Cory6188
Topic Author

CO Using Fortune Cookies To Push New China Route

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:14 am

I was browsing through the dockets on the DOT's website, looking to see if there was anything new with regards to a possible decision about the China route authority, and I came across the following...

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf98/421993_web.pdf

Apparently, CO has been sending out fortune cookies with fortunes in them that have been pushing their new service - and sending them as an official "service" (whatever that means in docket-speak) to other competing airlines. I think this is hysterical, and while I doubt that it is going to make difference whatsoever in the decision, I still think that it's pretty clever (and very typical of CO's marketing style).

Does anyone know anything more about this?

commavia

RE: CO Using Fortune Cookies To Push New China Route

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:16 am

American was handing out fortune cookies months ago pushing its bid for D/FW-Beijing. If I remember correctly, they were handing them out at large events, in busy urban areas, and at the airport.

LHUSA

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:18 am

I remember that AA used fortune cookies to advertise thier new route to PVG. They were handing them outside of Union Station one morning. Each one had a clever saying promoting the service. I definitely thought it was very creative and effective marketing.

VonRichtofen

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:28 am

Too bad fortune cookies are not chinese at all, but were started by an American...

I know it's just a gimmick, but maybe they should have used something more culturally accurate. Handing out fortune cookies sounds like something a cheesy LCC would do.

Kris

Pilot3033

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 3):
Too bad fortune cookies are not chinese at all, but were started by an American...

I know it's just a gimmick, but maybe they should have used something more culturally accurate. Handing out fortune cookies sounds like something a cheesy LCC would do.

But if your advertising to Americans, why not use what to associate with China? You could use a Panda, but you can't quite get a message inside of that.

Using the cookie, you tap into the average persons mind (Fortune Cookie=China, even if it doesn't in reality), and you can put a cute slogan inside of it. Now when they see fortune cookies, or think of China...they will remember the airline.
-Matt