bartond

International Award Travel - UA/Star

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:51 am

Question for you UA/Star Alliance Award travellers:

Why is it that the UA website does not allow me to purchase award travel to Star Alliance cities not in the UA route map? I am trying to book a flight to AKL next November but the UA website makes me call the 1-800 number to book the flight. Also, does anyone know when Air New Zealand might allow upgrades via UA miles? I know that some of the European Star carriers allow it but ANZ does not yet. I sure would like to get Business class for that 13 hour flight down to Auckland.

I have also tried to book flights to SJO which the United magazine says is a United route, but the same thing happens. When are the UA routes from ORD/IAD-SJO operational, or are those just Star routes?

When I lived in Dallas and had a bunch of AA miles, it was so easy to hop on AA.com and book flights to Dublin, Manchester (when AA was not serving these cities), Madrid, or the Far East on the website and it would display other OneWorld carriers like Aer Lingus, Iberia, British, and Cathay. Why does UA make it so difficult to plan out my trip online if I'm not going to one of their cities? In times where virtually every corporate entity is using more and more automated/web-based systems, this seems like an oversight. Thoughts?