clickhappy

Howard Hughes And The Convair 880

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:27 am

I recently read in the book Howard Hughes: The Untold Story that Howard Hughes sent armed employees to the Convair factory in San Diego to prevent employees for finishing airplanes (880s) that he had ordered, and money was due when they were ready for delivery.

Is this true? Surely the police would have been called?

PanAm747

RE: Howard Hughes And The Convair 880

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:44 am

I can't answer for that - but considering the brilliance of Howard Hughes in financial matters, I would be inclined to believe that this would not have been something he would want to have been involved with. Crazy? Possibly. Stupid? Not a chance.

With his past Hollywood connections, the press would have gone bezerk with scandal involving Hughes. And having made his fortune by knowing exactly what he was doing, I am comfortably certain he had at least several back-up plans in case TWA had problems at delivery time. Plan B or C or D or E or who knows was executed in the form of Toolco, the holding company owned by Hughes.

There is also a very good discussion going on here about Hughes and TWA:

http://www1.airliners.net/discussion...eneral_aviation/read.main/3123033/
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

clickhappy

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 am

The problem, as stated by the book, was Hughess lack of ability to make a decision with regards to purchasing the DC-8 or the 707. It goes into detail about how he would review engineering drawings for hours at a time, yet would not make a decision. Finally, in desperation, he pulled the trigger on something like 500 million dollars worth of Convair 880s, think about how much money that was on late-1950s dollars.

aeroweanie

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
And having made his fortune by knowing exactly what he was doing, I am comfortably certain he had at least several back-up plans in case TWA had problems at delivery time.

Howard Hughes did not make his fortune. His father did, by inventing the oil drilling bit and then leasing them, instead of selling them. Howard was an example of being able to make money because he had a lot to start with.