TLHFLA
Topic Author

Orlando Int'l (MCO) Airsides 1 And 3 Renovations

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:48 am

It looks like Airsides 1 and 3 and Orlando Int'l (MCO) are going to be getting renovations in the near future. I came across the website of one of the contractors that includes a drawing of the new look (on the left side of the page):

http://www.g-e-c.com/airport.html

Looks like they will be getting new hub areas that look similar to the newer airsides with the large skylights. The renovated hubs should make a big difference. It would nice if they could add the skylights in the wings like the newer airsides, but I would imagine such an upgrade would be quite expensive and disruptive considering renovations will take place while the areas are still operational.

It appears that Airside 3 will be the first to get the upgrades.
Bill in ATL

Clipper136

RE: Orlando Int'l (MCO) Airsides 1 And 3 Renovations

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:55 am

Actually,

The renovation does include skylights in each wing, similar to Airsides 2 & 4. As well as new seating. The initial work for the skylights in the wings was accomplished with the hurricane repairs to the roof of Airside 1 & 3 after the 2004 season. The wings will also get the marble tile down the center of the wings under the skylights, again, like Airside 2 & 4.
You can't beat the Experience.

whappeh

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 am

This is exciting. The old airsides were starting to look dumpy.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:16 am

That's great that they will add the skylights. I think the airsides will look much better after the renovations. I wonder if they will add the all glass shuttle stations like the east airsides have...those look neat.
Bill in ATL

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:04 am

Another question that kind of falls under this topic. Wouldn't it make sense for CO and NW to move to over to gates 90-99 since DL gave up those gates? Since they are all SkyTeam, this would be a logical move. This could clear out some space in Airsides 1 and 3, which could help move the renovations along faster.
Bill in ATL