ravel

Copterline Sues Sikorsky For 60M USD

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:41 am

Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat reports that Copterline, a Finnish helicopter airline that lost a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter in August 2005 in an accident near Tallinn, is seeking for a compensation for damages from Sikorsky and its subcontractor HSI. HS quotes the claim as "at least 60 million dollars or 46 million euros".

Copterline bases this claim on "warranty violation and grave negligence", among others (my own translation).

Fourteen people lost their lives when a Copterline flight using Sikorsky S-76 experienced a servo failure immediately plunging the copter into the Baltic Sea. Copterline thinks this is because of a failure on the manufacturer's part.

The helicopter that was involved was quite new and its registry was OH-HCI.

Article in Finnish: http://www.hs.fi/talous/artikkeli//1135223991481

OV735

RE: Copterline Sues Sikorsky For 60M USD

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:47 am

It's been a long battle between Copterline and Sikorsky. I wonder if this trial will end it. Any info if this will have an effect on the other S76 choppers flying?

ravel

RE: Copterline Sues Sikorsky For 60M USD

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:54 am

Quoting OV735 (Reply 1):
It's been a long battle between Copterline and Sikorsky. I wonder if this trial will end it. Any info if this will have an effect on the other S76 choppers flying?

One problem is that Sikorsky disagrees with the committee about the reason for this accident. I think they claim that the problem was with the service of the helicopter, not the helicopter or parts themselves?

There are hundreds of S76's flying and I think if Sikorsky agrees to pay, they will get in deeper trouble when other operators ask for some modifications or compensations.