cumulus

Airlines That Have "Survived" A Major Crash

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Over the years Airlines that have had major losses with crashes have either gone bust, rebranded or been merged into other carriers to assume their new name, i.e Helios, Valujet etc etc.

What carriers are still flying under the same name they "crashed" under?
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

MYT332

RE: Airlines That Have "Survived" A Major Crash

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:09 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Thread starter):
What carriers are still flying under the same name they "crashed" under?

Think of one of today's mainline US carriers and there you go?
One Life, Live it.

mauriceb

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:09 pm

United, American, KLM (biggest crash in history), Martinair, GOL, China Airlines, JAL, Saudi etc etc etc....

NewSky

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Air New Zealand springs to my mind, that DC-10 that crashed in the Antartic.

Bongodog1964

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Bit morbid this one isn't it ?

The answer must be just about every major airline; I know Qantas are reputed to have never had a major fatality, nor have VS; but I can immediately think of major fatalities for BA AF AA UA & SQ.

Major long established airlines by the very law of statistics are likely to have major crashes in their statistics, by virtue of the number of flying hours carried out, and the fact that accident rates were far higher in the past.

nzrich

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:27 pm

Singapore Airlines 747 crash in taipei comes to my mind
"Pride of the pacific"

cumulus

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):
Bit morbid this one isn't it ?

Not really! Just curious!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

cornish

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:01 pm

As said above, most of the world's carriers have had a major crash at some stage or another. Its far easier to list which major carrier HASN'T had an accident.

If we take the last 30 years or so, of the world's major carriers that have had major fatal accidents/incidents (noty caused by terrorism) I can think of American (multiple), United, Delta, US, Alaska, BA, SAS, KLM, THY, LOT, Aeroflot, Tarom, Martinair, Avianca, TAM, Gol, Saudi, SAA, Kenya Airways, Egyptair, El Al, Gulf Air, PIA, Thai, JAL, SIA, Korean (multiple), China Ailines (Multiple), Air China, Air NZ, Silkair, Garuda - and plenty more besides - all still flying.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MYT332

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Oh and I just wanted to point out I have nothing against the Yanks, I was just saying...

Anyway, Britannia Airways had a crash in GRO during a storm with one of their charter B757 flights in 1999. Granted they've changed their name now but that was way afterwards.

Don't forget British Midland aka BMI back in the late 80's. B734, two engines, one on fire so turn the good one off and go crash? Again, they were ok after that for the most part. The airline name change was years after.
One Life, Live it.

ltbewr

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:12 pm

'Major' International and USA based airlines have rarely failed due to a major accident alone and have generally survived even the most deadly accidents and even if their company was at fault. Generally those airlines that fail or are forced into mergers due to a major accident tended to be relatively smaller airlines or those that already had competitive or financial problems. For them a major accident or act of terror can be the final blow to destroy them.
UA and AA survived the 9/11 terror attacks despite the horrible losses they each suffered (each losing 2 a/c), they have been better at financial survival than a number of other major airlines in the USA since 9/11.

Qatara340

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Gulf Air had at least 2 major tragic crashes and its still flying.
Hmmm.. actually the vast majority of airline crashes airliners are still flying.
Inshalla we dont see another crash anytime,  Sad
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

scouseflyer

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):
but I can immediately think of major fatalities for BA AF AA UA & SQ.

BA - Manchester 85 and several as BOAC/BEA
AF - Concorde
AA - 9/11
UA - 9/11 or souix city
SQ - the Taipea crash http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...=9V-SPK&airline=Singapore+Airlines

I find the more interesting question the one about which major airlines have never lost a passenger - I guess we have to say Ryanair and U2!

According to airdisaster.com Qantas have a no fatalities record, looking at this record http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...999®=VH-OJH&airline=Qantas+Airways they came close to losing it here (look at photo 3 with the slide stuck in a tree!)

jetfuel

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:24 pm

At the other end the Panam 747 bombing probably did more to finish off Panam than just about anything....
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

cornish

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting Jetfuel (Reply 12):
At the other end the Panam 747 bombing probably did more to finish off Panam than just about anything....

Hastened its demise maybe, but Pan Am was already dying as a carrier before Lockerbie. A lack of a useful domestic network to feed its international routes was the main cause. It had already sold off its Pacific routes prior to the bombing I believe and the Atlantic routes would have gone the same way with or without Lockerbie.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

1stfl94

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 pm

Swissair went bankrupt less than three years after flight 111 crashed. It wasn't the main cause of the bankruptcy but it put a huge dent in Swissair's reputation, particularly as they had not had an accident since the mid 1970s/

lamedianaranja

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 2):
KLM (biggest crash in history),

While KLM came through that terrible accident all right it was Pan Am that went under, even though KLM was initially held responsible for the crash.

