aaden

Has AA Stopped Serving Snacks?

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:44 am

i've flown AA twice in the past 30days. Neither time on any of the flights have I gotton a snack ie(pretzels, chips, peanuts). I'll I've gotton is a drink. Why is this?

Venezuela747

RE: Has AA Stopped Serving Snacks?

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:51 am

Depends on the length of your flight....although pretty much every airline I have flown ussually gives a snack witht he drink
ROLL TIDE!!!

HPAEAA

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:58 am

I've noticed it once or twice in the last 30 days... I think out of 5 flights on AA... but alas, the last times I few they had them... I just assumed someone forgot to order them in catering..
Why do I fly???

DLCnxgptjax

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:12 am

My mom flew MSY-LGA and LGA-MSY back in November on AA and said there weren't any snacks served. I was curious to know the answer to this as well.

aaden

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 am

Also AA charges for all meals on transcon and to hawaii now right?

could any AA flight attendents help with this?

luv2fly

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:35 am

I thought I read some where on this site that AA now only serves snacks, i.e. pretzels and such on flights over a certain amount of time, I thought it was 2 and 1/2 hours.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Ps76

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 am

I don't understand why many airlines make this move. Maybe I'm nuts but peanuts/food/snacks etc. add a lot of value to my flight. Flying without the peanuts just isn't flying!

P.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:45 am

To hell with their little, worthless bags of snacks. I stop at a KwikTrip before I get to the airport and buy my snacks. Why do people make such a big deal over a lousy 15 grams of pretzels?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AA787823

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:09 am

True AA has stopped compimentry snacks on all flights, this is so people use use the BOB service. Also sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

[Edited 2006-12-31 02:10:57]
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

aaden

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 8):

why would they do this, if no other carrier is going to do so?

L1011

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:43 am

I just flew on 2 AA A300s from MCO-MIA and back, and not even drinks were served. I also flew MIA-NAS and back on American Eagle ATR-72s, and BOB was supposed to be offered. It was on the MIA-NAS segment, but not on the return. Only pre-poured juices and water were offered on the return.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

fxramper

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:54 am

Flew them last week for work, 4 days ago for Christmas, and again on Monday.

All flights over 3 hrs, and they had a few packages of the crackers shaped like fishes for those people that absolutely needed something with their beverage.

It's pretty much rubbish, but I understand they are saving their nickels and dimes for the new a/c order in 2007.  airplane 

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting L1011 (Reply 10):
I just flew on 2 AA A300s from MCO-MIA and back, and not even drinks were served.

That makes sense on such a short flight. They'd have to really haul ass to serve 251 coach passengers.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

TrijetsRMissed

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting AAden (Thread starter):
i've flown AA twice in the past 30days. Neither time on any of the flights have I gotton a snack ie(pretzels, chips, peanuts).

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 5):
AA now only serves snacks, i.e. pretzels and such on flights over a certain amount of time, I thought it was 2 and 1/2 hours

I recently flew ORD - TUS and back, about a 3.5 hour flight and there were no snacks served on the flight. Just a drink, this was during the meal times I might add. The bottom line is AA has the worst service when it comes to offering frills. They were the first airline to pull blackets and pillows from the flights. Unless AA has a considerably cheaper fare, avoid them. Especially if its a 757 route.

Also sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

Now this is just ridiculous. There is cutting costs and there is just being plain stingy.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

aussie747

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:02 pm

True AA has stopped compimentry snacks on all flights, this is so people use use the BOB service. Also sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

Sounds like low cost carrier service to me. Thank god I still get my free hot meal and beer service on my evening QF City flyer service in economy class. Flight is only 1 hr 25m flight on a 767. So don't give me flight time is too short as an excuse.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 13):
Now this is just ridiculous

Airline food is no different than those microwave Lean Cuisine things. I'd rather stop at Subway and buy a foot-long double meatball with that mysterious white cheese and oregano. More bang for the buck.

Mark

phatfarmlines

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:08 pm

Now this is just ridiculous. There is cutting costs and there is just being plain stingy.

Call it cost cutting but NW, UA, & AA already do BOB in coach from ORD/DTW/MSP to HNL. While I hate the idea myself, from a business standpoint it's the perfect testing grounds for transatlantic service.

Addendum:
AA's strategic playbook most likely foresees the LCC onslaught to spill to transatlantic markets, hence the preemptive measure to "get ready", so to speak.

[Edited 2006-12-31 04:10:29]

jetBlueNYFL

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Aussie747 (Reply 14):
Sounds like low cost carrier service to me

Some LCC's actually offer more in terms of snacks/value than legacy airlines.
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

TrijetsRMissed

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 15):
Airline food is no different than those microwave Lean Cuisine things. I'd rather stop at Subway and buy a foot-long double meatball with that mysterious white cheese and oregano. More bang for the buck.

I know what airline food is. I remember when we'd get hot meals on 4 hour flights just 10 or 12 years ago in the states. I always pick something up either in the terminal or on the way to the airport but for its still nice to get a little something while on board, especially if you're crossing the Atlantic!

Quoting Phatfarmlines (Reply 16):
Call it cost cutting but NW, UA, & AA already do BOB in coach from ORD/DTW/MSP to HNL. While I hate the idea myself, from a business standpoint it's the perfect testing grounds for transatlantic service.

Sure its all about $$$. But even still, AA is not in bankrutpcy anymore.. and look at CO who serves meals on domestic routes. The lack or service with the US carriers like AA over the pond is really evident when you compare it to the European airlines flying the same routes.

USPIT10L

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 18):
AA is not in bankrutpcy anymore

AA has NEVER been in bankruptcy. Check your facts.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

TSS

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Like some others have stated, I prefer to get my meals in the airport. CO does serve meals gratis, but if you're in coach they're neither good nor particularly filling.

At least AA makes several passes with the drink cart per flight. On my one and only trip with CO (BHM-IAH-RNO and back the same route), I found them to be downright stingy with their beverage service. It's not as if I was asking for a perfect martini every ten minutes...just more than one cup of black coffee.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Ps76

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 pm

Funny thing for me is I really enjoyed their "We Know Why You Fly" Tv Ad. recently (I used to love their service too) and was kinda hoping things would return for me.

Was just wondering maybe they really had to pay too much for food etc. Also what happens to the food business (LSG Skychef etc.).

P.

[Edited 2006-12-31 06:33:32]

captaink

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 pm

I flew AA DFW/LGA last week, it was complimentary drinks and BOB. No other snakcs.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
To hell with their little, worthless bags of snacks. I stop at a KwikTrip before I get to the airport and buy my snacks. Why do people make such a big deal over a lousy 15 grams of pretzels?

checkmark  on an a flight earlier than day ie GDL/DFW, we got the bag of mixed snacks, and i mean it was little, really bring your own stuff on board is the best option right now. I didn't have time to buy anything in DFW due to a short connecting time, I slept on the flight to LGA, and dint know when they were passing around with the snacks to be bought. I arrived pretty sick that night, from not eating all day.

That is just wrong.

Quoting AAden (Reply 9):
why would they do this, if no other carrier is going to do so?

Don't worry the other carriers might follow suit rather quickly. Afterall someone has to start eh..
There is something special about planes....

goldorak

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:35 pm

Also sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

this is becoming really ridiculous.  banghead  Another reason to not fly such airlines

the main difference is that flights from mainland USA to HNL are domestic flights, as opposed to transatlantic flights where US carriers face competition from EU carriers which are far far superior to US carriers in term of service.

The lack or service with the US carriers like AA over the pond is really evident when you compare it to the European airlines flying the same routes.

Absolutely. This is a great risk for US carriers to lose a lot of market shares on transatlantic flights. I had to fly AA on CDG-ORD in Y in december (due to fully booked AF flight) and was really amazed by the very low overall quality of the product. The only good thing was the very nice flights attendants on both legs. All this is another reason for me to stay with AF which offers an excellent product even in coach with good food and free champagne even in coach.
Happy new year to all A.netters !!  champagne   Smile

SR 103

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:58 pm

This year I flew:
LAS-LAX
LAX-MIA
MIA-MCO
MCO-DFW
DFW-SAN
SFO-MIA
MIA-MCO
JFK-MIA (First Class)
MIA-MCO (First Class)

Three of those flights got absolutely no service, not even a drink. Never once did I see a packet of pretzels, peanuts, chips, crackers or whatever AA claims to serve. I for one went back to NW/CO/DL after all these AA flights, at least I do not have to play a guessing game when flying them, I know what to expect even if it is nothing.

Wasn't this a service oriented industry not too long ago? Shame!

While I hate the idea myself, from a business standpoint it's the perfect testing grounds for transatlantic service.

Careful! Comparing domestic flights where the competition is the same vs. International where the competition blows the US carriers out of the water already is a bit premature. The US airlines have to compete with European and Asian carriers across the Atlantic and Hawaii is not the test ground for this!

AA's strategic playbook most likely foresees the LCC onslaught to spill to transatlantic markets, hence the preemptive measure to "get ready", so to speak.

Aer Lingus still serves hot meals in coach!  Wink
I’d be shocked if AA manages to beat US to the punch on this one. My bet is US will launch BOB Trans-Atlantic before AA or any other airline.

All kidding aside, I fear the US carriers will lose whatever business travelers they have left if the implement this. Nothing short of a company/airline contract will get any business traveler on a US airline when the competition offers far superior service for almost identical prices. The US airlines will become the “airlines most preferred by backpackers.”

SR 103

Evan767

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 22):
Don't worry the other carriers might follow suit rather quickly. Afterall someone has to start eh..

Not Delta. In fact, Delta has only increased their meal service across the Atlantic. You now get a mid-flight snack eastbound (choice of sun chips, crackers, peanuts, biscoffs, etc.) and a mid-flight snack westbound (ice cream). Not to mention the free alcoholic drink they are now serving with the meals and free amenity kits.

I just got back on a trip to South Africa. I flew CPT-JNB on SA and got a hot meal. Alcoholic drinks were completely free. Flight attendants were working constantly. It seems now the flight attendants working for US airlines do absolutely nothing but make announcements, and on some select airlines serve drinks and snacks.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

FFlyer

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:24 pm

That is completely unacceptable, and they will get tons of negative publicity for that.

As mentioned above, the competition on Atlantic will continue to offer free meals. I'm sure this will be the case with DL and CO, too. Actually their Transatlantic service, in my mind, is not worse than of an average Eurocarrier. AF wins in Champagne and food (not always), but then loses in the hassle-factor, and often in the friendlyness of the crew - and especially the ground personnel! It's not just the food that matters, but a free food on overseas flights is a must.

bmacleod

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:28 pm

I guess that fare increase AA announced last week will hit back since they dropped snacks on all flights?

Quoting FXramper (Reply 11):
saving their nickels and dimes for the new a/c order in 2007.

Haven't heard anything about AA ordering new aircraft next year... 787s?
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

flflyguy

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:30 pm

1. I have not heard anything about ending meals in coach transatlantic. Source, please?

2. The policy on crunchy things (pretzels or whatever) is they are only served on flights where there is no other offering. If there is BoB, no pretzels.

3. Legs such as MIA-MCO (usually a flying time of about 30-40 minutes) have no scheduled service.
The views expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

PlanenutzTB

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:41 pm

AA no meals, snacks, and pillows. CO meals at meal time, snacks, pillows. I'm Gold Elite on CO, it is my airline of choice. I only fly AA if I'm forced too. If I want a LCC I would choose SW or jetBlue (I can still get a snack and a pillow with them). AA is not even doing a good job competing with the LCC product. AA has really screwed up their product.
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

albird87

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:07 pm

This is plane stupid!! I mean that is going to lose them a lot and i mean a LOT of customers. I mean how many EU carriers will do this!!!

Addendum:
AA's strategic playbook most likely foresees the LCC onslaught to spill to transatlantic markets, hence the preemptive measure to "get ready", so to speak

Well if they think that will make a difference then why are AA still charging a lot for a transatlantic flight!! also you want to be more like a LCC then you want to then look at maybe charging for baggage!! But for being only one of the two US carriers going into LHR they have a big ammount of high business customers they are going to be the laughing stock there!!

n844aa

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting FLFlyGuy (Reply 28):
2. The policy on crunchy things (pretzels or whatever) is they are only served on flights where there is no other offering. If there is BoB, no pretzels.

I'm not sure this is true. I flew LGA-MSY in Y last week, and there were no snacks, nor was there a BOB offering. I was in F on the way back, and I think I heard an announcement that BOB was available, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

When did this change? I stopped flying AA regularly earlier this year, but before June or so, I never had a flight without some sort of complimentary snack. It's not a huge deal, obviously, but to me it does provide a point of comparison between AA and CO. Now, I didn't fly CO this time because EWR-MSY was more than twice as expensive, and I didn't need the EQMs, but AA's really doing everything they can to destroy the last bit of loyalty I have toward them.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

jeffinbwi

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:45 pm

I am a Southwest Flight Attendant. I was working a four hour flight from OAK to MDW the other day. I had this lady in my section towards the front of the plane. As we were serving the free snack boxes she acted so surprised. About fifteen minutes later I offered her seconds on her drink and she was literally shocked! About an hour or so before landing we offered peanuts, pretzels and a second drink and she was almost horrified! She continued to thank me profusely whenever I came by with anything. I finally asked her what airline she had been flying on and she said United.

azncsa4qf744er

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:54 pm

This is why I rather make a connection when traveling between LAX/DFW.

MCOflyer

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 17):
Some LCC's actually offer more in terms of snacks/value than legacy airlines.

B6 and WN offer better service. This new AA thing is bull but the bright side of it is bring your own food.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PRAirbus

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:06 am

AA will not sell meals to/from Europe in 2007. AA will expand the "Buy on Board" to more flights mostly domestic, Caribbean and Mexico/Central America in Coach Class ONLY. All other long-haul; Europe/Asia/South America will still get free meals in Coach.

TSS

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting Jeffinbwi (Reply 32):

Hehehe! That lady's reaction was exactly the same as mine the first time I flew Southwest!
 bigthumbsup 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

levg79

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:43 am

sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

I'm no expert but I think given the choice the majority of passengers would rather fly European carriers between US and Europe. You get more service for your bucks.

If you want to be fed on a flight within the US, I suggest you fly CO.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

coerj

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:24 am

Serving food gives a better flight experience, but it is not neccessary. When you take a train trip across America there isn't complimentary food in coach.

If you don't get free food on a flight to Hawaii, then what's the big deal about not getting food on a flight to Europe, they're the same in length.

Although I enjoy getting food on an airplane, it's not a big deal if I don't because it's usually not very good. Get a half a sub for $3 from subway, which is about 5x more food than they'll give you.

I only see it as necesary on flights that exceed 10 hours, because you can't simply bring enough food with you for two complete meals.

aaden

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:45 am

I thought they tried this on American eagle and the pax were outraged.
Any thoughts on why aa would do this?

Well AA will certainly be hearing from me

777STL

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:51 am

I'm having a hard time believing this. Any proof?
PHX based

TLHFLA

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:01 am

I just flew ATL-DTW on NW and DTW-ATL on DL. NW had no free snacks and offered trail mix for $2. DL offered a choice of snacks (Sun Chips, peanuts or cookies) for free. DL has recently enhanced their snack service where before you did not get to chose your snack.
Bill in ATL

skyhigh777

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:30 am

I know what airline food is. I remember when we'd get hot meals on 4 hour flights just 10 or 12 years ago in the states. I always pick something up either in the terminal or on the way to the airport but for its still nice to get a little something while on board, especially if you're crossing the Atlantic!

I remember when I flew UA from IAD to San Diego in the spring of 2004, they served us a hot meal in coach for the 5 1/2 hr flight. Things have changed so quickly and dramatically in the past few years. I'm gonna miss those times.
Prepare for take-off.

tommy777

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:58 am

True AA has stopped complimentary snacks on all flights, this is so people use use the BOB service. Also sometime in 2007 complimentary meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

This is BS. The snack pack/ muffin that's for sale now is for longer flights only (3+ hours).

I've had 3 ORD-LGA r/t, 1 ORD-TPA r/t, 2 r/t ORD-SEA and 2 ORD-DFW-MCO r/t in December. They have given me the breakfast cracker on all morning flights, the little pretzel thing for afternoon flights. The horrible snack box has only been available for purchase on ORD-SEA-ORD and DFW-SMF-DFW flight. The only explanation for people not getting this service is that they might have been on a shorter flight, around an hour or so, even if I thought service was offered on these flights also, I can't confirm because I haven't been on AA flights that short the last month.

BUT from January 1st, AA launches a new food program, it will NOT affect the service today, pax will still get the little free snack. I like the program: http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...ssReleases/2006_12/19_snacks.jhtml

As for the rumor that AA will charge money for food on intercontinental flights from next year, I have never heard this before and ask you post your source. I couldn't find anything on AAs website about it and have not seen anything posted about this on any forums. There's no way that AA would do this..

ContinentalEWR

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:16 am

American Airlines is quickly becoming the new Northwest. Dirty, old airplanes, surly service, no frills.

BFS

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:58 am

Surely this cannot be true. Does this signal their exit from Oneworld? If Aer Lingus felt the need to leave due to low-cost style cutbacks that were inconsistent with the product offered by Oneworld partners, surely American's offering is even less in keeping with the, dare I say it, superiour service offered by the other carriers in the alliance. As cabin crew, I would find it rather embarrassing to give such paltry offerings to a passenger who had just joined my flight from a Oneworld partner, for example a UK domestic of less than 40 minutes on which a full hot breakfast was served, to having to fork out extra cash on a LON-LAX for something to eat.

It really is rather pathetic if it is true - does the concept of perceived value mean nothing to AA?

tommy767

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:15 am

They were the first airline to pull blackets and pillows from the flights.

Not true. I've had several flights this past year including EWR-LAX, LAX-EWR, LAX-IAD, IAD-LAX, and LAX-JFK all had pillows and blankets. However, if you ask me, it should be MANDITORY to have pillows on ALL the 757s in which the seats are completely uncomfortable.

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 44):
American Airlines is quickly becoming the new Northwest. Dirty, old airplanes, surly service, no frills.

Oh give me a break! I'd take an S80 over a diesel 9 any day of the week!

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 42):
I remember when I flew UA from IAD to San Diego in the spring of 2004, they served us a hot meal in coach for the 5 1/2 hr flight. Things have changed so quickly and dramatically in the past few years. I'm gonna miss those times.

So do I. My last complementary meal on AA was from LAX-EWR in November 2004. We also recieved a snackbox for FREE!

Quoting Levg79 (Reply 37):
sometime in 2007 complimentry meals will be dropped on the all coach flights to Europe. Hot meals may be purchased

If this is true, it will be a new low  ashamed 
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

wingnut767

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):

highfive  My wife is the best at this. When we travel together or when I am on my own she is the best at packing snacks.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 15):

I love the look on someones face when you pull out that footlong Italian BMT from Subway.

Sure its all about $$$. But even still, AA is not in bankrutpcy anymore

Never was in bankruptcy.

The Boy Scout motto works. Be prepared and bring your own snacks. You never know when that ugly 4 hour ramp delay from weather will pop up.
 yummy 
Yakum purkan min shmaya

Turbojet

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:28 am

This is rediculous. I doubt passengers will be allowed to buy food for transatlantic flights at the airport either. TSA will probably want passengers to dump the food before passing the security check point.

Maybe sometime in 2008, AA will put passengers in cargo containers and give everyone a sleeping pill upon boarding.

TrijetsRMissed

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 46):
They were the first airline to pull blackets and pillows from the flights.

Not true. I've had several flights this past year including EWR-LAX, LAX-EWR, LAX-IAD, IAD-LAX, and LAX-JFK all had pillows and blankets. However, if you ask me, it should be MANDITORY to have pillows on ALL the 757s in which the seats are completely uncomfortable.

Are you sure you were flying AA? I have not seen a pillow on an AA flight since the '90s and I have flown ORD-LAX & ORD-SFO, similiar to those you listed.

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 46):
Oh give me a break! I'd take an S80 over a diesel 9 any day of the week!

The Mad Dogs are the only thing I like about flying AA domestic.

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 47):
Never was in bankruptcy.

My bad, I meant they are no longer posting significant losses that would have lead to bankruptcy. Although I did read that they will post a loss this quarter again, the Denver blizzard didn't help.