777way
Topic Author

World Airways And UPS Livery

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:15 pm

How is it that that the two carriers have the same style scheme in the same country, is there no law against this? colurs, logo, fonts can differ but its the same style making them look like a sister concern of the other, kind of misleading image and bad for the company's reputation, I know World copied UPS.

antonovman

RE: World Airways And UPS Livery

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Quoting 777way (Thread starter):
I know World copied UPS.

Come on then, tell us all how you "know" this
This should be worth hearing

777way
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Simple, UPS scheme came out before Worlds back in 2002 didnt it? World's was made up earlier this year.

mauriceb

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:32 pm

colurs, logo, fonts can differ but its the same style making them look like a sister concern of the other, kind of misleading image and bad for the company's reputation, I know World copied UPS.

with that much airlines in the world, it would be rather hard for the airlines to all have a ''diferent style''

besides , with world, there is a white bar between the blue paint and the red bar, whyle UPS doesn't have that...

If it would be illegal, than UA and Aeromexico would be wrong for exemple..

centrair

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:40 pm

In what way are World and UPS the same?

UPS

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stefan Welsch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Islam Chen

World

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ronny Busch - dc10fans

Thai

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeroen Hribar

I know World copied UPS.

And UPS copied Thai.

Everyone is copying everyone. Call the lawyers.

Last time I checked World hadn't made an annoucement concerning a new livery. The inmage in the thread World Airways Decides On A New Livery (posted Sat Sep 2 2006 01:05:48 by IAirAllie in Civil Aviation) in my opinion was not real. No corporation puts images for new livery in Photobucket and have no annoucements on their homepage. And I doubt they do their livery that cheap. Not even World would do it that cheap.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Flyer732

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Wow, such spectacular logic.
As it stands right now, UPS owns three of World's aircraft.

mauriceb

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 4):
Last time I checked World hadn't made an annoucement concerning a new livery. The inmage in the thread World Airways Decides On A New Livery (posted Sat Sep 2 2006 01:05:48 by IAirAllie in Civil Aviation) in my opinion was not real. No corporation puts images for new livery in Photobucket and have no annoucements on their homepage. And I doubt they do their livery that cheap. Not even World would do it that cheap.

ummm you posted the old livery... this is the new one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh May

[Edited 2006-11-25 12:48:24]

SP90

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Clearly they are different. I mean one has UPS on the tail and the other has the globe. The colors are also different since UPS is white, yellow and brown and World is white, red and blue.  Smile

[Edited 2006-11-25 12:58:07]

centrair

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 6):
ummm you posted the old livery... this is the new one:

Looked throught DB didn't see that one. My bad.

In that case.

I'm calling lawyers. They copied Thai. No one should ever have that kind of design. There can be only one!
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

777way
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Everyone is copying everyone. Call the lawyers.

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 1):
Come on then, tell us all how you "know" this
This should be worth hearing

First of all I dont know what prompted the bitch in you all to post your statements in an catty manner, I only asked a valid question, is common courtesy lost on you?

And UPS copied Thai.

UPS didnt copy Thai, their scheme out much before TG's, Thai livery designers whoever they are did copy Varig's special World Cup Football scheme from 1997.

Quoting Mauriceb (Reply 3):
with that much airlines in the world, it would be rather hard for the airlines to all have a ''diferent style''

besides , with world, there is a white bar between the blue paint and the red bar, whyle UPS doesn't have that...

If it would be illegal, than UA and Aeromexico would be wrong for exemple..

Your argument seems to be just that, something for the sake of an argument, it lacks logic, look at World's original Eurowhite scheme if you're creative you can picture a number of different styles that could be created without aping another's image with an insignificant modification to make it appear different.

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 5):
Wow, such spectacular logic.
As it stands right now, UPS owns three of World's aircraft

So are they the a subsidairy of UPS, you could have explained decently instead of acting like a bitch.

Flyer732

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 9):
So are they the a subsidairy of UPS, you could have explained decently instead of acting like a bitch.

World is not a subsidariry, UPS just owns three of the aircraft. I wasn't being a bitch, you've been the ones making accusatioins, not I.

express1

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:41 pm

I think both of you want to stop being childish and move on,if you cant discus a simple aviation topic then leave it.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

srbmod

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:27 pm

It's as simple as this. UPS bought some MD-11s from DL. Some of these are being leased out to World until UPS needs them for cargo conversion. It makes more sense to lease them out until you need them instead of parking them somewhere and not making any money off of the a/c.

There's all sorts of "copying" when it comes to airline liveries. Design trends come and go. Remember when cheatlines were the common style? Just about everyone had them in some form on their a/c. Same with the predominantly Eurowhite livery.

airtran737

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:39 pm

We are not owned by UPS, we are our own airline which also owns North American airlines. Ships 801DE, 803DE, and 804DE are the Delta birds which will be going to UPS after our leases expire. 801 and 804 are in the standard all white livery, 803 has the heritage livery.

Ryan, hows the desert? I didn't know you were a Kuwaiti.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

777way
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:39 pm

I asked a valid question in a polite manner and check the expression of the responses, do people have to be jerks?

Are you telling me it would be okay if BMI got a BA style scheme with minor alterations if it wasnt associated with BA in an way, I thought the west had an issue with plaigirism and wernt tolerant of this

These things are not such a big deal in the rest of the world so even if another ailrine in Thailand was wearing Thai's scheme with different colours it wouldnt matter, it would be foul be unfortunately acceptable.

AirplaneFan

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:07 am

World copied UPS

I agree with you sir. UP's livery seems to be popular. Not only did WO copied UP's new livery, but also TG.

And UPS copied Thai.

Come on, UP got their new livery back in 2003. TG got theirs barely last year. So UP did not copied TG!

Quoting SP90 (Reply 7):
I mean one has UPS on the tail and the other has the globe. The colors are also different since UPS is white, yellow and brown and World is white, red and blue.

The colors and the logo between UP and WO are not much of a difference. For example FX can introduce a new livery similar to UP's, but instead of putting UP's logo on the tail, they got to put their obviously! WO isn’t going to want to put someone else's logo on their airplanes. That would be something stupid. So no matter what WO did kind of copy UP's livery in some sort of ways.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dickson Ching - HKAEC
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh May

IMO AM seemed to have copied from LA's livery. Instead of a putting a "STAR" on the tail, AM putted their logo. Now AM seemed to have brought the red stripe forward and making it longer, instead of living it towards the back like LA. Anyways AM also copied LA's livery in some sort of way.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erick Lopez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Xu Zheng

Last but not least, I also think CO livery and LH livery are similar in some ways. Both have a dark blue tail, and a white fuselage mixed with gray colors at the bottom of the fuselage, except that CO livery gray colors go all the way up to the middle of the radome with an orange stripe above. But they are still similar.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Krzysztof Skowronski

Regards.

AirplaneFan

[Edited 2006-11-25 16:10:39]
I GOT YOUR SIX

Owleye

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:21 am

The UPS and World tails are not that bad and that simular in matter of copyright and design. I think airlines can protect a paint design, maybe UPS did not protected the bowed line pattern, only their colours and logo. I'm worrying more about those two:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Fortin - AirTeamImages

Naughty copy cat airline 'Air Italy' was forced to change its livery because of the Air France copyright:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alfredo La Marca - SpotIT
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner

AirCop

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:30 am

Don't forget Arrow same design as UPS, World, Thai, just a different color. Lets face it the this is one business where everyone copies each other.

iairallie

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:47 am

Before we start acusing World of nasty things like plagerisim consider this perhaps, as UPS owns several of the World aircraft, this paint scheme was adopted so that the transition paint job would be simpler? If World had gone with the popular retro red scheme (that many of the employees love) it would have meant repainting the whole aircraft. Now the only the tail and titles need to be changed. So maybe UPS weighed in on the livery choice.

777Way I belive you got a nasty response because your original post had a rather acusatory tone to it. The differences between color, logo etc. are obviously different enough to prevent anyone from mistaking the two so it is not some sort of subversive attempt to pass as a UPS plane.

The inmage in the thread World Airways Decides On A New Livery (posted Sat Sep 2 2006 01:05:48 by IAirAllie in Civil Aviation) in my opinion was not real

Real enough for you now darling? I don't post rumors or unverified info with out disclaimers.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

wjcandee

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 2):
Simple, UPS scheme came out before Worlds back in 2002 didnt it?

And THIS scheme came out when? Pre-1998? Pretty close...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aric Thalman

wjcandee

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 18):
Before we start acusing World of nasty things like plagerisim consider this perhaps, as UPS owns several of the World aircraft, this paint scheme was adopted so that the transition paint job would be simpler?

That's a nice thought, but the first bird to get the scheme was not one that's going to UPS.

bohica

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:32 pm

Coincidence? I don't think so.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - Photovation Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Snorre - VAP

I do believe CO owns part of Copa.

thaiaggie

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:11 pm

and the newest one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Islam Chen

This looks much like TGs
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

Foxy

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 18):
Before we start acusing World of nasty things like plagerisim consider this perhaps, as UPS owns several of the World aircraft, this paint scheme was adopted so that the transition paint job would be simpler? If World had gone with the popular retro red scheme (that many of the employees love) it would have meant repainting the whole aircraft. Now the only the tail and titles need to be changed. So maybe UPS weighed in on the livery choice

This would seem most logical, Similar livery design in order to make transition to UPS colours easier

iairallie

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 20):
That's a nice thought, but the first bird to get the scheme was not one that's going to UPS.

True enough but they are making the livery change for the whole fleet including the UPS birds. The goal is to have a unified look. The painting schedule revolves around maintenance schedules not aircraft owners.

ThePRGuy

Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 11):
I think both of you want to stop being childish and move on,if you cant discus a simple aviation topic then leave it.

Agreed dave, lay down the law!
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

AirplaneFan

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting Bohica (Reply 21):
I do believe CO owns part of Copa.

You are right  checkmark .

On 19 May 1998, CO acquired a 49% stake in CM, marking the beginning of a comprehensive marketing and operating alliance. Since then, it has adopted a livery and corporate logo which resemble those of Continental, and participates in Continental's OnePass frequent flyer program.

Rgds,

AirplaneFan
I GOT YOUR SIX

Vasu

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:32 am

There will always be livery style "fashions".

Once upon a time it was the cheatline,

Now its oversized logos and wavy bits.

... who knows what'll be next...?

wjcandee

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 27):
There will always be livery style "fashions".
Once upon a time it was the cheatline,

Exactly. That's all this is. And they could have had the "old" logo and several others. It was chosen by the employees.

INTENSS

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
True enough but they are making the livery change for the whole fleet including the UPS birds. The goal is to have a unified look. The painting schedule revolves around maintenance schedules not aircraft owners.

This is true to a point. However, since World won't be having 801, 803, and 804 for that much longer, it's HIGHLY unlikely these 3 will be getting painted in the new colors....thus removing speculation that the new scheme was done for your the reasons you presented originally.

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 13):
801 and 804 are in the standard all white livery, 803 has the heritage livery.

801 isn't in standard "all-white" colors.  Wink

-Rich

airtran737

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting INTENSS (Reply 29):
801 isn't in standard "all-white" colors

Thats true, it's in the Ron Allen colors. BTW I tried to call you yesterday, I got slammed.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

INTENSS

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 30):
Thats true, it's in the Ron Allen colors. BTW I tried to call you yesterday, I got slammed.

Actually, a "modified" Ron Allen scheme.

That explains that "unkown" call....

-Rich

Clipper002

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 am

OK, lets get something straight. World Airways is a subsidiary of World Air Holdings,Inc. and has absolutley nothing to do with UPS. Secondly, the new livery selected was the idea of the World employees, not some PR firm. Bear in mind that the new livery also has to have the same requirements of its' predesessor in that it must be easily transferred to a new carrier if World enters into an ACI agreement with an established operator who wants their aircraft to appear to be in the same livery as their established fleet. This means simply placing decals over the "World" on the fuselage as well as on the #2 engine nacelle.

BTW Bill and Rich, I am scheduled for a major C check ( quadruplal bypass) on Wednesday, so I may not be around to post future remarks on this topic for a while so please feel free to fill in for me .

Rgds,
Ed
Ed

propilotjw

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:39 am

And this is a pretty well known look-alike

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Knutson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Malcolm J.Bezzina

MCOflyer

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 am

Check out Air Madagascar's new livery. Very identical to those mentioned above. It looks like SQ might be copying TG's. I read in thread that SQ might get a new livery.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 am

Besides being a common thing for airline liveries to move in one direction or antoher, the blue tail with white globe is something that World previously had on one of its ex-CO DC10s, and which people liked. As others said, the Eurowhite front makes for easy stenciling of ACMI clients' names, while the blue tail and red stripe is patriotic, and World does a lot of military work. I'm pretty sure that none of the DL birds will be repainted in this scheme before being delivered to UPS for conversion in the next year or so, so while it's a nice theory, it's not correct. Also, this was picked by vote of the WO employees, who I'm sure could care less about making things easy or not for the UPS people.

One "conspiracy" theory that nobody mentioned so far was that (until recently) World flew two DC10s nightly in service for UPS Supply Chain Solutions at DAY, so maybe that's why they wanted the liveries to look similar. That also would have been wrong. (That flying is in any event now being done by UPS Airlines through SDF.)

miamix707

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:21 am

In my opinon UPS, World and other copycats will look pretty "dated" as a design trend in a few years.

The first to initiate the look was Pluna, introduced 10 years ago in 1996, probably on 737-200 CX-BOO. The original and the only one of these designs that I think truly looks good.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sunbird Photos by Don Boyd

(The others that followed elongated the design too forward, and used too small sized titles, therefore making the design not look right)

miamix707

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 34):
It looks like SQ might be copying TG's. I read in thread that SQ might get a new livery.

the best of the major liveries around is also gonna get changed to this CRAPPY trend? No please.

turpentyine

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:30 am

wow are they all using the same crappy design company who obviously has no original ideas?

antoniemey

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting AirplaneFan (Reply 15):
except that CO livery gray colors go all the way up to the middle of the radome with an orange stripe above.

That there stripe is GOLD.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

srbmod

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 38):
wow are they all using the same crappy design company who obviously has no original ideas?

Actually, the new WO livery was done in-house:

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 35):
Also, this was picked by vote of the WO employees,

Quoting Clipper002 (Reply 32):
. Secondly, the new livery selected was the idea of the World employees, not some PR firm.

FL370

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:12 am

im not a big fan of UPS, World airways, Thai's new livary, there is too much wieght in the back, and too much white paint. i think if one of them added some colors near the copit it would look a lot better.

when UA changed ther paint sceme back in the early 90's, i was a kid, but now it just confuses me on how you go from magenta/orange/blue and whit body to a grey/blue body and the same color stripes. but now that they changed it, i actually like the new paint scheme on UA

fl370

iairallie

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 35):
Also, this was picked by vote of the WO employees, who I'm sure could care less about making things easy or not for the UPS people.

Thats certainly true. World employees we're given 3 choices. This is suposedly the one that won. Although most people I know voted for the retro red.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 42):
most people I know voted for the retro red

I've heard that, too. Shame it didn't win because it looked really, really good!

[Edited 2006-11-28 06:06:25]

Dazed767

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Although most people I know voted for the retro red.

Kinda defeats the purpose to have a retro jet then end up painting them all that way.

INTENSS

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:42 pm

is is suposedly the one that won. Although most people I know voted for the retro red.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 43):
I've heard that, too.

Don't believe the hype....most preferred what actually won out.

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 44):
Kinda defeats the purpose to have a retro jet then end up painting them all that way.

That's my logic. You kind of water down the whole retro jet thing when you paint the entire fleet that same way.

-Rich

miamix707

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 40):
Actually, the new WO livery was done in-house:

Although most people I know voted for the retro red.

The retro red looks a lot better to me also. Too bad they only want to keep one plane like this then. It's not like people will care whether the whole fleet or only one plane gets painted in the red c/s, World ddidn't have a real livery anyways.

I'm sure the youngins voted for the white look, what do they know? I doubt they are aware of the other lookalikes.. Not only aren't they aware that their scheme will look like a million others.. the same dark blue tail colors are used by a million other airlines as well.

On the bright side, I suppose that's better than their usual all-white aicraft.

iairallie

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 am

I think I'd like it better if they'd swap the red portion and blue portion. Blue is so overused in this business. Most of us youngins seemed to like the retro red best based on an un-scientific sampling of my peers.

INTENSS

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 47):
I think I'd like it better if they'd swap the red portion and blue portion. Blue is so overused in this business.

This might seem nice, but the company's colors and branding efforts currently revolve around the blue globe and titles. Having blue as the predominant color carries this forward.

Most of us youngins seemed to like the retro red best based on an un-scientific sampling of my peers.

I'm a "youngin" and my own unscientific sampling of my peers revealed the exact opposite. So there ya have it.  Smile

-Rich

miamix707

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:28 am

I think I'd like it better if they'd swap the red portion and blue portion. Blue is so overused in this business. Most of us youngins seemed to like the retro red best based on an un-scientific sampling of my peers.

See, you AND your friends are cool  Smile good to hear

Quoting INTENSS (Reply 48):
This might seem nice, but the company's colors and branding efforts currently revolve around the blue globe and titles. Having blue as the predominant color carries this forward.

Thinking about it and World was a better known company back in the days when they used to fly red and gold pax DC-10s.

Quoting INTENSS (Reply 48):
Most of us youngins seemed to like the retro red best based on an un-scientific sampling of my peers.

I'm a "youngin" and my own unscientific sampling of my peers revealed the exact opposite. So there ya have it.

so which one is it? lol. I woudl guess doing a poll on the preference forum would give biased results based on the biias against white and that slanted design here on a.net. It'd be good to sample ppl outside of a.net. Although, based on the preference for more strange, cutting-edge designs (that aren't necessarily pretty) I would guesss ppl would go for the blue c/s.