UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Finnish Aviation Thread Vol. 1

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Hey all Finns and non-Finns, how about a discussion on Finnish aviation?  Smile
Any views on these and other subjects would be very welcomed:

- What's the next Asian destination for Finnair? ICN? CTS? MAA? Announcement for winter season 2007-08 could be very close.

- What's the next Ryanair destination in Finland? OUL perhaps?

- Will we ever get a non-European carrier to HEL? TG, did you forget us?

- Xmas charters to RVN, KTT, IVL, ENF (Enontekiö), KAO (Kuusamo) etc. Who? From where? Have you done it yourself?

- HEL non-Schengen expansion in 2009 and a possible new terminal after that

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jaakko Ypyä
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Nonaka

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kimmo Koivula
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sami Marttila

AY and ANA rock!

okay

RE: Finnish Aviation Thread Vol. 1

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Thread starter):
Hey all Finns and non-Finns, how about a discussion on Finnish aviation? Smile
Any views on these and other subjects would be very welcomed:

- What's the next Asian destination for Finnair? ICN? CTS? MAA? Announcement for winter season 2007-08 could be very close.

No news about this..They keep this information so well hidden until it's time to tell..There are no rumours even at the moment among the staff what could be the new destination.

Quote:
- What's the next Ryanair destination in Finland? OUL perhaps?

If they start a domestic route, most propably it would be to OUL. But TMP-OUL, would it be profitable..? I think an international destination is more propable.

Quote:

That's what Finnair CEO is saying, that it's just a question of time when someone comes to compete with Finnair Asian network.
In the past we had at least Delta flying to HEL, with L-1011. I don't know where from, some old colleaques just told me this. And Pan Am from Frankfurt hub with B727.
ELAL also used to fly, first with B767, then B757. Air China has been planning to start flights to HEL as long as Finnair has been flying to PEK (since 1988, 1st western European airline to fly to PEK). It was then agreed when Finnair was granted the permission to fly there, that in return Air China would also start flights to the Finnish capital. Still waiting... =)
One at least will come, sooner or later.

Quote:
- HEL non-Schengen expansion in 2009 and a possible new terminal after that

On the wall of an office belonging to Civil Aviation Authorities at HEL airport there was a map of the airport with future plans. It illustrated a terminal in between of the two runways. This new non-schengen terminal was not included. Has the plans changed or what, i do not know.

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting AY" class=quote target=_blank>OkAY (Reply 1):
If they start a domestic route, most propably it would be to OUL. But TMP-OUL, would it be profitable..? I think an international destination is more propable.

I didn't mean a new destination from TMP but a flight from another (foreign) FR hub to OUL or some other city in Finland. Like STN-OUL, which would be super.

That's what Finnair CEO is saying, that it's just a question of time when someone comes to compete with Finnair Asian network.

All European and Middle-Eastern airlines flying to Asia are already competing with AY. They don't have to fly to HEL to compete on the Europe-XXX-Asia flights. But BKK would be one of the only destination that could fill up a plane with Finns without connectoins from other European cities (which AY needs, of course).

It illustrated a terminal in between of the two runways. This new non-schengen terminal was not included. Has the plans changed or what, i do not know.

Not new non-Schenger terminal but expansion of the current one - the one that they are already building: http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/hel_pressrelease?id=65917

Because of the construction work, gate 33 is now a super-long temporary jetbridge:

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 329 File size: 174kb
AY and ANA rock!

okay

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:44 am

Quote:
I didn't mean a new destination from TMP but a flight from another (foreign) FR hub to OUL or some other city in Finland. Like STN-OUL, which would be super.

ah okay, well in this case OUL would be the most propable destination

Quote:
All European and Middle-Eastern airlines flying to Asia are already competing with AY. They don't have to fly to HEL to compete on the Europe-XXX-Asia flights. But BKK would be one of the only destination that could fill up a plane with Finns without connectoins from other European cities (which AY needs, of course).

I didn't mean either the European airlines nor the Middle Easter airlines, I meant the Asian ones: SIA, TG, Air China etc.

Quote:
Not new non-Schenger terminal but expansion of the current one - the one that they are already building: http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/hel_pr...65917

Yes that's what I meant, the expansion of the excisting one. I hadn't seen this long jet bridge at gate 33, looks funny  Smile

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting AY" class=quote target=_blank>OkAY (Reply 3):
I didn't mean either the European airlines nor the Middle Easter airlines, I meant the Asian ones: SIA, TG, Air China etc.

Well they don't have to fly to HEL either to compete with AY on Europe-Asia...
AY and ANA rock!

okay

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 4):
Well they don't have to fly to HEL either to compete with AY on Europe-Asia...

True. They would also need someone (European airline) to feed their long haul flights. Maybe possible within an alliance.. It makes sence in the same way as how Finnair does it.

FunFlying

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:24 am

I suppose TG has recently been the strongest candidate to start flights to HEL, perhaps as a continuation of some of their current European services. Only the problems with A380 have now postponed TG's plans..

FF
Leaving on a Jetplane...

andaman

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:37 am

Personally I miss more LCCs at HEL, but it seems to be a hard market,
now only Air Berlin and Germanwings flying, Blue1 is something between.

Ryanair flies to TMP, around 2h from Helsinki.
Is HEL too expensive for the big boys like Ryanair or Easyjet? I would imagine there would be markets, with the right routes.

About the Xmas charters:
This winter Finnish Lapland is expected to get around 560 charters from the other parts of Europe, around 100 more than last year. The Santa business is getting busy there.

[Edited 2006-12-13 18:01:21]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Sukhoi

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:00 am

What about the rumoured flights from Kemi/haparanda to Stockholm. KF or SK? I read that there are 6 daily flights with AY to HEL why not 1 or 2 daily flights to ARN?

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 8):
What about the rumoured flights from Kemi/haparanda to Stockholm. KF or SK? I read that there are 6 daily flights with AY to HEL why not 1 or 2 daily flights to ARN?

KF would be the obvious choice. But I guess there is a small chance it would be FC (FinnComm Airlines) who has planes overnighting at KEM. They will actually take over all HEL-KEM flights with AY code-sharing on them. Now that Ikea has helped Haparanda/Tornio(Torneå)/Kemi area to grow, the flights might even work.

Quoting Andaman (Reply 7):
Is HEL too expensive for the big boys like Ryanair or Easyjet? I would imagine there would be markets, with the right routes.

Too expensive for FR at least. They only came to Finland after Finavia was able to open a low-cost terminal at TMP.

Quoting AY" class=quote target=_blank>OkAY (Reply 5):
They would also need someone (European airline) to feed their long haul flights. Maybe possible within an alliance.. It makes sence in the same way as how Finnair does it.

Well not the same but the opposite way. AY can serve the market from large Asian cities to smaller European cities with thin European connecting flights from the wide-body Asian flights. For Asian carriers it's the opposite: they can serve the market from large European cities to small Asian cities. AY is master in the former, TG and JL etc. in the latter version. (Both can, of course, serve from large European cities to large Asian cities.)

[Edited 2006-12-13 20:40:07]
AY and ANA rock!

DLBOIFIN

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:04 am

What about CO HEL-EWR? There has been a lot of rumours about that service since they already have CPH, OSL and ARN. I guess HEL would be pretty logical choice and they could even make money on that with 757. The range of course might be an issue.

DL HEL-ATL is probably just my daydream...!

andaman

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 9):

Too expensive for FR at least. They only came to Finland after Finavia was able to open a low-cost terminal at TMP.

Perhaps HEL would need a low-cost terminal, if any space there.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

ZRHnerd

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 am

Terve!  Wink

Good to see that the fins have started their own aviation discussion aswell. I visited your country numerous times and i love it, it's just a wonderful place with nice people, a wonderful landscape and lots of fun stuff to do. I was actually even playing with he thought of moving there one day.

So, i'll follow your discussions here with great interest and can't wait for my next trip to Finland.

Regards
Sandro  Smile

andaman

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 12):
Terve!

Good to see that the fins have started their own aviation discussion aswell. I visited your country numerous times and i love it, it's just a wonderful place with nice people, a wonderful landscape and lots of fun stuff to do. I was actually even playing with he thought of moving there one day.

So, i'll follow your discussions here with great interest and can't wait for my next trip to Finland.

Regards
Sandro

Terve Sandro  Smile

I wish you good trips to Finland! There have been some confused foreign visitors lately in Finland, most of the country strangely 'warm' and with out snow, some expected next week though. I hope Santa gets his job done properly.

2travel2know

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 am

Before I start a thread just to ask this question, Does any Finnish A.neter have some info on the HEL-PTY bi-weekly charters? Who's flying and who's the Finnish Touroperator having PTY as a destination this Winter?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 14):
Before I start a thread just to ask this question, Does any Finnish A.neter have some info on the HEL-PTY bi-weekly charters? Who's flying and who's the Finnish Touroperator having PTY as a destination this Winter?

Tour Operator is Oy Aurinkomatkat-Suntours Ltd Ab, which is a member of the Finnair Group:

http://www.aurinkomatkat.fi/general/general_info.asp?id=7&subid=29

The flights are Finnair Leisure flights on charter-configured B752s.
AY and ANA rock!

2travel2know

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 15):
Tour Operator is Oy Aurinkomatkat-Suntours Ltd Ab, which is a member of the Finnair Group:

http://www.aurinkomatkat.fi/general/general_info.asp?id=7&subid=29

The flights are Finnair Leisure flights on charter-configured B752s.

Kiitos (or it's Kiipis?)  Smile

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 16):
Kiitos (or it's Kiipis?)

Ole hyvä! "Kiitos" is correct.  Smile "Kippis" is what you say when you drink vodka (or something else).  Wink
AY and ANA rock!

SNATH

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 17):
"Kippis"

In fact, "get pissed" is a nice mnemonic for Kippis.  Smile

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

prebennorholm

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:57 am

A Finnish tread - great - that's exactly what I need to have first hand answers to a few questions.

In five weeks time I am going to Kittilä (CPH - HEL - KTT and back). What a time of the year to go there! What can I expect? Minus 40 degrees C? I hate minus 40 even as much as plus 40.  Angry But at least there will be no mosquitoes.  Smile

It will of course be dark 24 hours with just a couple of hours twilight around noon. How do people survive during such conditions? My stay will be only 48 hours, and as far as I am informed it will involve little more than a sauna visit, so I will probably survive.

When the AY e-ticket arrived in my mailbox, then I noticed that the equipment was an A320!!! How come that such a big plane is needed for such a small and remote place next to the North Pole? I would have expected an ATR-42.

I heard a rumor telling that last summer the Kittilä airport terminal building burned to ashes. Is that correct? Has it been rebuilt?

I will be visiting a small place (forgot its name) some 40 miles mostly west of Kittilä, almost on the Swedish border. How are road traffic conditions normally at such places in mid January? Is there a fair chance that it will be smooth and fairly on schedule? We will be about a dozen business colleagues from various European countries and I assume that my Finnish colleagues charter a bus.

I will have one day off duty up there. Is there something interesting to look for at this crazy time of the year?

I would love to have some qualified answers to these questions, as well as any other good advise.

tiafyh (tnx in adv for ur hlp), Preben
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am

Xmas charters to RVN,

Some of tomorrow's arrivals:

11:15 Dublin FCA8402
12:00 Nottingham Eastmidlands MON9010
12:30 Belfast FCA8409
12:50 Nottingham Eastmidlands FCA6578

http://www.finavia.fi/airport_rovaniemi

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 19):
In five weeks time I am going to Kittilä (CPH - HEL - KTT and back). What a time of the year to go there! What can I expect? Minus 40 degrees C? I hate minus 40 even as much as plus 40.

The airport website ( http://www.finavia.fi/airport_kittila ) is showing -2 C at 1.50 a.m.... quite warm for this time of year. So let's just wait what it will be in a few weeks.  Wink

When the AY e-ticket arrived in my mailbox, then I noticed that the equipment was an A320!!! How come that such a big plane is needed for such a small and remote place next to the North Pole?

KTT is the main airport to serve the biggest ski resorts in Finland, that's why.  Smile

I heard a rumor telling that last summer the Kittilä airport terminal building burned to ashes. Is that correct?

Parts of it did burn, but not all:
http://www.finavia.fi/airport_kittila?pg=news&nid=65860
The airport is running normally at the moment.

How are road traffic conditions normally at such places in mid January?

Usually, there's no need to worry. But for current information, here are the live road weather cameras in Finland:

http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/english/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

(Click the map on the left to see the detailed map section for Lapland.)
AY and ANA rock!

2travel2know

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 17):
Ole hyvä! "Kiitos" is correct. "Kippis" is what you say when you drink vodka (or something else).

Good thing I still remember those, there're not that many finnish words one could learn in Sweden and I already know not to start talking in Swedish to a Finne.

Now something more in the likes of the thread, It would be interesting to see more AY in major cites from the former URSS, like Baku, Tblisi, Alma Ata, Tashkent, Jerevan and some other important cities in India, Japan even in TPE. Flights from HEL to those destinations in the former URSS don't need widebodies.

prebennorholm

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks a lot UpperDeck! Now I know a lot more about Kittilä and the region. And thank you so much for all those sites to find actual and detailed information. Very much appreciated!

But those -2 deg C right now doesn't tell much. At this very moment it is record breaking "hot" all over Scandinavia. Here in Denmark we will "suffer" from +12 deg C tomorrow. And for several weeks we have had an almost constant and strong wind from south-west. The sea around Denmark could have been frozen by now, instead (crazy) people go swimming in the sea every morning. Global warming or not, that won't last all winter.

Skiing resort... But has the skiing season begun already in mid January at such a northerly latitude way beyond the Polar Circle?

andaman

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 22):
Thanks a lot UpperDeck! Now I know a lot more about Kittilä and the region. And thank you so much for all those sites to find actual and detailed information. Very much appreciated!

But those -2 deg C right now doesn't tell much. At this very moment it is record breaking "hot" all over Scandinavia. Here in Denmark we will "suffer" from +12 deg C tomorrow. And for several weeks we have had an almost constant and strong wind from south-west. The sea around Denmark could have been frozen by now, instead (crazy) people go swimming in the sea every morning. Global warming or not, that won't last all winter.

Skiing resort... But has the skiing season begun already in mid January at such a northerly latitude way beyond the Polar Circle?

The skiing season can start already in October in Lapland, the high season is in Feb-March, that time Finnair has flown even with MD-11 there.

MD-11 in Kittilä:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juha Portti

Both skiing business and Santa business has grown fast up there. You have to try a husky ride or snow mobiles, that's fun!

The Levi skiing resort in Kittilä:

http://www.barentsphoto.com/getfile.php/251497.921.qyteeyaeyw/Levi%20ski%20resort.jpg

Please let us now how the trip was, you could write a report  Smile

andaman

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 21):

Good thing I still remember those, there're not that many finnish words one could learn in Sweden and I already know not to start talking in Swedish to a Finne.

Now something more in the likes of the thread, It would be interesting to see more AY in major cites from the former URSS, like Baku, Tblisi, Alma Ata, Tashkent, Jerevan and some other important cities in India, Japan even in TPE. Flights from HEL to those destinations in the former URSS don't need widebodies.

Well, Swedish is the second official language in Finland and the first language for a part of Finns so you can always try to talk Swedish to a Finn, English always a safe choice though  Smile

I know AY is very interested to expand atleast in Russia, but Russia hasn't always been an easy partner with this question.
Other question is where the profitable markets would be.

About Japan and India: AY is already in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Delhi,
perhaps more Indian cities coming later. They have the rights to fly to Mumbai already.

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 24):
AY is already in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya

I would like to see some calculations about Sapporo, if it could work. No European airlines flies there at the moment (KLM used to) and the city has more than 3 million people.

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 22):

The Slalom World Cup started in Levi in November, just 15 min from KTT.

even in TPE

TPE would be awesome since their European connections are quite limited nowadays. But then again it might not work non-stop because of China...

Flights from HEL to those destinations in the former URSS don't need widebodies.

True. But where would these people connect to, JFK? Or Europe? AY only flies to Kiev, Ukraine at the moment and, of course, all the Baltic countries.
AY and ANA rock!

2travel2know

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 25):
I would like to see some calculations about Sapporo, if it could work. No European airlines flies there at the moment (KLM used to) and the city has more than 3 million people.

Talking about Japan, I was thinking more of KKJ - Kitakyushu - or KIJ - Niigata, not really CTS. PUS in South Korea could be even attractive for a KKJ service if not instead of.

Nimish

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 pm

How's the new AY 21/22 HEL-DEL-HEL service doing so far? Does anyone have any feedback? Is it predominantly connecting traffic or is there a significant amount of O&D as well?
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 27):
How's the new AY 21/22 HEL-DEL-HEL service doing so far? Does anyone have any feedback? Is it predominantly connecting traffic or is there a significant amount of O&D as well?

Well, it's 3 pw now and it will go 5 pw in the summer. AY said it's selling better than expected, actually. Lot's of Scandinavian connecting traffic, since it's the fastest way to DEL.

All travel agencies are "suddenly" selling packages to India from Finland which has not really been done before.  Wink
AY and ANA rock!

andaman

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 28):

All travel agencies are "suddenly" selling packages to India from Finland which has not really been done before.

Package holidays from HEL to Goa, on AY's 752, have been popular for years, but the connection to DEL has open more choices.

DABZF

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting OkAY (Reply 1):
Delta flying to HEL, with L-1011. I don't know where from

... it was JFK-ARN-HEL I think... might have also been without ARN in between!?

But how about no mentioning of Blue1... they are expanding like crazy! Flying all around the Europe and I heard that they might start HEL-LED and/or HEL-SVO next!
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 29):
Package holidays from HEL to Goa, on AY's 752, have been popular for years, but the connection to DEL has open more choices.

Ah yes, I forgot about Goa. But as you said, the DEL flights opened possibilities for packages to Northern India's tourist destinations including Agra.

Quoting DABZF (Reply 30):
But how about no mentioning of Blue1... they are expanding like crazy! Flying all around the Europe and I heard that they might start HEL-LED and/or HEL-SVO next!

Well right now the expansion has stopped, I haven't heard of any new planes coming. It's hard to imagine it could keep all those twice weekly routes that they are flying even during the winter... But yes, they are trying to get rights to fly to SVO. Right now the only Finnish airline aloud is AY, which keeps the price for HEL-SVO non-stop extremely high for pax starting the trip in HEL.
AY and ANA rock!

DABZF

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:39 am

Just to think about it aren't AY holding traffic rights to quite a few HEL-Asian routes?

I can remember that it was AY who stopped KE Cargo flying ICN-HEL who was operating "scheduled" flight as a charter for awhile few years back.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 32):
I can remember that it was AY who stopped KE Cargo flying ICN-HEL who was operating "scheduled" flight as a charter for awhile few years back.

Here's the Korea-Finland Air Services Agreement

It says the following:

Quote:
Capacity regime
Bermuda principles apply. Traffic programmes shall be submitted for approval. Present capacity entitlement: Three (3) weekly frequencies without restrictions as to aircraft type. Single-sided operation requires a commercial agreement, e.g., code-share agreement, between designated Finnish and Korean airlines.

So does that actually mean that if there is no code-share agreement, only one airline cannot operate ICN-HEL?
AY and ANA rock!

Tancrede

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:27 am

Moi kaikki,

Olen tulossa ensi torstaina Helsinkiin Finnairilla Pariisista. Lentokoneeni sapuu Vantaan klo 23:00. Olen siellä noin pari viikkoa ja takaisin kotiin mutta tällä kertaa Blue1:lla. Odotan kovasti matkani Suomeen kun tämä maa on niin kaunis talvella (paistsi nyt kun ei ole lunta  Sad ).

Terv. kaikkille A.netin suomalaisille

prebennorholm

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 23):
Both skiing business and Santa business has grown fast up there. You have to try a husky ride or snow mobiles, that's fun!

Thanks Andaman for your great information. Since husky rides seems to be available around Kittilä, and knowing the people who invited me, then I'm almost sure that a husky ride will be on the agenda.

Until recently Santa lived in Greenland, not Finland. Santa in Greenland has announced that this year he is not going to answer mail from millions of kids around the world. It has become too expensive. So it seems the traditional fight between Denmark and Finland - whether Santa lives in Greenland or Finland - has finally come to an end. Finland won. So this year it is useless to send a letter to Santa Claus, zip code 00001, Greenland.

MD-11 to Kittilä, that's amazing. I thought that I would be going to the end of the world.

Today, all day - with the help from UpperDeck - I had a nearby webcam running in a corner of my computer screen at the office. To my surprise there seems to be several hours of twilight around noon, even if the sun of course never rises this time of the year.

So now I am looking forward to a pretty nice tour. Even if I can guarantee that it is a very near 100% Danish winter-tourist-free zone.

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 35):
Since husky rides seems to be available around Kittil�, and knowing the people who invited me, then I'm almost sure that a husky ride will be on the agenda.

However, you should remember that huskies were never traditionally used in Finland! They are there now only for the tourists... worried 

So this year it is useless to send a letter to Santa Claus, zip code 00001, Greenland.

So the address "Santa Claus, 99999 Finland" works much better, good!  Wink

Today, all day - with the help from UpperDeck - I had a nearby webcam running in a corner of my computer screen at the office.

Hehe, cool that you found some use for the webcams. Big grin
AY and ANA rock!

andaman

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 34):
Moi kaikki,

Olen tulossa ensi torstaina Helsinkiin Finnairilla Pariisista. Lentokoneeni sapuu Vantaan klo 23:00. Olen siellä noin pari viikkoa ja takaisin kotiin mutta tällä kertaa Blue1:lla. Odotan kovasti matkani Suomeen kun tämä maa on niin kaunis talvella (paistsi nyt kun ei ole lunta ).

Terve Tancrede  Smile

Welcome to Finland, I wish you a good trip! You speak really good Finnish. The weather is finally changing and the real winter with real snow should arrive also to Southern-Finland next week.

WSOY

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 23):
The Levi skiing resort in Kittilä:

You'd be amazed what people do there besides skiing. Whatever that may be, the demand for flights is quite steady.
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

andaman

Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:17 am

Until recently Santa lived in Greenland, not Finland. Santa in Greenland has announced that this year he is not going to answer mail from millions of kids around the world. It has become too expensive. So it seems the traditional fight between Denmark and Finland - whether Santa lives in Greenland or Finland - has finally come to an end. Finland won. So this year it is useless to send a letter to Santa Claus, zip code 00001, Greenland

So this is where the Santa lives, in Rovaniemi, south-east of Kittilä, full of tourist these days:

Finnair has opened The School Of Santa:

http://www.theschoolofsanta.com/index.html

ravel

Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 36):
So the address "Santa Claus, 99999 Finland" works much better, good!  

Actually it is "99999 Korvatunturi, Finland", however this is not his official address any more.

Btw, the Rovaniemi airport is right next to Santa Claus' village so you can even walk from the terminal to see him personally. And he is there meeting visitors even in summer so you don't have to fly to RVN in December just to see him.  Wink

One thing I must say about Oulu airport - there is no ATM around and Visa Electron isn't accepted anywhere. You need transportation to the city and this makes things more difficult.

Tancrede

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 37):
Welcome to Finland, I wish you a good trip! You speak really good Finnish. The weather is finally changing and the real winter with real snow should arrive also to Southern-Finland next week.

Thanks, and I hope that you are right abouth the weather. BTW, I heard that you get a storm at this moment on the southern coast.

DABZF

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 33):
So does that actually mean that if there is no code-share agreement, only one airline cannot operate ICN-HEL?

...that's how I read it! KE can not fly if they don't have AY as a codeshare or v.v.

By the way... is this a Santa thread or aviation thread!?  Silly

andaman

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 42):

By the way... is this a Santa thread or aviation thread!?

...hard to be separated, as Santa is the main tourist trap in Finland this time of the year  Wink

prebennorholm

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:21 am

Santa IS aviation!

He runs SPS, the world's largest and oldest cargo airline these days. (Santa Parcel Service).

andaman

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 30):

Blue1 to LED/SVO sounds really good, all competition welcome, KF keeps AY busy in Finland.
Blue1 has expanded rapidly and maybe that explains all the delays/cancellations thay have had, they haven't been the most reliable airline.
I am sure these problems will be fixed, they are needed in Finland.

WSOY

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:05 pm

Snow status in Finland on-line. The picture is autoupdated. The situation of the day (14.12) is unnaturally bad.

"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

UpperDeck79
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Xmas charters to RVN, KTT, IVL, ENF (Enontekiö), KAO (Kuusamo)

Cool, one of the many visitors to IVL made it to the top pic of the day:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juha Portti

AY and ANA rock!

OHLHD

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Finally a Finnish Aviation thread!
Great Idea UP79!!!  Smile

Quoting WSOY (Reply 46):

Yes wheather I crazy at the moment. I just visited my grandmother, on the sad of occation of the death of my grandfather, and they are in Viitasaari and there was no snow at all! Despite they had a meter snow and -18°C already some weeks before.

However, unfortunatly my flight left to early from HEL so I could not get any MD-11 on camera which I would have posted here now.

At least I got a dirty AirFinland 757, which I will post. But I can´t find my USB Cable Big grin .

Do you guys remeber when Santa got restricted in South Africa!!! He should use anti-collison lights, only then he was allowed into SABig grin

Joge

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:54 pm

There should be also a bunch of Russian charters flying into Helsinki in the nearby days as they tend to do so every year. Anyone having more information on this?

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 34):
Moi kaikki,

Olen tulossa ensi torstaina Helsinkiin Finnairilla Pariisista. Lentokoneeni sapuu Vantaan klo 23:00. Olen siellä noin pari viikkoa ja takaisin kotiin mutta tällä kertaa Blue1:lla. Odotan kovasti matkani Suomeen kun tämä maa on niin kaunis talvella (paistsi nyt kun ei ole lunta Sad ).

Wow, c'est tres bien!  Big grin Where did you learn Finnish?

Today seems to be the first day with a bit of sunlight since the last time. And temperature is dropping below 0, so shouldn't be too long time before there'll be some snow too!

-Joge
Bula!