nema

Another Name Change For East Midland Airport

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:29 pm

I always thought that 'East Midlands Airport' was fine as an airport name. The often used name years ago, 'Donnington', was far less useful for overseas travellers to account for where it was.

Then in 2004 it was changed to 'Nottingham East Midlands Airport' which is where i took my nickname from (NEMA)

And now...... they are changing it again, but this surely is not good..

In an announcement this morning I was told the new name would be, wait for it....

and i quote...

With immediate effect the Airport will be known as:

'East Midlands Airport Nottingham, Leicester, Derby'

Please a.netters tell me, are we going to have the longest airport name in the world for our local airport? Maybe this will be our claim to fame!

Please tell me someone is having a laugh, if for no other reason this wont quite fit on to departure boards.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

bhxdtw

RE: Another Name Change For East Midland Airport

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:58 pm

From the website it actually looks like the name is changing to simply East midlands Airport with Nottingham * Leicester * Derby underneath the main name..
That having been said thats only the way its arranged on screen... the way its refered to could be as you say East Midlands Airport Nottingham Leicester Derby....

hence why I just prefer good ol' Birmingham Airport..  Wink

http://www.nottinghamema.com

HUYguy

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm

What is up with all these long names for airports? Another one in that area is Robin Hood Doncaster/Sheffield Airport, which I thought was long until I saw that one. I actually preferred calling it Nottingham East Midlands Airport. They should just settle on one city name.

ZBA320

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Another completely pointless name. Nottingham East Midlands is fine. East Midlands is fine. East Midlands Derby Leicester Nottingham is not fine. It's just far too long.

They can't really call it one name because it's close too 3 major cities. Derby is the closest with Nottingham a few miles further but Nottingham is a much bigger city than Derby. However Leicester is a much bigger city with it only been roughly 15 miles south.

Personally I think it should stay as East Midlands.  Smile
An Engineer made a bet that a 747 Gear wouldn't retract in a Hangar. He lost the bet.

jamman

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:18 pm

I don't think they would honestly expect people to call the airport 'East Midlands Airport Derby Leicester Nottingham'.
I think in time it will be refered to as 'East Midlands Airport', I think the city names are there just for the sake of advertising to remind people where the airport is near in adverts etc.
Even now on their website there are some links and articles that just refer to 'East Midlands Airport'.
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

ANother

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting NEMA (Thread starter):
East Midlands Airport Nottingham, Leicester, Derby

Not only is it non-informative for non-Brits, I would suspect that a large proportion of the world's population couldn't pronounce the last two cities, the way that the Brits do.

emalad

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 pm

What a shambles this all is!

Why on earth we had to change the name to include Nottingham in the first place is beyond me! And it didn't even work.

Just call it East Midland's Airport and be done with it. It has done more damage for the airport than good!

FlyingColours

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 1):
From the website it actually looks like the name is changing to simply East midlands Airport with Nottingham * Leicester * Derby underneath the main name..

I agree.

I always used to call it "East Midlands Airport" on the PA and nobody would notice but say "flight to Lanzerote" instead of ACE and 30 callbells go off..... I digress.

EMA is best but NEMA isn't too bad. Robin Hood is awful as is John Lennon for LPL, we all know in 30 years it will be somthing else..... still could be worse
Manchester Ringway Peter Kay International Airport  Wink

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Revelation

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 4):
I think the city names are there just for the sake of advertising to remind people where the airport is near in adverts etc.

In this case, I can't help but wonder if the politicians in Leicester and Derby had something to do with this. If not that, then someone should investigate why they keep spending money messing about with the name. What will it be next year?

Let's face it: if you need to get to that part of the UK, you will learn the name of the airport. If you don't, they might as well call it East Midlands Rats Testicles Airport, that would at least grab your attention for a second or two.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

jamman

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
Rats Testicles Airport

Ahh you heard about their speciality in the airport restaurant?  Wink
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

BigOrange

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:38 am

I guess it's coming up to the end of the tax year, and what better way to offset some losses than make up a new name and spend a whole load of money re-doing their stationery, signage etc.

I'm sure we'll soon have Manchester North West Regional Airport, followed by Bournemouth, Poole, South Coast Beaches Airport

EWRCabincrew

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:17 am

Why doesn't a company adopt the airport.

Like Walker's Crisps East Midlands Airport. East Midlands Airport...brought to you by Tesco. Welcome to PG Tips East Midland Nottingham International Airport.
You can't cure stupid

ZBA320

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:31 am

Thought naming airports after companies/people was now banned in the UK by the CAA.

I heard something similar soon after Belfast City was renamed George Best Belfast City Airport.
An Engineer made a bet that a 747 Gear wouldn't retract in a Hangar. He lost the bet.

sunshine79

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:37 am

This reminds me of Durham Tees Valley Airport, which used to be named Teesside Airport. All the road signs still say Teesside Airport, even though the name changed a couple of years ago. A majority of people get lost trying to find the airport. Everyone in the North-East still calls it Teesside, and I think they always will.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

FlyingColours

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting ZBA320 (Reply 12):

True in part, publically the airport can be called anywathing but on navigation documentation (charts, paperwork etc...) the airport has to use its geographical name.

I think they should stop naming airports here since they can't do it propery  Wink

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

emalad

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:44 am

It will always be called East Midlands Airport by everyone in the East Midlands.
What surprises me is that it hasn't included Lincoln or Northampton, which is technically classed as East Midlands on our local news, lol.

It is about time that the airport went back to EMA as adding this Nottingham bussines was a total waste of time and money. Common sense has prevailed!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos