Oykie

What Should BBD Do To Get The C-series Right?

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 am

Quote:
Montréal, January 31, 2006 -- Bombardier announced today that present market conditions do not justify the launch of the CSeries program at this time

Quote:
A small team of employees will remain with the CSeries program to further develop its business plan, with emphasis on including other partners, particularly in fast-growing major aerospace markets.

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...lang=en&file=/en/3_0/3_8/3_8_4.jsp

This small team has come up with a revised plane. The feature is the following:

- A smaller wing
- The C-series has a shortened fuselage. 43cm or 17in shortened
- The range is shortened 560km on the C130
- CFM and GE is back in business
- 4% lower fuel cost

The plane could have an EIS at 2010, but could be pushed back until 2013 if the engine makers offers a 15% better consumption at the later date.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...+seat+airliner+discussed+with.html

My question is the following: What should Bombardier do in order to make the C-series more interesting. It seems like it might be to little to late.

Should they develop a more radical design?

50% composite by weight. Up from 10%.
Develop a C90 and a C150 to offer a complete family of airplanes.

They talk about a 15% lower operating cost. (Before the latest revision) Could they make that 30% If so, what do they need to do? Would that require a completely new engine? I would imagine that the PW6000 with a new fan could be interesting in regards of lower fuel consumption as well as a lower maintenance cost.

Is the C-series fast enough? Powerful enough? And wide enough to be competitive in the next decades market?

[Edited 2006-12-12 18:37:36]
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Rheinbote

RE: What Should BBD Do To Get The C-series Right?

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:23 am

Turn back time?

Seriously, they missed several windows of opportunity to launch something like the CSeries. Now it's too late, with the specter of a Boeing Y0.5 or Y0.25 looming and scaring potential investors, if there are any, away. Could BBD finance a project of this magnitude on their own? Don't think so.

CRJ900

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:04 am

They don't have an easy task ahead of them. Even big boys Boeing and Airbus are scratching their heads to come up with something truly spectacular, and the customers/market is fickle and commanding and not easy to please.

I'm guessing they'll go for the CRJ900X instead.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Oykie

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Rheinbote (Reply 1):
Turn back time?

Maybe the can borrow Dr. Emmett L Brown's DeLorean and hit 88MPH?  spin 

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 2):
I'm guessing they'll go for the CRJ900X instead.

I am afraid you are right that the only airplane they will offer in the not so distant future is the CRJ900X. If so, I fear they will end up as MDC did 20 years before them. Once a great company, now unsure of the road ahead.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas