Bofredrik
Topic Author

If I NOT Want To Put Down My Window Shade?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:51 am

I keep the shade open because if I don't I'm afraid I'll freak out from claustrophobia...

But a friend told me that it could be against the law to not close it if the cabin crew
tell me to do so on a US airline...

Is that true + in any other country?

SJUSXM

RE: If I NOT Want To Put Down My Window Shade?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:53 am

It is federal law to comply with all crew member instructions

whoever i have never been told to put down my shade except when we were leaving the aircraft and it was very hot outside. Im sure they would probably let you keep the shade open or at least a tad open.
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

access-air

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:56 am

Most of the time I think they ask you to close the window shade as a courtesy to other passengers. That being said, I dont think its a regulation....

Matter factly I have experienced the opposite especially on Takeoff......When I was flying on ATA they made it a point to make sure ALL window shades were UP on takeoff.....Most likely because if there was an accident, you would need to see outside the aircraft (if intact) such as fire or dangerous plane parts.....

But I dont believe that its a crime not to put your window shade down....someone care to rebutt that???

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

filejw

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:58 am

Most of the time they want it closed its for the movie.

BCAL

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 2):
But I dont believe that its a crime not to put your window shade down....someone care to rebutt that???

It is not a crime not to put your window shade down, but if a F/A instructs you to do so, and you refuse, it could be a crime under English law as you have refused to follow a crew member's instruction. The difficulty here is whether or not the instruction was given on safety grounds - a very difficult question to answer.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

FlyDeltaJets

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am

They usually ask you to close at least partially for the movie.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Aeroflot777

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:22 am

Yes, you have to follow all FA instructions.

On my trans-Atlantic flights I've been asked to close my window shade because of either a movie or the "night-time" to give pax time to sleep. Because it's light outside it would be hard to do that with window shades open. Most pax comply. If needed you can turn your overhead light on.

Aeroflot777

levg79

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:23 am

Just close it when they tell you to close it and open it back up in a few minutes. Worked for me on my last Transatlantic flight. I had a window sit and therefore wanted to be able to see out, and I did.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

Mir

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:24 am

Yes, if they tell you to close it, it's a crime not to.

However, I would think that if you told the F/A you were claustraphobic they'd let you keep it open at least halfway. There's no safety issue that I can think of created by having the shade open.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MEACEDAR

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 am

When they ask me, they usual put it down while asking me. "Sir, can we put down the shade"....umm....you already did. Anyways, if it is a night flight they really don't care.

BCAL

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
There's no safety issue that I can think of created by having the shade open

I am sure that they will create several given the chance!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

osiris30

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:32 am

Just inform them you're a nervous flyer who suffers from mild claustrophobia and they'll let you leave it open... guaranteed... better cabin light than a risky passenger...
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

Coronado990

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 3):

I'm a geography freak and I really enjoy seeing the earth from above. I can get a movie anytime at Target for 10 bucks.

That being said, in these times after 9/11, I guess if the FA told me to run up and down the aisle naked clucking like a chicken swing a telephone above my head, I guess I would do it just so I would not be set down at the next available airport.
Uncle SAN at your service!

FlyboyOz

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:12 am

Cathay Pacific and Singapore airlines cabin crews always instructed pax to close the shade when the plane was cruising.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 13):

I avoid them then next time... *L*

QANTASforever

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:39 am

Cathay Pacific and Singapore airlines cabin crews always instructed pax to close the shade when the plane was cruising.

Good god I hate that. We so seldom are able to visit the places we're flying over, I wanna take a look!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

YYZYYT

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):
I keep the shade open because if I don't I'm afraid I'll freak out from claustrophobia...

I'd avoid the 787 then... with electronic shading, you won't have much choice!

access-air

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 6):
Because it's light outside it would be hard to do that with window shades open. Most pax comply. If needed you can turn your overhead light on.

Well hnow is the overhead light supposed to help me see out my window????
Granted at night because its dark it wouldnt make a flip of a difference anyway.....I like to look out......It seems to me that it is counter productive to close the window shades especially on takeoff or landing during a critical time in which if something happens you probably dont want to have any field of vision blocked.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "Company Policies" that airlines try to pass off as "Federal Regulations" and God help you if dont obey them to the letter. Why do they even bother with windows....Plug them up and just put pictures of different scenes where the windows were eh? Would that satisfy them??? Let people that want to look out side alone....sheesh. If I didnt want to look out the window I would have asked for an aisle seat.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

777ER
Crew

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 16):
Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):

Isn't the A350 also having that option?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Areopagus

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 16):

I think the 787 will actually help, because it's not an all-or-nothing proposition like window shades. It can be darkened like sunglasses, so that you can still see out.

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:12 am

I once got a window seat but no window. It was just a wall. NOT FUN...

greg3322

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:16 am

My experience on UA is usually this: "If you're not enjoying the view outside, please lower your window shade to better see the movie" or something close to that. Much classier than some other carriers that demand it.

I had an AA F/A do the "Sir - please lower your shade so others can watch the movie". I asked her if that was a request or an order? She looked puzzled and said, "I am requesting you close it so you can better see the movie". I politely declined and she went on her way.

Greg

Olympus69

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 17):
It seems to me that it is counter productive to close the window shades especially on takeoff or landing during a critical time in which if something happens you probably dont want to have any field of vision blocked.

What airline has a regulation like that? I've never heard of that being done - except on my infrequent arrivals at Area 51  Smile

Likewise, I have never been 'instructed' to lower my window shade. I have, OTOH, been 'requested' to lower it, as a courtesy to passengers watching the movie.

thegooddoctor

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 am

Sometimes this can be an order... I have a pilot friend who was forced to deviate from his prescribed flight route, taking him into an area of restricted military airspace. The military ATC agreed to accept the overfly as long as passengers on the left side of the aircraft closed their window shades (this was enforced). He wouldn't tell me what they flew over, but he did mention that the restricted airspace was over a remote part of Nevada (that oughta really get all you Area 51'ers going  Wink )

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 20):
I once got a window seat but no window. It was just a wall. NOT FUN...

Yep - I had this experience several years ago on a US 757. This was also a PIT-PHX flight that was delayed for three hours on the ground due to heavy snow...so it was three very very boring hours... Since then I always use SeatGuru.com if I'm flying an airline that I'm not intimately familiar with their seating configuration.
The GoodDoctor

brilondon

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:53 am

Matter factly I have experienced the opposite especially on Takeoff......When I was flying on ATA they made it a point to make sure ALL window shades were UP on takeoff.....Most likely because if there was an accident, you would need to see outside the aircraft (if intact) such as fire or dangerous plane parts.....

I have been told that it is in case of an emergancy that the people will be able to be oriented for evacuation of the aircraft.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

UAL747

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:03 am

Blah, on my flights DFW-NRT-DFW the flight attendants were absolute asses about the window shades. We took off from NRT at night back to DFW and I had my window open, and the flight attendant (male) came over and slammed it shut like I had done something wrong. I'm like, man, it's darker outside than it is in the freaking plane.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

aa757first

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:50 am

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "Company Policies" that airlines try to pass off as "Federal Regulations" and God help you if dont obey them to the letter.

If its a company policy, the flight attendant may demand you lower it. Federal air regulations do require you to obey all illuminated signs, posted placards and crew member instructions.

AAndrew

davestanKSAN

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 12):
I'm a geography freak and I really enjoy seeing the earth from above. I can get a movie anytime at Target for 10 bucks

Let people that want to look out side alone....sheesh. If I didnt want to look out the window I would have asked for an aisle seat.....

checkmark  thank you!!!! I love looking out, it's so amazing. And taking pictures as well.

But, I realize that some fellow passengers might be nervous and watching the movie can pass the time quite well, as well as keep your mind entertained. So I ususally close my shade, although it hurts. Waah. haha.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

planesarecool

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:03 am

On a few flights from California to the UK, i was asked to put my blind down due the fact that there are only 2 or 3 hours of darkness in the summer, and so they don't want people to be disturbed when the sun comes up again, which is fair enough. However i've never been instructed to put it down during the day or for a movie.

eajpecrca

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:21 am

On a US flight from MYR on Thursday the young man in front of me fully reclined his seat and then attempted to pull down the window shade that then came within his reach--as the plane taxied for takeoff and after the FA's had just announced about seat backs up, etc. I happened to be looking out that window. I told him that the shade was supposed to be up for takeoff. (Was I correct? I've heard that announcement on other carriers) and that seat backs were supposed to be up for takeoff. Without a word he complied.

As you can imagine, as soon as we were airborne he and him mom immediately and rudely, I thought, fully reclined their seats for the duration of the thankfully brief flight! He didn't touch my window, however!

VEEREF

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 1):

Though I think the airline would have a hard time winning that in court. It is merely a pax convenience item. On the other hand, having them open for T/O and landing is indeed a safety issue, and that would easily go in the airline's favor.

Though it's really a matter of personal preference. I for one have no trouble seeing my PTV with every window open.
It doesn't really make much sense to me to watch 100 window shades close, followed by 100 overhead lights switching on. Personally I prefer the natural light over the artificial any day. I prefer a good book or crossword to most video selections anyway.

My last Westbound daytime transatlantic flight saw very few windowshades closed. I guess people just weren't interested in another Jennifer Anniston movie!
I have read that on some Asian carriers they will patrol the aisles with a stick to specifically designed to reach over and close your shade for you!
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

krasof

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:06 am

Does the window shade "belong" to the passenger sitting next to the window??

If that´s so, does the aisle belong to the passenger sitting next to the aisle?

If the window passenger does not want to close the shade, could de aisle passenger denied him access?

787kq

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:14 am

Flight attendants usually "request" that the shades be lowered, not "instruct." Don't make a big deal out of nothing though. If it ever gets to the point where its an instruction, do it, then complain your butt off later.

In any case, if raising the shade will be bothersome to others, keep the shade lowered as much as possible as a courtesy.

chrisrad

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 22):
Quoting Access-Air (Reply 17):It seems to me that it is counter productive to close the window shades especially on takeoff or landing during a critical time in which if something happens you probably dont want to have any field of vision blocked.
What airline has a regulation like that? I've never heard of that being done - except on my infrequent arrivals at Area 51  

Likewise, I have never been 'instructed' to lower my window shade. I have, OTOH, been 'requested' to lower it, as a courtesy to passengers watching the movie.

MH and TG both request and go around to check your window shade is open for landing and takeoff. MH also completely switches of the cabin lights for takeoff and landing. Makes sense if something happens you can see outside and already be accustomed to the ambient light.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

eajpecrca

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Krasof (Reply 31):
Does the window shade "belong" to the passenger sitting next to the window??

If that´s so, does the aisle belong to the passenger sitting next to the aisle?

If the window passenger does not want to close the shade, could de aisle passenger denied him access?

I suppose proximity to the window gives one a certain amount of ownership, though if a seatmate requests closing I have no problem obliging.

Re the aisle, not much you can do there to control it except trying to trip up those who infringe on your space! Just kidding!

As stressful as flying can sometimes be there is no reason to make it into a battle among passengers. Common sense and courtesy should prevail at all times. But one should never allow his own sense of personal space to be invaded without courteously speaking up.

sstsomeday

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 1):

checkmark 

Quoting Filejw (Reply 3):

checkmark 

Matter factly I have experienced the opposite especially on Takeoff......When I was flying on ATA they made it a point to make sure ALL window shades were UP on takeoff.....Most likely because if there was an accident, you would need to see outside the aircraft (if intact) such as fire or dangerous plane parts...

checkmark  ...and landing. And so the flight attendants can see outside, wherever they are in the A/C.

My view: Even though the environment inside an A/C cabin has the false impression of sitting in a glorified movie theatre on the ground, the reality is that you are several miles up going 100 miles an hour, so I gather keeping the peace is a high priority for flight attendants, because it supports their ultimate concern, safety. We passengers are confined; there is no stepping out for a breather or a smoke. We are stuck with one another.

That translates into: the rights/needs of the many TRUMPS the rights/needs of the few/or individual. It's not a democracy up there, because it would be dangerous. It's a dictatorship. If they need YOUR window closed so EVERYBODY can see the movie screen without a glare, than that's what you have to do. Of if they are trying to keep 200 passengers from getting over-heated while boarding in Phoenix, then you may have to close your shade until the engines are fired up.

Their need for absolute authority is greater than what we may otherwise be aware of, and may include issues whcih we might erroniously consider innocuous or none of therir business.
I come in peace

Zkpilot

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:04 pm

It is a requirement to have window shades open for takeoff and landing so that the crew have a clear view of outside, and to orientate everyone on board as to what is happening in the event of an emergency. ie if you see a big fireball outside a door you aren't going to be opening that door.

As for inflight, it is a courtesy to other passengers to close your window shade if the flight is supposed to be operating as a "night flight" that way people can get some sleep. It is not usally a problem during a short day flight, or during a night flight (except where the sun will be rising straight thru the windows). Passengers are often requested to close the shade before going to sleep.

There are other things which affect people onboard an aircraft more than a bit of light (noisy pax, babies, inconsiderate pax, turbulence, movies etc). Personally I like to be able to look out the window at the countries passing below, if people want darkness then they should wear eyeshades! But obviously if the sun is coming up and shining directly thru the window then a single open window shade can light up the whole cabin.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

1stfl94

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:05 pm

I've only ever been asked once to actually close the shade and that was a BA night flight. On UA we were requested to put the shades down for the movie but the movie was so awful that hardly anyone watched it so kept their shades up and looked outside.

Personally I always try and keep my shade up on dayflights and at night, tend to just have it partly open, especially as I just love the sight when you're flying into dawn.

teneriffe77

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Whenever I've been asked to put my window shade down I do it most of the way but still leave a small part open so that i can seee just enough to satisfy myself (I never sleep on planes)

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:18 pm

This is something that always pisses me off. Why would I pay $500 to watch a movie that I could rent for $5?

Like said above, UA usually requests you to lower the shade if you aren't watching that great view outside.

A family member was on a BA flight when the Fa instructed that he lower the shade. She wouldn't leave until he did. I think I will continue to fly UA.

I never understand the need to lower the shade. I can see the screen from the back of the plane with all shades open with no problem.

I usually lower it halfway if I am not looking outside.

We're Nuts

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "Company Policies" that airlines try to pass off as "Federal Regulations" and God help you if dont obey them to the letter.

True, but read your airlines' contract of carriage next time and you'll see that we don't differentiate between the two. Breaking a company policy will get you left on the ground as quickly as breaking the law. So for flight attendants to go through a list of which rules are "really important" and which are "kind of important" prior to every flight is just silly. We call them blanket "regulations" because for all intents and purposes they are.
Dear moderators: No.

milesrich

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:03 pm

I do not believe refusing to close your window shade so others can sleep or watch a movie is crime, even if instructed to do so by a cabin crew member. If a flight attendant told you to undress, and you refused, that would not be a crime. Reasonableness is implied in the regulation. Until take off, I have been instructed to open the shade, and that is for safety reasons, but closing the shade is never a safety issue, and whil you might be arrested, you would never be convicted. Not following the instructions of a flight crew member is not a strict liability crime.

louA340

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:42 pm

I remember on my last flight we were asked to pull down the shades because we were flying over storm clouds at night and there was a lot of lightening. It would have been a disturbance to many passengers.
RyEng

brdcessna

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm a geography freak and I really enjoy seeing the earth from above. I can get a movie anytime at Target for 10 bucks.

That being said, in these times after 9/11, I guess if the FA told me to run up and down the aisle naked clucking like a chicken swing a telephone above my head, I guess I would do it just so I would not be set down at the next available airport.

LMAO thats a good one

PlanenutzTB

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:09 pm

So your one of the rude and obnoxcious people on flights that won't let me enjoy my movie.
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

chewingplastic

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:44 pm

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 30):
I have read that on some Asian carriers they will patrol the aisles with a stick to specifically designed to reach over and close your shade for you!

Ohh, I'll confirm that true. On JAL, once reaching cruise, the flight attendant came around with that hooky stick and silently closed your window for you, while trying to avoid whacking you in the head.

Aeroflot777

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:59 pm

Well hnow is the overhead light supposed to help me see out my window????

That's not what I mean. Say the flight departs JFK around 5 am. About 5 hours into the flight, pax become sleepy. On all my DL and SU flights, the FAs ask pax to close their shades so that people can get some rest. But because you are approaching Europe, where it is the beginning of the new day and the sun is rising slowly it's hard to sleep when you have the shades up. Therefore teh crew ask that the shades be closed. Most people comply, thank god. It truly helps when you got at least SOME rest when you fly into SVO at 11 am (Or wherever your European destination maybe).

Aeroflot777

sunandan
Crew

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:12 pm

Sorry mate, that is a generalized statement. I'm a frequent flyer with SQ and they only time the FAs ever ask you to close the window shades is if it is really bright outside and the sun can hurt your eyes. Otherwise, you're free to keep the shades up.

SS
You can either work for a living, or you can fly airplanes. I'd rather fly!

wdleiser

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:23 pm

It is a real dick move to keep your window open during the day on a overseas trip.......Europe-USA for example..... a single person can make it that much harder to sleep by keeping their window open.

levg79

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:07 pm

if the FA told me to run up and down the aisle naked clucking like a chicken swing a telephone above my head, I guess I would do it just so I would not be set down at the next available airport.

That would probably not land you at the next available airport. But I will not go into details as where such inappropriate behavior might take you.

Quoting Thegooddoctor (Reply 23):
The military ATC agreed to accept the overfly as long as passengers on the left side of the aircraft closed their window shades

Was that in the days before Google Earth came out?

Quoting Eajpecrca (Reply 29):
On a US flight from MYR on Thursday the young man in front of me fully reclined his seat

I find it hard to believe. Was that before or after they served a full-course dinner?

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos