andaman

Busy Xmas Charter Winter In Finnish Lapland

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:01 am

The radio news told that the first Xmas charter flights have arrived in Northern-Finland. This winter around 560 charter flights are expected from other parts of Europe, especially from UK, mainly to Rovaniemi (RVN), Kittilä (KTT), Ivalo (IVL). That would be about 100 flights more than last winter.
Also Finnair has scheduled non stop flights (A320) from Zurich to KTT.

The travel business around Christmas and Santa Clause, and also ski sports,
has grown a lot in past couple of years in Northern-Finland.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

DavidT

RE: Busy Xmas Charter Winter In Finnish Lapland

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:06 am

How many flights per day is RVN going to be handling this winter? When I visit in February it's almost empty (good thing to, its quite a small airport)! Can't imagine what it's like at peak time over Christmas!

LN-MOW

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:16 am

It's quite a sight. I've been up there several times, and once in the middle of the 'rush'. The ramp was packed full of planes, mostly British charter carriers. Including a BA Concorde - a regular visitor to RVN at Christmas.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

solnabo

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:22 am

@ Andaman

Have you got any snow up at Rovaniemi, ´cuz here in Sthlm it´s springtime and +10 C....recordwarm Dec 1st for over 150 years.

Gimme snow NOW!!!

Micke//  hissyfit 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

ZRHnerd

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 3):

Same as here, and our winter resorts struggle to open because there's no snow in the mountains either!

andaman

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting DavidT (Reply 1):
How many flights per day is RVN going to be handling this winter? When I visit in February it's almost empty (good thing to, its quite a small airport)! Can't imagine what it's like at peak time over Christmas!

I heard RVN will get some 250 charters around Xmas.

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 3):
@ Andaman

Have you got any snow up at Rovaniemi, ´cuz here in Sthlm it´s springtime and +10 C....recordwarm Dec 1st for over 150 years.

Gimme snow NOW!!!

Micke//

Not much snow in RVN, better situation in Northern-Lapland. Here in HEL not a single snow flake, just dark and wet, snow would bring some light...
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

debonair

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:29 pm

...and this year no SODER AIRWAYS AN-72 plans???  duck