ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Swiss Aviation Thread One

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:01 am

Alright fellow Swiss a.nutters. Here it finally is, our own personal thread Big grin No more need to hijack other threads with our personal discussions, no more searching the forums about any Swiss related threads. Now you can discuss your favourite topic about Swiss aviation in here.

There sure is a lot to discuss, as ie:

EZY-LX battle
LX's expansion
ZRH, BSL, GVA airport news
Helvetic's new corporate identity
the list goes on.

So let's keep this active and let's start off with...errr... your choice Big grin

have fun
Sandro

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Thread starter):
No more need to hijack other threads with our personal discussions

That's right! Like for the LX at BHX thread that ended up in a SR Express and EI European LCC model discussion.  Wink

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 am

Exactly, that was why i started this one  Wink

saab2000

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:15 am

How 'bout LX following their contractual obligations and recalling all the pilots laid off in 2003? The contract said, in effect, "Pilots will be called back in reverse order of dismissal" in the event that LX needs pilots.

Where's my recall letter?

That is my biggest beef with Swiss aviation. Yup, I am a bit sour about that one......

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread here, cuz I do like CH-Aviatik and want it all to succeed, even LX.
smrtrthnu

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 3):
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread here

You didn't, as this is exactly what this thread is intended for.
So I assume you used to be a Saab2000 pilot?

Regarding your question i cant really help you, as i'm not a swiss management member or something like that Big grin

BA787

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:18 am

My biggest beef is the obsession with the swiss flag in the liveries, brighten up guys.

Suppose the phrase "So perfect its could almost be swiss" doesn't really apply anymore when it comes to aviation. Big grin

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:21 am

Brilliant ! Here we goooooo  champagne   veryhappy 
Swissair forever !

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 5):
My biggest beef is the obsession with the swiss flag in the liveries, brighten up guys.

Would you please be kind enough to read again my answers on the following topic ?  Big grin Tschüss

Helvetic New Colors - Here Is She...

saab2000

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 5):
Suppose the phrase "So perfect its could almost be swiss" doesn't really apply anymore when it comes to aviation. 

It could be. Back in the day LX and SR were the standard.

I now fly in the US and DAILY am nostalgic for how it worked in Switzerland. Operationally there is no comparison. In Switzerland the airplanes were clean, catered, lavs serviced after every flight, well maintained, etc.

I learned all about aviation in Switzerland and got my licenses there before I got my US licenses, so I learned it 'the hard way'.

Not everything in Swiss aviation is perfect. Not by long shot. But it ain't bad either. I wish I were still there.

And yes, ZRHnerd, I flew SB-20s for two years over there. I was based in LUG. Flying into LUG kicks ass. Big grin

[Edited 2006-12-01 18:33:59]
smrtrthnu

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:36 am

Swissair forever !

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 8):
Flying into LUG kicks ass.

Haha Big grin I bet it does. May I ask what type you currently fly?

saab2000

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 10):
May I ask what type you currently fly?

I currently fly a CRJ-200 for Air Wisconsin under the brand name of US Airways Express. I'll be upgrading to captain soon.

The business is quite different in the US than in Europe and there is NO CHANCE to go straight to large aircraft or start out on the left seat as captain at a 'normal' airline. That is one reason I am still pi$$ed off at LX. Leaving there forced me to start over completely at the bottom.

Anyway, it is good experience flying the CRJ. It is fast and we fly into all the major airports in the US and Canada. But my days of flying in Europe are probably over unless I get on with one of the US major airlines and get to fly to Europe on transatlantic flights. I have a very good connection at United and expect them to start hiring pilots next year. If I am fortunate enough to get in I will be trying for the 757/767 at IAD so that I can fly ZRH flights.
smrtrthnu

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 11):

Sounds good, good luck to you  Smile

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:58 am

I'll be upgrading to captain soon.

Congratulation !  champagne 

But my days of flying in Europe are probably over

Won't you try to come back over here ?

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:14 am

ZRHnerd, this is a great idea! I am sure this topic will stay on the first page forever! 

EZY-LX battle

What battle? LX won't win something with a three weekly flight BSL-MAN!   

LX's expansion

Concerning ZRH, LX is expanding which is a good sign. It is now interesting to see if the profits are lastingly or if they are back in the reds when the economic climate changes. Believe it or not, i cross my fingers for them.
As for GVA, I am not well informed but in BSL we need to be honest. The new product is very doubtful.

Preferred the old one. But their customers are different now, I guess they will prefer the new one.

ZRH, BSL, GVA airport news

For GVA and ZRH I hope some others will make a list. I will start with BSL for now...

Confirmed news:

-Sun Express twice weekly scheduled flights to Izmir (737-800)

-SkyEurope: 3x weekly to Cracow (starting in March), 737-700
4x weekly to Budapest (starting in February), 737-300

-Clickair daily to BCN (starting in March), A-320

-Atlas Blue twice weekly to Marrakech (737-400)

-Royal Air Maroc twice weekly to Casablanca (next year), comeback after 15 years!

-Korean Air Cargo, second weekly flight Dubai-Seoul, 747-400

-MASKargo, third weekly flight (now serving Kuala Lumpur and Shanghai), 747-200/400

-Aigle Azur, new weekly flight to Algiers, A-320

-Swiss: Reducing AMS and LCY, starting MAN (3 weekly), Warsaw (3 weekly), BCN (5 weekly), BUD (4 weekly), NCE (4 weekly), PRG (4 weekly). Total increase against last year is only 8 flights per week.

-Iceland Express weekly to Keflavik (starting in June), HELLO MD-90

-HLX takes over HLF flights to PMI but goes back to daily

-charter: too much news to post here...

Apart from that, Jet Aviation is building new hangars and creating 1000 new jobs at Basel airport. The hangars will host aircraft up to the A-380.

-easyJet currently thinking about a fifth aircraft to be based in BSL, not finally decided yet. A new daily route to LGW is expected though very soon.

-Expect Ryanair to enter Switzerland in summer 07 since talks with BSL airport are on a very good path right now.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,
RJ100

[Edited 2006-12-01 19:15:29]
none

dambuster

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:17 am

LX don't look very good... they've lost it at GVA BSL for sure, the only thing they have to say they're superior is their total pax flow, let's see if EZY will even take that from them  Wink

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 14):
Expect Ryanair to enter Switzerland in summer 07 since talks with BSL airport are on a very good path right now.

Oh jesus. Nightmare come true.

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:31 am

GVA airport news

I hope some others will make a list.

Well, for GVA, you can still visit this site to stay informed:

www.dpts.org

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 16):

rotfl 

[Edited 2006-12-01 19:34:36]

BA787

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting Magyarorszag (Reply 7):

I agree whole-heartedly, that new livery triggered my post.

Would be nice if they came up with something original!!  Wink

helvknight

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:41 am

-Expect Ryanair to enter Switzerland in summer 07 since talks with BSL airport are on a very good path right now.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

glidepath73

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:52 am

Hi Guys,

just came back from VIE this evening. Wondered about the current state of the hurt LX 343 with door 2L teared off by a jetway a few days ago. Was it quick repaired maybe over night, or was it necessary to rent another a/c to substitute the hurt 343?

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Glidepath73 (Reply 20):
just came back from VIE this evening. Wondered about the current state of the hurt LX 343 with door 2L teared off by a jetway a few days ago. Was it quick repaired maybe over night, or was it necessary to rent another a/c to substitute the hurt 343?

Hey Patrick, currently one longhaul flight needs to get cancelled every day as long as the aircraft is damaged. On the shorter longhauls (TLV etc.) smaller aircraft will be used in the meantime as far as I know.

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 16):

Quoting Helvknight (Reply 19):

If you guys don't like FR don't use them.  Smile I find the first reactions of a possible Ryanair service to Switzerland typical if I might say so for some people here- and typical for the people in Switzerland who still live some years back! Wake up guys! It is the market which decides today and not some Swiss airline managers who decide if BSL will see a flight per day to London and 3 flights a week to Manchester. Needless to say that it would be a major blow again to the guys who thought there would be no market here and who supported LX's fatal destruction in BSL.  Wink

Regards,
RJ100  Smile
none

LTU932

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:32 am

So I'm guessing FR is going to call BSL Zürich (Northwest)?  stirthepot 

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:39 am

Zürich EuroAirport  Wink . At least that's what they wanted to call it some years ago when they wanted to install a base here. I hope Mr. Rämi (airport director) in the meantime explained to MOL during a good Guinness why this would be the worst FR decision ever!  Wink
none

legacy135

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 21):
Quoting Helvknight (Reply 19):

If you guys don't like FR don't use them. I find the first reactions of a possible Ryanair service to Switzerland typical if I might say so for some people here- and typical for the people in Switzerland who still live some years back! Wake up guys! It is the market which decides today and not some Swiss airline managers who decide if BSL will see a flight per day to London and 3 flights a week to Manchester. Needless to say that it would be a major blow again to the guys who thought there would be no market here and who supported LX's fatal destruction in BSL.

I am personally not to hot about getting FR either. I am mainly concerned, if the local market can really support EasyJet AND Ryanair. I could very much imagine a scenario, they come mix up all the market, EasyJet goes back to GVA and finally FR gives up as well, as they fly to other airports which are nearby (FKB or FDH to name them).

I think having EasyJet using it's airport is quite a good thing, as their product is pretty much ok. Getting FR in would mean that they want special prices and extra privileges on about everything. I doubt that Euroairport can give them any other treatment than they offer EsayJet, otherwise they risk to run into problems with one of their most important customer. Would be a shame, having Ryanair at BSL but to see EasyJet go. It's good to have traffic on a airport, but not more than the markets can cater with passengers, otherwise we risk to loose all we have.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:45 am

As I'm very nostalgic of the good old time,  crying  I love the all new Helvetic corporate identity !
I think it's currently the best Swiss c/s in service ! Well done !  Smile
Swissair forever !

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 24):
I am mainly concerned, if the local market can really support EasyJet AND Ryanair.

Hi Legacy  Smile

I have no doubts  Wink. In my opinion there are some big gaps left. We could need Dublin, some destinations in Scandinavia (completely underserved from BSL and ZRH in terms of low fares), I heard FR is also interested in serving some Eastern European destinations.

I could very much imagine a scenario, they come mix up all the market, EasyJet goes back to GVA and finally FR gives up as well, as they fly to other airports which are nearby (FKB or FDH to name them).

Negociations are still running but I can tell you that the contract will include that Ryanair is not flying on existing easyJet routes. Also it is not Ryanair's goal to damage easyJet. It is their goal to make money here, therefore they will fly to unserved destinations.

I doubt that Euroairport can give them any other treatment than they offer EsayJet

You are completely right! But the tariff regulation of EAP is the same for everyone. So either FR takes it or leaves it  Wink

Best regards,
RJ100
none

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Glidepath73 (Reply 20):
Was it quick repaired maybe over night, or was it necessary to rent another a/c to substitute the hurt 343?

According to ZRHnerd, the 343 might be ready for Tuesday.

If you guys don't like FR don't use them.

Count me in for that. Just because I don't wanna have to fold my legs four times.  Smile

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 22):
So I'm guessing FR is going to call BSL Zürich (Northwest)?

How about Freiburg Süd ?  Big grin

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 23):
explained to MOL during a good Guinness why this would be the worst FR decision ever!

Is that possible ?

LTU932

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 22):
So I'm guessing FR is going to call BSL Zürich (Northwest)?

Quoting Magyarorszag (Reply 27):
How about Freiburg Süd ?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

ME AVN FAN

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 am

Ryanair to enter Switzerland in summer 07 since talks with BSL airport are on a very good path

great news ! 2nd Ryanair base in the region after FDH

ME AVN FAN

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:45 am

the local market can really support EasyJet AND Ryanair.

the situation for BSL with the almost monopoly of EasyJet was a bit dangerous in a way and will improve with a second player. I may be wrong but it looks as if EasyJet manages to mobilize the existing markets (CH/F/D) quite well.

BA

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:58 am

This is only partly aviation related, but does anyone have any updates on the plans to connect BSL to the Swiss railway network like ZRH and GVA are?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Falcon Flyer

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:00 am

Thumbs up for the new Helvetic colors.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:58 pm

If you guys don't like FR don't use them.

dont worry, I wont.

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 23):
Zürich EuroAirport

wahaha, what a blow Big grin

According to ZRHnerd, the 343 might be ready for Tuesday.

that's correct. They currently cancel LAX and route LAX passengers through JFK, BOS, ORD and IAD.

I am personally not to hot about getting FR either.

Why no? just let them, they aint gonna hurt LX. They will put some nice pressure onto U2. I'm still sorry for all of you BSL fans, but LX chose to hub through ZRH and they are doing well so far, too bad  Wink

BA

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 33):
Why no? just let them, they aint gonna hurt LX. They will put some nice pressure onto U2. I'm still sorry for all of you BSL fans, but LX chose to hub through ZRH and they are doing well so far, too bad

How does LX's current traffic numbers from ZRH compare to SR's traffic numbers from ZRH at their peak?

I have many fond memories on SR, both from ZRH and GVA...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ZRHnerd
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 34):

Well, they have axed a lot of intercontinental routes from ZRH, such as TPE, PEK, PVG, ATL, MNL and others, but regarding loading factors, they are doing very well with an average loading factor of well above 80%. Furthermore, they will be adding new interconti routes again with their newly acquired A332s and A343s. But still, they are nowhere near SR at their peak times, however, SR never made money with their flight operations, whereas LX (currently) does.

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:42 pm

According to yesterday Swiss news papers, Swiss Intl want to increase his offer in GVA in reaction to easyJet spectacular rise in Swiss market.
What should we expect in term of new destinations, new frequencies ?

Swiss Intl in GVA (without codesharing / official winter 06-07 timetable) :

- Athens : 7 / week

- Barcelona : 14 / week

- London City : 24 / week

- London Heathrow : 2 / week

- Moscow Domodedovo : 7 / week

- New York JFK : 7 / week

- Zurich : 63 / week

Scheduled 15 December 2006 :

- Prague : 7 / week

- London City : 42 / week

Scheduled 10 Mars 2007 :

- Valence : 4 / week

[Edited 2006-12-02 11:51:48]
Swissair forever !

Bizjetslover

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:56 pm

If I am fortunate enough to get in I will be trying for the 757/767 at IAD so that I can fly ZRH flights.

In that case... I'm looking forward to hear a friendly "Guete Morge" from you over my airband-scanner when you come to ZRH first!

Brgds

Mike Steffen
TMFNAI (the member formely known as IwantaBBJ)

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 36):

They should add more frequencies to LHR, thus allowing the use of bigger aircraft than at LCY.

LX will add four new destination from GVA begining next year. VLC will be served three times weekly before geting one more frequency shortly after.

SWISS is further expanding its Geneva-based network

aviationmaster

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 36):
According to yesterday Swiss news papers, Swiss Intl want to increase his offer in GVA in reaction to easyJet spectacular rise in Swiss market.

Are those numbers official? If yes, then they might as well not try at all. They will end up getting bitch slapped by easyJet. I always knew that Swissair and later SWISS closed many routes out of GVA, but I would have never thought that they scaled back to an extent where they are barely serving 10 cities.

How much of GVA's market do SWISS/Lufthansa have and what is easyJet's?

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:06 pm

Quoting Falcon flyer (Reply 32):
Thumbs up for the new Helvetic colors.

Isn't it ?  Wink (This is ironic or not ?)

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 26):
You are completely right! But the tariff regulation of EAP is the same for everyone. So either FR takes it or leaves it

Do easyJet pay the all 31.- CHF par passenger in BSL ? Or do they have a special low cost tariff ?

In GVA you pay only 19.- CHF so what I do not understand is why easyJet threatens to leave GVA for BSL if they don't get a special and less expensive low cost service (T2 project, AF is trying to prevent such a project in GVA).

Confused
Swissair forever !

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Quoting Magyarorszag (Reply 38):

LX will add four new destination from GVA begining next year.

Yes Prague and Valence as I said before and Stuttgart and Hambourg in codesharing with LH. But what more ?

[Edited 2006-12-02 12:11:41]
Swissair forever !

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 39):

EZY 28%, LX 14% and LH 9%.

Cheers.

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Are those numbers official?

They are, according to Swiss Intl spokesman Jurg Dinner.

Swiss Intl : 14.2 %

Lufthansa : 6.6 %

Total : 20.8 % and easyJet : 29.7 %

[Edited 2006-12-02 12:19:28]
Swissair forever !

aviationmaster

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 43):

Total : 20.8 % and easyJet : 29.7 %

Quoting Magyarorszag (Reply 42):
EZY 28%, LX 14% and LH 9%.

Thanks for the infos and fast replies! Big grin

Looks like LX have some catching up to do! But with a daily flight to Prague and 4 weekly flights to Valencia, they won't get far.

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 41):
But what more ?

Those 4 destinations seem to be their GVA "expansion".  Wink

Magyarorszag

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 44):
Looks like LX have some catching up to do!

checkmark  Actually, I said on the original thread about Swiss at GVA, that if they want to counter EZY growth they better wake up right now !

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 44):
But with a daily flight to Prague and 4 weekly flights to Valencia, they won't get far.

They won't go far, perhaps, but I prefer to see them expand steadily rather in doing a huge jump, and havind to retreat later because the losses are taking the elevator.

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 41):
But what more ?

Do they have the required aircraft and staff to add more routes or frequencies ?

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:37 pm

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 33):
just let them, they aint gonna hurt LX. They will put some nice pressure onto U2. I'm still sorry for all of you BSL fans, but LX chose to hub through ZRH and they are doing well so far, too bad

Not that there would be something left to lose for Swiss in BSL with their 2% market share this year... 
And you don't need to be sorry that they left. Nothing better could have happened to us. Finally not some airline manager in Zurich decides if we see a flight or not, finally not a government that decides if we see traffic or not...BSL served a little over 3 mio. passengers last year, this year 4 mio. and the airport director expects 5 mio. passengers for next year. Needless to say we are better off without Swiss.

Count me in for that. Just because I don't wanna have to fold my legs four times.

As if there would be more leg room in a 3-3 seated Avro...But again, the market decides and I am glad for that!

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 40):
Do easyJet pay the all 31.- CHF par passenger in BSL ? Or do they have a special low cost tariff ?

I don't know exactly how much they pay. But the tariff regulation is the same for everyone. It means airlines receive lower fares if they start unserved routes during a few months, it means that airlines receive discounts the more passengers they fly through BSL.

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 40):
GVA you pay only 19.- CHF so what I do not understand is why easyJet threatens to leave GVA for BSL if they don't get a special and less expensive low cost service (T2 project, AF is trying to prevent such a project in GVA).

They are not going to leave GVA. Both Swiss bases perform very well and they will grow both bases in the near future.

Regards,
RJ100

[Edited 2006-12-02 12:38:26]
none

lsgg

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 46):
They are not going to leave GVA. Both Swiss bases perform very well and they will grow both bases in the near future.

No doubt  Smile
However around two years ago the T2 project started in GVA because precisely of an U2 threaten concerning too high fares... GVA didn't want to lose U2 so they started to study a special low cost offer, just like in Marseilles (low cost terminal). AF, as always, is fighting against such a project in GVA and now the airport is studying other possibilities (in waiting of the commerce court decision concerning the T2), like a special LCC pier or so...
Swissair forever !

swissy

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 35):
LX (currently) does.

Cool ZRHnerd, finally someone from the "boring" country of Switzerland making a bold move.....  Wink  Wink

I like U2 and I use them whenever I can, considering I live in Winkel while I work out of Switzerland.....

RJ the market has changed a lot and BSL has become a fine "little" airport, I still remember BSL as a "ghost" airport back in late the late 80' early 90's but that is the past..... do not waste your time with bitterness in regard of ZRH and the old SR idiots.

I am very familiar with a similar case between YHM & YYZ, YYZ being the big
"arrogant" monster and YHM the underdog, however I am sure YHM will make the progress to make it to a fine little airport.

And also yes I am Zuriheggel but never less BSL people rock!! Big grin

So guys lets see how long we can keep that topic going.

Cheers,

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting BA (Reply 31):
updates on the plans to connect BSL to the Swiss railway network like ZRH and GVA are?

sorry, it is in German : http://www.bs.ch/tgv-via-basel.pdf and means that it will be established until 2010
-