aerlingus747

Aeroflots Western Aircraft Reg.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:17 am

I was looking at a few photos of Aeroflot and noticed that there Airbus and Boeing aircraft are VP-??? but there others are RA-?????.What is with the different reg.

Thanks in advance.

Clipper136

RE: Aeroflots Western Aircraft Reg.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:41 pm

VP-BXX aircraft are registered in Bermuda.

RA-XXXXX are registered in Russia.

The "Western" aircraft are registered in Bermuda as a result if the financing used to purchase or lease the aircraft. EXIM Bank I think...not positive.
You can't beat the Experience.

LTU932

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 pm

Quoting AerLingus747 (Thread starter):
I was looking at a few photos of Aeroflot and noticed that there Airbus and Boeing aircraft are VP-??? but there others are RA-?????.What is with the different reg.

See below.

Quoting Clipper136 (Reply 1):
The "Western" aircraft are registered in Bermuda as a result if the financing used to purchase or lease the aircraft. EXIM Bank I think...not positive.

Only in part probably. Most of all, the reason why most Western aircraft operating for Russian airlines are registered in Bermuda is because of Russian import taxes. If these import taxes weren't as high as they are today, I'm sure more Western aircraft would be present in the Russian register.

flyinTLow

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
Only in part probably. Most of all, the reason why most Western aircraft operating for Russian airlines are registered in Bermuda is because of Russian import taxes. If these import taxes weren't as high as they are today, I'm sure more Western aircraft would be present in the Russian register.

So does that mean that these aircraft are registered in Bermuda with an Aeroflot-owned Bermudan airline and just wetleased to Aeroflot? Or how does this registered in Bermuda thing work?

Sorry if this questions turns out to be stupid!

Cheers.

Thilo
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

LTU932

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 3):
So does that mean that these aircraft are registered in Bermuda with an Aeroflot-owned Bermudan airline and just wetleased to Aeroflot? Or how does this registered in Bermuda thing work?

They're simply registered in Bermuda, much like many private jets are registered in other countries without them being any kind of a commercial airline ACMI lease. The aircraft are owned or dry-leased and fully operated by SU but they simply want to avoid the Russian import taxes. Doing this has become common practice in Russia, with the exeption of Vim Airlines and their Russian registered ex DE 757s and another airline which has 737s and Dash-8s in the Russian register.