KarlB737
Topic Author

ORD Radar Back Up After Failing Twice Today

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:25 am

Courtesy: WLS-TV

Radar Back Up After Failing Twice At O'Hare - Video Report Included

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=4854649

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy: WBBM-TV

O'Hare Radar Failure Causes Flight Delays

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_349083915.html

Video Report:

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=28431@wbbm.dayport.com

[Edited 2006-12-15 23:40:48]

glidepath73

RE: ORD Radar Back Up After Failing Twice Today

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:35 am

Are they talking about the ASDE radar, or the BRITE? I mean both is bad to fail, but the ASDE is a bit less critical... -well in ORD you really need both.  Smile

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

IAHFLYR

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:42 am

The article seem to point toward the ASR-9 RADAR which is what the approach and tower would use to control aircraft. If in fact that was what went down WOW, only 1 antenna, just crazy for a spot like ORD.

If it was the ASDE RADAR, not nearly as critical for sure, but if it was foggy or bad visibility then ASDE out would sure slow things down on the ground control position.

DBRITE is taken from the ASR-9 data and fed into a tower display.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

airfinair

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:54 am

According to the Chi Trib, it was the ASR-9 (Airport Surveillance Radar 9) radar that went down. They switched to a radar down in Tinley Park (pretty far for ORD ops, isn't it?) Arrivals were down to about 60 per hour. Only one primarty radar at ORD? Nice. BTW, PWK & UGN ops were also affected, but not MDW, as it uses the Tinley Park radar.
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NASâ

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:59 am

Johnny: "Just kidding..."

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

IAHFLYR

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 3):
They switched to a radar down in Tinley Park (pretty far for ORD ops, isn't it?) Arrivals were down to about 60 per hour. Only one primarty radar at ORD?

That makes more sense. When the RADAR at the primary airport such as ORD and they other ASR is not on the airport they are able to still use a terminal ASR just can't run simultanous approaches if the weather is not good enough to conduct visuals approaches, bascially if they can't see the airport or aircraft they're following by the time they're around 15 miles out on final or so then you're doing simultaneous ILS's....without the primary airport (ORD) airport RADAR operating normally then most likely they are not authorized to do the simul ILS's.

At IAH if the primary RADAR goes down we change to the site at HOU but can't do the simul ILS's so the arrival rate gets chopped from 120/hr down to 60-70 some.

Having more than one RADAR site at the primary airport is not all that common and is very expensive for sure but can certainly pay off when the only site goes into the toliet.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

FriendlySkies

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:36 pm

I feel very lucky...I was on UA455 ATL-ORD this morning, and we had no issues leaving ATL or landing at ORD. And with my luck on this route (I fly non-rev), I am still very surprised. Hopefully it didn't mess things up too bad.

aviatortj

Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 6):
I feel very lucky...I was on UA455 ATL-ORD this morning, and we had no issues leaving ATL or landing at ORD.

I was on UA444. We were holding for < 10 minutes and still got in early from MSP. Ch 9 is great for the little details.  Smile