gilesdavies

Is There An Alternative To Boeing Connexxions?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:26 am

I understand Boeing is discontinuing its "In Air Internet Service" a handful of airlines have decided to install over the years.

I appreciate the service was not exactly a huge success, but do any other airlines offer an internet service that you can use while flying?

[Edited 2006-12-28 00:56:34]

Stitch

RE: Is There An Alternative To Boeing Connextions?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 am

Panasonic is rumored to have a system in development that can use the Connexion hardware (with a new control module, I believe), which would make retrofitting relatively inexpensive.

SNATH

RE: Is There An Alternative To Boeing Connextions?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
Panasonic is rumored to have a system in development that can use the Connexion hardware (with a new control module, I believe), which would make retrofitting relatively inexpensive.

If this works out, it will make LH very happy!

Tony

[Edited 2006-12-28 00:50:26]
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

BoomBoom

RE: Is There An Alternative To Boeing Connexxions?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:09 am

Quote:
Panasonic Avionics Corp., based in Bothell, in Boeing's commercial jetliner backyard, could soon pick up the Internet-in-the-sky baton that Boeing dropped with Connexion.

The company hopes by mid-December to have secured airline commitments to equip up to 500 jetliners with a satellite-based Internet service that will be better and cheaper than Connexion. Some of Boeing's Connexion customers are among those interested.

Panasonic Avionics and its partners have developed better equipment than the older Connexion system. The antenna that fits on top of the jet is smaller and lighter than Boeing's and eventually will be available in different sizes to accommodate smaller single-aisle jets and not just the bigger widebody planes.

The antenna produces much less drag on a plane than Boeing's, Bruner said.

Panasonic Avionics would have a much different business strategy than Boeing. It would sell the necessary equipment to an airline, whereas Boeing owned the Connexion hardware.

Bruner said Panasonic Avionics wants to have commitments from 12 to 15 airlines for about 500 planes before it decides to go forward. So far, it has commitments from about six airlines and 250 planes. But some of those commitments are from U.S. airlines.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/293252_air22.html
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

FriendlySkies

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 3):
But some of those commitments are from U.S. airlines.

hmm...wonder who? I'd guess UA was one, weren't they looking into internet access?

Stitch

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 4):
hmm...wonder who? I'd guess UA was one, weren't they looking into internet access?

Yes UA has received FAA certification to install and operate a wireless internet access system on their p.s. 757s.

GBan

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Yesterday I started a thread with a question on another proposed replacement - Aircell:
Does This Wireless Service Make Sense? (by GBan Dec 27 2006 in Civil Aviation)

I doubt it will be successfull since apparently it will not be satellite based and will only work in areas with GSM 3G coverage:

http://www.aircell.com/markets/mkt_passengers.php

TinkerBelle

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:31 pm

Hope they go ahead with it. A trans-pacific flight with no internet can be pretty long. Boeing connexion works great for KE and OZ, I was surprised Boeing decided to discontinue it.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

Stitch

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 7):
I was surprised Boeing decided to discontinue it.

Boeing expected the US majors to order it by the hundreds of frames as at the time, the "Tech Boom" was going strong and Boeing hoped folks tooling across the US in narrowbodies would want to stay in touch with "the home office" to finalize those billion dollar deals.

When the Tech Boom went *BOOM* and 9/11 plus SARS chilled business travel, the US airlines all bailed on their commitments to install it, which ripped the guts out of Boeing's forecasts and made the entire program unprofitable to operate for the foreseeable future.