detroitflyer

Foreign Certification Requirements

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 am

With all this discussion about the A-380, i read a lot about it not meeting certification requirements or trying to get exemptions from either the FAA or the EASA.......
My question is what about other regulatory agencies, for example china's, india's (2 biggest countries), australia's???
Do they have any or are they not just stringent enough. Why is airbus only worried about Europe and the USA, when there are plenty of other countries they have to fly to  scratchchin 
Boiler Up!!!

Gemuser

RE: Foreign Certification Requirements

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting Detroitflyer (Thread starter):
With all this discussion about the A-380, i read a lot about it not meeting certification requirements or trying to get exemptions from either the FAA or the EASA.......
My question is what about other regulatory agencies, for example china's, india's (2 biggest countries), australia's???
Do they have any or are they not just stringent enough. Why is airbus only worried about Europe and the USA, when there are plenty of other countries they have to fly to

In short - every country has its own certification requirements. I can only speake from personal knowledge of the Australian sitution, but most countries are similar.

The Oz certification requirement require you to prove compliance with either the EASA (was UK ARB) or FAA requirement for the appropriate type of aircraft. Once you have done that then you have to comply with the Oz requirements, which may be extra or just different from the above. When I worked in this area in the 70/80s the main differences, that I can remember, related to seat belts, fire suppression and radios.

So, for example when QF presents its application for a certificate of registration and a certificate of airworthiness for its first A380, it will be required to 1) Prove the aircraft has EASA or FAA type certification 2) Show compliance of the aircraft type with the relevant Oz standards.

This is not a sudden or unexpected thing. Since before ordering the aircraft QF will have been in contact with our Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) discussing certification issues. CASA in turn would have been in contact with EASA and Airbus and data would have been flowing.

I believe the situation is similar in all other ICAO member countries. What varies is the amount and degree of local requirements and the data required to substantiate manufactures claims. The professionals who I worked with in the early 1970s (who were all trained in World War 2 or before) had very little confidence in FAA certification and so demanded a lot more data than the airlines/importers thought reasonable. There were some memorable battles over First of Type certifications. And don't even mention FAA STC's!!!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

detroitflyer

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 1):
So, for example when QF presents its application for a certificate of registration and a certificate of airworthiness for its first A380, it will be required to 1) Prove the aircraft has EASA or FAA type certification

that is exaatly what i am saying!!! why dont countries adopt their own policies ie.. (nothing to do with FAA OR EASA) requirements???
world would be safer right????
why is it that only the US and EU have the main rules and other countires dont.??
Boiler Up!!!

Gemuser

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 2):
that is exaatly what i am saying!!! why dont countries adopt their own policies ie.. (nothing to do with FAA OR EASA) requirements???
world would be safer right????
why is it that only the US and EU have the main rules and other countires dont.??

Why reinvent the wheel? Oz bases its type certification on EASA or FAA requirement because thats where the aircraft are manfactured, so they HAVE to do it. The rest of us basically take their work and add our own bits.

It is an very large and difficult undertaking to write and keep up to date aircraft design standards. It requires aeronautical engineers and machanics, pilots and other professions to have the knowledge to do so. Countries that do not have a large aircraft manfacturing base simpley dont have the knowledge base to do it. Not to mention the cost.

There is international input to the EASE/FAA standards via ICAO. Their standards have to comply with ICAOs rules which are set by the total membership. This is the basis for accepting EASA/FAA standards by the rest of the world.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

detroitflyer

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:02 pm

thanks.... sucks that nobody else wants to take part in this topic though
Boiler Up!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos