EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Silverjet Announces World's First Private Terminal

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:13 am

Silverjet and London Luton Airport sign ground-breaking deal to create fastest check-in, security and boarding process.

Silverjet, the first British airline to offer a low fare, exclusively business class transatlantic service today announces a deal with London Luton airport to build a separate terminal experience, modelled on a private jet facility, which will take all 100 passengers from arrival to aircraft within 30 minutes.

The first British airline to go carbon neutral will offer the first private terminal for an intercontinental commercial passenger airline, with its own security, operating between London Luton Airport and New York Newark airport from January 2007.

Silverjet has responded to the desires of international passengers for long haul flights to arrive at the airport and board the aircraft in the shortest time possible. Two years of consumer research revealed that that aside from delays, passengers' biggest gripe is the time taken to check-in, lengthy security checks, immigration and boarding experience, which frequently take over two hours.

There are no check-in desks at this dedicated private terminal facility; passengers drop their luggage with a concierge on arrival and relax at the 'Silver Lounge', where 'Seat Side' check-in will take place if customers have not already checked in beforehand via internet or telephone.

Martyn Bridger, Silverjet’s Customer Experience Director commented:

"In my 25 years of premium airline experience, I now have the opportunity to address a key issue that frequently frustrates customers: the queues and often lengthy delays at check-in."

Lawrence Hunt, CEO Silverjet adds:

"London Luton Airport is the only airport which recognises that customers want to be treated with respect and dignity, especially when they are buying a superior, premium service. We’ve created an integrated, seamless, truly fast track experience which is calming, relaxing and purges all the stress of boarding the aircraft. Airports like Heathrow and JFK in New York have become too big and too congested to cope with passenger volumes."

Take off 25 January 2007. Booking now at www.flysilverjet.com (with special launch fares from £799 return).

http://www.flysilverjet.com/Website/Press_release_2006_12_04.aspx
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

DfwRevolution

RE: Silverjet Announces World's First Private Terminal

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:20 am

As a side note, Legend Airlines built their own private terminal at DAL in 1998. Although that wasn't an intercontinental service, it is noteworthy. The terminal cost were among the reasons cited for Legend's failure  Sad

Let's hope Silverjet achieves success!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jay Davis
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

PiedmontINT

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am

Off topic sorta, but what are the humps on the top of the fusalage right around the "E" in Legend?

DfwRevolution

RE: Silverjet Announces World's First Private Term

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 am

Satellite television antenna. Legend actually had live in-seat television before any airline, including jetBlue.

centrair

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Thread starter):
Airports like Heathrow and JFK in New York have become too big and too congested to cope with passenger volumes."

Yet they fly to EWR...
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

graphic

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:03 am

Denver Ports of Call had their own terminal at the old Stapleton as well.
Demand Media fails at life

planesailing

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Is this not a massive risk they are taking?

Although no financial figures are released, this terminal will not come cheap. In addition, they have just paid out for Flyjet.

Add this to their inital startup costs, and its getting quite considerable.

I know they require all these to set up their unique selling point and establish their brand identity.

However, Eos is only running at 65% load (according to their website) and Maxjet has lost senior executives (sparking rumors of trouble), it is a far from assured market, and a niche at that.

Good luck, but I cant see the future being very bright in the short term.

PhilV

RE: Silverjet Announces World's First Private Term

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Interesting.

The demand for a unique service prior to the fligtht seems to rise.

Just look at the first Class Terminal of LH at FRA. http://www.edeltag.de/magazin/publis...13050705-lufthansa_first_class.php

There, you have your own Limousine service that picks you up and gets you to the aircraft. (Mecedes S or Porsche Cayenne)  Big grin

qqflyboy

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 1):
Legend Airlines built their own private terminal at DAL in 1998

That was my very first thought when I read, "world's first...." It's too bad Legend couldn't make a go at it... the product was inventive, ground breaking and fresh. I never flew them but I looked at pix of the interior wantingly.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

WJ

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 8):
That was my very first thought when I read, "world's first...." It's too bad Legend couldn't make a go at it... the product was inventive, ground breaking and fresh. I never flew them but I looked at pix of the interior wantingly.

As a former LC employee, it was like nothing else. The Terminal was a big investment but if you are going to try and be first you are going to have to take risks and do things the others haven't. So good luck to them.
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

SkyexRamper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:06 am

Title is miss leading as I believe Etihad has already started construction on their massive terminal/lounge.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

EBBR

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 pm

Look at Qatar Airways. They build the first First and Business Class terminal in Doha. It opened on November 25th, just in time for the 15th Asian Games. A marvel in itself.