fraport

The New German TUI-Airline HF+HLX

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:16 am

On the upcoming friday (15th december) it will be announced by TUI that the new integrated airline of former HapagFly and Hapag-Lloyd Express (HLX) will be called TUIfly. The online edition of "manager magazin" already reported about the new brand (sorry, only in German):

http://www.manager-magazin.de/untern...hmen/artikel/0,2828,453340,00.html

The article also states that the talks with Air Berlin about a possible integration of the two TUI airlines into AB have been very far already, but then came to an end without any results last week. Instead TUI will operate the two airlines on its own, under the new brand TUIfly.

When this decision will be announced on Friday, the first aircraft will alredy wear the new livery. D-AHFU will come out of the paintshop first. It will wear a basic yellow livery (very similiar to the current HLX livery) but without the black and white cab stripe. Instead it will wear TUIfly.com in big red letters as well as the stylized TUI smiley on the tail.

In my view this is a very dumb move by TUI because they should have kept HLX as one single brand. TUIfly sounds like a pure charter airline and has nothing to do anymore with the typical HLX image of a low cost leisure AND business carrier. And of course, the HLX livery was by far more fancy Sad

airevents

RE: The New German TUI-Airline HF+HLX

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 am

You are right, TUIfly incorporates much less of a brand image than both Hapagfly and in particular HLX, which was well established in most of Germany, in particular here in Cologne. I see the strong necessity to get going on merging or closely co-operating with another carrier soon.
www.airevents.com

PlaneHunter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 am

"TUIfly" is even more more ridiculous than "Hapagfly" - congratulations to the "marketing experts" for the ultimate brand name screwup.  embarrassed 

Quoting Fraport (Thread starter):
It will wear a basic yellow livery (very similiar to the current HLX livery) but without the black and white cab stripe. Instead it will wear TUIfly.com in big red letters as well as the stylized TUI smiley on the tail.

That sounds just awful - HLX's livery has been innovative and outstanding.

Quoting Fraport (Thread starter):
The article also states that the talks with Air Berlin about a possible integration of the two TUI airlines into AB have been very far already, but then came to an end without any results last week.

I guess sooner or later it will happen.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

LHStarAlliance

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:28 am

Well at least I hope this awful Yellow disappears of the A/Cs.
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

fraport

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):

Maybe you should read my post again  Wink I think you one of very few people who don't like HLX' colors.

LHStarAlliance

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Fraport (Reply 4):
Maybe you should read my post again Wink I think you one of very few people who don't like HLX' colors.

I mean when they are integrated in AB. I think they´ll do the same as with DBA .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Owleye

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):

Disagree. HLX' 'yellow-cab' planes look very distinguishing. Admitting that the TUI planes are better readable.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Wang
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

Vasu

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 am

So it'll just be a yellow version of the TUI standard scheme...?

BOOORING!

flyorski

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 am

This is a sad move on TUI's part. The HLX brand is a popular icon, and very well established. This move could lead to another screw up similar to the problems that resulted from Thomas Cook killing the Condor name, before thinking it through and bringing the brand back.

The paint scheme also does not sound any good........Guess I'll wait to see what it really looks like though.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

fraport

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting OwlEye (Reply 6):
Admitting that the TUI planes are better readable.

How about this one?  biggrin 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wolfgang Lang

PhilV

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:03 am

TUIfly?

Ok, may function as long as the pruduct delivers good value for money.

But, why then using the yellow painting of HLX again? TUI is cerntainly able to achieve a success along with the power of its brand. And, the TUI brand is not supported by a yellow painting in my opinion. Using a part of HLX simply to build a compromise of hapagfly and HLX does not make sense.

Make it all TUI or make it all HLX.

Cheers

BA787

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:45 am

Sorry but I am probably one of a few that loves the TUI livery, I just love the blue and white with that red. I love the smile theory, it makes me smile Big grin

TUIfly will be a nice name, although I preferred the Hapagfly one, just a bit different, I just hope Thomsonfly doesn't become the same

fhgandi

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting PhilV (Reply 10):
Make it all TUI or make it all HLX.

Exactly that should happen, nothing else. Everybody would understand it. But that livery... yellow with red... and a new brand name, I do not think that the customers will understand it and I have serious doubts that it will be a good move by TUI.

What makes me really worried is the cancellation of the merger between AB, HF and HLX. This consolidation of the market should have happened, may be the doors are not closed yet. Hopefully!

PanHAM

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:09 am

I thought that after Thomas Cook, of, in German Thomas Koch, marketing should have learned a lesson.

TUIfly really tops it.

HLX makes sense, Hapagfly builds on the long and outstanding tradition of Hapag and Bremer Lloyd, both traditional shipping lines with passenger liner service, the one from Bremen/Bremerhaven and the otjher from Hamburg, which merged to from Hapag-Lloyd.

Instead of naming it TUIfly I would have called it HUIfly, better even - HuiBuifly - I claim copyright for both.

What a shame, another German company going down the drain. But ut fits perfectly - selling Preussag for too little, buying all the travel and airline companies across Europe plus CP ships for too much, and then giving it the final blow with a name for the airline part like that.
powered by Eierlikör

TriStar500

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:08 am

This is major news.

Instead of lamenting the - in this context - relatively irrelevant loss of a well-known name, it would be much more interesting to debate about the future cost structure of the new airline - I wonder, how the production cost advantages of HLX can be transferred on the new merged carrier. Will there be staff layoffs and what will the new pay and wage structure look like?
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Delta777Jet

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:25 am

If this comes true its indeed very dumb....
I understand that TUI wants to get the benefits of just operating one airline instead of two, but for what they created HLX ? The best would be if they just keep Hapag Lloyd for everything. Hapag Lloyd is not that famous like Lufthansa but still a very strong name in Germany where people believe there is a good product behind it. Never Lufthansa would change name to flylufthansa.com or lufhansafly or something like that because it would result in Yield decrease immediate. People buying LH tickets because of the image associated with it not because the product or the price is so good.

So if they want to be smart they make Hapag Lloyd and everybody, biz traveller between CGN-BER as well as the tourists are happy and HF is back to their tradition.
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-788/DC-10-10/30/L-1011-1/500/MD-81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL-18/ATR-42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

jorge1812

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 am

Sad day for German aviation. How long will it take if we only have AB and LH as big airlines? And whoch of these two will survive  Wink ?

Georg

PanHAM

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:47 am

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 16):

Sad day for German aviation. How long will it take if we only have AB and LH as big airlines? And whoch of these two will survive

Air Berlin of course Big grin but only if LH changes its name to Hansafly, which won't happen.

but seriously, this must the work of 30 year old dumbass marketing graduates who have no respect for the work and the value that is in a company. There are numerous examples of wellknown and recognized company names that have been wiped out and replaced with artifical creations, not alway for the benefit of the firms.
powered by Eierlikör

columba

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 17):
but seriously, this must the work of 30 year old dumbass marketing graduates who have no respect for the work and the value that is in a company. There are numerous examples of wellknown and recognized company names that have been wiped out and replaced with artifical creations, not alway for the benefit of the firms

Absolutely agreed, Hapag Lloyd-Flug was a way better name than Hapagfly or Tuifly  yuck  also their orange paint scheme was much better:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felix Goetting

It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

aidoair

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:10 am

TUIfly (Nordic) is already the new name for Britannia sweden.
I think that this re-brand will happen across the entire tui airlines network, for example Thomsonfly will be TUIfly UK, Jetairfly will be TUIfly Belgium, Corsairfly will be TUIfly France etc and will be able to make everything even more closer together under the one brand.
http://www.tuifly.com

I think that they should have kept the Hapagfly brand name for the entire operation and sell the flights as scheduled and charter like Thomsonfly does.

johnnybgoode

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 14):
I wonder, how the production cost advantages of HLX can be transferred on the new merged carrier. Will there be staff layoffs

I think both HF and X3 fit together nicely. i think it's mostly operational synergies and better utilization of aircraft rather than cost reduction due to cuts in the organization.

first of all, X3 does not have any flight crews. all aircraft are wet-leased with either Germania or HF crews. also, commercial departments at both airlines complement each other well, e.g. HF does not have a sophisticated revenue management team (mostly operating on behalf of tour operators) but X3 does... and so it goes with a number of areas.

X3 is really a very small airline in terms of employees, just some office staff, that's about it.
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

PlaneHunter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 17):
There are numerous examples of wellknown and recognized company names that have been wiped out and replaced with artifical creations, not alway for the benefit of the firms.

checkmark 

And they never learn...

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

jorge1812

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Johnnybgoode (Reply 20):
X3 does not have any flight crews

Sure, two years back when I applied for a F/A job I also applied at HLX because they were searching F/A'S.....last week I throw away the answer.

Georg

Humberside

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting Aidoair (Reply 19):
Thomsonfly will be TUIfly UK,

Please no, bring back Britannia I say, at least for the charter side of the business

Quoting Aidoair (Reply 19):
Jetairfly will be TUIfly Belgium

Wasn't JetAirFly originally TUI Airlines Belgium?

All I can say is, don't TUI appreciate the benefits of local identities? You dont have to use your name for all your products to be successful
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

aidoair

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 23):
Please no, bring back Britannia I say, at least for the charter side of the business

Yes totally agree with you or just at least keep it Thomsonfly , we've only just got used to the latest re-brand im sure we don't need another yet  Wink

Quoting Humberside (Reply 23):
Wasn't JetAirFly originally TUI Airlines Belgium?

Yes it was Jetair operated byTUI Airlines Belgium.

stirling

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:39 am

TUI=The killer of classic airline liveries.

I understand the business justification for bringing all the different subsidiaries under one common marketing blanket, but that doesn't mean I have to like it! (Actually, I hate it.)

It will be a dark day (inevitable) that they change all the names to a single identity.

And by the way, since we are on the subject of TUI, I've been wanting to ask this question for a while, but didn't feel it was worth a new topic.....

>>Why is ArkeFly the only TUI airline without an English version of their website? And here I though the Netherlands was the most English-Friendly nation on the Continent!
Delete this User

gbfra

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:10 am

TUI can obviously not use the Hapag brand for their airline any longer because they are under severe pressure from investors to sell their branch Hapag-Lloyd (container shipping) in order to focus on tourism. Which they will have to do sooner or later. So the Hapag brand will be lost for them.

Investors have also demanded to sell the airline business. The merger of HLX and HapagFly is a deperate attempt by the TUI CEO, Mr. Frentzel, to keep the airline business at least for a while so he may be able to sell it for a better price some time in the future. The only logic behind this merger is cost-cutting.

I don't think business travellers or tourists travelling on charter planes care very much about the name of an airline company or the colour of their airplanes.

Regards
The fundamental things apply as time goes by

jorge1812

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting Gbfra (Reply 26):
I don't think business travellers or tourists travelling on charter planes care very much about the name of an airline company or the colour of their airplanes.

You forgot what happened to Thomas Cook powered by Condor or BA's world tails....both removed because of customer complaints or simply pax not flying them.

You are German so you should know that German Neckermann/TUI holidaying tourist prefer to fly on a 40 years old DC-9 which has seen the last check-hangar 10 years ago only because LH/DE/AB/HF is painted on the fuselage rather than flying on a brand new A-320 of Egyptair/Turskish Airlines/Tunisair or anything else.

Georg

TriStar500

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 27):
You are German so you should know that German Neckermann/TUI holidaying tourist prefer to fly on a 40 years old DC-9 which has seen the last check-hangar 10 years ago only because LH/DE/AB/HF is painted on the fuselage rather than flying on a brand new A-320 of Egyptair/Turskish Airlines/Tunisair or anything else.

While I have to agree with you in general, it seems like the latest round of renaming (Hapag Lloyd --> Hapagfly) didn't fare too bad with the regular passengers - probably because the average Hans Sixpack didn't know what a "Lloyd" is anyway. "-fly" sounds fairly similar and it is in basic English, which is all the fancy with the little educated masses over here (unfortunately).
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

PanHAM

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Quoting Gbfra (Reply 26):
TUI can obviously not use the Hapag brand for their airline any longer because they are under severe pressure from investors to sell their branch Hapag-Lloyd (container shipping) in or

Not exactly. They are under the threat of an LBO, no one is going to invest into this company without the prospect of selling the various parts piece by piece.

The problem of the company actually has a name, Mr. Frentzel, who has made all thw rong decisions which led to the catastrophoic state TUI is in at the moment.

Rebranding the various TUI airlines will not help a bit, it will only increase their problems. How will this name and faceless airline stand up against a worldwide respected market leader? More important, how will they be able to stand up against an Air Berlin with their charismatic boss Hunold?

BTW - selling the container shipping business will have the same desastrous effect on the company. Frentzel has streered the company into dire straits, they have the choice between bad and evil, not a good choice indeed.

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 28):
anyway. "-fly" sounds fairly similar and it is in basic English, which is all the fancy with the little educated masses over here (unfortunately).

not only the masses are un- or at best semi-educated. What sense does a name TUIfly make? A fly is a "Fliege", in combination with TUI it can mean TUIfliegen. This makes anybody who has some sense for a language and full sentences shudder. With all the bad examples we have in Germany, when so called marketing people invent slogans using Emglish without beeing able to translate it back into German - like "come in and find out" or "service point" or the politcal versions like "job floater" where nobody knows what that means,why top it with another meaningless name?

FLIEGENSCHISS with a dot behind would have been better. Besides the fact, that the "Fly" theme has been used already by Condor, although I don't like that campaign either.

Much better however by "Niki" with just painting a fly on the aircraft. That's the way to do it, but it takes an entrepreneur like Niki Lauda who does not have to ask anyone to make smart decisions. Saves the money or useless ad agencies.