YLWbased
Topic Author

Major Snowfall In BC, How Many Flights Are Delayed

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:19 am

How many flights are delayed or cancelled in your airport?

P.S. i'm just trying to start an interesting topic, since i hv enough of those A vs B thread here on a.net.

Here in Kelowna YLW 50% of the flights are delayed or cancelled. what about at your airport?
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

multimark

RE: Major Snowfall In BC, How Many Flights Are Delayed

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 am

Most of the AC Jazz flights have been cancelled out of YVR (at least yesterday). The larger planes are getting out, but late.

threepoint

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:00 am

I think we need to realize that we live in Canada, that it's November and that titles such as 'major snowfall' may be a bit sensationalist considering most of us accumulated less than a foot of snow in the past 24 hours. Even Vancouver sees this type of snowfall almost every year at least once.
I bet most of the delays were due to deicing procedures - a time-consuming and unavoidable part of winter flying. If we consider this perfectly normal weather event as something other than routine, we run the risk of becoming the laughing stock of many readers who deal with worse with far less drama.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

727200er

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:14 am

My flight out yesterday was delayed due to de-icing We were one of the first flights of the day though and there had been very little actual snow at that point. I was on WJ660 to YEG and all in all was a good flight.
"they who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only at night" - Edgar Allen Poe

avt007

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 am

We already are the laughing stock. But it's hard to justify major deicing equipment bays like many airports since it might snow this much once a year.
Other readers may not realize that our snow is very wet and heavy, not the dry fluffy stuff many places get. I have deiced aircraft in YVR, and it's a crappy job. That stuff sticks to the skin and doesn't budge easily. Shovelling my driveway yesterday was a pain. Every shovel load had to be banged on the ground to get it off the shovel! And I'd rate it as a major snowfall, since my place got a foot and a half, and it was bringing trees down due to it's weight.

A332

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:13 am

I'm surprised YVR is even open all, considering the locals in Vancouver whine and scream for a total shut down of the city whenever a few inches of snow fall on the ground.  sarcastic 
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

avt007

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:35 am

And how is Cowtown today? -23 and blowing snow? Lovely! Have you had the semi-weekly 10 car pile-up on the Deerfoot? At least we know to slow down when it snows.......... Don't worry, I'm just ragging you. I lived in Calgary myself, although never again.  Wink

A332

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 6):
And how is Cowtown today? -23 and blowing snow? Lovely! Have you had the semi-weekly 10 car pile-up on the Deerfoot?

Exactly... look at the difference... it's bloody frigid out here, our roads are in way worse condition, and guess what... we all went to work today!  Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!