Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Turkish Airline Staff Sacrifices Camel At Airport

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:11 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6175893.stm

To mark the last delivery of 100 aircraft, maintenance workers clubbed together to buy the beast - and then consume it. The sacrifice took place at Istanbul international airport

Insane.

[Edited 2006-12-13 17:12:55]

[Edited 2006-12-13 17:13:24]
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

pilotaydin

RE: Turkish Airline Staff Sacrifices Camel At Airport

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 am

actually it wasn't for the 100th, it was a thank god the RJ fleet is gone festive  Wink
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

longhaulheavy

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:23 am

Where East meets West - on the tarmac at IST.

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 am

What i dont get is, how did they drag this camel into the airport without anyone questioning them.

Did it have 1 or 2 humps?  duck   yuck 
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

jjbiv

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Blasphemystic (Thread starter):
To mark the last delivery of 100 aircraft, maintenance workers clubbed together to buy the beast - and then consume it. The sacrifice took place at Istanbul international airport

Sounds like great fun! Wish I would have been invited or my previous airline employer would have had such festivities surrounding the conclusion of new deliveries; all I got was a layoff notice!

Joe

2travel2know

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:18 am

If I'm not mistaken, when Air Madagascar (MK ?) got a B747 they sacrificed a bull on the tarmac too.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

airfoilsguy

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:43 am

So how airlines get their food!  duck 

I think it is kind of cool and would have tried some camel meat if I was there. I don't see why someone should lose their job over it though. Yes, by American standards it seems a bit unusual but if it did happen in the states the guy would probably keep his job thanks to the unions.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

vfw614

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:06 am

Errrr. how did they kill the beast on the tarmac - if I am not allowed to bring liquids past security, I am not sure they are allowed to bring swords, guns, whatever weapon airside to to some ritual killing of a camel? I sincerely hope they did not strangle the poor thing to death and cleaned up the mess properly....

Anyway, they celebrated the withdrawal of their last Avro RJ - which is somewhat bizarre and maybe shows a bit of bad taste. OTOH - just wondering if some a.netters secretly slaughter a bronco in the wild wild west whenever an airline replaces some Airbus with Boeings.... - I have got to tell Borat to find out for his sequel....

OA260

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:47 am

What will TK staff do when they join Star Alliance??? Tradition is good but there is a time and a place for it and IST wasnt one of them. If they want to do this stuff in a village then fine but at a international airport its a bit much.

JoKeR

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am

Maybe weird to some of us, but a celebratory ritual - and a special one, for Muslims during their Festival of Sacrifice.

Sad to see an animal slaughtered, but we need to respect (not necessarily understand) other cultures and their traditions, in any shape or form.

Flight safety was not compromised, let's get on with our lives...
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

stylo777

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 am

this is an aviation forum and we should discuss about aviation and not about a camel. you could talk about the RJ and their leave and somethink else, but not about any traditions or cultures or nations or meats...

ltbewr

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 am

This was a bit unusual of a custom, but it may reflect the customs and beliefs of the staff. To me the bigger problem is if they actually killed and butchered the camel in their workplace. It isn't really part of their job description or probably allowed, especially if an open fire was used to BBQ the meat. That is why the supervisor/manager was fired. I am quite sure their are customs done by airline mx workers all over the world, although not this extreme.

zvezda

RE: Turkish Airline Staff Sacrifices Camel At Airp

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 24):
how did they kill the beast on the tarmac - if I am not allowed to bring liquids past security, I am not sure they are allowed to bring swords, guns, whatever weapon airside to to some ritual killing of a camel?

I'm confident that mechanics at an airport with a major MX operation would have a variety of cutting tools.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 26):
we need to respect (not necessarily understand) other cultures and their traditions, in any shape or form.

I have to disagree. Cannibalism would be a good example of why.

Flight safety was not compromised, let's get on with our lives...

checkmark 

ThereandBack

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:38 am

This is a clip of CNN Turk reporting about the incident.
Sorry for those who don't understand.

I still can't believe this happened.
 Sad

threepoint

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 29):
we need to respect (not necessarily understand) other cultures and their traditions, in any shape or form.

I have to disagree. Cannibalism would be a good example of why.

To respect a tradition (or opinion) does not necessarily equate to agreeing with it.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

aircanada333

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:28 pm

how can someone do such a thing???

[Edited 2006-12-14 05:32:17]
De-icing RULZ!!!

Vimanav

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:32 pm

I surprised at the surprise of some of the Western A.netters to the event. In Nepal (until recently the world's only Hindu Kingdom), it is customary to sacrifice a buffalo whenever RA gets a new plane and to pour the blood on the aircraft to ward off evil. Also it is crazy to generalize that Hindus and Buddhists get into a tizzy when beef is served. There are enough Hindus who will gladly relish a steak and enough Buddhists (eg. Thailand and other parts of SE Asia) who would try out a beef burger at Burger King. In this respect what I can assure you is that in comparison you will find far, far fewer Muslims or Jews who will eat pork.

For those who state that Turkey is far from Western standards, may I remind them of the Armin Meiwes cannibalism incident in the heart of Germany.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

sylvcath

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 pm

At least they ate what they killed. I'd hate to be the poor soul who had to clean up the mess.

I don't know that I've ever heard so much elation about getting rid of Avro's.
"sylvcath" = Sylvan Catharsis

omoo

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Personally, a Goat would have worked better....
Fly Air Popobawa

SQ773

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:05 pm

Shameful. No other words to describe this.

I hope the management takes the right decision.

cheers

sq773

planeboy

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:06 am

I am quite surprized about some of the pro-butchering comments by learned Anetters.

In India where large number (majority) of people are meat eaters, at such occassions a coconut is broken. (If anyone of you have followed Indian aviations threads, this has been discussed at length. Every new induction of aircraft to IC had its share of broken coconuts and applying of holy colors). This is quite symbolic. I think this particular tradition has evolved with time when public cruelty became a matter of social shame, and I feel it was a good change or rather a "evolution".. step in the right direction.

How many of you would like to be that poor unsuspecting camel dragged to the hot tarmac, confused by all those jet noises and being pounced on, only to be get its wind pipe cut? I fail to see how this is could be something to be proud of?

Why people are becoming more fundamentalists and bigots by passing day, hell bent on pleasing god with blood?

flyorski

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:50 am

I wonder how they killed it. If they used large knives, or a gun, it would be a very real security threat.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

aogdesk

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:54 am

We have a custom here of slaughtering chickens, frying their wings, and slathering them with kick ass hot sauce after a job well done. Whats the difference with the exception of copius amounts of blood that ends up on the ramp??  Smile

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 79):
well just like every topic on A.net, we have all flavors....

Yes, but not for camels.

Just as you accept it is normal to sacrifice an animal, we here in the USA accept it is OK to view an incident like this as inhumane, barbaric and prehistoric.

777FlyGuy

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 27):
this is an aviation forum and we should discuss about aviation and not about a camel. you could talk about the RJ and their leave and somethink else, but not about any traditions or cultures or nations or meats...

Would this have made news had the killing not been on an airport? Unlikely. Was the place of the killing inappropriate? Yes. Just a huge lack of judgement. Meat is meat. I personally wouldn't eat camel, but then I won't condemn a particular culture for their beliefs.

CHRISBA777ER

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 99):
come OOOOON!!! (opel commercial )

COME ON!!! Big grin
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

copter808

Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:06 am

I must be missing something here...I fail to see anything wrong with what the Turks did--and they certainly have no reason to be embarrassed!

What I DO see is people saying that anything which might seem unusual in *their* culture is flat wrong! Who the hell are we (regardless of where we are from) to say the rest of the world is wrong? It seems to me that this is EXACTLY the kind of thinking which is responsible for most of the worlds problems.

An airline I used to work for would grill hamburgers and hot dogs in the cargo area. Oh my God, people eating cow (beef) and pork on the airport. How crude! Some cultures would find this disturbing, yet to we Americans it's completely normal. Some cultures eat dog. I would never knowingly eat dog, but I can't impose my personal will on cultures who do. Wouldn't we all be better off if we could learn to accept other cultures, rather than condemn them?

On the "security" issue, I hardly think a camel is a security concern. The instruments used to slaughter and butcher the animal were presumably used by employees with SIDA access. Yes, under some circumstances, these could be considered weapons--particularly if you are a passenger. These are airline/airport employees who should have already been given a security clearance. Do we really want ALL potential weapons removed from the airport? Who wants to be the first to fly on an airplane repaired with tools that could not possibly become a weapon?

gamarocchi

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:25 am

Copter 808, the point is not eating meat (even if I do admire people who are able not to eat meat), but slaughtering the camel on the tarmac. Which by the way means they must have brought some weapon on the tarmac, but, I believe what shocks most people including many modern minded Turks is the fact of dragging this poor animal on the place, cutting its throat, and letting it die in its blood while partying and putting their hands in the blood of the animal. What you are exposing there, is cultural relativism at its best. Well, I do agree that once you eat meat, whatever you eat is not different, I don't feel more shocked if people eat dog meat than if they eat pork. But if someone tells me he can kill an animal with his hands and get bathed in the blood and not even think about the fact the animal was killed inhumanely, well, I think the guy is a bloody savage. No less. It is the insensitivity to suffering that I find unacceptably barbaric.

Free to think otherwise, but do think about what your cultural relativism stops to. What if a country's culture involved stoning to death adulterous woman? Would this also be acceptable in your mind and nothing to disagree against?

777way

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:24 am

I know what you mean, I'm Muslim too, but the concept seems barbaric and outdated, even pagan in all honesty.

dz09

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 111):
I know what you mean, I'm Muslim too, but the concept seems barbaric and outdated, even pagan in all honesty.

You should be more worried about how fellow Muslims and fellow human beings from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. are treated in the UAE than how a camel is treated in Turkey.

gamarocchi

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:55 am

Donating food to the needy is unquestionably useful and admirable.

What is questionable is the ritual itself, awash in pain and suffering. Yes, worrying about human beings are treated is of course a priority, yet: DZ09, why should those things be mutually exclusive? I mean, why if one finds barbaric the treatment of an animal, it must mean he does not object to the inhuman treatment of another human being.

Also, you write one person should be more worried about how "fellow Muslims and fellow human beings" are treated in UAE. Is there an order of worrisome things? As in "Muslims, other human beings, and lastly animals"? Why did you not mention Thailand and the Philippines between those countries whose nationals are often trafficked into the UAE? Just curious of what your reply might be.

As for another westerner questioning your culture, I have plenty of things to question in "western culture" too, and my belonging to "western culture" could be disputable by some and is not quite accepted by myself.
Anyway the issue now is a camel being painfully slaughtered in a middle of an airport.

Which brings me to a comparison. Let's say, in famously corrupted Holland, a local carrier buys the 100th airliner. Let's say, the local employees of (un)said airline want to celebrate. And they bring a hooker on the workplace, and they all have sex with the hooker while getting drunk and partying. On tarmac. They are subsequently fired. Would you object to someone saying their behavior was barbaric or savage? If yes, why? If not, why?

[Edited 2006-12-17 18:03:22]

wingnut767

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:58 am

[

Quoting Gamarocchi (Reply 102):
But if someone tells me he can kill an animal with his hands and get bathed in the blood and not even think about the fact the animal was killed inhumanely, well, I think the guy is a bloody savage. No less. It is the insensitivity to suffering that I find unacceptably barbaric.

Free to think otherwise, but do think about what your cultural relativism stops to. What if a country's culture involved stoning to death adulterous woman? Would this also be acceptable in your mind and nothing to disagree against?

This a far cry from killing and butchering an animal for the barbecue. It is ridiculous to even compare this way.

Most hunters throught out the world have some sort of ritual when it comes to taking and animal. Giving thanks to whomever it is they give thanks to and the cleaning or dressing of the animal can be a ritual or tradition also. Meat is meat and the way that the animal is killed does not matter. Killing an animal to eat is not barbaric. Killing humans, raping, slavery those are barbaric. Killing an animal and making a shish-kabob on the grill is not. I believe PADspot said to have interest in foreign cultures. You may not like them all but then again no one is asking you too.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

garnetpalmetto

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:10 pm

OK all, this thread has wandered far afield - going to discussions ranging from whether or not camel is kosher/halal to discussions about the CNN newswoman in the video clip to discussions of different slaughtering methods to EU/Turkey discussions. Those are all off topic and with this thread now 90+ posts lighter, I'm locking it.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.