bluejackets

Construction On B Concourse At CMH

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 am

I know the highly-anticipated arrival of Skybus Airlines is being prepared for at CMH with construction on the southwest side of the B concourse, but when I was flying through the airport on Friday, I was a little puzzled at the latest structure being formed between gates B21 and B23 on the south side of the B concourse.

The steel beams were the only part laid out so far, and it appeared as if this new addition to the B concourse will be two stories and extend about 75-100 feet to the south of where the current terminal ends.

I am very curious as to what the purpose of this add-on will be. It looks like it could be a major new piece in the future Skybus worldwide headquarters. Does anyone know?
It's funny when I tell people I love planes and they think I'm weird.

flyinryan99

RE: Construction On B Concourse At CMH

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:08 am

They are adding ground level boarding gates for Skybus. They will not be using jetways. Jose, correct me if I'm wrong  Smile

bluejackets

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 1):
They are adding ground level boarding gates for Skybus.

Yeah, I heard they were doing that, I just didn't think they'd need a whole new extension for it. I thought they'd use the current space in concourse B, but I guess that's not enough. It looks like the new building will take up quite a bit of the current ramp space, too. Could be a tight fit over there with US Airways.

drerx7

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 1):
They are adding ground level boarding gates for Skybus. They will not be using jetways. Jose, correct me if I'm wrong

So no Skybus flights will use jetway - all stairs?
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

flyCMH

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:54 am

That is correct, Skybus will not utilize jet bridges for passenger loading and unloading.

Bluejackets, to answer your question, the build-out currently under construction on the B Concourse is a basically a huge enclosed ramp to take passengers from the main departure level to Skybus' ground-level boarding area that is currently under construction. It looks like Skybus passengers, upon passing through the Concourse B security checkpoints, will then have to proceed to this new ramp in order to reach the new passenger hold room of the first level. Quite frankly, I still don't know how they plan on doing it. The ramp area from which they plan to operate could only handle 3 Airbus-sized aircraft when jetways were still in place. Either they're going to start out pretty small or they're going to have a lot of planes waiting on the east pad for a parking space to open up.

drerx7

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 am

What is the point in this? I'm assuming its a cost saving matter - does using boarding bridges incur that much more cost?
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

flyCMH

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:41 pm

Somewhat. Many airports charge airlines not only for the square footage and gates that from which they operate, but also for jetway usage. For example, Continental Express might have two ERJs come in at the same time. One uses a jetway, the other boards via stairs. Continental is charged for the useage of the actual jetway on top of their gate lease, while the one using the air stairs is not. I'm assuming Skybus also believes they will gain some operational efficiencies by being able to use both the front and aft doors for passenger loading/unloading and not having to train employees on jet bridge operation. However, I think they will incur more difficulties by not using jetways, especially since they will have to provide ramps or lifts to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, not to mention the risk of having passengers trip, fall, or become injured during inclement weather or due to ramp operations happening around them.

bluejackets

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info as always, FlyCMH.

Just to add to the original post, I also saw a few extra security belts extending along the south side of concourse B, perhaps preparing very early for the supposed masses headed to Skybus in the spring.

I just can't believe the airport management has this much faith in them to let them go ahead and build an extension to the main concourse, taking up a good chunk of ramp space. What happens if/when Skybus fails? There will be a huge, vacant pier sticking out of concourse B. This would almost force CMH/CRAA to hurry up with their brand new terminal plans.