Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Will Aer Lingus Return To BWI?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:54 am

I was just wondering.....will Aer Lingus consider returning to BWI (Baltimore/Washington)? I remember hearing their CEO saying that they were interested in serving more US destinations.

FutureFO

RE: Will Aer Lingus Return To BWI?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:20 am

Well lets see they moved from BWI-MCO and then left MCO. So who knows what they are doing.
I Don't know where I am anymore

EI321

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:21 am

EI are desparate to launch more US destinations but there almost certainly wont be any new US routes in 2007. Looking at EI's long term expansion plans, the next new US route will almost certainly be DUB to SFO, followed by MIA, DFW, PHL and maybe BWI or Dulles. Unfortunatly, there probably wont be any new US routes until either the Irish/US Govts renegotiate the current Ireland/US bilateral (which requires 50% of all Ireland-USA flights to pass through SNN, and limits EI to its four existing American routes), or full open skies between EU/US actually happens.

There are definitly two (and possibly a third) new A330s joining the fleet next summer but the current plans are to use them to beef up existing US routes, and possibly launch a new non-US route (singapore, beijing, hong kong, kuala lumpur and cape town have all been roumered in the past).

pilot21

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 1):
Well lets see they moved from BWI-MCO and then left MCO. So who knows what they are doing

BWI was dropped after the 9/11 attacks, along with EWR. It was re-started a few yrs later, but due to a lack of aircraft, it did a seasonal 1 flight a week thing which was useless to everybody. They then launched MCO as a Charter (Irish/US aviation agreements didn't allow it to be served as a scheduled destination) but despite having excellent loads, it was pulled in Jan 06 due to uneconomical crew contracts, which basically ate up the profit that was generated. DXB was then launched in Mar 06 (we never heard if the l/h crew contracts were renegotiated yet) so now there are no available aircraft to serve either BWI or MCO.

The other places EI wants to serve in the US are outlined above by EI321.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

NBGSkyGod

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 pm

When I was a ramper at BWI it was explained to me, the reason EI left BWI was that BWI/ASIG were charging them so much in fees and fuel prices that they couldn't afford it and went back up to New York.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

MCOflyer

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:23 pm

MIA has been rumored in the past.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

tsnamm

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:34 am

I know BWI is looking for more Intl carriers to serve the airport. EI people I spoke to in their cargo division @JFK said BWI was doing very well with good loads both ways. On a different note I thought a good canidate for service to BWI would be LOT Polish. Baltimore has the second largest Polish-American community behind Chicago, it would seem a natural for BWI/WAW,say 3x a week. I'm sure they must have tried.

IADLHR

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 6):
I know BWI is looking for more Intl carriers to serve the airport. EI people I spoke to in their cargo division @JFK said BWI was doing very well with good loads both ways. On a different note I thought a good canidate for service to BWI would be LOT Polish. Baltimore has the second largest Polish-American community behind Chicago, it would seem a natural for BWI/WAW,say 3x a week. I'm sure they must have tried

I would have thought the same. However, it is my understanding that LOT will start WAW-IAD summer/spring 2007. I was on a UA MUC-IAD recently and there were several top LOT officials on the flight. Upon arrival at IAD they were warmly greeted by officials from WMATA. However, I have yet to see an official press release on LOT starting IAD service.

tsnamm

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 7):

I would have thought the same. However, it is my understanding that LOT will start WAW-IAD summer/spring 2007.

I guess its the Star Alliance connection...too bad for BWI..they bet the farm on WN so there goes the alliance connections...

goldorak

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 6):
I know BWI is looking for more Intl carriers to serve the airport

I think the proximity of IAD will always make BWI badly served by long-haul lines. Except BA, which intnl (long-haul) carriers serve BWI ?

MAH4546

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 9):
Except BA, which intnl (long-haul) carriers serve BWI ?

Icelandair and Air Greenland.
a.

Danairbus

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 9):
which intnl (long-haul) carriers serve BWI ?

Air Canada
Air Jamaica
Icelandair
Mexicana

vega

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:23 am

I posted this about a month ago in another thread, which is archived:
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/08/20/story16533.asp
The 2012 EI Business Plan indicates the first 2 new U.S. cities are planned to be San Francisco and Philadelphia, followed by Florida (Miami or Orlando), the mid-Atlantic (BWI or IAD) and Texas.

The problem is that none of these cities, other than BWI, can be flown under the terms of the current bi-lateral agreement. Service cannot start until the E.U. and U.S. agree to "Open Skies". However, it is my understanding (as of November 2006 ) that EI and the Irish government are attempting to re-negotiate the existing bi-lateral agreement with the U.S. to extend to some or all of the above "new" cities. If this fails (my own opinion), EI could return to BWI as the alternative, since they have indicated a need/requirement to increase trans-atlantic traffic sufficiently to offset the additional costs of privitization. The Irish experts are probably asleep now, but I'm certain will chime in here later to add to or update this.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

tsnamm

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Danairbus (Reply 11):
Air Canada
Air Jamaica
Icelandair
Mexicana

Which for all intenets and purposes is nobody...none of the big players with the exception of BA go there...not AF/LH/KL/AZ...no Asian carriers...considering all the connecting domestic traffic that could be picked up from WN, you would think SOMEBODY would give it a shot, as well as any O&D traffic available. The Baltimore/Washington corridor is one of the most densely populated areas of the country...surely service could be justified to both IAD and BWI.

Corsair1107

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 pm

IMHO, BWI won't get any new international traffic from the majors until the folks at the MTA can convince everyone of how much easier BWI is to use than IAD. BWI is percieved to be a hassle to get to from Northern Virginia even when traffic is decent (which is why WN was so excited to get gates at IAD). Also, the majority of the business and longhaul vacationers in the DC metro area generally come from the more affluent immediate suburbs of Washington (who consider themselves closer to IAD) and with the construction of the new Metrorail Silver Line to Dulles airport, that will only solidify IAD as the international gateway for the region.

There is one important thing to think about with regard to international ops out of BWI - Air Mobility Command charters. The International "E Pier" at BWI is always busy with troops and contractors rotating home and abroad.
Flown on: DHC-6/8, F100, B1900C, 717, 727, 737, 757, 767, 777, 319, 320, C152/172, E135/145, DC-9, MD-83/88 CL600