atlflyer

Delta New 9" PTVs In Economy

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:41 am

From Delta.com, Delta's News Release:

"All five of the new 777 aircraft will be delivered with fully horizontal personal sleeper suites in BusinessElite® featuring on-demand in-flight entertainment systems in every suite. Customers flying in Economy class also will enjoy more room and nine-inch personal entertainment screens in every seat back, complementing Delta’s efforts to retrofit its fleet of 777s and more than 100 737-800 and 767-300 aircraft with on-demand, in-seat entertainment at every customer’s seat by the end of 2008."

Great news to hear that Economy will get 9'' PTVs. I wonder if the other 777s and 764s will get these PTVs or if they will get the smaller-domestic version they put on the 757s and will put on the 763s and 738s?

FutureFO

RE: Delta New 9" PTVs In Economy

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:46 am

These will be new screens it says in Y on all 767 and 737 a/c. As well as the 777. They may not want to upgrade the current planes quite yet as the financial situation does not neccessitate swapping the screens quite yet. The 764 and the 777's that are all ready out there may eventually get them.
I Don't know where I am anymore

captaink

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Thread starter):
100 737-800 and 767-300 aircraft with on-demand, in-seat entertainment at every customer’s seat by the end of 2008."

Come again? The 737s? Therefore, only the MD birds will be without PTVs. That is the way to go. AA will loose an Adavntage member as soon as i use up them miles.. Big grin
There is something special about planes....

atlflyer

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:28 am

It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product. Way to go Delta! I wouldn't be surprised to see Continental or United announce something like this soon...

panamair

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 3):
It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product. Way to go Delta!

Just pray that US doesn't get its hands on DL...otherwise you can kiss goodbye to these enhancements - Parker views this as a transportation business with no bells and whistles - just the lowest fares for the lowest common denominator....

freedom747

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 am

Since day one, DL has always been a Class Act, baby!!

AA737-823

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:25 am

It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product.

Uh, I think you mean it's nice to see DELTA actually competing with product... considering Continental (for example, as my favorite airline) is flying 767-224s internationally with Boeing Signature interiors (no one else is), has PTV's in coach on their 764s (Delta didn't) is working on AVOD in coach on 757s soon (is Delta's PTV system going to be AVOD? I haven't heard) and still serves meals at mealtimes.

Oh, and have I mentioned that Continental even offers pillows and blankets for FREE? AA doesn't on MD-80s, and NW doesn't know what a pillow even looks like.

Oh, and Conti has laptop power at many seats, and audio entertainment at all seats on most aircraft. NW does have ANY of those things. And AA's biggest fleet (S80) doesn't have audio, either.

So, in short, there HAS been a US carrier out there competing by product, and that is Continental Airlines.

Continental Airlines. Other airlines fly all over the world. They just don't land in as many places.

panamair

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 6):
(is Delta's PTV system going to be AVOD? I haven't heard)

Yes

has PTV's in coach on their 764s (Delta didn't)

They're coming.

captaink

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:41 am

Doesnt CO have PTVs in their 762s as well, or is that understood by Boeing Signature Interior?

Aloha717200

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 am

This is really good news for Delta's in-flight product, which I feel has been lacking for quite some time.

jdj

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:27 am

wow, this has ended up being an unproductive day for me with DL news coming from every direction- 772LR, 737 and now this.

EFHK

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:46 am

It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product. Way to go Delta!

checkmark 

But after IFE, I'm still missing the food...
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

deltagator

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting EFHK (Reply 11):

Dear God, nobody is ever satisfied.  sarcastic 

Hell, I've flown steerage, business, and first on many carriers and you know what...the food sucks on all of them. I'd rather bring me own even on someone like Singapore or Virgin. I know I could do better and would just need to nuke it for warmth.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Continental123

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Thread starter):
737-800 and 767-300 aircraft with on-demand, in-seat entertainment at every customer’s seat

This is great news considering that during the summer FLL-LAX is operated by a 738. Too bad it isn't happening sooner. The aircraft used on that route will probably get PTVs sooner.

AA737-823

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting EFHK (Reply 11):

Ooooh, see my first reply!!!  Smile

Quoting Captaink (Reply 8):
Doesnt CO have PTVs in their 762s as well, or is that understood by Boeing Signature Interior?

Yes, Conti does have ptv's in coach in 762s.

Quoting Panamair (Reply 7):
They're coming.

Yes, but for the time being, Continental is YEARS (better part of a decade, actually) ahead in... PRODUCT OFFERED.

I had no intention of turning my post into a Delta bashing, Continental cheerleading write up, even though that's what I ended up doing. Apologies for that.
It just seems to me that Delta is announcing competitive products a bit late.
BUT, I am super-glad for the fact that they are about to exit bankruptcy. Better to still exist without PTV's than go all the way down because of them.
I am also glad that the latest rumor is that US is backing away... that was a bad idea, in my book.

ikramerica

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
Hell, I've flown steerage, business, and first on many carriers and you know what...the food sucks on all of them.

Fly QANTAS. Food is good to excellent, full meal on even 1:20 duration flights SYD-MEL.

Dismissing service levels just because DL doesn't want to offer them is pretty lame. Good job on the IFE (2 years to roll out is kind of excessive), but they need to do more than TV sets to improve their service levels back to what they once were...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

EFHK

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
Dear God, nobody is ever satisfied.

I'm really satisfied with this IFE introduction, I'm just used to the Finnish (AY) style in-flight service, which unfortunately doesn't have nearly as good IFE as Delta will have, but food is served.

To me the meal is an important part of the flight, and no, I don't think the food sucks.  Smile

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 14):
Ooooh, see my first reply!!!

Frankly, I'm positively surprised that any U.S. carrier serves meals!

But one must remember, CO was in the same position (exiting bankruptcy) already a few years ago where DL is now, so naturally they're a bit behind.  Wink

But still, DL is my first choice to fly in the U.S., my family has a good amount of SkyMiles.  Wink So I welcome these product enhancements! Big grin
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

avconsultant

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:11 am

It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product. Way to go Delta! I wouldn't be surprised to see Continental or United announce something like this soon...

Hotels have been doing this for years. How many times have you heard "we've got better mattresses and shower heads". Never thought I'd see the day someones marketing would include who had better showerheads.

Quoting Panamair (Reply 4):
Just pray that US doesn't get its hands on DL...otherwise you can kiss goodbye to these enhancements - Parker views this as a transportation business with no bells and whistles - just the lowest fares for the lowest common denominator....

He's offering the the unsecured creditors a great payback in a short amount of time. The DAL plan is losing supporters, Lehman and Duetsch Bank. Parker is wheeling and dealing with AmEx and GECAS.

OttoPylit

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 17):
He's offering the the unsecured creditors a great payback in a short amount of time.

Or they could wait until next spring and get an even greater payback, since the emerging Delta will be worth more than the $8 billion offered by US.

The DAL plan is losing supporters, Lehman and Duetsch Bank.

You a betting man? They are about the only ones showing any interest in Parker's plan, but can't say anything yet, being that Delta's reorganization plan isn't even filed yet. Not wise for them to make calls from a clouded crystal ball.

Parker is wheeling and dealing with AmEx and GECAS.

Proof? I'm not sure what he's got with GECAS, but AMEX has privately made it pretty clear that unless Delta's reorganization plan is severely flawed from their standpoint, they are sticking with Delta. They would stand to lose A LOT if they didn't.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

avconsultant

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 18):
AMEX has privately made it pretty clear that unless Delta's reorganization plan is severely flawed from their standpoint, they are sticking with Delta

AMEX is VERY desparate to clear there books. They're an aggressie company. They have reduced member perks on a number of marketing agreements. This BK bit them harder than expected. They're losing marketshare given MasterCard coming at them strong.

atlflyer

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:18 am

Uh, I think you mean it's nice to see DELTA actually competing with product... considering Continental (for example, as my favorite airline) is flying 767-224s internationally with Boeing Signature interiors (no one else is), has PTV's in coach on their 764s (Delta didn't) is working on AVOD in coach on 757s soon (is Delta's PTV system going to be AVOD? I haven't heard) and still serves meals at mealtimes.

Oh, and have I mentioned that Continental even offers pillows and blankets for FREE? AA doesn't on MD-80s, and NW doesn't know what a pillow even looks like.

Oh, and Conti has laptop power at many seats, and audio entertainment at all seats on most aircraft. NW does have ANY of those things. And AA's biggest fleet (S80) doesn't have audio, either.

So, in short, there HAS been a US carrier out there competing by product, and that is Continental Airlines.

Continental Airlines. Other airlines fly all over the world. They just don't land in as many places.

Yeah...I know. I didn't say Continental doesn't compete with product. No need to go on and on about Continental. They are a great airline and definitely one of my favorites. However, Delta's PTVs will all be AVOD by the end of 2008 and I am sure when they order 787s to replace the 767-300ERs they will have AVOD too.

I hope Continental puts in 9'' screens too! That would be awseome...and I know their 787s are going to rock. It is great to have multiple airlines with a good product!

AA737-823

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 20):
I hope Continental puts in 9'' screens too!

We can dream, can't we?

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 20):
It is great to have multiple airlines with a good product!

Agreed. Gosh, I got bumped to first on an ANC-SEA-IAH run this summer, and it was like, "Oh, wow... THIS is how flying should be." I wish all the airlines would offer food like the used to, and continue updating IFE and other amenities, rather than walking backward. The whole "$5 for pillow and blanket" is a slap in the face of air travel as it's been for 80+ years. Coach shouldn't offer first class service, sure, but I wish it was as nice as it once was.

I understand there's a large number of passengers that would forego their seat belts if it saved them $2.50, but for many of us... gosh, bring back nice air travel! Leave the rest to Southwest, who DOES fill a high-demand market. I didn't word that very well, but I think you can pick up what I'm throwing down.

kjet12

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:23 am

and NW doesn't know what a pillow even looks like.

On all of my recent NW flights, there have been pillows and blankets available, even between MDW and MSP. Most of the time you have to look in the overhead bin or just ask the flight attendant.
AA - Doing what we do best.

Zone1

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 19):
They're losing marketshare given MasterCard coming at them strong.

Huh? They have had extremely strong new cardmember numbers for a while now. Amex is firing on all four cylinders.
/// U N I T E D

Vasu

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:47 am

Way to go, DELTA!

As long as you refit those intl 767-300s quickly, I'll be happy!

jacobin777

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting EFHK (Reply 16):
Frankly, I'm positively surprised that any U.S. carrier serves meals!

CO have their own catering services..which helps quite a bit.. Smile
"Up the Irons!"

Evan767

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:58 pm

Can someone give me the exact months as to when the 738's and 763's will be refitted?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

A330323X

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:15 pm

It is so nice to see an American carrier actually competing with product.

Quoting Panamair (Reply 4):
Just pray that US doesn't get its hands on DL...otherwise you can kiss goodbye to these enhancements

Yeah, that US Airways and its crappy transatlantic coach product.  Yeah sure

Oh wait, my bad, it's actually the best transatlantic coach product of any airline, with 33-34" seat pitch and Sony P@ssport AVOD at every seat in coach, along with power ports at every seat in coach, on the Airbus 330 aircraft, and it's been that way since the aircraft were introduced in 2000. It's the other airlines that have been playing catchup.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Boston92

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:32 pm

Does anyone know when the ex song routes now being utilized with a 738 will have the PTV's. Specifically the LAX-BDL/BOS route. Thanks.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

edds

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:59 pm

I just flew ATL-STR on Delta. I was very surprised. Delta already improved their service. Now they offered ice cream (between lunch and snack), free wine for lunch, free earplugs, free eye-mask and an amenity bag if you wished. On my last flight back in March with DL this year, they didn't offer any of those.

I don't know why everybody thinks that CO has such a good product. I flew OMA-EWR-HAM this April. I didn't really liked the transatlantic flight service, broken monitor, soso food and less beverage service than on my UA/LH and DL flights. But i have to admit, the domestic product was quite good, we got lunch service on the 3:00h flight from EWR to OMA.

panamair

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 27):
Yeah, that US Airways and its crappy transatlantic coach product.

Oh wait, my bad, it's actually the best transatlantic coach product of any airline, with 33-34" seat pitch and Sony P@ssport AVOD at every seat in coach, along with power ports at every seat in coach, on the Airbus 330 aircraft, and it's been that way since the aircraft were introduced in 2000. It's the other airlines that have been playing catchup.

However, that "best transatlantic coach product", which is only availabe on the A330s, is a legacy of the Old Original US Airways, not the America West part of US Airways. And as everyone has taken pains to point out, it's the old America West part of US Airways that is running the show now and wants to run the abomination called the "New Delta". The management team from US West has hardly lifted a finger since the merger to improve the US product and has shown no inclination to do much more.

In a recent Joe Brancatelli article, various US reps have been quoted as saying that US is busy transforming itself into a 'discounted economy airline' and that US was trying to "be a Costco whlie all the other airlines were trying to be a Nordstrom's". That is the management philosophy of Parker and Kirby and that is what will likely happen at the "New Delta" if these guys have their way; this will just about undo all the customer service improvements that Whitehurst and Joanne Smith's teams have rolled out so far.

BN727

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:36 pm

You all act as though this is a new and great idea thought up by Delta. Jetblue has been doing this for almost 7 years now. Frontier Airlines for almost 5 years..Delta can't do anything original. I'll stick with flying friendlier non legacy carriers.

floridaflyboy

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:02 am

Continental (for example, as my favorite airline) is flying 767-224s internationally with Boeing Signature interiors (no one else is),

Ummh, this is because CO's 762 aircraft are new. The other airlines would have to retrofit 762's with the signature interior, while CO's birds were delivered with it already installed. If their 762's were old like everyone else, I guarantee they would still be sporting the old interior.
Good goes around!

MCOflyer

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:10 am

Good to hear this. I'll start to fly DL more often when this happens.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

UN_B732

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:13 am

Are the interational 763s finally getting personal IFE?
What now?

EWRCabincrew

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 32):
If their 762's were old like everyone else, I guarantee they would still be sporting the old interior.

But thankfully they aren't and don't be so sure about that sporting. We have changed our interiors on other aircraft to get better overhead bins and new seats, along with the fact we are upgrading entertainment in aircraft like the 757. So that statement is purley hypothetical and speculative. The truth remains, we have the Boeing Signature interior.
You can't cure stupid

AA737-823

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 32):
The other airlines would have to retrofit 762's with the signature interior,

God forbid. And you entirely ignore that Delta's 767-432s and Continental's 767-424s were delivered simultaneously. Yet Delta's 764s had no PTVs, and still don't... yet.

American is redoing THEIR older 767s..... slowly, so why shouldn't Delta?

Next???

AA767400

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 21):
The whole "$5 for pillow and blanket" is a slap in the face of air travel as it's been for 80+ years. Coach shouldn't offer first class service, sure, but I wish it was as nice as it once was

Are we in 1986? With $89 fares there is no money for improvement. And let's face it, we need some serious consolidation in this industry because there are too many broke players on the field.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 35):
The truth remains, we have the Boeing Signature interior.

Because you were delivered with it. Sure you can add a new panel here and there, or a new rug. But, If you had not had these planes new, you too would have the same old interiors that all else do.
"The low fares airline."

EWRCabincrew

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 37):
But, If you had not had these planes new, you too would have the same old interiors that all else do.

Possibly, no one will ever know.

- add specualtions here -
You can't cure stupid

captaink

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 am

My biggest problem is that fares aren't exactly cheaper. In my youth, (I am not old, that is just to tell you how drastic and quick the change for the worse was) I remember flying and smelling the food being warmed up in the galley. FA's handing out blankets, sometimes they ran out but usually there were enough pillows for everyone. It was really a basic service nothing exceptionally special. Now it is. Now you have to fold up your sweater and use it as a pillow. Now you have pull out your burger cause you are dyiing of hunger and the famous pretzels aren't working. But now more than ever I find that fares are high. Somethings gotta give. Maybe IFE is just that, at least you paying for something.

Question? How expensive is it to offer PTVs? Does it work out to be a lot cheaper than upgrades to service ie, pillows, blanket and a little something eat?

[Edited 2006-12-08 19:23:46]

A330323X

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 30):
However, that "best transatlantic coach product", which is only availabe on the A330s, is a legacy of the Old Original US Airways, not the America West part of US Airways.

Right...but they haven't exactly ripped out the PTVs, have they? Yet you say they would with the ones on the DL birds. Curious.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:42 am

With DL's new seats, I hope CO takes note and does soemthing to keep up with the rest of the pack.

Can't wait to see what DL has to unveil.
You can't cure stupid

floridaflyboy

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 36):
Delta's 767-432s and Continental's 767-424s were delivered simultaneously. Yet Delta's 764s had no PTVs, and still don't... yet.

That is because CO intended to use their 764 aircraft on international routes from the get-go, while DL originally intended theirs only for domestic. I am simply playing devil's advocate here. I think CO is a fine airline as well as DL.
Good goes around!

Werkur767

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:05 am

Bondholders of Delta Air may influence USAir's takeover Bid

An informal committee could play an important role as US Airways seeks to persuade Delta's creditors to support its $8.6 billion offer to acquire Delta out bankruptcy.

Werner Kurpjuweit  airplane   airplane 
Werkurspotter

tonytifao

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:28 am

Go Delta.

I'm impressed by Delta. They are expanding, improving, enhancing.

Way to go!

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Finally ! A reasonably Y product for DL long-haul, it's about time. Will they be upgrading the current "Battleship Potemkin"-look interiors on the 763s as well ? I hope so. DL NCE-JFK is very convenient, but the experience is pretty average at the moment. Looking forward to the improvements.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers