Bruspotter

Air Babylon- Your thoughts on this book.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 am

A friend recently gave me a copy of 'Air Babylon' by Imogen Edwards-Jones. 'A facinating exposé of life in the sky'. I have been compelled to read it cover to cover just from the sheer awfulness of it. Supossedly documenting actual events within a 24 hour period at a large UK airport, written in documentary style with the help of an annonymous UK airline duty manager, it tells tales of cabin crew who pass wind in passengers' faces, or who spit in their drinks, corrupt check-in staff who accept bribes for upgrades, unsafe aircraft flying illegally, ground crew having sex in airport toilets, plus countless other unbelievable situations.

Has anyone else read this rubbish?

Please tell me that these things don't go on in real life!
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

FlyingColours

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:07 am

I've read it, I found it quite enjoyable.

Well that stuff doesn't really happen, its more of what used to happen over the years when airlines were not as strict and flying as crew was more fun than work.

Although I can say I've never experianced much of what happens in there during my flying career, but hey its only been two years  Wink

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

trekster

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:10 am

Very funny book.

Its obvious that does not happen one every flight. Its what could happen over a year PUT onto every flight.

Cried at some of the things being said lol
Where does the time go???

Bruspotter

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:15 am

I guess I'm just too old to appreciate it....
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

miami1

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:42 am

BRUspotter
Not sure if you ever worked for an airline or not, but things like "that" do happen from both sides of the sprectrum, pax and airline employee misconduct is rife. In the 17 years ive worked for my airline ive seen stuff that would and should make the 6 o'clock news. I found air babylon hilarious, many of the stories are things ive seen others do or heard of them do , cant wait for the sequel !!.
Regards.

SA7700

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:52 am

I read the book during a recent trip to HKG. Some stuff was hilarious, although I would not like to exit an aircraft on top of a drinks trolley....

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

FlyingColours

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 5):
I would not like to exit an aircraft on top of a drinks trolley....

I got locked in a drinks trolley once, did it as a joke on a very long and dull flight, then one of the girls decided to close the door with me crammed inside (having taken out all of the drawes first).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

HUYfan

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:49 am

I have just finished reading the book. I thought it was appalling. It was written by a GROUNDSTAFF member who professes to know everything about being actual crew.

It is Bull****

Regards

Mike

rdwootty

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:58 am

I might be old but I also enjoyed it. I did take my salt with me when I read it and had frequent throws over the shoulder..I think that every one of the "experiences" occured at some point in a year....It was a good laugh and is meant to be just that. By the way there are NO flights from LHR-TFS so thats wrong

hz747300

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:02 am

I thought it says that he took all the outrageous events over 10 years and put them into one book. It is not a recreation of any one 24 hour period. However, I still found it hard to believe!
Keep on truckin'...