FFlyer
Topic Author

Finnair Passengers Stuck In Dubai

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 pm

A Finnish friend told that a Finnair flight from Helsinki to Goa was diverted to Sharjah (?) due to engine problem. Finnair hasn't been able to book the pax to any other flight, and the passengers have had to sleep on the terminal floor. They can continue their trip some time tomorrow after been spent 2 nights at the airport! Isn't anybody flying from Sharjah to Goa? How far is DBX from Sharjah? Emirates sure would have flights to accommodate the AY pax. But it would be expensive for Finnair...it is much cheaper to have them sleep on the floor.

UpperDeck79

RE: Finnair Passengers Stuck In Dubai

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Thread starter):
A Finnish friend told that a Finnair flight from Helsinki to Goa was diverted to Sharjah (?) due to engine problem.

The flight is a charter flight Helsinki-Sharjah-Goa with a B752. The stop was already in the schedule, not a divertion.

But yes, the pax are stuck there since there were no available aircraft to charter for the Sharjah-Goa-Sharjah(-Helsinki) legs...
AY and ANA rock!

WSOY

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 pm

from http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/artikkeli/M...uorokaudeksi/1135223965539?ref=rss

A fault has been detected in one of the hydraulic pumps [of a 757] just before a technical stop at Sharjah en route to Goa. A mechanic is to be flown in from Finland tonight. Hotel rooms in Sharjah are hard to come by at the moment (Hajj?) but are being sought for travelling families and the elderly. The airport in Goa is under maintenance as well and closed until tomorrow morning. The over 200 passengers had to sleep on the floor of the airport (why no benches then?), and no proper meals were being served according to the passengers.
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

FFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting WSOY (Reply 2):
The over 200 passengers had to sleep on the floor of the airport (why no benches then?), and no proper meals were being served according to the passengers

If the Sharjah airport has US style benches, it is impossible due to the benches having armrests between each individual seats.

No meals...that's bad!

LordHowe

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 am

How far is Sharjah from HEL? - A few hours! Why not send another aircraft there ...

"Because of the New Years Holidays", says the Finnair website - but why?

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

Lufthansa747

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting WSOY (Reply 2):
Hotel rooms in Sharjah are hard to come by at the moment (Hajj?) but are being sought for travelling families and the elderly.

According to AY hotel rooms are always hard to come by. I remember one delay at HEL where they claimed that the nearest vacant rooms were in Lahti. I have a hard time believing that. And all those HEL-BKK delays with "NEW INFO AT" coming at 2h intervals in the middle of the night. Pathetic.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

sllevin

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 4):
How far is Sharjah from HEL? - A few hours! Why not send another aircraft there ...

Heck, how far is SHJ from DXB? Great circle mapper says it's just a handful of miles. You'd think they could have gotten everyone home on scheduled flights.

Steve

BA

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:21 am

Dubai, Sharjah, and Ajman have essentially formed one metropolitan area now. Each are in their own respective emirate (state) of the same name. The distance between Dubai and Sharjah is about 15 kilometers and the drive takes about 15-30 minutes depending on the traffic. The airport is a bit far from the city however.

Sharjah airport can be easily seen on take off from Dubai on a clear day if you are taking off towards the desert and are on the left side of the plane.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

WSOY

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:31 am

Makes more sense to have them sent on rather than fly them back, and then down the same route again. The people waiting for their flight in Goa also need to be attended to and flown back. And the company itself has to stay afloat as well mind you.
edit: Finnair website claims there were no charters available on such a short notice due to the New Year season. The flight is now estimated at tomorrow Nov 30 8:00 hours.

[Edited 2006-12-29 22:39:16]

NorthstarBoy

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:21 pm

does Finnair not have a spare MD-11 they can dispatch to Sharjah to pick everyone up and take them to Goa? and why would they need to charter an aircraft? that seems to make no sense, just pull an MD-11 or A340 off the line (or locate a spare one) and take care of the problem.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

FFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 9):
why would they need to charter an aircraft? that seems to make no sense, just pull an MD-11 or A340 off the line (or locate a spare one) and take care of the problem.

It's the money, of course. Cheaper to keep the pax sleeping there, than to have them accommodated with other more expensive arrangements.

COSPN

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:53 pm

SHJ DXB is just a short car or bus ride 20 mins or so depending on Traffic

JAAlbert

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:13 pm

why would they need to charter an aircraft? that seems to make no sense, just pull an MD-11 or A340 off the line (or locate a spare one) and take care of the problem.

and of course, its a charter flight. Typically cheaper than scheduled flights, which of course, means u get stuck if the plane gets stuck

fridgmus

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:51 pm

Finnair is stabbing these pax in the back. Greed, plain and simple. They need to get off their asses and do the right thing with their pax.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard there are a few Russian planes looking for a charter that hang out at DBX??? Anybody know anything about that?

Not to mention you can't have alcohol in Sharjah!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

FAGC

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting WSOY (Reply 2):
Hotel rooms in Sharjah are hard to come by at the moment (Hajj?) but are being sought for travelling families and the elderly.

Hajj pilgrimage is centred around Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia, some way from SHJ.
Shortage of hotel rooms can be attributed to the shopping festival which is going on in DXB, as well as the fact that it is the Eid and New Year holiday which sees a lot of people in the region coming to DXB and surrounding areas for their break.

LordHowe

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 4):
"Because of the New Years Holidays", says the Finnair website - but why?

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 5):
According to AY hotel rooms are always hard to come by.

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 10):
It's the money, of course. Cheaper to keep the pax sleeping there, than to have them accommodated with other more expensive arrangements.

Exactly! And of course there is the question of crew working hours ...

Happy New Year Finnair - and Finnair Leisure Flights!

Regards,
LordHowe

teva

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Finland being part of the EU, they should have done better for they pax, and they wil have to pay a lot when the pax come back home. They put themselves more at fault by not even providing food or appropriate lodging.(maybe the true story is that since all the passengers are probably not visa exempt in the Emirates, they prefer to keep all the pax together)
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

WSOY

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Quoting Teva (Reply 16):
Finland being part of the EU, they should have done better for they pax,

The Commission evidently has to be directed to divert some funds for this purpose, in order to maintain the pride and dignity of the EU citizen in cases such as this one.

[Edited 2006-12-30 13:46:19]

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Thread starter):
Finnair flight from Helsinki to Goa

Whaty type Engines.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

wingedarrow

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:48 am

Little question for WSOY:

Why do you get hungry when you sleep? Hi hi hi  scratchchin 
אליטליה

andaman

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 16):
Finland being part of the EU, they should have done better for they pax, and they wil have to pay a lot when the pax come back home. They put themselves more at fault by not even providing food or appropriate lodging.(maybe the true story is that since all the passengers are probably not visa exempt in the Emirates, they prefer to keep all the pax together)
Teva

In the end it's the travel agency who pays the pax, there are clear rules for the situation like this. Of course most annoying for pax to stay a night at the airport, but it didn't sound that dramatic in Finnish papers.
Yes happily in EU but I am afraid Brussels not interested in this case..  Smile

My rule no1: avoid long charters.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

LordHowe

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:45 am

Well,

She's finally in shape again and the crew(s) have had their rests ...

Estimated time of arrival in HEL December 31st at 0305 - originally December 29th at 1445 - so some 36 hours late.

Seems to have a very slight effect on other leisure flight activity. Tonights departure to the same destinations - vi Sharjah to Goa - is estimated to depart at 2330, some three hours delayed. Excellent of Finnair Leisure Flights!

Regards,
LordHowe

sk909

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 10):

I don't agree. What is more expansive? Loosing PAX or helping them. The problem is that it may be a charter flight, but the passangers see "Finnair"... Them don't see the difference. Hence Finnair gets negative press. And that is bad. And especially on long haul flights, as it is one of AY strong sides.
Had I been in the CEO chair: Pay for the accommodation, or get a spare aircraft. Cheaper in the long run.

And Happy New Year.  Smile
Life's for Living!

WSOY

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting SK909 (Reply 22):
Pay for the accommodation, or get a spare aircraft. Cheaper in the long run

But one problem was that neither one was readily available, see above. Or perhaps they did not consult the IL-18 or AN-12 operators in Sharjah?
The airline wil be well aware of the compensations packet holiday travellers are due to receive, which no doubt will be charged on the airline. (And I may add that comsumer protection was not invented by the EU and was in force before the year 1995.)

EFHK

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 18):
Whaty type Engines.

Pratt&Whitney.

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 13):
I don't know how true it is, but I've heard there are a few Russian planes looking for a charter that hang out at DBX??? Anybody know anything about that?

I'd prefer a 30-hour delay than a flight in a Russian aircraft "hanging out" in DXB.

does Finnair not have a spare MD-11 they can dispatch to Sharjah to pick everyone up and take them to Goa? and why would they need to charter an aircraft? that seems to make no sense, just pull an MD-11 or A340 off the line (or locate a spare one) and take care of the problem.

Finnair's long-haul fleet has so tight schedules that you can't just pull one off the line for charter work. The 757s do those jobs, and they're also quite tightly scheduled.

And all those HEL-BKK delays with "NEW INFO AT" coming at 2h intervals in the middle of the night. Pathetic.

There hasn't been one for a long time.
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

LordHowe

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 24):
And all those HEL-BKK delays with "NEW INFO AT" coming at 2h intervals in the middle of the night. Pathetic.

There hasn't been one for a long time.

Well here we go again (this time not BKK though):

From Amadeus:
"FINNAIR - AY 22 (January 2nd)
Indira Gandhi International (DEL), Delhi, Intia 2:30 NEXT INFO WILL BE AT
Indira Gandhi International (DEL), Delhi, Intia 15:30 ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE"

Regards,
LordHowe

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 24):
Pratt&Whitney.

Any other RB211-535 B757s operating to India.Apart from Blue Dart/DHL.
regds
MEL

mika

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 24):
I'd prefer a 30-hour delay than a flight in a Russian aircraft "hanging out" in DXB.

Amen to that! Big grin

I have an old Airliner world magazine with an article about Sharjah..seems there's alot of old Russian metal hanging around there. Not saying that Russian aircraft are inherently less safe than any other aircraft of course, the article just suggests that many of the aircraft are poorly maintaned.

EFHK

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Mika (Reply 27):
I have an old Airliner world magazine with an article about Sharjah..seems there's alot of old Russian metal hanging around there. Not saying that Russian aircraft are inherently less safe than any other aircraft of course, the article just suggests that many of the aircraft are poorly maintaned

I have that too and was thinking exactly about it.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 26):
Any other RB211-535 B757s operating to India.Apart from Blue Dart/DHL.
regds
MEL

Air Finland flies a weekly charter this winter to Goa via AUH with 757s, which have RR engines.

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 28):
Air Finland flies a weekly charter this winter to Goa via AUH with 757s, which have RR engines

Is this the one that operates to AHD.
regds
MEL

EFHK

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 29):
Is this the one that operates to AHD

Well, firstly I don't know what AHD is (Ahmedabad?).

But no, that flies from Helsinki to Goa via Abu Dhabi. Finnair does charter flights to Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam with a technical stop in Jaipur this winter, last winter it was Ahmedabad.

fridgmus

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting EFHK (Reply 24):
'd prefer a 30-hour delay than a flight in a Russian aircraft "hanging out" in DXB.

Excellent point EFHK!

Marc
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 30):
Well, firstly I don't know what AHD is (Ahmedabad

Yes.
regds
MEL