zrs70

Putting Your Feet Up On Bulkhead Wall

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Why, oh why do so many people put their feet (at times without socks) up on the bulkead wall? It's so vulgar!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

jetjeanes

RE: Putting Your Feet Up On Bulkhead Wall

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:01 pm

I primarley use my Knees believe it or not on long flights across country, esp in a 737. i have seen ladies put their feet up there as well Those first rows there is really no place to move you feet around. I flew a while back am America west from Phx to Mem in an rj on the first row window.. Talk about a clausterphobic feeling. I could have put my feet on the no smokeing sign and not been comfortable..

On a night flight if no one is in front of me i fold the front to seats forward flat and put my legs up for a few hours.. No one has ever said anything yet
i can see for 80 miles

deltajet757

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:05 pm

i was on an AA flight on christmas day (AA 39) to HNL and the people behind the bulkhead had their feet on the wall. The FA's told them to put their feet down but as soon as they left the people put their feet up again. It doesn't bother me as long as they have socks on, but bare feet are disgusting.

-DeltaJet757
FLY DELTA JETS

whappeh

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 pm

It depends on how full the flight is, etc for me. I've put my feet up there before, but not like 2/3rds of the way up the wall. I'm a tall guy, and it seems to fit me perfectly to just put my feet right above the magazine holder on some long flights to get some sleep. I'll only do that though if I have the row to my self (which is once every what, 10,000 flights). It is rude to do when people are around.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

BrettFromCLT

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:38 pm

I wouldn't do it without wearing shoes. That's part of the benefit of the bulkhead seat if your legs are the right length but without shoes and especially without socks - yuck.

A332

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Why do passengers do a lot of stupid things?

- barefeet up on the walls
- unbuckling of seatbelts before the aircraft gets to the gate
- moving about the cabin during turbulence
- etc, etc, etc.

Answer: people are rude, dumb, ignorant, or a combination of items.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

HBJZA

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:26 pm

And it always seems that only people with smelly feet would go aroud barefoot or with socks ! Have you notice that ? When I worked as an F/A, sometimes the smell of some people's feet was so unbearable that we had to tell them to put their shoes on again !!! When they were sleeping, we used to spray their feet with the toilet deodorant, great fun indeed.

jetjeanes

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:27 pm

What kills me is all the idiots that jump up before we even hit the gate and start grabbing things like its a race to get off the plane,,, and the fools stand there for another 5 or 10 minutes waiting on a jetway and the door to open...

I just sit and wait for them to get out of there,,, I guess if someone opened a door on taxing these kooks would be jumping out running to the gate like another 10 minutes on the parking meter is going to kill someone..
i can see for 80 miles

ThePalauan

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Thread starter):
Why, oh why do so many people put their feet (at times without socks) up on the bulkead wall?

It's the closest to a recliner seat if you're in economy class sans the fancy meal and fully-reclined seatback. Personally, I try to avoid bulkheads just because the last person I sat next to in a row like that wore sandals and they stank like the funk your cafeteria lady has the nerve to call the "mystery meat."

Oh how I shudder at outrageous B.O.!!  footinmouth   faint 
You can take the boy out of the island, but not the island out of the boy!

miami1

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:26 pm

It is vile. Simple. As is changing infants in the seat or on tray tables. Nappies in seat pockets. The list goes on... and on...

pilotdude09

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 5):

- barefeet up on the walls
- unbuckling of seatbelts before the aircraft gets to the gate
- etc, etc, etc.

That is a great summaray of the general public who travel, they have no idea!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

kmh1956

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting BrettFromCLT (Reply 4):
I wouldn't do it without wearing shoes.

However, wearing the shoes and putting your feet up against the bulkhead also leaves black marks. Are you going to clean those marks off?

My solution is simple.....whatever your flight length, wear footwear that is the most comfortable. If you MUST take your shoes off, ensure that your feet are clean, freshly washed (and dried properly), socks clean if you must wear them...and deodorized.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ANCFlyer

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:22 am

why do so many people put their feet (at times without socks) up on the bulkead wall

Because they are pigs, they weren't raised properly, and they likely put their feet up on their walls at home as well.

irked 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

georgiaame

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Deltajet757 (Reply 2):
The FA's told them to put their feet down but as soon as they left the people put their feet up again.

Reasons why flying First is expensive: a) you don't want to be anywhere near those people, b)the airlines KNOW you don't want to be anywhre near those people, and c) someone has to pay the cleaning bills.

Since I don't tolerate my kids putting their feet on my furniture at home, and have no compunctions against reprimanding the vulgar behavior, I have no problem telling that rare patient to get his feet off my office furniture. I'm lucky, however, in that once you insult them, they very rarely come back for a second visit. Unfortunately, with bargain airfares, some people, and I use the term loosely, just don't get the message, and apparently do return.

I'm not certain which is more disgusting: feet on the bulkhead, or armpit hair winking through the tank-top. Either way, I'm looking forward to an improved Delta first product.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

TK787

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:34 am

It all comes down to be taught at any age; what is public, what is private?
I have witnessed a man in his twenties to do an even worse act; he put his bare feet up on the headrest of the seat in front of him (it was an empty seat, but..) on a AA flight from Santiago, Dom.Rep. to JFK in first class.
Another example will be people putting their carry-on bags, and put their feet up on them at the bulkhead seats on transatlantic flights just to block people and especially kids running laps inside the plane. I understand this one.

jamman

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 5):

checkmark 

I'd just make some of these people fly AA between ORD and MAN, the professional, older and slighty scary crew would have whipped them into shape!

Regards,
James.
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

CVGpilot

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 10):
Quoting A332 (Reply 5):

- bare feet up on the walls
- unbuckling of seat belts before the aircraft gets to the gate
- etc, etc, etc.

That is a great summary of the general public who travel, they have no idea!

- One of the most accurate statements I've seen around here in a while, well said...  airplane 

billreid

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:10 am

Its simple rude and ignorant to call any customer anything negative within our service industry.

Get over it.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

bphendri

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 am

But technically it's the wearing of socks and or shoes that make your feel smelly in the first place.

The bacteria, and fungus that grow between your toes only do so in warm, moist, and dark inviroments plus sweat, is what causes foot order.

Wearing open toed shoes, or taking your socks off completely eliminate this.

airtran717

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:15 am

How would you like it if I came to your home and rubbed my ass or feet all over your wall, clothed or socked or not? I spent more time in a plane than at home while I was a flight attendant. I considered the plane my home. Keep all your body parts off the bulkhead walls. They are not there for foot rests. Didn't your mothers teach you manners? LOL

bphendri

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 19):
How would you like it if I came to your home and rubbed my ass or feet all over your wall, clothed or socked or not? I spent more time in a plane than at home while I was a flight attendant.

Well that would depend...

If it was a female flight attendant, and what where we doing that got her bare ass or feet on my wall? More then likely I wouldn't mind.

Why do airlines have to put that row of seats behind the bulkhead anyways, esp on something like a 737.

PanAmOldDC8

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 7):
What kills me is all the idiots that jump up before we even hit the gate and start grabbing things like its a race to get off the plane,,, and the fools stand there for another 5 or 10 minutes waiting on a jetway and the door to open...

And then spend 30 minutes getting through customs and immigration. It seems that the first ones off the flight are the last ones to get their luggage, it makes me laugh every time I fly international. After a long flight the last thing I want to do is to rush off the flight, take your time and you will get there just as fast. Just like people who speed past you and you see them at the next red light.
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

Arcrftlvr

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 7):

The best is when someone from the back starts pushing/shoving aside people in the rows in front of them, so they can get off before everyone else....I've always thought about tripping them as they make their way down the aisle, but I don't want to get sued...

I also love when people stand in the aisle and talk on their cell phone, arrange and re-arrange items in the overhead bins, all during boarding. You all have to understand that the world revolves around these people...

CVGpilot

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting BillReid (Reply 17):
Its simple rude and ignorant to call any customer anything negative within our service industry.

Get over it.

- Wow and that is now some of the dumbest shit I have seen around here in a while... Bummer for me, my high and low in the same thread. I knew it could not last for to long. I guess the airlines need to issuing flight attendants bone saws for in-polite pax...  Smile

mirrodie

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:19 am

You know, the nice thing is, not many here are sticking up for the 'bulkheadfeetpeople.' Nice.

It doesn't bother me as long as they have socks on, but bare feet are disgusting.

Even the socks, a bit iffy IHMO.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Because they are pigs, they weren't raised properly, and they likely put their feet up on their walls at home as well

Dead on. yep.

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 13):
Since I don't tolerate my kids putting their feet on my furniture at home, and have no compunctions against reprimanding the vulgar behavior, I have no problem telling that rare patient to get his feet off my office furniture. I'm lucky, however, in that once you insult them, they very rarely come back for a second visit.

But isn't that funny? You aren't insulting them and yet some of them are so insulted!

You know, that's happened to me a few times too. A few of them got the hint and apologized but one gal came back the next year and pulled the same stunt. I having my wife's grandmother knit a seat cover for the exam chairs I sit on. That might drop a hint.

Some people are slobs.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

nzrich

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:02 am

And my big pet hate is passengers putting feet on the armrest in front or on the headrest in front ...YUKKKKKK .. I always make people put their feet down..

Why do passengers go into the toilets with bare feet makes me feel ill just thinking about it..If only they knew how clean those floors really are and they let their kids to go in with bare feet as well...yukkkk
"Pride of the pacific"

Curmudgeon

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:20 am

I agree Bill...Whenever I kick someone off the airplane, I try to do so in a manner that Positively conveys the contempt in which I hold them and their complete lack of courtesy to their fellow travellers and my crew. Attitude is everything  Wink
Jets are for kids

planesarecool

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:48 am

I don't do it myself, but i don't see why people need to complain. You don't eat off the wall, you don't rest your head on the wall (the bulkhead), you don't sniff the wall. If you have a problem with people putting their feet on the wall, surely you have a problem with people having their feet on the floor as well?

They are cleaned, like the floor, so even if you do notice somebody 4 rows in front of you doing it, it will have very little affect on you, even if you do happen to fly in that seat on that aircraft 3 years later.

Would you rather see somebody putting their feet on the wall, or somebody getting rowdy because the F/A has told them not to?

goomba

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:57 am

I have to admit, sometimes I put my socked feet up on the bulkhead wall just to stretch for a few and then right back down again. It really helps stretch the lower back on a long flight.

I just did this on Tuesday - UA 203 - BOS to SFO - 1st class bulkhead - Seat 1C.

If I have clean new shoes with new socks on, I don't really think this is a big deal for just a minute or two.

If I were barefoot...that would be unacceptable and very disgusting.

CanadianNorth

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 21):
It seems that the first ones off the flight are the last ones to get their luggage, it makes me laugh every time I fly international. After a long flight the last thing I want to do is to rush off the flight, take your time and you will get there just as fast. Just like people who speed past you and you see them at the next red light.

The good old hurry up and wait. I agree 100%; the faster you get off, the longer you'll have to wait.

As for the feet issue: Feet in shoes, shoes on floor or on a foot rest specifically designed for the purpose, everyone is happy.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

RIXrat

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:41 am

Feet on wall. I've not actually seen it, but I have seen passengers trying to debark an aircraft before it is blocked. It seems like mass hysteria, because during the rolling stop, when one gets up, a number of others get up to get their carry-ons and then it escalates into a free-for-all before the bell.

Not a pretty sight. I usually wait, trying to figure out the immigration time and the baggage time and usually I'm right on the money.

cchan

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 25):
passengers putting feet on the armrest in front or on the headrest in front

Usually a sudden and fast recline of the seat back will do their offensive leg the justice.

PlanenutzTB

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:21 am

Must be a slow news day on A-net. I would file this thread under IDGS (I don't give a s***). The bulkhead seats are the most uncomfortable on a plane, and people have always put there feet up to help the blood circulation. Who cares! Many of you seem freaked out by seeing a naked foot. I've see some ugly faces on planes, should these people put a sock over their heads.
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

fpofllflyboi

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:23 am

Ha, they should make the bulkhead out of aluminum (without padding) and have the the cold outside air refrigerate the wall. That way they'll have "Toe-sicles"

I just think it's in poor taste. No one wants to see feet on a wall, covered or not.

skaggs

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:26 am

The worst I saw was some fat dude on AA in F, no socks, feet on bulkhead (asile seat) and reading a soft core porn mag, holding it so the 5 rows behind could 'read' it too.

