LAXDESI
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part 36

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:20 am

Sahara files $450 million claim against Jet.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/548475.cms

Quotes:
After months of acrimony following a failed acquisition deal, Air Sahara has filed a Rs 2,000-crore claim against Jet Airways for non-completion of the agreement entered into by the two in January. The claim was filed in London on Monday with the three-member arbitration panel. The panel, headed by British judge Lord Stein, will come out with an order binding on both parties by March ’07.

The Air Sahara claim is based on the cash loss it has incurred and the depreciation in its value because of the $200-m buyout deal falling through. Sources said the Air Sahara lawyers will argue that Jet Airways can either complete the transaction or pay the damages. Arguments will be based on the specific performance of Jet Airways, they said.

The Air Sahara line is that the transaction should have been completed because the conditions precedent were either fulfilled or capable of being fulfilled by Air Sahara. While Jet has named former India chief justice SP Bharucha as its arbitrator, Sahara has brought in Justice BP Jeevan Reddy, also a Supreme Court judge.

The break-up came about after the Jet Airways management had virtually taken over operations of Air Sahara. Jet Airways walked out of the deal in June, saying the “conditions precedent” to the deal were not met.

The final sticking point was the government’s delay in approving Jet chairman Naresh Goyal’s appointment to the Air Sahara board. Air Sahara countered that Jet had engineered this impasse by delaying request for the approval as a way of extricating itself from the deal.

Jet had advanced Rs 500 crore to Air Sahara shareholders against a pledge of 100% of the airline’s shares and a personal guarantee by Sahara chief Subrata Roy, while leaving Rs 1,500 crore in the escrow account. Between January and June, Jet had also provided financial support worth Rs 180 crore to meet the airline’s operational requirements.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 36

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:25 am

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:17 am

PP on future growth in Indian Aviation. If his estimates turn out to be correct, then the size of Indian aviation sector will be about 600 million passengers (10 times higher) by 2016! As a comparison, US aviation sector is 700 million passengers currently. I am sceptical about Indian market reaching 600 million passengers mark by 2016.

http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...rticleshow/msid-548483,curpg-2.cms
Quotes:
The minister pointed out that the growth in domestic and international air traffic this year was expected to be 50% and 25%, respectively. "These figures are not going to slow down in the next 10 years and an average 25% growth rate is sustainable over the next decade,"

kmsyd777

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Thread starter):
The claim was filed in London on Monday with the three-member arbitration panel. The panel, headed by British judge Lord Stein, will come out with an order binding on both parties by March ’07.

Why London? What jurisdiction do they have over companies registered and operating in India?

himmat01

Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:43 pm

Low fare airlines under MRTP scanner.

http://www.ndtvprofit.com/homepage/s...e=&cache=11/23/2006%208:47:07%20PM

Quote:

Low cost airlines may have revolutionised air travel in the country but is it all as attractive as it sounds.

The investigation wing of the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission (MRTP) is now examining tempting offers from various airlines after it received complaints of unfair trade practices about an airline.

The commission has now issued notices of enquiry to Spice Jet and is also examining the ticket forfeiture clause of at least six airlines to see if they qualify as an unfair trade practice.

When Sushil Gupta's family cancelled their Spice Jet tickets to Srinagar Rs 600 was deducted per ticket as cancellation fee. The airline told Sushil the remaining amount would be retained as customer credit, which he could use within a year.

"We had to cancel our tickets because of disturbances in Srinagar. They took cancellation charges but refused to refund full amount, saying it will be kept in account for one year for future travel. This is unfair trade practice, either I use it or forfeit the money," said Sushil Gupta.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

Nimish

Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Thread starter):
After months of acrimony following a failed acquisition deal, Air Sahara has filed a Rs 2,000-crore claim against Jet Airways for non-completion of the agreement entered into by the two in January. The claim was filed in London on Monday with the three-member arbitration panel. The panel, headed by British judge Lord Stein, will come out with an order binding on both parties by March ’07.

I think this was long overdue, and I wish S2 all the best in this battle. I'm glad it's time-bound, so that both parties can move on with life after Mar 07.
Incredible India!

Nimish

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:13 pm

From the previous thread:

Quoting Civilav (Reply 101):
I run a travel agency here in Cancun, Mexico and I have tried in vain to book two passengers on Air Deccan from Delhi to Bengalooru for December 20th as it will not take my Mexican Mastercard... on its website it requests that you have an Indian mobile phone !! Of all the requirements !!
Worse, I have written twice to the airline to ask for help and there has been no reply at all... Hardly the way to promote business outside of India, would you not say ?

Well - this is not really surprising at all - I've tried to book UA domestic tickets with my Indian credit card and that's not allowed either! I guess it's all to do with minimizing the risk of intl credit card fraud.

For the mobile number you could theoretically just enter any 10 digit number starting with 98, but then you'd miss being informed of flight delays (very frequent on DN) or cancellations.

You can also book DN tickets on 2 alternate websites - you could give both of them a spin to see if they can use the Mexican MC. http://airdeccan.indiatimes.com/airdeccan/ - this may require you to get a (free) India times account. Another travel portal that includes DN tickets is http://www.travelguru.com/asp/Default.asp - plus they will give you other low cost options as well.

I would also suggest you try these other 3 LCC airlines on the DEL-BLR sector
1. http://book.goindigo.in/ (Indigo of the 100 A320 fame)
2. http://www.goair.in/ (Go Airways)
3. http://www.spicejet.com (Spicejet)

Good luck with the bookings for your clients!
Incredible India!

cricket

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 6):
Another travel portal that includes DN tickets is http://www.travelguru.com/asp/Default.asp - plus they will give you other low cost options as well.

Yatra - www.yatra.com also has DN tickets available and I personally prefer their booking engine the most. The thing is that DN does fly several sectors that the other LCC's do not.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

himmat01

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:07 pm

karan69

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:31 pm

With regards to the AI 767-300ER

I recieved an email from one of my sources [thanks once again] at AI--some quotes from the email

A 767-300ER has been standing in the AI Maint Hangar at Old Airport for
the lat 3-4 days,The Flyglobespan letters were replaced with "Air India" and
the tail was painted like any other AI tail. The red on the belly of the
aircraft is unchanged. This wet leased aircraft will be soon ( next week?)
be flying to BKK and KUL.

The red on the belly refers to the colourscheme of Flyglobespan.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Townsend - WorldAirImages

Karan

himmat01

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:55 pm

This link confirms what Karan has stated in post no. 9.

http://mmd.airindia.co.in/aimmd/tender/EY_WET%20LEASE_06_023.html

cricket

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 9):
This wet leased aircraft will be soon ( next week?)

Oh well, at least the BKK and KUL photogs will get an unique aircraft like the FRA guys got the AI Tristar.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Felix Goetting

A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:46 pm

What about Mx.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airbusfanyyz

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:17 am

British Airways bullish on India, plans expansion

Excerpt: "Hyderabad and Seoul are the next two cities the airline is now eyeing in this region, BA’s area general manager for Asia-Pacific, Robbie Baird said. BA is awaiting its fleet expansion in India, Mr Walsh said. The company has placed an order for 45 new aircraft to add to its 114 strong fleet and to replace some of the old ones.

With the Indian economy booming, many professionals are flying to North America and Canada for business as well as leisure, said Gavin Halliday, BA’s area commercial manager for the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific."

Link:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/497653.cms

Hyderabad is really getting quite an impressive lineup of International carriers in the lead up to the new airport in 2008. Current list: EK, SQ, TG, MH, LH, KL, QR, SV, UL, Oman Air.
Now with AI joining Star Alliance...the possibilities are intriguing.  Smile

Cheers,
Kaz

karan69

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 13):
The company has placed an order for 45 new aircraft to add to its 114 strong fleet and to replace some of the old ones.

When did that happen??

Karan

airbusfanyyz

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 14):
Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 13):
The company has placed an order for 45 new aircraft to add to its 114 strong fleet and to replace some of the old ones.

When did that happen??

Missed that... no idea! LOL
Might be a misquote from "planning to order" to "placed an order"?
Aviation reporting in India isn't the best.

Cheers,
Kaz

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:52 am

tayaramecanici

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:30 am

This wet leased aircraft will be soon ( next week?)

Karan, whats the schedule of this aircraft, any definate dates for starting ops on this aircraft ? The AI website does not list B767 on the mentioned routes as yet.

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 10):
This link confirms what Karan has stated in post no. 9.

I've heard a strong rumour that S2 was looking at wet leasing its B767 to AI too ? reading the link suggest AI is content with 1xB767 at the moment.

Cheers
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

The777Man

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:43 am

Any news on Air-India's new nonstop flights to the US ? Exact route, frequency etc ?

Thanks!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Jet may get nod for Gulf flights in 2007.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/563828.cms

Quotes:
Jet Airways may get permission to start flying to Gulf next year. This follows a review of the policy to reserve flights to the Gulf for Air-India and Indian. Gulf-based carriers have been expanding in India, and there is a view that the two public sector carriers are not matching this with additional capacity.

Jet’s operations on these high-turnover sectors are likely to impact margins of A-I and Indian. The government had promised these airlines a five-year exclusivity to Gulf, when international operations were permitted for Jet and Sahara. However, there was no written commitment to the effect.

Air Sahara is also likely to get the nod, but it is not clear if it will jump join the fray since it is still recovering from the failed merger with Jet. Jet is likely to start flying to Gulf cities during ’07. Air-India, Indian and Air India Express currently control over 50% of the India-Gulf traffic.

In the other direction, the market is carved up between Gulf Air, Emirates, Qatar Airways Etihad and Air Arabia. The India-Gulf routes cross-subsidise losses on other domestic operations for Indian. Air-India too makes higher cash margins on the Gulf routes than on the longer haul sectors.

Civil aviation minister Praful Patel told ET: “The aviation industry is witnessing dynamic changes globally. We need to respond to these changes.” Officials said a review of aviation policy would begin in January. The idea of allowing private airlines to fly overseas was to enable strong Indian competition to foreign carriers, they added.

Originally, the Gulf was to be the exclusive preserve of A-I and Indian till ’08. Then, the government looked at extending this till ’10, since fleet acquisition by the two carriers got delayed. The current proposal indicates that the entire policy scenario seems to be going through a major churn. Entry into the Gulf market will be a booster for Jet, which is preparing for flights to the US next summer.

cricket

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 19):
Jet Airways may get permission to start flying to Gulf next year. This follows a review of the policy to reserve flights to the Gulf for Air-India and Indian. Gulf-based carriers have been expanding in India, and there is a view that the two public sector carriers are not matching this with additional capacity.

Wow, I assume this means that 9W will place an order for 787's sooner than we think, and I guess more 737NG's as well.

tayaramecanici

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 19):

It is a logical progression of aviation in India, the pvt operators need to be allowed to fly Intl without any restrictions. With capacity increases and low yield in the domestic sectors, flying Intl is the only solution to improve the balance sheet of the Indian airlines.
IMO the start of next year will see the likes of Deccan, KF & Spice start flying to S.E.Asia, its high time AirLanka had some competition. There is a renewed interest in India among major EU FLT OPS consultancies. Many of them are visiting the airlines in India expressing interest in Training and sourcing operating crew. Its all in anticipation.

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 20):
Wow, I assume this means that 9W will place an order for 787's sooner than we think, and I guess more 737NG's as well.

Any talk on this or a guess.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mk777

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting The777man (Reply 18):
Any news on Air-India's new nonstop flights to the US ? Exact route, frequency etc ?

I don't think AI has announced that yet, but I am hoping to see AI at IAD soon linking the 2 capital airports would be nice; DEL-IAD.

I'm also wondering when AI would be announcing their expansion plans to the US, both on non-stop and one-stop flights.  Smile  Smile

I am speculating that BOM/DEL-JFK will become non-stop.

BOM-EWR will still operate via CDG, i think.

Not sure about ORD or LAX, i am assuming one stop via LHR/FRA (the same).

YYZ would be via BHX as well.

Maybe they will compete with 9W and IT for SFO.

So far, IAD hasn't seen any indian carriers, so i think AI should start that non-stop with their 772LR or even one-stop via MAD/BCN, will make a lot of money, atleast i think so.
come fly with me

karan69

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 am

More 767-300 AI update

Quoting Tayaramecanici (Reply 17):
Karan, whats the schedule of this aircraft, any definate dates for starting ops on this aircraft ? The AI website does not list B767 on the mentioned routes as yet.

it may start operating tomorrow or at the most next Monday.
It will fly the BOM-BKK-HKG-BKK-BOM route 5 times a week and twice to BOM-KUL-BOM.

It will replace the A310 currently flying these flights.

Quoting Mk777 (Reply 23):
am speculating that BOM/DEL-JFK will become non-stop.

Only one of the two will get the non-stop more likely BOM-JFK---but i feel the LHR-JFK flight will be maintained, not everyone gets fifth freedom rights on the LHR-JFK route and AI should continuoe to take full advantage of this right.

BOM-EWR will still operate via CDG, i think

Yeah that looks likely--but will certainly shift to the 77W.

Not sure about ORD or LAX, i am assuming one stop via LHR/FRA (the same).

AI had said that ORD will be getting a non-stop----nothing mentioned about LAX lets see what materialises.

So far, IAD hasn't seen any indian carriers, so i think AI should start that non-stop with their 772LR or even one-stop via MAD/BCN, will make a lot of money, atleast i think so.

IAD is part of AIs USA expansion -- but it will more than likely be a one stop probably via FRA due to LH presence.

Karan

tayaramecanici

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 24):
It will fly the BOM-BKK-HKG-BKK-BOM route 5 times a week and twice to BOM-KUL-BOM.

Firstly thanks for the reply. Secondly a few Qs. As per the schedule attached to the wet lease tenders http://mmd.airindia.co.in/aimmd/tender/EY_WET%20LEASE_06_023.html BOM-KUL is 3xWk and the arrival from KUL overlaps with the BKK-HKG schedule. Reading the BKK-HKG schedule i gather that the a/c gets a day for Mx which should be the case.
So is AI looking for another B767 as the rumours suggest about S2 planning to wet-lease its B767 to AI, is this still on.

airish

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:31 am

More 767-300 AI update

Quoting Tayaramecanici (Reply 17):

According to the schedules on AI website
http://www.airindia.com/
the 767 is already operating London flights. It should have operated AI121, AI120 BOM-DEL-LHR-DEL-BOM on Saturday if they are correct. It is listed as operating AI131 AI130 all week.
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

blrsea

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:43 am

Jet may get nod for Gulf flights

Quote:
year. This follows a review of the policy to reserve flights to the Gulf for Air-India and Indian.

Gulf-based carriers have been expanding in India, and there is a view that the two public sector carriers are not matching this with additional capacity.

Jet’s operations on these high-turnover sectors are likely to impact margins of A-I and Indian. The government had promised these airlines a five-year exclusivity to Gulf, when international operations were permitted for Jet and Sahara. However, there was no written commitment to the effect.

Air Sahara is also likely to get the nod, but it is not clear if it will jump join the fray since it is still recovering from the failed merger with Jet.

airbusfanyyz

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:05 am

YYZ would be via BHX as well.

I can't imagine AI will continue with the ATQ-DEL-BHX-YYZ milk run.
With the 77L they will probably drop the BHX part.
I wouldn't be surprised if they upgauged the YYZ flight to a daily 77W.

Cheers,
Kaz

TheBigOne

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:05 am

I am planning to fly to BOM from LHR on AI around the 12th of January, and wondering if there is going to be chaos due to some of the leased 744s being returned? If anyone has more info about what the fleet plans are for between now and the introduction of the 77Ws please let me know.
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

mk777

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 28):
With the 77L they will probably drop the BHX part.

Aren't a lot of Punjab bound Indians especially to ATQ or YYZ miss this daily schedule? I am assuming lots of Punjabis in Birmingham and Toronto (i am sure of that), after London's South Hall.
come fly with me

hawaijahaz

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:20 pm

AI-IA merger action happening today.

Looks like a group of ministers are meeting to look over the proposals suggested by a consulting company.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/N...erger_today/articleshow/589114.cms

Let's hope this goes through soon.

Nimish

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting The777man (Reply 18):

I'm also wondering when AI would be announcing their expansion plans to the US, both on non-stop and one-stop flights

No, and no surprises, given it's AI we're talking about. Contrast this with other airlines, say AY, who announced the route/frequencies of their DEL-HEL flights almost a year in advance. AI is pretty rotten on matters like this - which require some level of advance planning and foresight!

Cool - nice to see a new a/c join AI, and take it out of the hole it's been digging itself into.

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 28):

I can't imagine AI will continue with the ATQ-DEL-BHX-YYZ milk run.

What - why ever not? AI loves the milk runs and will continue on them for ever! At least that's what I would imagine, but I would love it if AI were to shock me!

Quoting TheBigOne (Reply 29):
I am planning to fly to BOM from LHR on AI around the 12th of January, and wondering if there is going to be chaos due to some of the leased 744s being returned

AI => Chaos. I hope you don't have any important meetings scheduled for right after your arrival, if you do, I suggest you pre-pone your flight or postpone your meetings. AI is pretty much the last word for unreliable flights on this side of the world.

Quoting Hawaijahaz (Reply 31):
AI-IA merger action happening today.

Cool - will be interesting to see if PP manages to bulldoze the sleepy bunch of ministers into taking some decisions!
Incredible India!

cricket

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey, I'm flying IT DEL-BOM on VM's much-hyper Kingfisher First (don't ask) today and will write a trip report on it fairly soon, I also am led to believe that I might actually get on of 'dem brand snaking new long buses (the 321's)...

Nimish

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 33):
Hey, I'm flying IT DEL-BOM on VM's much-hyper Kingfisher First (don't ask) today and will write a trip report on it fairly soon, I also am led to believe that I might actually get on of 'dem brand snaking new long buses (the 321's)...

Hey Cricket - TRs without photos are much frowned upon - so keep that in mind  Wink Big grin.
Incredible India!

karan69

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting Airish (Reply 26):
According to the schedules on AI website
http://www.airindia.com/
the 767 is already operating London flights. It should have operated AI121, AI120 BOM-DEL-LHR-DEL-BOM on Saturday if they are correct. It is listed as operating AI131 AI130 all week.

Yes that is indeed the information provided --- well thats interesting

Karan

mk777

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:50 pm

Someone should take the B763ER pictures in AI colours, it would be nice to see a different aircraft type in AI colours.
come fly with me

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:37 am

Air India-Indian set for merger.
http://www.ndtvprofit.com/homepage/s...e=&cache=11/26/2006%204:57:02%20PM

Quotes:
Air India and Indian Airlines - also known as Indian are set to become one airline. On Monday, a group of ministers headed by Pranab Mukherjee is likely to give the final go-ahead for the merger. The national carrier can look forward to better connectivity and bigger fleet, but first the airline has to improve its service standards.

Over the next five years, the airline's fleet will grow close to 200 with over 100 new state-of-the-art aircraft from Airbus to Boeing. "If the two airlines merge, it will be a completely different product," Air India Chairman Thulasidas said.

But improving service is seen as the toughest challenge for the new airline. Thulasidas warned, "if people do not favour the airlines then the employees have to realize their jobs are at stake". In fact, a lot is desired from the ground staff of Air India.

In the service industry perception is everything and right now most international fliers don't perceive Air India as world class.

karan69

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting Mk777 (Reply 36):
Someone should take the B763ER pictures in AI colours, it would be nice to see a different aircraft type in AI colours.

With the problems at BOM--it is best that someone at LHR can capture the shot.

Also i feel that it is deployed on the LON route instead of the BKK-KUL route because the maintainance crew of Flyglobespan is based at LON---being a UK charter company--Makes it an easier MX flight.

Karan

Nimish

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Here's what the all-important Group of Ministers meeting decided on Monday:

A-I, Indian merger issue goes to cabinet panel

From: http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1854430,00020016.htm

Quote:
A committee of Secretaries (CoS) headed by Cabinet Secretary BK Chaturvedi will examine various important issues — including the levying of stamp duty, the integration of employees and legal matters — relating to the proposed merger of Air-India and Indian Airlines.

The Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Monday decided to the constitute the CoS, which has to submit its report within a fortnight.

"The CoS will also look into the details of the presentation made by the consultants," Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel told reporters.

This was the first meeting of the GoM on the proposed merger. Patel said the ministers were briefed by Accenture, the consultants, on all its major aspects.

So it seems like the ministers have decided they can't be bothered with the details here, and have fobbed the exercise off to a group of cabinet secretaries! With a 2 week deadline at that! I'm sure the poor secretaries must be having nightmares about having to look at the consultant's recommendation is just 2 weeks, and then come back to the group of ministers with their recommendations! But I'm glad it's a time bound exercise and might give a good CYA way out for the ministers and secretaries - each one being able to shift the blame to the other (or to accenture) in case things go wrong!
Incredible India!

tayaramecanici

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Is this equipment downgrade to B767 temporary ? I thought LHR was always a B744 or B777.

mk777

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Tayaramecanici (Reply 40):
Is this equipment downgrade to B767 temporary ? I thought LHR was always a B744 or B777.

I think this is beacuse AI's leased B744 are being returned and once the 772LR and 773ER join AI's fleet in early to mid 2007, then you might see the 773ER at LHR.

But i think they are still using the B744 to JFK via LHR. Correct me if i am wrong!!
come fly with me

karan69

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:09 am

I saw the AI 767-3ER take off at around 3:45 pm i was on the road , so barely got a glance at it--but was definitly a 767---Also the under belly looked rather white and not the normal dark grey on their 310.

Karan

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:11 am

Singapore Airlines increases flight frequency. The article states that 70% of Singapore bound passengers from India make onward connections. This must be a cause for concern as non-stops, and one-stop flights through Chinese cities and HKG come online in the near future for travel to west coast of North America.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/622988.cms

Quotes:
Singapore Airlines has launched its sixth weekly fight from Bangalore up from five weekly flights. With the addition of the sixth flight the airline will now offer 1816 seats per week from Bangalore.

Singapore Airlines is also looking at Tier II cities like Coimbatore, Vizag, Nagpur and Tirchy. Addressing mediapersons in Bangalore on Tuesday Foo Chai Woo, GM of Singapore Airlines (India) said, "We are looking at many developing cities in India with our subsidiary regional airline, Silk Air. Tier II cities are on our radar screen and at the right time we will evaluate those markets."

SilkAir currently operates daily flights to Kochi and four flights to Thiruvananthapuram. Excluding SilkAir operations, Singapore Airlines operates 48 weekly flights to eight destinations in India.

Mr Woo said, "We are waiting for the traffic rights to operate daily flight to Bangalore. And with demand picking up we are also looking at operating daily fight to Hyderabad as well." As of now Singapore Airlines operates four flights to Hyderabad.

"The airline also wants to increase its frequencies to Delhi and Chennai," added Mr Woo. Currently it operates daily fights to Delhi, Chennai and double daily flights to Mumbai. Average load factor of the airline across eight destinations in India is around 70-80 per cent. 30 per cent of the airline's passengers out of India are Singapore bound and 70 per cent are onward passengers, said Mr Woo.

Singapore Airlines is also offering a return fare of Rs 6,666 (excluding tax & surcharges) from Bangalore to Singapore, Rs 7,777 on Bagalore-Kualalumpur and Bangalore-Penang route and Rs 8,888 for travel from Bangalore to Bangkok. The offer is valid for outbound travel on Tuesday only from November 28, 2006 to January 31, 2007. Inbound travel can be on any day as per availability.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:27 am

From a thread in airliners-India.net. Is there a similar arrangement from Delhi for AA and CO non-stop flights?
http://www.airliners-india.net/

Quotes:
Kingfisher Airlines is commencing 0245AM departures effective December 01st, 2006 from the Mumbai international airport to connect to Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmadabad and Delhi. These new flights will allow guests arriving at the Mumbai international airport to reach their final destinations in India without having to transfer to the domestic terminals or having to wait long hours to connect to flights to their final destinations.

mk777

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 44):

Sounds good. the AA and CO flights come in around 8:30pm-9:30pm, i think. I didn't see any aircrafts at the intl. terminal that would ferry people from DEL to BLR, AMD, MAA or BOM when i flew AA last time, this was in January 2006.

If IT or 9W have introduced this, i don't know but isn't there a dearth of parking bays at the intl. terminal? Ive heard that flights have to wait on the tarmac for 30mins before a gate is available. But then i guess they could use the remote stands.
come fly with me

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 am

Air Sahara for sale, yet again. I think Kingfisher should be interested, especially if the valuation is around $250-300 million.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/629897.cms

Quotes:
Bolstered by a revival in its fortunes last quarter, the promoters of Air Sahara are believed to be considering a sale of the airline once again. After parting ways with Jet Airways, the Sahara group has attempted to turn around the airline. The current quarter has shown a sharply improved performance and the Sahara group promoters believe that it will be a good time to scout around for buyers.

People close to the development said the promoters are convinced that the airline will have to be sold and that an in-principle decision has already been taken on the issue. The sale process has not yet begun and will commence formally only after the current quarter of profitable operations, they added.

A senior Sahara group official refused to comment on the issue. But sources close to the issue said the transaction is likely to be structured in a way that all the risk and liability arising from the litigation with Jet Airways belongs to the seller, Sahara group.

Buyers likely to be interested in the Lucknow-based airline could be the same corporate groups that had shown interest a year ago. Several private equity groups and the UB group’s Kingfisher Airlines were in negotiations with Sahara before the airline was sold to Jet Airways. For the airlines, the value was in the slots, parking bays and operations of the airline, while for the
financial investors it was the exposure to the Indian aviation market.

AirIndia

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 42):
Also the under belly looked rather white

i thought i read that they were retaining the red underbelly from flyglobespan.

tayaramecanici

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 46):
Air Sahara for sale, yet again. I think Kingfisher should be interested, especially if the valuation is around $250-300 million.

have my doubts, S2 is predominantly B737 fleet (avg 8yrs old) against KF brand spanking A320s. Secondly with KF strongly pitching to fly intl routes on its own AOC, the attraction of intl flt rights on S2 AOC is also diminishing. With Devanhali likely to come online in 2008 the slot situation in BLR atleast will improve.

A price tag of $250M plus the cost of integration on capital and resources. KF cannot afford this, especially when they are gearing up to add the WBs into the fleet. The only asset that could be of attraction is the Ops Crew, now that S2 has expressed its intentions of selling the crew will jump ship anyways.

Mohan Meakin of Indus Air could be a possible buyer.

hawaijahaz

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting Tayaramecanici (Reply 40):

First of all why did AI decide to use the 767 for the London run? mx reasons as previously suggested?

Also, what is now servicing the BKK and HKG routes that the 767 was supposed to service?

Since it's a wetlease I'm thinking that Flyglobal also provided the crew. I've never been on a wetleased aircraft before; do they have announcements welcoming them on AI or on Flyglobal? Do they have annoucements in Hindi as well?

Hope to see some pictures soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos