stealth777

What Ever Happened To The Fairchild 728jet?

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:12 pm

Tonight i was looking thru an old Airliner World magazine from June of 2001 and saw an ad for the Fairchild Dornier 328Jet. They were stating its the only 32-34 seat regional jet on the market. But I don't recall any airlines ordering the plane. (however I did a search and came across many pics of the plane in the database so I can assumed that it did ok.) However I do recall seeing an ad in one the aviation magazines about the 728jet. It was similar in size to the E-170 but was introduced about 3 years earlier. I see in the database there are very few pics of the aircraft and I see that only one was produced, while the 2nd airframe was about 95% complete. Does anyone remember this plane and also what became of the program? Looking in the database shows the E-170 came out at the end of Nov, 2001 while the 728jet was rolled out in March of 2002. So they were introduced around the same time. But why did the 728 fail, while the E-170 took off?

-stealth

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Unmuth-AirTeamImages VAP
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Embgirl

columba

RE: What Ever Happened To The Fairchild 728jet?

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Bankruptcy of Fairchild-Dornier and no one willing to safe the programm.
Boeing was looking to take-over Fairchild Dornier but after they checked the books of Fairchild Dornier they withdraw from it also a Chinese company refused to save the company.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos