Cory6188
Topic Author

CO Using Fortune Cookies To Push New China Route

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:14 am

I was browsing through the dockets on the DOT's website, looking to see if there was anything new with regards to a possible decision about the China route authority, and I came across the following...

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf98/421993_web.pdf

Apparently, CO has been sending out fortune cookies with fortunes in them that have been pushing their new service - and sending them as an official "service" (whatever that means in docket-speak) to other competing airlines. I think this is hysterical, and while I doubt that it is going to make difference whatsoever in the decision, I still think that it's pretty clever (and very typical of CO's marketing style).

Does anyone know anything more about this?

commavia

RE: CO Using Fortune Cookies To Push New China Route

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:16 am

American was handing out fortune cookies months ago pushing its bid for D/FW-Beijing. If I remember correctly, they were handing them out at large events, in busy urban areas, and at the airport.

LHUSA

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:18 am

I remember that AA used fortune cookies to advertise thier new route to PVG. They were handing them outside of Union Station one morning. Each one had a clever saying promoting the service. I definitely thought it was very creative and effective marketing.

VonRichtofen

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:28 am

Too bad fortune cookies are not chinese at all, but were started by an American...

I know it's just a gimmick, but maybe they should have used something more culturally accurate. Handing out fortune cookies sounds like something a cheesy LCC would do.

Kris

Pilot3033

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 3):
Too bad fortune cookies are not chinese at all, but were started by an American...

I know it's just a gimmick, but maybe they should have used something more culturally accurate. Handing out fortune cookies sounds like something a cheesy LCC would do.

But if your advertising to Americans, why not use what to associate with China? You could use a Panda, but you can't quite get a message inside of that.

Using the cookie, you tap into the average persons mind (Fortune Cookie=China, even if it doesn't in reality), and you can put a cute slogan inside of it. Now when they see fortune cookies, or think of China...they will remember the airline.
-Matt

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos