DL787932ER
Topic Author

DL Recalling 200 Pilots, May Renew Hiring (news)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 am

AJC article

More good news for DL and its employees. As long as the US merger doesn't happen, I think 2007 will be a very good year.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

skibum9

RE: DL Recalling 200 Pilots, May Renew Hiring (news)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:12 am

Hmmm....

Airline Pilot Pay is showing that 264 are on furlough. It seems low, but I do know that a lot of guys retired early, causing a lot of recalls and working out "special" conditions to bring some of the retired guys back. If they are hiring again, that is a good sign. I know at NW they are talking about bringing all their guys back, but if you look at UA and AA there is still a good number of guys on the street! Interestingly OH is having such an attrition problem that they have lowered the requirements to 600 hrs, a Commercial rating, a Multi-Engine endorsement and a passed ATP written. Pretty low standards. But this could be an indication that things are on the rebound!
Tailwinds!!!

bucky707

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 1):
Airline Pilot Pay is showing that 264 are on furlough. It seems low, but I do know that a lot of guys retired early, causing a lot of recalls and working out "special" conditions to bring some of the retired guys back.

There are currently about 370 on still on furlough. 200 of those have been offered recall and bypassed, leaving about 170 who have not been offered recall. There are also about 250 on military leave, some of whom could come back.

There are no longer any retired pilots flying for Delta.

MD88Captain

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 am

I wonder if that naked, car hating ASA guy from GRR is available to be hired. I want to party with him!

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 am

First good news for DL and the pilots.

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 1):
But this could be an indication that things are on the rebound!

It seems like we're finally seeing the furlough lists cut into. I have a feeling that full recalls will go out at quite a few airlines within the next year.  bigthumbsup 

But this brings up a question, is anyone having trouble hiring? It just seems like the majors will pilfer from the regionals and maybe even the business jet providers? Probably the net effect will be greater turn over there and maybe better salary. (Maybe...)

Quoting Bucky707 (Reply 2):

There are currently about 370 on still on furlough. 200 of those have been offered recall and bypassed, leaving about 170 who have not been offered recall. There are also about 250 on military leave, some of whom could come back.

That's not many left... By next summer the furlough list could be zeroed out for DL.  Smile

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

worldtraveler

Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:10 am

while DL is certainly growing to justify these recalls, it doesn't hurt to gain several hundred more supporters in its attempt to defeat US' merger proposal since those recalled pilots along w/ a bunch of existing DL employees will almost certainly be put back on the street if US is able to acquire its much larger direct competitor.

kc135topboom

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:05 pm

This shows DL is getting heatlier.

panamair

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 5):
while DL is certainly growing to justify these recalls, it doesn't hurt to gain several hundred more supporters in its attempt to defeat US' merger proposal since those recalled pilots along w/ a bunch of existing DL employees will almost certainly be put back on the street if US is able to acquire its much larger direct competitor.

The fast and furious recall announcements recently - the pilots, TechOps, etc., are also aimed at showing others that DL can grow and prosper on its own, that it is already making substantial progress on its own without outside help.

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 4):
That's not many left... By next summer the furlough list could be zeroed out for DL.

That's why they're already making preparations now in case of new hires next year by setting up a team to revamp the new pilot hire process