rossbaku

EK Luggage Allowance

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 am

I'm flying GLA - DXB tomorrow and I have 25kgs for my hold luggage, as well as 5kg for an in flight bag and my laptop (about 3kg).

The question is: Can people in economy get 2 bags into the cabin? I'm asking people for their experiences as I have read on EK's website that economy passengers are only allowed one cabin piece, but some airlines are friendlier than others.

Cheers,

RossBaku Big grin

aerorobnz

RE: EK Luggage Allowance

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:06 am

You shouldn't have any issue with your cabin bag provided the laptop is in a compact laptop bag and not one of those huge monstrosities that many travel with and expect to get away with another piece in addition to a laptop.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Feroze

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting Rossbaku (Thread starter):
The question is: Can people in economy get 2 bags into the cabin? I'm asking people for their experiences as I have read on EK's website that economy passengers are only allowed one cabin piece, but some airlines are friendlier than others.

NO. British Govt rules currently prohibit more than one item of hand luggage.

from BAA:
Hand baggage restrictions
Passengers are allowed to carry ONE item of hand baggage , no larger than:

56 centimetres tall (approximately 22 inches)
45 centimetres wide (approximately 17.7 inches)
25 centimetres deep (approximately 10 inches)
through the airport security search point. Please note, this is the maximum bag size allowed through security. Smaller bag sizes may apply depending on which airline you travel with. We therefore advise you to contact your airline.

Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried WITHIN the single item of cabin baggage, not in addition. All items carried by passengers will be X-ray screened. Cameras, (including digital, small electrical items such as mobile phones, MP3 players and game consoles can remain in the bag for screening. However, all laptops and large electrical items must be removed from the bag and placed in a separate tray.

[Edited 2006-12-22 01:24:35]

[Edited 2006-12-22 01:25:18]

ZKNEA

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting Feroze (Reply 2):
NO. British Govt rules currently prohibit more than one item of hand luggage.

He may in fact be correct. While I haven't flown to the UK since the whole liquid ban etc, I had an experience a while ago at AKL with EK where basically the agents told me that they had no problem with me taking them onboard but I wouldn't get past airport security with them. You may find this to be the case in the UK also.

dptMAN

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Im travelling MAN-DXB-SIN-BNE on March 30th and return 16th April and the max baggage allowance for economy is 20kg, on both legs of the flights. Surely EK should realise people travelling to Australia, Asia, New Zealand and long haul for long periods of time should have a little more baggage allowance. I just came back from Australia in November on SQ and my baggage returning was 33kg with a max of 35kg i think.

dptMAN

Leskova

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 4):
I just came back from Australia in November on SQ and my baggage returning was 33kg with a max of 35kg i think.

You probably had some type of a special fare there, because - with the exception of those countries where the piece concept applies, Y passengers get 20k (23 on very few airlines), C get 30k and F get 40.
Smile - it confuses people!

ZKNEA

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:18 pm

I just flew on EK AKL - DXB on the 10th Dec with about 25kg or so and I was fine.

FlyEmirates

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Shame you are flying from UK otherwise you could bring it all onboard, EK in general is very lax when it comes to cabin baggage, I offloaded a 20KG '4 wheel drive' trolley bag recently to the protests of the owner who insisted it was allowed onto an earlier flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos