AirBuffalo
Topic Author

Concorde Schedules & LiveAid

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:20 am

For a stunt in the Live Aid concert of 1985 (charity concert held simultaneously in UK and US, with a few other venues), Phil Collins performed in both London and Philadelphia during the same concert by flying across the pond on the Concord.

My question ... did he take a regularly-scheduled Concorde flight or was it chartered?

The question comes down to: What the BA Concorde schedule in July, 1985?

Details:
1) His performance at Wembley Stadium was done by 1450Z (3:50pm British Summer time in London).
2) He was playing drums in Philly by 2339Z (7:39pm EDT Philly time).

Assume that he took a helicopter from Wembley to LHR and from JFK to Philadelphia.

9 hours seems like plenty of time to do it. An article even mentions: "on the flight, Phil bumped into Cher, who didn't know anything about the transatlantic events." That definately suggests that it was the scheduled flavor of flight.

For a bit more about the events, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liveaid

And ... as a challenge to the event's altruism, who paid for the $20k flight?  Smile

BS

pwm2txlhopper

RE: Concorde Schedules & LiveAid

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting AirBuffalo (Thread starter):
My question ... did he take a regularly-scheduled Concorde flight or was it chartered?

Well, he flew into PHL, and there has never been any regularly scheduled Concorde flights between LHR and PHL with BA. So I'd say it was definately a charter.

[Edited 2006-12-09 07:57:43]

4holer

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting AirBuffalo (Thread starter):
Assume that he took a helicopter from Wembley to LHR and from JFK to Philadelphia.

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 1):
Well, he flew into PHL, and there has never been any regularly scheduled Concorde flights between LHR and PHL with BA. So I'd say it was definately a charter.

He what?

I'm pretty sure he took a scheduled flight.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

StarGoldLHR

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Back then, there was 2 concorde flights a day.
He would have taken BA 003 : dep LHR 19:30 arrive JFK at 18:25 loads of time to get to Philly.
If I recall correctly... the flight was also running late on the day.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 2):

He what?

I'm pretty sure he took a scheduled flight.

And you're right. I was wrong! I thought I recalled him chartering the Concorde and flying directly to PHL, but I guess I am mistaken! My apologies!

AirBuffalo
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:05 am

Very interesting. Thanks. I couldn't imagine that they chartered it ... tough to justify the few hundred thousand pounds for a "charity" stunt!

XXXX10

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:45 pm

In those days the schedule was BA195 it was changed to BA3 (i think) about a year later.

The Live Aid DVD has some footage and you can hear them call "Speedbird Concorde 195"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos