planenutz

When Airport Employees Just Don't Get It...

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:22 am

Funny story. This happened to me this past Saturday and I swear its true.
I arrived into OAK from ORD that evening. I proceeded to the baggage claim of Terminal 1 to collect my luggage from my UA flight. As I was standing by the carousel waiting, I happened to glance around and notice some signage over one of the other carousels. At OAK, airline branding is used over some carousels to indicate which airlines use each carasel. Consider my shock when I saw a sign the said "Ryanair". Thats right, evidently the Irish LCC had started service to OAK, perhaps flying nonstop to Hahn, Carcasonne, or perhaps even Klagenfurt.

The sign was in Ryanair's font and logo. I then realized that perhaps the airport authorities were confusing Ryanair with Ryan International, which operates flights on behalf of Suntrips to Hawaii and Mexico.

I went to the Information Desk located between the ticket counters and baggage claim and told the staff person that a mistake had been made, that Ryanair doesn't in fact fly to OAK, but rather Ryan International. The woman looked at me like I was insane and said that Ryanair did in fact operate to OAK. I corrected her and told her that it was in fact Ryan International which operates flights to OAK, on behalf of Suntrips. She proceeded to tell me that Ryanair and Ryan International were the same, and that Ryan International must have shortened their name to Ryanair! I then asked if the computer she had in front of her had internet acccess. She said "yes" and I therefore begged her to go to ryanair.com for proof. She responded: "I'm sure the airport people know what they were doing when the put that sign up" and then moved the the next customer in line.

I then emailed Oakland Metropolitan Airport with my discovery. I received a response indicating pretty much the same thing, that Ryanair did in fact operate to Oakland, on behalf of Suntrips. I responded with a correction that in fact its Ryan International operating on behalf of Suntrips and that Ryanair and Ryan International are indeed two very different carriers. I also included th requisite web links.

I have yet to receive a response.

Anybody else have stories about airline/airport personnel who just dont get it?
Not all who wander are lost....

bobnwa

RE: When Airport Employees Just Don't Get It...

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Planenutz (Thread starter):

I'm sure you were not pompous and superior acting during any of this situation were you? The poor lady did not need you confronting her acting like Don Quixote. Would you have been happy if it the sign just said "Ryan"?

jwenting

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 am

Of course not, he'd have complained that no airline called "Ryan" exists...
I wish I were flying

charlienorth

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:53 am

Does it really matter?? Sounds like you wasted your own time.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

ClassicLover

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:54 am

Surely Ryan International would have had a ticket desk? Surley their staff would know? How funny is that...
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

FlyUSCG

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:57 am

I was flying PHX-SNA with a friend from school (Embry-Riddle) and we wanted to go check out the cockpit when the pilots arrived. So we asked the gate agent if we could go up when he showed up. We told her where we went to school, what we were doing, our pilots licenses and all that. But she said it can't be done and wasn't being too helpful about it. So when the FO showed up, we asked him (because it's his say and NOT hers). He said "sure, let me just check with the gate agent quick". He then went and asked her and I heard her tell him "O yah, thats fine. I was just waiting for you to show up to ask you". So we were happy we got on, but were just thinking "WTF!? that stupid "women" (that wasn't our word) just said no and now she says yes" (and we just said that to each other, no one else heard). So yah, we got on board, messed around up front for a bit and were on our way.

And as for the original poster, I'd write a letter to Ryanair and let them know their brand name is being used without permission etc, etc...
Go Trojans! Fight On!

boyshane

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 am

Don't you have anything better to do than try to impress the information desk attendant with your arrogance??? Geez, your the kind of people who give the traveling public a bad name. WHO CARES?!?!?

planenutz

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:10 am

I just got a response from Oakland Airport (Landside Operations Dept.).
They have acknowledged the incorrect signage and said that it will be removed. They thanked me for bringing this mistake to their attention, and have "assured me that the situation will be rectified."

boyshane

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:16 am

Well, we will all sleep better at night knowing the sign above a baggage carousel in OAK will soon be corrected.

PanAm747

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:18 am

Quote:
Don't you have anything better to do than try to impress the information desk attendant with your arrogance??? Geez, your the kind of people who give the traveling public a bad name. WHO CARES?!?!?

We care.

It's factually wrong information.

For some of us, "good enough" isn't.

I seriously doubt that Craig went up and whined and complained or showed arrogance - he was simply pointing out that someone had put up the wrong sign.

I often wonder about people who have time to publically berate people via the computer - THEY give a.netters a bad name.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

robsawatsky

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 am

I'm glad to see a proper acknowledgement rather than the "who cares" it "doesn't matter" attitude that seems to have been endorsed by some posts here. Surely getting factual information correct is the essence of airport operations?

planenutz

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 am

You could say that I potentially prevented OAK from legal ramifications. Afterwall, I doubt that Ryanair gave OAK permission to use its branding in a public area. At SFO, where I work, we can't even use branded imagery without the City Attorney drawing up a contract, even for promotional brochures and airport advertising. We even had to get a legal opinion to place a sign at the airport entrance saying that Spirit operates from the International Terminal.

Ncfc99

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 am

Thats the first time I have heard of somebody going to an information desk to give them some information.

banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead 

LHR777

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:44 am

Sounds like someone had a lot of free time......! I can rest soundly in my bed tonight, safe in the knowledge that the baggage carousels at OAK will soon have the correct signage....

FlyUSCG

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:34 am

For those of you who said it was stupid and a waste of time for him to bring it to someones attention, quit being little bitches and get over yourselves. He did the right thing. Signage (no matter WHERE It is), should be properly labeled and be easy to read. Plus as both I and Planenutz already said, there could have been legal problems had it stayed (COULD, not WOULD). I'm sure if there was a "Southwest Airlines" sign in Frankfurt or Heathrow, you folks would say something. So go ahead and flame me or whatever you want if you disagree. But the simple fact is, your wrong and I(we) am right.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

boyshane

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 am

I think he needs to get over himself. begging the person at the information desk to pull it up on the internet to "prove" them wrong....? I have better things to do with my time, But I'll concede that you were both right since it is so important to you.

petertenthije

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:59 am

Of course it is nice to see them use the proper signage, but at the end of the day nothing really changes.

For the traveller it was pretty obvious that Ryanair was in fact Ryan International. In fact, considering that Ryan International is a charter I think it is safe to assume most people do not even realise that the signage is wrong. Heck, most people won't even realise there is a Ryanair on this side of the pond.

As for the trade mark issues. Well, that is potentially true. But then again, Ryanair does not fly to OAK or anywhere in the US for that matter. As such brand collusion is pretty much nill. The average US person will not know of Ryanair just as well as that the average European traveller will not know of Ryan International.

Now had this happened at a European airport things might be different, since Ryan International does fly to Europe. As such, at a European airport there would have been a possibilty of brand collusion.

At least it keeps us all nice and busy. I just realise I spend 15 minutes typing this reply just to say this is not really an issue...... damn.
Attamottamotta!

silverfox

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:03 am

Hawever anal the thoughts of some on here are, i commend him in rectifying a sign that in the 'sue them for whatever' society the US is, some idiot could get a shed full of dollars for that oversight

I cite that women who started it all off when she sued mcdonalds because the coffee was hot

AA787823

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:07 am

I find this very easy to believe. There are some airline employees that cannot tell the difference between a MD80 and a 737.
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

KFLLCFII

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 14):
For those of you who said it was stupid and a waste of time for him to bring it to someones attention, quit being little bitches and get over yourselves.

But the simple fact is, your wrong and I(we) am right.

It's the arrogance of yours that give us ERAU alumni a bad rep...  ashamed   banghead 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

AirframeAS

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 3):
Sounds like you wasted your own time.

Quoting Boyshane (Reply 6):
WHO CARES?!?!?

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  I would have left it alone, let them look stupid....

Quoting Boyshane (Reply 8):
Well, we will all sleep better at night knowing the sign above a baggage carousel in OAK will soon be corrected.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

n917me

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 5):
I was flying PHX-SNA with a friend from school (Embry-Riddle) and we wanted to go check out the cockpit when the pilots arrived. So we asked the gate agent if we could go up when he showed up. We told her where we went to school, what we were doing, our pilots licenses and all that. But she said it can't be done and wasn't being too helpful about it. So when the FO showed up, we asked him (because it's his say and NOT hers). He said "sure, let me just check with the gate agent quick". He then went and asked her and I heard her tell him "O yah, thats fine. I was just waiting for you to show up to ask you". So we were happy we got on, but were just thinking "WTF!? that stupid "women" (that wasn't our word) just said no and now she says yes" (and we just said that to each other, no one else heard). So yah, we got on board, messed around up front for a bit and were on our way.

Actually, It IS the gate agents decision to let you down the jetbridge early. I usually say NO..mainly for security reasons, but also because the crew has duties that needs to be completed. If you want to check out the cockpit, wait until the flight lands at you destination and be the last off, and stop in then.
I can not stand when passengers/OAL pilots try to over ride the gate agent or counter agents decision by talking to the CA or FO. Lets put it this way, at our airline, the policy is.. if the aircraft is at the gate ..door open, the flight is the gate agents.. door closed, the capain is in control.

[Edited 2006-12-07 01:17:45]

tootallsd

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting Planenutz (Reply 7):
I just got a response from Oakland Airport (Landside Operations Dept.).
They have acknowledged the incorrect signage and said that it will be removed. They thanked me for bringing this mistake to their attention, and have "assured me that the situation will be rectified."

The terror level can now be moved to YELLOW

iairallie

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:26 am

You need to make sure you are complaining to the right person. The Information lady is not the right person. She has no jurisdiction over airport signage.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

luv2fly

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 23):
You need to make sure you are complaining to the right person. The Information lady is not the right person. She has no jurisdiction over airport signage.

You hit the nail on the head!
You can cut the irony with a knife

charlienorth

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 23):

And her caring level is probably as low as ours indifferent 
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

AsstChiefMark

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 18):
There are some airline employees that cannot tell the difference between a MD80 and a 737.

Like the American Airlines' reservations people who claim AA doesn't have any MD80's. Only "Super 80" aircraft, which really aren't super in any way or form.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

planenutz

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:36 am

She might not have jurisdiction over airport signage, but I'm sure she could have communicated the issue to the appropriate people. Afterall, she is employed by the airport.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:15 am

I just hope that all the people here who have posted and yet to post have employees/coworkers at their companies/work place that know every part of their particular work location to the nth degree and to the expectation level an outsider, like us, demand sometimes.

Personally, if I don't know the answer, I will be the first to admit it and then find someone who does. So we both can know.
You can't cure stupid

aussieindc

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:08 pm

I gotta say there seems to be a lot of double standards and hypocritical comments in this thread.

This poor guy, goes and advises of some incorrect information on the sinage at OAK and gets flamed to all buggery. Yet in the same breath, I'm sure that some (yes, some) of those same people who are doing the flaming, want journalists to get informaton correct in every peice they write or cover.

A journo getting it wrong is one thing but for an airport to totally cock it up is another. Good for you Planenutz!

Tango-Bravo

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 pm

went to the Information Desk located between the ticket counters and baggage claim and told the staff person that a mistake had been made, that Ryanair doesn't in fact fly to OAK, but rather Ryan International

Correct you were. Nontheless, it seems to me that the point you proved most convincingly is that you have too much time on your hands, aka "abundance of idleness."

Every time I hear Alaska Airlines referred to as "Alaskan Air," even by those who should know better, I am of a mind to correct the offending party but, alas, I find there are better ways to spend my time and energy.

CroCop

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:54 pm

I went to the Information Desk located between the ticket counters and baggage claim and told the staff person that a mistake had been made, that Ryanair doesn't in fact fly to OAK, but rather Ryan International.

Just so we are all on the same page, this is the kind of guy airline people tell relatives around Christmas time of the Jack Ass who was bothered by a sign above the carousel.

I corrected her

First mistake.

I then emailed Oakland Metropolitan Airport

Wow, above and beyond the call of duty.

I have yet to receive a response.

You sound shocked?
Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

jetdeltamsy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 pm

You are expending waaaaaaay too much energy over nonsense.

Forget about it.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

fspilot747

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm surprised she didn't call the TSA because some "weirdo won't leave me alone."

Anyhow, I don't think there's a problem with informing them. Personally, I wouldn't have cared because I would be more interested in getting my bags and getting out of the airport. In fact, I don't even know who Ryan Int'l is. Shows how much I know.

N723GW

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:31 pm

I honestly think you did waste your time, however you can't expect every airline employee to know everything like we seem to think we do. Seems like you may have forgotten that people do work at the airport for just a paycheck, and maybe not as much of a love for aviation that you and I share.

However, I do have a kind of funny story along the same lines-

When I was working for Skyway in Muskegon, a 20 something woman came up to me and told me she needed a flight to "Tocan". I told her there was no such city, and she kept arguing with me on the city of "Tocan". So, in the Muskegon terminal there is a Northwest, Midwest and Funjet desks. However, Funjet hasn't operated a charter out of there for years, she stood at their counter and demanded I get an agent for her from Funjet Airlines! It was just very funny, point being, she wanted a ticket to Tucson, and was just a moron, one way or another. The funjet board wasnt even a board really, it was just a sign, no departures or arrivaks or anything...haha
The dude abides

FlyUSCG

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 21):
Actually, It IS the gate agents decision to let you down the jetbridge early.

Well we weren't asking to go down the jet bridge before the crew arrived. More just letting her know what we wanted to do so she could ask them when they got there (and so she would just know whats going on). We even made that clear to her. And I've always been under the impression that the final say of who gets on and off the aircraft is the Captain, hence him being the Captain.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 19):
It's the arrogance of yours that give us ERAU alumni a bad rep...

It has nothing to do with me going to ERAU. The simple fact is that A LOT of people on this site get on their high horses for any reason and are rude and jerks to people for no reason at all. IE: all the sarcastic remarks at Planenutz
for simply pointing out an error in an airport. You contribute nothing to the thread by just saying "o yes! i can now sleep at night" or "is all you do try to impress gate agents?" etc...
Go Trojans! Fight On!

Asturias

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Thats right, evidently the Irish LCC had started service to OAK, perhaps flying nonstop to Hahn, Carcasonne, or perhaps even Klagenfurt.

Yeah they've been flying this route for quite some time now. Alicante (Murcia) to London (Oakland, USA).  Wink

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

AY104

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Would not have wasted my time and energy about something like this that makes absolutely no difference to anybody at all. Sounds like you really need professional help: if something like this gets you so worked up, what do you do in a crisis?
Actually, I am even questioning my own sanity now, and realizing that I am somewhat of a hippocrite in even responding to the post.
Cheers,
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 30):
Nontheless, it seems to me that the point you proved most convincingly is that you have too much time on your hands

For taking something like 5 minutes out of his life to go point something out, while he was waiting for his luggage anyway.

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 3):
Does it really matter?? Sounds like you wasted your own time.

Geez, your the kind of people who give the traveling public a bad name. WHO CARES?!?!?

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 13):
I can rest soundly in my bed tonight, safe in the knowledge that the baggage carousels at OAK will soon have the correct signage....

I hope to God none of you are the one's loading missiles or bombs or fuel or anything else into my aircraft.
"Hey Bob, weren't we supposed to put 2,000 lbs bombs on the plane for this mission? Those are 1,000 pound bombs we just put on there."
"Minor detail. Don't worry about it."
Exaggeration of course, but not far off.

This signage may seem like a nuance thing, and it probably is, but that doesn't Planenutz is wrong in bringing this to someone's attention.
Additionally, I've seen passengers confuse "American Trans Air" with "AirTran Airways" since they both have "ATA" technically speaking. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone flew into OAK on Ryan International and saw the "Ryanair" Baggage Claim and proceeded somewhere else, looking for the "Ryan International" Baggage Claim.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

BigOrange

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Planenutz (Reply 11):
At SFO, where I work, we can't even use branded imagery without the City Attorney drawing up a contract, even for promotional brochures and airport advertising. We even had to get a legal opinion to place a sign at the airport entrance saying that Spirit operates from the International Terminal.

That's just bureaucracy, and sounds pretty much like the company I work for, where if you need a band-aid you don't go to security to get one from the first aid box because you'd have to fill out paperwork to report a papercut on your finger.

Quoting Planenutz (Reply 27):
She might not have jurisdiction over airport signage, but I'm sure she could have communicated the issue to the appropriate people. Afterall, she is employed by the airport.

But she didn't neccessarily know WHO to contact, as I wouldn't if someone from outside the company (insurance) called my department (corporate travel) for an insurance quote.

[Edited 2006-12-07 15:48:27]

SeeTheWorld

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:06 am

Jeez, get off this guy's case. For a forum that berates the media for showing a picture of the wrong aircraft in an article or getting one minor stat wrong , I would think a sign in OAK for Ryanair would make all your heads explode. For an airport the size and sophistication of OAKLAND to have made such a mistake is pretty egregious.

Having said that, the person working at the Information Desk is probably not the person to speak to. Writing an email to the Airport Administration was the way to go, and they acknowledged the mistake and are going to fix it - as they should.

yowza

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:39 am

In late 1999 I was flying MLE-CMB-DXB-AMS-YYZ. The agent in MLE though tagged my baggage MLE-CMB-DXB-AMS-TOR. It took me about ten minutes to explain to her that The code for Toronto was YYZ and not TOR. She flatly refused to take my advice to just look at the ticket, where it clearly said YYZ... Idiot. Luckily I knew the EK manager and had him come over and talk some sense into her.

YOWza

flanker

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:59 am

lol just what i was thinking.

anyways, good job.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

CO767FA

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 28):
I just hope that all the people here who have posted and yet to post have employees/coworkers at their companies/work place that know every part of their particular work location to the nth degree and to the expectation level an outsider, like us, demand sometimes.

B-I-N-G-O!!!

EWRCabincrew

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 43):
B-I-N-G-O!!!

A lot of people forget that here.
You can't cure stupid

bond007

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 40):
Jeez, get off this guy's case. For a forum that berates the media for showing a picture of the wrong aircraft in an article or getting one minor stat wrong , I would think a sign in OAK for Ryanair would make all your heads explode. For an airport the size and sophistication of OAKLAND to have made such a mistake is pretty egregious.

Beautiful  Smile
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

dw9115

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:38 am

Well I am sure that there are plenty of people that do not know the difference between the airlines and would try booking a flight with Ryanair after seeing it. Also the Oakland Airport Authority might really want to care because they are committing a crime by having that Ryanair logo up with out there permission and can be held liable by Ryanair and any idiot that books a flight with them thinking his Hahn to London flight then continues on to Oakland. That said Ryanair may want some $ for Oakland's airport using there trademarks without there permission.

LHR777

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 35):
You contribute nothing to the thread by just saying "o yes! i can now sleep at night" or "is all you do try to impress gate agents?" etc...

Agreed. I was wrong, I'm sorry. Sad

quit being little bitches and get over yourselves.

But the simple fact is, your wrong and I(we) am right.

....wait a minute! What exactly do your wise words of wisdom contribute??!! Oh, that's right. Nothing.....  Yeah sure

I propose a new thread - When Airline Passengers Just Don't Get It...... sounds catchy to me!  Wink

super80

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:22 am

Yay ! i have an experience with AA...

What If AA Let Me Board Without a VISA

airtran717

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:27 am

As to the concept of who is allowed on or off the aircraft, that is the flight attendant's area of expertise and authority. Yes, it's the captain's plane. But it's MY cabin. But I do submit that all the gate agent needed to do was to say that you should wait for the crew to arrive and ask them then. She was wrong for the double standard there.
Pilots and flight attendants are not trained in the same skill sets. I would never tell a pilot how to fly his plane, nor would I expect, or take kindly, him doing the same to me.
Honestly, the end of the flight is more appropriate for that kind of stuff though. We all have equipment to preflight and they have flight plans to file, etc. Visiting after the plane deboards is more appropriate.