It shows, in my opinion, that a crash does not have that much to do with the demise of a carrier. PanAm, TWA, Swissair are carriers that have had crashes with the cause beyond their control and still went under.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Logos

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):
Generally those airlines that fail or are forced into mergers due to a major accident tended to be relatively smaller airlines or those that already had competitive or financial problems.

Agreed. Think about the case of ValuJet. People were already kind of "ValuJet? How safe could that be?" and then they crash. The crash wasn't even really their fault, but it added to an already existing concern. It's actually pretty impressive how AirTran has risen from those ashes.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

travatl

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
Quoting Jetfuel (Reply 12):

Hastened its demise maybe, but Pan Am was already dying as a carrier before Lockerbie. A lack of a useful domestic network to feed its international routes was the main cause. It had already sold off its Pacific routes prior to the bombing I believe and the Atlantic routes would have gone the same way with or without Lockerbie.

In regard to this type of catastrophic incident rushing the exodus of an airline, TWA800 comes to mind as well.....

cornish

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 15):
Swissair went bankrupt less than three years after flight 111 crashed. It wasn't the main cause of the bankruptcy but it put a huge dent in Swissair's reputation, particularly as they had not had an accident since the mid 1970s/

But again - as with Pan Am, the carrier would ultimately have gone bankrupt anyway - regardless of the crash. Certainly the accident didn't speed up the process - 9/11 did that instead.

BCAL

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:54 pm

Despite more crowded skies, flying today is safer than in the 70s or earlier with modern navigational aids, safety enhancements and causes of previous crashes being analysed and preventive measures being taken to avoid any repetition. The risk of terrorism is, however, probably greater today than in the pre 1980s. So I really feel that it is only fair that comparison for airlines that have survived a 'major crash' to be drawn from records post 1970.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 8):
Britannia Airways had a crash in GRO during a storm with one of their charter B757 flights in 1999

They had a far more serious crash at LJU in September 1966 when one of their Britannias crashed on landing. 98 fatalities of a total of 117 on board.

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 11):
BA - Manchester 85

It was a British Airtours (admittedly a wholly-owned subsidiary of BA) aircraft that caught fire on take-off from MAN. Shortly after the MAN incident, British Airtours was rebranded Caledonian. This happened on the merger with British Caledonian, when the BA charter subsidiary (British Airtours) and the BCal charter subsidiary (BCal Charter) were merged into one - Caledonian Airways, but perhaps coincidential the British Airtours name was hastily dropped?

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
Hastened its demise maybe, but Pan Am was already dying as a carrier before Lockerbie.

Deregulation lit the fuse that killed off PanAm.

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 16):
While KLM came through that terrible accident all right it was Pan Am that went under

Actually KLM came out very badly from the TFN crash. Remember it was the airline's Chief Pilot who made the decision to commence take-off, unaware that the PanAm 747 was still on the runway. Mention the Tenerife crash, and fingers for the blame point faster to KLM than to PanAm.

[Edited 2006-12-12 14:56:19]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

spartanmjf

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:14 pm

One that springs to mind for me is US - they survived three very public and deadly accidents in the late 1980's/early 1990's - the 737 in PIT, the 737 at LGA, and the DC9 [I think] at CLT......
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

LHStarAlliance

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:16 pm

LH in nigeria , first 747 crash , human fault
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

AlexPorter

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 21):
US - they survived three very public and deadly accidents in the late 1980's/early 1990's - the 737 in PIT, the 737 at LGA, and the DC9 [I think] at CLT......

There was also the 737 at LAX in about 1990 where it landed and quickly struck a SkyWest Metroliner sitting on the same runway waiting for a midfield takeoff (technically it was mostly caused by ATC error and the small Metroliner almost blending in entirely with the runway lights at night).

But that's nothing compared to UA in the 1960s! How many 727s did they lose that decade alone?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Qatara340

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:53 pm

Royal Jordian is another one. It crashed once in Qatar.  Sad
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

IAHFLYR

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 am

CO DC9-15 in DEN mid 80's during the snow storm!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am

For those who need to know all the details:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/

http://www.airsafe.com/

Search away.

PA's crash and SR's crash did not bring them to their demise. PA's over taking of National and to some extent buying the 747s did. PA had many crashes, if you search with those links above, and flew.

SR, tarnished, yes, lead to their demise, no. Management did that themselves.

It's amazing what www.google.com or www.yahoo.com can yield.
You can't cure stupid

cedars747

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:49 am

SAUDIA Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 763, registration HZ-AIH, was a Boeing 747-168B en route from Delhi, India to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on November 12, 1996

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

UALPHLCS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:02 am

BA - Manchester 85 and several as BOAC/BEA
AF - Concorde
AA - 9/11
UA - 9/11 or souix city
SQ - the Taipea crash

How can you mention UA's 9/11 and the UA 232 crash and NOT mention AA flt 587 crash? It comes off as a bit biased.

I don't think one crash has really ever killed an airline. Afterall, even Airtran is essentially Valujet they just took the untainted name. However, I think Pan Am was pushed over the edge by the Lockerbie crash even though they weren't responsible for it. A case could be made for TW as well.

No, crashes in general, don't kill airlines, they do however, kill aircraft lines. Think of the Comet, the DC-10 and the Concorde and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure we can think of other airplanes that for the most part were excellent planes but where killed by fear.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

jetjack74

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:11 am

NWA,
NW255- crashed after takeoff from DTW, plowing into a grassy bank next to Interstate 94 in 1987, all onboard killed with exception of Ceclia Chican
NW1482-DC9 crossing an active runway, hit by a 727-200 taking off and smacking the nose of the DC9. 8 fatalities, 1 crew, 7 passengers.
Made from jets!

charlienorth

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 15):
While KLM came through that terrible accident all right it was Pan Am that went under

14 years later..

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 28):
NWA,
NW255- crashed after takeoff from DTW, plowing into a grassy bank next to Interstate 94 in 1987, all onboard killed with exception of Ceclia Chican
NW1482-DC9 crossing an active runway, hit by a 727-200 taking off and smacking the nose of the DC9. 8 fatalities, 1 crew, 7 passengers.

In the 50's there was a saying in the midwest..for eternal rest fly northwest!! They crashed 6 M202's in a very short time period,along with some DC-4's.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

MEA-707

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:22 am

I think most reply's don't get the point.... The crash has to be seen relative to the airlines size, and to the existing image they already have.
For instance the NW crash in 1987 was the first NW crash in more then 10 years, NW never lost a widebody, and the public was soon like "things can happen."
A survivor though is Midwest Express who lost a DC-9 in its first year of operation due to it being old and the engine not maintained well. Nowadays the networks would for sure burn down the name of the airline but on one way or another Midwest survived.
Also the Britannia accident in LJU was big and early in it's career. Also Caledonian lost a DC-7 after only a few months of flying, with 111 killed one of the biggest accidents of their time, and still the public gave them a chance.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

PanAm747

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:25 am

Rather than generalize about an airline "surviving" after an accident, one needs to look at an airline's overall financial situation to draw a conclusion.

In the case of both Pan Am and TWA, both airlines had severe problems facing them. Pan Am had been on life support since the early 1980's, and put one foot in the grave in 1985 by selling its Pacific routes to United. By the time of the 1988 Lockerbie disaster it was almost over. Whether or not that was the final straw remains to be seen.

TWA had been held hostage by Carl Icahn for years, and even after finally ridding themselves of that vampire he continued to leech them with the Karibu agreement. In future years, historians will come to the conclusion that Icahn seemed to be determined from day one to destroy the airline slowly and painfully. Like Pan Am and the Pacific routes, he sold off the Heathrow landing rights, one of the few things earning TWA money. By the time of flight 800, the company was hemoraghing. It was like a heart attack on a profusely bleeding patient.

With other airlines, though, a greater financial strength has allowed them to carry on. ValuJet, as a company, is still around - it bought the name AirTran, and still continues under "an assumed name", much the way America West is still around, but living under the assumed name of USAirways.

Still other airlines weather their storms quite successfully - United, Delta, American, Continental, and Northwest have all had high profile accidents (some more recently than others), yet there have not been talks about it causing the airline to "go under".

Fortunately, accidents are increasingly more rare, so hopefully this is a topic we can relate to only in the past.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jbmitt

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:42 am

We're forgetting a few key crashes in North America:

Delta 191 near DFW in 1985
Delta 1141 @ DFW in 1988

Comair 5191 @ LEX in 2006
Comair 3272 near DTW in 1997

AirFrance 358 @ YYZ in 2005

American Airlines 965 near CLO in 1995 (Colombia)
American Airlines 1420 @ LIT in 1999

Southwest 1455 near BUR in 2000
Southwest 1248 @ MDW in 2005

Not all accidents were fatal, but had media publicity, deaths, or aircraft written off.

D L X

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 27):
How can you mention UA's 9/11 and the UA 232 crash and NOT mention AA flt 587 crash? It comes off as a bit biased.

Probably not biased - he's not American.

The UA 232 crash was a very high profile case for many many years after the crash. If we were to have a thread about heroic airline pilots, UA 232 would probably be #1. On the other hand, AA 587 was practically *forgotten* even in the US within a month. Pretty much as soon as the media said "not linked to terrorism," Americans breathed a sigh of relief and forgot about it. I suspect the effect was even more pronounced outside our borders.

charlienorth

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 am

One airline that a crash definitely contributed the demise was Air Florida,too bad they were a cool outfit to deal with in MSP during the winter charter season.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

b737700doctor

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:43 am

US Airways has had a DC9 two 737's crash.
Boeings are the best built planes

AirframeAS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:50 am

What about Copa Airlines flight 201? Thats a pilot error, was it not?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ZBA320

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 am

From the top of my head....

AA - 9/11, B757 bumped into a mountain and A300 NYC Accident (Excessive Rudder commands)

KLM - Tenerife

Pan Am - Tenerife - I suppose they survived up til Lockerbie

UA - Sioux City

AF - Concorde Accident / A340 in Canada

Korean Air - 747 that was shot down

GOL - B737 that went down recently

Aeroflot - A310 Pilot Mistake / Auto Pilot misunderstanding

Delta - 9/11

China Airlines - 747 accident

Avianca - 707 Ran out of Fuel

Thai Airways - A310 flap problem
An Engineer made a bet that a 747 Gear wouldn't retract in a Hangar. He lost the bet.

Logos

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting ZBA320 (Reply 37):
Delta - 9/11

Huh? Delta's had a couple of crashes (as noted here - the L-1011 & 727 at DFW stick out in my mind in particular) but they were not among the unfortunates involved in 9/11.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

UALPHLCS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:18 am

Delta - 9/11

WHAT!?!?!

YOU mean UA!
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

LH459

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 21):

That was in Nairobi, Kenya.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

jbmitt

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 32):
We're forgetting a few key crashes in North America:

Please excuse my post #32.. I stated in North America, my former geography professors would be disappointed if they were aware that I lumped Colombia in that group.

ThePRGuy

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 21):

IIRC that was in Kenya, not Nigeria?

Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

EFHK

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:01 am

Aeroflot - A310 Pilot Mistake / Auto Pilot misunderstanding

Well, letting kids fly the plane could be called a Pilot Mistake....

Ok, it wasn't the main cause but I'd call it one of the causes.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19940323-0&lang=en
I hope the link works.

[Edited 2006-12-12 22:04:10]
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

AirframeAS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:16 am

Delta - 9/11

huh?? Where did that come from? You must mean AA and UA.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

britannia191a

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:18 am

A dan-air 727 crashed into a mountain in Tenerife in late 60's early 70's. Even though Dan Air doesnt exist now this was not due the crash but the takeover of BA. I flew on Dan Air many times in the 80's without a care in the world and full confidence in the airline.

I think the confidence you have of an airline after an aircraft crashes depends on teh reult of the investigation. As with the AA and UA aircraft in 9/11 we know why that sadly happened as was no fault of the airline or aircraft.

Same with the Dan-Air, that I believe was Pilot error. I think the concern comes with maintenance procedures of an airline, fatigue and aircraft design flaws.

Aloha airlines even though didnt crash with a result of loss of life that was a serious incident whereby it crash landed safely with no loss of life but concern over the aircraft which is actually one of the safest in the world.

JAPAN Airlines is one which crashed and is still flying today just to add my input.

Magyarorszag

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 am

BOAC in 1966 when one of its B707 was badly damaged in flight near Mt. Fuji and finally crashed, after departing Tokyo where the day before a CP Air DC-8 crashed on landing.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:58 am

It seems this has gotten way off topic. We can quote and rehash who crashed when, who was at fault, who wasn't, why did it crash, etc., but I think the topic is what airlines continue to fly, eventhough they had a major crash. Not putting them into ruin, demise or closing their doors.

No major US airline has gone under as a direct result or an accident/crash. While it may be 'bad' publicity, it is not the direct result. If an accident is related to a demise, it is usually because of bad management and the forever mentioning of airline 'X' and it's recent crash (no specifics here, just an example).

PA and SR are two examples of, while they had very horrific crashes (recent and long ago), there demise was management and financial related.

The two websites I posted earlier are good sites to visit for researching airline/airplane crashes:

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 25):
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/

http://www.airsafe.com/

Search away.

CO, US, AA, UA, DL, AF, SU, CA, NW, AS (to name but some, but definitely not all) have all survived, financially and in name, as as airline.

The list is long. What is not long, but seems to be getting longer, is defunct airlines. Crashes or not. That, for whatever reason, did not survive. This list is but a recent one.

See list here:

http://www.justplanes.com/AirlineHist.html

Cheers
You can't cure stupid

NWASE

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:14 am

UA - 9/11 or souix city

Pleeze, its Sioux City  shy  That spelling causes a bit of an identity crisis.

AirEMS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:19 am

The CO in Denver Flt 1713

The UA Crash in Colorado Springs

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying