jimyvr

Air Malta Aligning Close To Star Alliance

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:09 pm

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=11%2F28%2F2006

ATWOnline (28NOV06) edition....

Quote:
Lufthansa is expanding its presence in Malta..........

......Meanwhile, Lufthansa and Air Malta will operate codeshare flights on several routes and recognize each other's loyalty programs..... A source close to the cooperation told ATWOnline that Air Malta could be the next Star Alliance Regional member.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

Knightsofmalta

RE: Air Malta Aligning Close To Star Alliance

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Goody, that's just what I've been waiting for. All we need now is a code-share with LX between ZRH and MLA and I'm a happy man!

gilesdavies

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 pm

I can't see the article mentioned but this would make sense for them to join an alliance.

An airline of Air Malta's size needs to have some backing of a big alliance behind it like Star Alliance in todays market.

If Air Malta inter alligned their FFP to Miles & More operated by Lufthansa this would reduce the airlines costs on administering the program significantly.

I would assume Air Malta would become a regional carrier like Adria and Croatia Airlines. Which both have very similiar route networks and fleets to Air Malta flying within Europe to their home bases.

DABTH747

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 2):
would reduce the airlines costs on administering the program significantly.

just out of curiosity I know its off topic but the other day I saw that ppl flying on LH can earn miles with AI and 9W, but AI joining the star so why code share with 9W within India - doesnt that hurt AI in a way?

BBADXB

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:08 am

I would love to see Air Malta and Austrian code share and co-ordinate timetables on the Malta-Vienna route. Same thing with SAS on the Stockholm and Oslo routes, and possibly a re-instatement of flights to Gothenburg & Copenhagen by both airlines. I would hate to see competition on these routes should Air Malta join Star Alliance as a regional member.

I would also love to see Air Malta's flights to the UK codeshare with bmi, not that Air Malta needs that to fill its UK flights, but just to possibly help boost growth and expansion. On top of that, codesharing with Air One, and the introduction of scheduled flights by Spanair would simply be great... I think I need a reality check now! The sky's the limit  biggrin 

Knightsofmalta

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:08 pm

I second BBADX's proposal. It's not too much to ass is it??