atct

Cessna NGP Vs. Other Production Two Seaters?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 am

Just out of pure curiosity, how do you think the new Cessna NGP will do against aircraft such as the OMF Symphony, AMD Alarus, Cub Crafters Top Cub, Legend Aircraft Cub, and other assorted two seaters in production?

ATCT

(Personally im a Legend Cub fan)
Trikes are for kids!

MrChips

RE: Cessna NGP Vs. Other Production Two Seaters?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:41 am

I'm assuming you mean the Cessna LSA concept aircraft rather than the NGP concept, as they are intended for two very different markets. The LSA is the two-seat spiritual successor to the 152, and the NGP is a 4/6 seat high-performance single.

In terms of performance, not much has been said about the LSA aircraft, although I would surmise that it will match the maximums permitted by the LSA category rules; that being a 120 knot cruise speed, 1320 lb. max gross weight and no more than two seats. Also, Cessna has said repeatedly that they would very much like to keep unit cost below $100,000.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

kbfispotter

RE: Cessna NGP Vs. Other Production Two Seaters?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting ATCT (Thread starter):
Just out of pure curiosity, how do you think the new Cessna NGP will do against aircraft such as the OMF Symphony, AMD Alarus, Cub Crafters Top Cub, Legend Aircraft Cub, and other assorted two seaters in production?

Cessna's NGP is meant to compete with the Cirrus, not the LSA crowd. Cessna has a LSA demonstrator that they debuted at Oshkosh this year in I believe (I very easily could be wrong) mockup form. The proof of concept aircraft did not fly until just about two months ago. If I can remember correctly, this airworthy prototype made an appearance at the AOPA Expo in Palm Springs last month, along with the NGP.

From the AOPA website:

Quote:
Cessna firmly marked its foray into the world of light sport aircraft (LSA) with the maiden flight of its proof-of-concept airplane on October 13. The airplane departed McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas, at 8:33 a.m. and performed several maneuvers at speeds in excess of 110 knots. It landed at 9:05 a.m. at Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport a few miles away. "It's been nine months to the day since I gave the team the go-ahead to build an LSA concept aircraft," said Cessna chief Jack Pelton. "As the world's largest producer of single-engine piston airplanes, it's a testament to the experience and engineering ability of the Cessna team that we were able to make this happen in such a short timeframe." Cessna plans to evaluate the market and make a decision in the first quarter of 2007 on whether to go into production. The airplane is powered by a 100-horsepower Rotax engine and is primarily constructed out of aluminum. It made its debut at Oshkosh this past summer. Cessna sees the LSA as a way to use its brand to bring new pilots into the system and grow the product line.

The Cessna LSA entry

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg The Cessna NGP "Cirrus Killer"
Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos