Boeing Nut
Topic Author

First Pic Of New Pilatus PC-12 Glass Cockpit.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:14 am

All I can say is....... dayum.

Now you all will have to excuse me while I go change my shorts.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 114kb

drool 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

RaginMav

RE: First Pic Of New Pilatus PC-12 Glass Cockpit.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:23 am

That's impressive, for sure! For a turboprop, the current cockpit is already pretty simple, this is just astounding. I guess I don't know what avionics company makes this system, Garmin, Avidyne???

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 am

thepilot

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:46 am

Wow, amazing cockpit! I have been lucky enough to be in the older version, but this one is quite impressive! Thank you for sharing.
From YVR

N766UA

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:46 am

I'm not a fan of all the glass these days... call me old fashioned.
This Website Censors Me

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 4):

Understandable. Purist at heart.  cool 

Cool thing about this system is has the capability of synthetic vision. Very cool for situational awareness.

Mir

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 am

You're old fashioned, but I kind of agree with you. With the exception of moving maps, which are great aids to navigation, I'm not sold that glass offers that many improvements over regular instruments. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this one, but I felt that the PC-12 cockpit before had a very good blend of glass and conventional instruments.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

juventus

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:36 am

Looks like the Falcon 2000EZ, which in my opinion is the most advanced cockpit in the world.

EWS

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:37 am

Looks very impressive..  Smile

Lew

connies4ever

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
You're old fashioned, but I kind of agree with you. With the exception of moving maps, which are great aids to navigation, I'm not sold that glass offers that many improvements over regular instruments. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this one, but I felt that the PC-12 cockpit before had a very good blend of glass and conventional instruments.

Glass cockpits provide the possibility of active diagnostic messages being displayed on-screen as & when necessary -- something 'steam-powered' cockpits cannot do. They also could provide failover capability so that in the rare case when a screen goes dead, another screen can provide the same funcitonality, again something the old style displays cannot do. Looking ahead to touch-screens in the years to come, the possibilities are endless for more detailed diagnostics, T&A in flight on particular systems & subsystems, etc.

Glass cockpits are lighter and more reliable (no moving parts on the screen).

All of these are advantages.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

fspilot747

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:14 am

Glass cockpits are for women.

Let's not forget that new Piperjet cockpit. How much pantyhose do you have to wear to need this? :

Tired of all these cockpits that are "ergonomic" and look like the interior of a lexus or other automobile. What happened to the days when you had to actually fly your airplane in one of these:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christian Ettelt

[/rant]

Indy

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 10):
What happened to the days when you had to actually fly your airplane in one of these:

I'm with you. I don't like the idea of designing the pilot out of the cockpit. I trust a human to fly a plane more than I do a computer.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

planemaker

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:32 am

WOW... I ddn't realize that most airline pilots were women!  Wink
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

AirSpare

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:54 am

Are they HUDs where you would expect the window shades to be?

Cool if they are.

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 9):
T&A in flight

I guess I have to give a double dayum, they really are multiple function displays...

Smile
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

Dash 80

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:58 am

Looks like the inside of a Swiss Spaceship.
...where the rubber hits the runway...

A342

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:05 am

The thrust lever is simply amazing !
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 am

Yeah sure

Tired of all these cockpits that are "ergonomic" and look like the interior of a lexus or other automobile. What happened to the days when you had to actually fly your airplane in one of these:

It's called advancement in technology, good luck trying to stop it.

Glass cockpits allow the pilot to fly the airplane more than if he/she were in an analog cockpit. Analog, you have to monitor systems as well as fly, increasing the workload. Glass takes care of monitoring, allow the pilot to, as you put it, fly the airplane

cancidas

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 am

the piperjet cockpit is downright ugly. this thing looks too much like a nissan to me...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

sxmarbury33

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:10 am

Im not that impressed it looks like one of those new Cessna panels beefed up and with two mfd's. If those are Hud's then I will be impressed.

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting Sxmarbury33 (Reply 18):
If those are Hud's then I will be impressed.

I seriously doubt they are HUD's as these displays will have the capability of displaying synthetic vision.

Primus Synthetic Vision

Blackbird1331

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:22 am

Please, insult glass cockpits all you want, but please show respect for the pantyhose.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:41 pm

People who insult glass cockpits are just ignorant and haven't used them enough. The turn and slip indicator is old school too, should we go back to them? Heck why bother with VHF and VOR's, NDB's and HF all the way right. : Yeah sure
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

radelow

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:57 pm

How can these things be bad if they reduce the workload for the pilot? I am not a pilot but it seems like the technologies being implemented are not just for the sake of technology...

corey07850

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:09 pm

Thats a kick ass cockpit, but it's on a damned single engine turboprop--- is there really a need?

Edmonchuck

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:30 pm

I have absolutely NO problem with a glass cockpit...as long as there is some good ol' backup. That is what scares me with that PC-12 rendering, nothing mechanical in sight...

I can fly OK with either, and I am OK with my penis size so I don't need to prove it with a 707 cockpit.

threepoint

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 23):
Thats a kick ass cockpit, but it's on a damned single engine turboprop--- is there really a need?

Sure, when the plane is flying 230 kts at FL300 in hard IFR - why not? Pilot workload increases little as you add engines - 99% of the time. Most of the distractions come from factors outside the cockpit and glass technology improves situational awareness exponentially. One could also argue that jet engine mgmt is easier than turboprop engine mgmt is easier than piston engine mgmt so the easier systems monitoring, the better.

Quoting Edmonchuck (Reply 24):
That is what scares me with that PC-12 rendering, nothing mechanical in sight...

Well, I see a conventional (gyro) attitude indicator on the left side, and I would be surprised if there weren't a conventional ASI and altimeter as well to provide the basics in the exceedingly unlikely event of multiple panel failures.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

cirrusdriver

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:51 pm

call me old fashioned

Old Fashioned!!!  Big grin

RiddlePilot215

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 9):

Glass cockpits provide the possibility of active diagnostic messages being displayed on-screen as & when necessary -- something 'steam-powered' cockpits cannot do.

Us old "steam gauge" pilots like to call those...MFD's.....

Smile

I for one am opposed to all glass cockpits....They're pretty and all...but Riddle just bought a bunch of them for the 172 fleet....and the new privates that are learning on them are quite possibly the most oblivious bunch of idiots I've ever seen attempt to get a pilot's ticket.  banghead 

I personally think they take away from the whole "see-and-avoid" theory...because everything is presented on the screen, you never take your head out of the cockpit, you technically never have to learn about the systems....It's either green/ some normal color....or red....it's ridiculous...

However, back on topic.... You can sign me up for one of those new PC-12's  Smile Those things are great to wow passengers/ non-pilots with  bouncy 
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

CaptainTim

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting Juventus (Reply 7):

this cockpit looks just like Dassault's eASY cockpit system on the 2000EX and 7x but to be honest this isnt the most advanced... been on both and the Gulfstream 450/550s.. .and the Planeview system on board the Gulfstreams are even one step higher... its a personal opinion but many pilots agree..

wow for a turboprop this cockpit is amazing... considering that a similar cockpit is foound on a $43 million Falcon 7X...
Gulfstream Planeview Cockpit: "why have hundreds of buttons when a CCD does the same thing and more?"

pilotaydin

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:35 pm

im with you there, it looks nice, but i think people should start with conventional cockpits and navigation, and THEN move onto these
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 27):
I personally think they take away from the whole "see-and-avoid" theory...because everything is presented on the screen, you never take your head out of the cockpit, you technically never have to learn about the systems....It's either green/ some normal color....or red....it's ridiculous...

Wait until you shoot an approach right to minimums with one. Your opinion will change quickly. The amount of information that is presented in an easy to grasp format is just amazing.

Quoting Edmonchuck (Reply 24):
I have absolutely NO problem with a glass cockpit...as long as there is some good ol' backup. That is what scares me with that PC-12 rendering, nothing mechanical in sight...

The AHRS and other systems behind the glass panels are infinetly more reliable than the old vaccum systems were.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

PADSpot

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Be careful! There are quite a few women present in this forum ... such statements have lead to virtual beatings before ... I've seen ugly scenes  Wink

Quoting CaptainTim (Reply 28):
looks just like Dassault's eASY cockpit system on the 2000EX and 7x

I think the eASY cockpit can be ordered on all Falcon Jets now ..

planemaker

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting CaptainTim (Reply 28):
wow for a turboprop this cockpit is amazing... considering that a similar cockpit is foound on a $43 million Falcon 7X...

For just a little bit cheaper price point... these aren't too shabby either...  Wink

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/warrior~iii/bigpics/Pic4.jpg
Warrior III

Diamond

Cirrus

Columbia

Not bad for single-engine aircraft... Big grin And for comparison, here is the Mirage turboprop...

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/mirage/bigpics/Pic8.jpg
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

MCOflyer

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 11):
I'm with you. I don't like the idea of designing the pilot out of the cockpit. I trust a human to fly a plane more than I do a computer.

Agreed. I like both gauges and CRT's. Thats pretty cool.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

threepoint

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 29):

im with you there, it looks nice, but i think people should start with conventional cockpits and navigation, and THEN move onto these

There will always be those who are reluctant to change and embrace new technology. The advent of glass cockpits in single engine trainers does more to revolutionize general aviation than any other development in the last 50 years and can only enhance situational awareness and by extension, safety and efficiency. With the dawn of private pilots flying in the upper flight levels in RVSM-certified VLJ's, I think it's mandatory we give these relatively low-time fliers the most help they can get.
Following Pilotaydin's rationale, only airline-transport rated pilots should benefit from glass cockpits while student pilots should start in open cockpits following radio ranges and communicating by morse code.
Glass is the future (it's rapidly becoming the norm today) and the earlier a pilot becomes familiar with the technology and information presentation, the better. I would further argue that today's video-raised generation will identify better with flat-panel displays than more conventional round guages anyway.

Blackbird1331

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:33 am

After viewing Planemaker's post, I realize that the plane manufactuerers know that the future is here. This is what future airline pilots will need to have in their private pilot training. Still, I think some back-up should be there if all of that glass should go black.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Edmonchuck

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 35):
Still, I think some back-up should be there if all of that glass should go black.

Something tells me that no matter how reliable the glass is, the lack of any mechanical back up will not get you insurance, expecially in the private world.

atct

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:13 am

I prefer the prior-PC12 Cockpit. Perfect blend of real glass and "glass". Kinda like AS 734's and DL's Md-88's.

ATCT

PC12, GREAT airplane btw!
Trikes are for kids!

planemaker

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:34 am

Still, I think some back-up should be there if all of that glass should go black.

Aside from that it would be very difficult, though not impossible (but highly improbable), for all that glass to go black as they are on different circuits with reversionary capability, etc... if you take a closer look at the cockpits pics you will see that they all have "steam guage" back-ups.

threepoint

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting Edmonchuck (Reply 36):

Something tells me that no matter how reliable the glass is, the lack of any mechanical back up will not get you insurance, expecially in the private world.

As mentioned by Planemaker, there are indeed at least one each of an AI, ALT and ASI on each panel. The likelihood of both the PFD and MFD going 'black' as you say is next to nil, and if it does, I believe each system will be able to function for at least 30 minutes using an internal electrical source (battery). If you encounter that one-in-a-million scenario, you still have the three conventional guages that is all any pilot needs to get to the ground safely.

fspilot747

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting Planemaker (Reply 38):
Aside from that it would be very difficult, though not impossible (but highly improbable), for all that glass to go black as they are on different circuits with reversionary capability, etc... if you take a closer look at the cockpits pics you will see that they all have "steam guage" back-ups.

I've heard of it happening, as our mechanic has worked on a few all glass panels that went "out".

MD-90

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting Juventus (Reply 7):
Looks like the Falcon 2000EZ, which in my opinion is the most advanced cockpit in the world.

Right now I think that the G450/550 takes that honor. I'm not sure about the A380, but we'll see what the 787 has.

Quoting A342 (Reply 15):
The thrust lever is simply amazing !

Looks like an automatic tranmission shifter.

That "damned single engine turboprop" is bigger and heavier than a King Air 200 and quite a few bizjets.

I wish Chelton would develop larger displays. They have a better system than Avidyne or Garmin.

CAPTYXU

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Looks like a very user friendly cockpit with all the digital controls.....Very impressive

captaink

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:00 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. This is the world we live in, constant technological advancement, things will always continue to change whether we like it or not. It usually changes with the view of making life a little easier. So why not aviation. If it makes the airplane easier to fly, why do we need to stick to steampowered gauges and a Flight Engineer? Look at how cars come these days as compared to the 1950s.

I wonder what it would be like 2 generations from now.

P.S. I once spoke with a BA 772 captain, that was an ex 732, 742 and Concorde pilot, and he said he is not a fan of EFIS, and prefers anyday the olden days of endless gauges in a flightdeck. I guess it is common sentiment of older pilots.
There is something special about planes....

AirEMS

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Ok so I'll be the one to say it...... The thrust lever looks like the automatic shifiter out of my Subaru!

It looks very cool but one question.... Could this lead to pilot information overload? All kinds of moving maps multiple pages per screens could this be too much? or is this what a glass flight deck is built to limit??

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

planemaker

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting CAPTYXU (Reply 42):
I wonder what it would be like 2 generations from now.

They have SVS/EV available that are improving in fidelity. I don't think that it will get much better until they develop a holographic SVS/EV.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 41):
I wish Chelton would develop larger displays. They have a better system than Avidyne or Garmin.

Yes and pretty pricey...but how's this for only $3,495 and it fits into a standard panel slot...

They pack a lot in a small "cheap package" that makes for an electronic back-up system for GA...

Electronic ADI and Flight Director

• Replaces conventional six-pack
• Breathtaking high resolution terrain on all models
• Smoothest and fastest AHRS made: 420 degrees/sec
• HITS - Highway in the sky / Flight Director

Electronic HSI and Navigation

• Follow WAAS GPS, Virtual VOR, External VOR, Heading Bug...
• Can display GS/LOC/CDI/ILS/VOR/OBS
• Worldwide Jeppesen® Database
• Flight planning and optional Digital Autopilot
• Magnetic Heading, GPS Lat/Lon, Wind Speed and Direction, and two engine gauges
• Terrain View with VFR and IFR Charts

Engine Monitoring System Option

• Precision Engine Monitoring with the BMA Engine POD
• For aircraft engines, auto conversions, turbines and radials
• Graphically monitor EGT/CHT trends
• Monitor RPM, MP, Oil Pressure and emperature, volts/Amps, Fuel Pressure and Flow, Fuel quantities, Hydraulic Pressure, ITT, CHT and EGT with trend analysis, Leaning Function, and OAT

And this is their 10.4" EFIS with dual display for only $16,870 (which is larger than Chelton's and only a fraction the price)...

Some pilots have even been installing them in their homebuilts...

RV7A

Velocity XL

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:11 am

See reply #32, you'll have your answer.