I was flying DFW to LA a couple years back and a teenager, in full ghetto gear, sat next to me and loudly (pretending I am guessing) made several drug deals on his cell phone before the door shut. It was then 3 hours of shoving his elbow out of the 4 inches of my space he kept putting it in.

These are the same people that buy scratch off lotto tickets and immediately scratch them on the counter while you wait in line.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

UKCO

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 pm

If this is such a problem as many here are claiming then airlines could have quite easily put up a sign asking people not to put their feet on the wall. They have done this in many trains requesting people not to put their feet on the seats.

The fact that they haven't put up a sign means that it isn't a problem.

Bare feet is a seperate issue.

iairallie

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:08 pm

If you have shoes on and are carefull not to leave dirt of scuff marks who gives a crap.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

jafa39

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:09 pm

ANZ don't mind if you do this on long-haul as it lessens the chance of DVT (and a lawsuit for same). I have slept with my feet in the window on AKL-LAX-LHR and the FA's didn't turn a hair (I had my socks on...even Jafa's have standards!)

If I have spare seats beside me I sleep in a variety of weird contortions  Smile

What is really vile (and its why i try to go NZ747's for long-haul), is being expected to cope with 32" of pitch for 10+ hours, I am really not looking forward to AKL-BKK on a Thai Airbus in April...I may just pay the extra for business outta my own pocket.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Skydrol

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:09 pm

Why, oh why do so many people put their feet (at times without socks) up on the bulkead wall? It's so vulgar!

Likely the same folks who put their feet on the dashboard of a car while seated in the passenger seat. This seems to become more and more popular. Is it in fashion to display your feet to the world through the windshield?
(It would be amazing to see the results of airbag deployment in this scenario).

Personally I don't care to see it, in the window of a car or on the bulkhead in an airplane.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Just give the violators a book filled with photos of lice, ticks, and other human parasites, and the damage they inflict the human body (sometimes regardless of the presence of socks).

Mark  bouncy 
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

UKCO

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 13):
you don't want to be anywhere near those people,

Isn't it the case dear Physician, that slobs and those that have such a hard time tolerating them (i.e. anal retentives) aren't so dissimilar... don't they both get early heart faliure?

lincoln

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 30):
Feet on wall. I've not actually seen it, but I have seen passengers trying to debark an aircraft before it is blocked. It seems like mass hysteria, because during the rolling stop, when one gets up, a number of others get up to get their carry-ons and then it escalates into a free-for-all before the bell

Oh My God! He may get off the plane before I do! Charge! I think it's the same mentality that causes the fist fights outside of wedding aparrel stores having sales or people to line up for three days before the release of some gaming system.

Who cares if you don't actually get something for being off the plane first, you'll always be able to tell people that YOU were the first person off of flight 136, and pitty that poor sucker who was last.

Quoting Fpofllflyboi (Reply 33):
Ha, they should make the bulkhead out of aluminum (without padding) and have the the cold outside air refrigerate the wall. That way they'll have "Toe-sicles"

That might actually encourage some people (cough)me(cough) who wouldn't otherwise put their feet on the bulkhead to put their feet on the bulkhead. Then again, I tend to lean on the emergency exit for that extra refreshing bit of cool because those gasper vents are good for nothing.

Quoting Skaggs (Reply 34):
and loudly (pretending I am guessing) made several drug deals on his cell phone before the door shut

You should have loudly made several calls to local law enforcement... Big grin

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

zippyjet

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:17 pm

but bare feet are disgusting

Not if they're high arched hotties footsies!  bouncy 

My feelings: respect what your flight crew say/request. There are a lot worse things in the churlish behavior at 35,000 feet.

• Officious snotty passengers: many of these can be found on HPN, JFK, EWR, BOS to PBI flights. Who feel flight attendants are waiters/waitresses in the sky.
  • People who imitate parents; letting their spoiled rotten kids do what they want; play in the asiles even during take off and landing portions of the flight.
  • Parents who couldn't give a fuck about disciplining their rugrats.
  • Passengers who feel their tray table is just fine and dandy to diaper their smelly miscreant of a baby.
  • Passengers who feel bathing is optional.
  • Obnoxious drunkedness and high time behavior. If you wanna get snookered or high, just keep it to yourself.
  • Those who feel the entire cabin of a packed 737 enjoys listening to crappy rap, Velveeta Country Music or show tunes. They got their I-Pod or whatever else they stick in their ears louder than the damn engines spooling up.
  • Those who feel their seats and the seatback pockets are their rubbish recepticles.

Putting their tootsies up against the bulkhead is bad if they leave their footprints and foot funk on the wall. Happy flying.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

PavlovsDog

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:57 pm

The thought of sharing air and all the crap in it with 250-450 people on 10 hour flights is a lot worse an idea to me than people putting their socks on bulkhead walls. You're bound to share air with scores of people coming from a completely different bacterial environments. It seems about a quarter of the times I fly transatlantically I get pink-eye, a cold or some other malady. I never get sick at home, only when I travel. I really couldn't care less about foot bacteria compared with the whole air issue.

PanAmOldDC8

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 42):
Officious snotty passengers: many of these can be found on HPN, JFK, EWR, BOS to PBI flights. Who feel flight attendants are waiters/waitresses in the sky.

Couldn't agree with you more. You are there to have an enjoyable flight not make the poor Stews work their backsides off. I have seen people in First, (who have never travelled before make the crew work for a living.) seem to think that they are slaves and they are there for their personnel beck and call and to hell with the other pax
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

zippyjet

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 44):
I have seen people in First, (who have never travelled before make the crew work for a living.) seem to think that they are slaves and they are there for their personnel beck and call and to hell with the other pax

They do it in the plebian section plenty of times. Especially Northeasterner
travelers. Miss we'a weady to owrda!And that is complete with snapping manicured fingers or your Wall Street types with their Rolex watches.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ClearedDirect

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:06 am

...or how about this?
What I have been seeing a lot lately is people who come on board and immediately put their carry-ons in an overheard bin (up front) and then go to the back of the plane and take their seats. Obviously when those that are sitting near the door come on board there is no room for their bags - so where do they have to put them? Yep - in the back. Now when the plane stops we have mass confusion as the front is trying to get to the back and of course the back is trying to get to the front.

UAL-Fan

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 am

They are trailer trash. People should behave on a plane as if they are a guest in someone elses house. Respect the Airlines property and the people around you.

planesarecool

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting Ual-fan (Reply 47):
They are trailer trash. People should behave on a plane as if they are a guest in someone elses house. Respect the Airlines property and the people around you.

If i went to somebody's house and put my feet on the wall, they'd probably tell me remove them. If i put my feet on the wall on an aircraft, they probably wouldn't care.

Also, last year i flew from LAX to LHR in the last row of Club World in a backwards facing seat, and when i had it fully flat, my feet touched the wall. Does this mean i'm not allowed to have the seat fully flat?

Aircraft are cleaned after each flight, so there really shouldn't be any hygiene issues.

thegooddoctor

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:55 am

I understand not calling them anything negative to their face, but any service industry has to deal with the same stupid people - I don't think it's unfair to be realistic about their stupidity  Smile

Quoting Bphendri (Reply 18):
Wearing open toed shoes, or taking your socks off completely eliminate this.

Wrong - but thanks for playing!

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 30):
Feet on wall. I've not actually seen it, but I have seen passengers trying to debark an aircraft before it is blocked. It seems like mass hysteria, because during the rolling stop, when one gets up, a number of others get up to get their carry-ons and then it escalates into a free-for-all before the bell.

Ever flown Alitalia?

Quoting UKCO (Reply 40):

Isn't it the case dear Physician, that slobs and those that have such a hard time tolerating them (i.e. anal retentives) aren't so dissimilar... don't they both get early heart faliure?

You have it all flobbed-up here - the slob dies of CHF, the physician usually has a stroke or a massive MI.

I just did an OVID search - oddly enough I found no literature asserting a connection between the health of "slobs" and "anal-retentive Physicians"...
The GoodDoctor