remcor

Do Aircraft Come With Free Shipping And Handling?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Ok, I phrased it flippantly, but is an aircraft purchase from say, Boeing or Airbus, FOB origin or FOB destination? Does the airline have to fly some pilots over to Boeing to pick up the keys, fill out the paperwork and fly her home, or is delivery to the destination airport sometimes part of the deal?

AirTranTUS

RE: Do Aircraft Come With Free Shipping And Handling?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:27 pm

I remember hearing on TV that when WN receives a new jet, instead of doing a test flight by company pilots, they take the plane and the free tank of gas back to DAL. Some employees are also along for the ride. What I heard said that WN does this because they know the capabilities of the aircraft they are receiving. They do have a few.

Maybe OPNLguy can back this up?
I love ASO!

jjbiv

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Certainly almost always FOB origin.

Joe

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting Remcor (Thread starter):
Does the airline have to fly some pilots over to Boeing to pick up the keys, fill out the paperwork and fly her home

From what I understand, that's exactly what happens.

jetdeltamsy

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm sure the multi-millioin dollar price tax is "upon delivery".

[Edited 2006-12-10 06:03:24]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

acidradio
Crew

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:51 pm

At least with Bombardier, the aircraft are delivered FOB Montreal. I spoke with some 9E pilots who went to YUL to pick up brand new CRJ's from the factory. Apparently they have a delivery center, which processes all the necessary paperwork and even has flight releases ready for the pilots. Bombardier even throws in a full tank of fuel and caters the galley with meals and Coca-Cola beverages for the pilots. The pilots I spoke with flew from YUL to MEM (9E's headquarters) and had to also declare the aircraft to customs. The Bombardier delivery center also furnished the pilots with all the necessary paperwork to declare the airplane to US Customs.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

VonRichtofen

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:32 pm

What about a completely new aircraft type for the airline?

anax

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:41 pm

no its FOB. the plane leaves the factory under the company's country registration. pilots fly there , check the plane if it is according to the specifications of the contract , pick up the keys , sign the papers and fly back home.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 6):
What about a completely new aircraft type for the airline?

if it is a new type for the airline , then the airline sends pilots much in advance for the initial training at the manufacturers traning center , Toulouse for Airbus , and Seattle for Boeing , so when it is time to deliver the aircraft , company's pilots are familiar with it.
god is a spotter!!!

andz

Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:22 pm

FOB origin or FOB destination

Quoting Jjbiv (Reply 2):
always FOB origin.

Quoting Acidradio (Reply 5):
FOB Montreal

Quoting Anax (Reply 7):
its FOB

First of all, according to the Incoterms 2000 standards, FOB only applies to goods transported by sea or inland waterway. If the airline collects the aircraft at the factory and is responsible for getting it home, it is ex-works (EXW).

http://www.ltdmgmt.com/incoterms.htm
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

jetstar

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:56 pm

From what I have read, all the airlines that have Boeing jets in production have their own company personnel on site. All Boeing airplanes are test flown by Boeing company pilots with the airline reps on board. In the case of the B-737, after the test flight or flights, the airplane, which is built in Renton is flown to the paint facility at Boeing Field for painting and then turned over to the airline. Wide body Boeings are all test flown and painted in Everett. Either way the airplane ownership is transferred to the airline in the State of Washington after the final payment is received by Boeing and flown out by the airlines pilots.

On Southwest Airlines web site early this year they had a weekly pictorial on the birth on one of their 737’s from initial cutting of the metal to final delivery. The only test flight took off from Renton and landed at Boeing Field.

Some corporate biz jets are flown by the manufacturer to a different state where the paperwork is signed for and ownership transferred to avoid local sales taxes, I believe Gulfstream does this to avoid the Georgia state sales tax.

In Connecticut there is a state law that exempts any instate aircraft manufacturer, i.e. Sikorsky from charging state sales taxes on aircraft picked up in state.

I would assume the state of Washington has a similar law exempting Boeing from the state sales tax on aircraft sold to US based airlines.

Also some biz jets are built in one state and flown to another state where the interior is installed. All Falcon jets are built in France and flown to Little Rock Arkansas for the interior, avionics and paint. All large Challenger biz jets are built in Canada and at one time some of the interiors were installed in Wichita Kansas or Tucson Arizona. Then the airplane is flown to another state or country by the manufacturer for transfer of ownership to avoid the sales tax on the added work. For US deliveries, most times the state is Delaware because they do not have a state sales tax and almost all large US corporations are incorporated in Delaware.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
I remember hearing on TV that when WN receives a new jet, instead of doing a test flight by company pilots, they take the plane and the free tank of gas back to DAL. Some employees are also along for the ride. What I heard said that WN does this because they know the capabilities of the aircraft they are receiving. They do have a few.

Ok, I phrased it flippantly, but is an aircraft purchase from say, Boeing or Airbus, FOB origin or FOB destination? Does the airline have to fly some pilots over to Boeing to pick up the keys, fill out the paperwork and fly her home, or is delivery to the destination airport sometimes part of the deal?

One or two company (manufacture) test flights are followed by a customer acceptance flight. After the customer acceptance flight delivery is made. Actual delivery method will very between manufactures and customers, but customer crews are used for the delivery flight.

By the way there are "NO KEYS".

dutchjet

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:53 am

And I thought that your next question would be.......is there a 30 exchange or money back period?

-------------

All kidding aside, is there a typical ""guaranty"" period for an airplane during which the manufacturer will fix problems and defects.....similiar to what is offered on an automobile? This is a question that I always wanted to ask.

RaginMav

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Acidradio (Reply 5):
and had to also declare the aircraft to customs

wow I can just imagine that:

Customs agent: "Sir, do you have any items from Canada to declare?"

Captain: "well, I have this snowglobe for my wife, this t-shirt from the Hard Rock for my daughter, and um... there was something else.... OH! this CRJ we just got out of."

andz

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 11):
is there a typical ""guaranty"" period for an airplane during which the manufacturer will fix problems and defects

A couple of months ago I flew on a new Q400 here and there was an engineer on board, we got chatting during the flight and he said that he was just flying about with the plane during a 3 week shakedown as part of the deal with SA Express.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

wingnut767

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 11):
All kidding aside, is there a typical ""guaranty"" period for an airplane during which the manufacturer will fix problems and defects.....similiar to what is offered on an automobile? This is a question that I always wanted to ask.

Yes aircraft are warrantied. Usually for a year. Some Airlines put a warranty sticker on the log book so the Mech's will know. The parts replaced on the warrantied bird are handled differently.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

zvezda

RE: Do Aircraft Come With Free Shipping And Handli

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:06 am

Assuming it is a routine delivery and not a new type, the usual procedure goes about like this (varies a bit from airline to airline):
About four or five days before delivery, a test pilot, a QA engineer, and a junior executive arrive at Seattle, Toulouse, or Finkenwerder. The QA engineer observes and checks things while the airline's test pilot (in command) and a manufacturer's test pilot put the plane through a static power up, a high-speed taxi test, and then a flight test. One or more of these tests may be repeated if there are problems. Once all these tests are completed, the airline team compiles a list of all the problems found (typically dozens, many of which are minor) and then they sit down with the manufacturer and negotiate consessions. Once the concessions are agreed, they sign for the plane. A day or two before the expected delivery date, a second airline test pilot flies in and may observe the negotiations. Then the two test pilots fly the plane home with the QA engineer and executive as passengers. Sometimes one or two instructor pilots travel with the second test pilot and go along for the ride.

Been there, done that. Big grin

zanl188

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 9):
In the case of the B-737, after the test flight or flights, the airplane, which is built in Renton is flown to the paint facility at Boeing Field for painting and then turned over to the airline.

Not necessarily, Boeing has paint hangars at Renton. Some 737s get paint before first flight, some after they get to BFI.

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 9):
Either way the airplane ownership is transferred to the airline in the State of Washington after the final payment is received by Boeing and flown out by the airlines pilots.

Not necessarily. I've seen Boeing do deliveries at Vancouver Canada & Frankfurt Germany. Usually done for tax & or political reasons.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:26 am

My question (that I always wanted to ask) is about how the engines'delivery is handled. As I understand it, the airline buys the engines directly from GE, RR, PW, whatever, and has it delivered to the airframe mannufacturer (Boeing, Aribus, whatever).

Is the acceptance/payment for the engines final when they are shipped to the airframe mannufacturer or when the customer test flights and takes delivery of the plane.

Are there any engine reps on the test flights or final aircraft acceptance?

Thanks.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

zvezda

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 17):
Are there any engine reps on the test flights or final aircraft acceptance?

There were when I did it, not onboard the test flights, but present on the ground.

PanHAM

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
and is responsible for getting it home, it is ex-works (EXW).

exactly, and at which time, final payment is initiated. When the wheels leave the runway, the money flows from the buyers account to the aircraft manufacturers account.
powered by Eierlikör

jjbiv

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
First of all, according to the Incoterms 2000 standards, FOB only applies to goods transported by sea or inland waterway. If the airline collects the aircraft at the factory and is responsible for getting it home, it is ex-works (EXW).

Firstly, when you quoted me you took the liberty of quoting less than the full sentence I wrote without using ellipses to indicate material was missing. This gives the impression that I wrote an absolute statement, something I go to great lengths never to do  Wink

Secondly, formal usage of Incoterms internationally is often different from their common domestic usage within the U.S. FOB (often incorrectly thought to mean Freight On Board, incidentally) is routinely used to describe transactions that will never see a water-going vessel.

Thirdly, EXW implies that the buyer facilitates the Customs export process. This may indeed be the case with respect to commercial aircraft, but, if so, it is otherwise a very rare practice; the seller almost always bears responsibility to export the goods from the country of manufacture, resulting in the Incoterm FCA.

Joe

PanHAM

RE: Do Aircraft Come With Free Shipping And Handli

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Jjbiv (Reply 20):

Secondly, formal usage of Incoterms internationally is often different from their common domestic usage within the U.S. FOB (often incorrectly thought to mean Freight On Board, incidentally) is routinely used to describe transactions that will never see a water-going vessel.

Thirdly, EXW implies that the buyer facilitates the Customs export process. This may indeed be the case with respect to commercial aircraft, but, if so, it is otherwise a very rare practice; the seller almost always bears responsibility to export the goods from the country of manufacture, resulting in the Incoterm FCA.

The INCOTERMS are valid worldwide. If, for domestic shipping in the US, the incorrect term FOB factory is often used, we should not care.

Next, the customs formalities vary from country to country. EXW in Germany always means, that the seller has to issue and pre-clear the export declaration and statistic form. The buyer cannot do this, by customs regulation. The seller has included these (minor - it is less than € 100,00) costs in his selling price, regardless if it is a machine worth € 1000,00 or an aircraft.

Let's assume Airbus ships a 319 ex XFW, the Incoterm will be EXW, customs will have stamped the statistic form presented by Airbus, the a/c will lift off and no further delivery charges apply.

FCA however is not appölicable, as the place of exportation is the factory of the seller. There is no inland transportation to a port of shipment.,

A full load of Kerosene may be on the house for a good customer.