airevents

Tame Airlines - Info Needed

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 am

Hello everybody,

I need some information on TAME Airlines of Ecuador. At the moment they mostly fly domestic routes in the country, however they used to have a much bigger, also international network. Could anybody help me with the destinations they were serving? What was the reason they ceased their international flights except for Cali / Colombia?

Thanks for your help!

airevents
www.airevents.com

Birdwatching

RE: Tame Airlines - Info Needed

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:38 am

Hi!

TAME is the passenger division of Ecuador's Air force, the name is an acronym for Ecuatorian Military Air Transports (Transportes Aereos Militares Ecuatorianos), even though I believe the "Militares" has been changed to "Mercantiles" now.

With a fleet of mostly 727s thay have served Havana and Santiago in the past, as well as Bogota on behalf of Lufthansa and Air France (with planes aquired from LH and AF), but today they fly from Tulcan to Cali as their only international flight, the reason being (I believe) Ecuador's CAT2 status. Their 727 fleet was complimented by F.28s for domestic services. They also flew Electras until well into the eighties (I've flown on all of these in the late eighties)

Recently, TAME has received two factory new A320s as well as 2 or 3 Embraer Jets. They are seeking to start flying internationally again, I believe they eye Panama and Miami, but who knows.

Any more questions, just ask!

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

airevents

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:41 am

Thanks for the quick info. Do you happen to know if they ever had flights to the US or anywhere else internationally?

airevents
www.airevents.com

Birdwatching

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:41 am

Forgot to mention that they also operated a leased B757 for a brief period, this was the largest plane ever in TAME colors. It was used for Galapagos flights.

Soren  santahat 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Arjen Weterings

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Birdwatching

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting Airevents (Reply 2):
Do you happen to know if they ever had flights to the US or anywhere else internationally?

You'll find a bunch of pictures in the A.net database of TAME 727s at US airports (-100 and -200 models) but none of them are on scheduled services, just VIP charters. Keep in mind that this is a division of the Air Force, so the president will travel on TAME jets (in an economy seat I might add)

Actually the ex Lufthansa birds had a business class section, not sure if they're still flying in that configuration. Most 727s are parked at Latacunga now.

Soren  santahat 

A388

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:50 am

TAME also flew charter flights to CUR almost the entire year (nov 2005-sept 2006).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter

A388

md90fan

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
2 or 3 Embraer Jets

1 E-190 and 2 E-170

IIRC they ran charters to MCO,PTY,HAV,AUA and CUR.

They really want to fly to CCS and MIA

E-jets also fly to :

Baltra (in Galapagos)
Cuenca
Esmeraldas
Guayaquil
Isla Isabela (in Galapagos)
Loja
Manta
Nueva Loja
San Cristobal (in Galapagos)
Tulcan

Saludos,
Devan  wave 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

andessmf

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 4):

How int the name of God did you get to know so much about TAME and Ecuador?

airevents

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 am

Does anybody know when exactly they withdrew from their international routes like Havana and Santiago? Was that only because of the crashes in 1998 and 2002 or were there other reasons?
www.airevents.com

Birdwatching

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:22 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 7):
How int the name of God did you get to know so much about TAME and Ecuador?

I lived in the wonderful Country of Ecuador for 7 years, and flights were cheap so I did a lot of jetting around. After I moved out of Ecuador in the mid 90s I went back several times, I also worked for EMSA at UIO for a couple of months as an intern.

On Apr 19, 2001 I flew on B721 HC-BLF, which crashed shortly afterwards.

I also jumpseated in the cockpit of HC-CDA, an F100 of Icaro, which crashed 10 days afterwards.

I also flew several times on a Petroecuador FH27 which crashed when I left the country, must have been early 2005. Flew on the sister ship too but she hasn't crashed yet, thank God.

Soren  santahat 

A388

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 9):
I also jumpseated in the cockpit of HC-CDA, an F100 of Icaro,

Are you sure it was a F100 and not the F28? As far as I know Icaro never operated the F100....?

A388

Birdwatching

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 10):
Are you sure it was a F100 and not the F28? As far as I know Icaro never operated the F100....?

Yes, F28, my mistake!

Soren  santahat 

A388

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:45 am

Hey Birdwatching,

I just went through the database and indeed came across the F28 registered HC-CDA. No worries, everybody makes mistakes. Would be boring if we wouldn't, right?  Smile

Saludos,

A388

andessmf

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 am

I lived in the wonderful Country of Ecuador for 7 years

Please tell me you liked GYE (hometown) better than UIO.

On Apr 19, 2001 I flew on B721 HC-BLF, which crashed shortly afterwards.

I flew TAME the day before their other 721 crashed in 2002. Had worried members calling us to find out if we were OK. The news in the US were sketchy at the time.

777jaah

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 13):
I flew TAME the day before their other 721 crashed in 2002. Had worried members calling us to find out if we were OK. The news in the US were sketchy at the time.

I flew in the 727 a week before it crashed in BOG. I still remember seeing the site of the crash of my college campus, and I ever heard the crash, I was less than a mile away. Still remember the face of a FA, she was both trips to and out of UIO, and I always suspected she was on that tragic flight......never confirmed it actually, never wanted to really know.

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

cptGirmayTesfa

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
With a fleet of mostly 727s thay have served Havana and Santiago in the past, as well as Bogota on behalf of Lufthansa and Air France (with planes aquired from LH and AF), but today they fly from Tulcan to Cali as their only international flight, the reason being (I believe) Ecuador's CAT2 status.

IIRC at some point they flew also scheduled to Panama.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos