Why go to a big airline ?

Thu Feb 25, 1999 9:46 am

I think that pilots that apply for the majors are not wiling to use there full potential as pilots and are avoiding there responsibilities cause it will take them twenty years or so to become a captain so it's easy to remain a first officer. Also they don't get paid as much this way as when tyhey would be a captain.

Markus

RE: Why go to a big airline ?

Thu Feb 25, 1999 1:38 pm

Is there any way that you could rephrase this question. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'responsibilities'. I don't mean to start a flame war, but have you ever thought about the fact that there is usually much more job security with the majors. A large and established airline is much more likely to remain afloat than is a small start-up. The most important thing on the mind of a pilot when getting a job is one of 2 things (especially when young); Career potential, and security. Well, that is what the majors offer.

Not to criticize the job or anything, but being a commercial airline pilot is not exactly the best thing in the world. Many are away from their families for days at a time, the training is extremely intense, not to mention pressure. Most pilots want to get on with a major, start a career, and earn enough money to retire well. Lets put it this way...you're a software designer, striaght out of college. Who would you rather work for, Microsoft or some no-frills start-up which might not survive the next quarter. I'd pick Microsoft (just an example) so I could build a career.

Sorry for the WOB

Cheers,
Markus

JETPILOT

RE: Why go to a big airline ?

Sun Feb 28, 1999 4:32 pm

Let me help you in your thinking. I am a pilot for what is considered a good cargo airline. Let me enlighten you on what I have put up with in the last year. We had an accident that nearly shut us down. I fly a 37 year old DC8. I got to the airport for a 11pm departure and waited 4 1/2 hours for the cargo to be loaded. We don't get paid for time spent on the ground. Only flight time. I get Less than half of what someone at a major would be making. I get one week off a month compare to about 2 at a major. I have no retirement plan available. I have no job security because there is no union. There are no toilets or running water on the aircraft. We have no catering. We brown Bag it. Our training department (well I won't go there). And this is a good cargo airline. Delta is a pilots dream. And by the way for Markus's information it is the best job in the world and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not even if I had to stay here for the rest of my career.