual indeed.

El Economista.es

Expansion

Iberia handles 60% of the market in this route, while Spanair just above 25% (in spite of the abovementioned issues) and Vueling and Air Europa have a very limited share (they can't be considered serious competitors)

Iberia started operating his route in 1970 and for nearly 25 years has run it in a virtual monopoly, something not difficult to achieve when IB was a public state-owned airline and AENA being the state public entity that controls and manages air operations in Spain, including airports, slots, etc. Only when IB was privatised and air traffic was liberalised, some competition was allowed in this route, based on new slot allocation, of course IB retaining theirs. This is not really what is called sponsoring fair competition, isn't it?

IMHO AENA is a totally outfashioned structure and does not make sense in today's airline business in a western world country. Airports should be privatised and allowed competition vs. each other.

On the other hand, "puente aéreo" is arguably IB's biggest moneymaker (check it out for yourselves) and they will suffer hard when the real competition will be in place (the high speed train connection).

You should also tell the whole story, guys

Koenie

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:19 am

ah is there comming an AVE link between Barcelona & Madrid?

(How are the plans of the basque Y by the way?)

bullpitt

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 am

First off all You must consider that Puente Aereo is a very unique product that Spanair would have difficulties trying to imitate. To begin seats are sold at over 300 euros, They have an enormous flexibility and cater for a very define client. This client like it or not is mostly an IB client for many reasons. This product is used by Iberia plus gold and platinum card holders, and believe me this people only fly IB if they can help it.

High speed train will hurt the others more than IB as I said Puente Aereo is something the others don't have. You see at the moment Vueling is a very nice airline (Although if you go into www.quejasonline.com you'll see they have their problems) and as far as I know they have not shown a profit yet.

With regards to the topic of this forum for non English speakers this has never being an issue as they are used to making themselves understood by other means. This issue is mainly about anglo saxons as they are so used to having others speak english that when that's not possible they seem lost.