Potter
Topic Author

Highloader Smashes Into My Travel Airbus At OSL

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:56 pm

A highloader at Oslo Airport (OSL) lost its brakes this morning and smashed into a My Travel Airways Airbus 330-300, resulting in a buckle on the fuselage. The incident happened while more than 350 passengers on their way to Las Palmas were embarking the aircraft. Flight DK 5743 was scheduled to leave at 07:15, but didn't depart until 15:12 this afternoon. The highloader was operated by SAS Ground Services.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=146938 (Norwegian only)

timboflier215

RE: Highloader Smashes Into My Travel Airbus At OS

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:00 am

I take it they went on a different plane?! Seems it would take more than 8 hours to rectify a buckled fuselage! I'm glad no-one was hurt. Could have been nasty.

Potter
Topic Author

RE: Highloader Smashes Into My Travel Airbus At OSL

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:17 am

Sorry! Didn't say. They actually went on the same plane. The newspaper says this was decided by the Airbus HQ after technicians had looked at the damage.

Quoting Timboflier215 (Reply 1):
take it they went on a different plane?! Seems it would take more than 8 hours to rectify a buckled fuselage! I'm glad no-one was hurt. Could have been nasty.

zeke

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:56 am

Seems it would take more than 8 hours to rectify a buckled fuselage!

Maybe something lost in the translation. Common for catering trucks to dented the fuselage slightly. Most airlines have that sort of damage.

Usually happens when no one guides the truck into place, the driver does it by judgment and makes a small mistake.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

timboflier215

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Zeke (Reply 3):

ICIC, thank you for clearing it up. Must have been a pain for the pax, but like I said, at least it was not more serious.

777wt

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:21 am

Seems it would take more than 8 hours to rectify a buckled fuselage!

Could be the time spent looking up:
-the limits in the AMM
-taking pictures of the damage
-let the airport police and fire dept finish up their investigation
-commuications with the airline's Mtx Control
-a conference call with Airbus engineering dept and mtx control studying the options
-inspecting further such as the inside for damage
-getting a flyby from Airbus
-putting the plane back into service

fr8mech

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Potter (Thread starter):
smashed into a My Travel Airways Airbus 330-300, resulting in a buckle on the fuselage

More than likely bumped into the aircraft resulting in a dent in the fuselage. Eight hours is about right for evaluating and approving a dent outside SRM limits. I imagine some NDT was also performed, especially if any stringers or frames were involved.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Potter
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:18 am

I think you're right. The Norwegian newspaper reporting this, tend to view all air traffic incidents as major catastrophes. Other newspapers have now reported it in a much less sensational manner.

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 6):
More than likely bumped into the aircraft resulting in a dent in the fuselage.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Potter (Reply 7):
I think you're right. The Norwegian newspaper reporting this, tend to view all air traffic incidents as major catastrophes. Other newspapers have now reported it in a much less sensational manner.

I also love how they said "this isn't the first time a plane has crashed into a truck on the runways" ... I emailed the journalist and explained the difference between runway and gate  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

PanAmOldDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):
also love how they said "this isn't the first time a plane has crashed into a truck on the runways" ... I emailed the journalist and explained the difference between runway and gate

Maybe we A. netters should send out a crew to teach these journalists the correct wording. I have heard many times the misquotes on TV and I cringe at the stupidity of some of the statements
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

solnabo

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:50 am

That highloader must have a really bad hangover....twice today!

Micke//  Wink
Airbus SAS - Love them both

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):
I emailed the journalist and explained the difference between runway and gate

Wow, I'm impressed. The article has been changed. It now reads "It's not the first a plane crashes with a car" ... I guess it's a little better  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

mbj2000

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:40 am

A little bit off topic a hypothetical question, what would've happened to a 787 in such an incident, with or without visible damage? CFRP behaves differently, would this situation have lead to a longer or shorter delay?

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 6):
Quoting Potter (Thread starter):
smashed into a My Travel Airways Airbus 330-300, resulting in a buckle on the fuselage

More than likely bumped into the aircraft resulting in a dent in the fuselage. Eight hours is about right for evaluating and approving a dent outside SRM limits. I imagine some NDT was also performed, especially if any stringers or frames were involved.
Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending -- Bender Unit 22

BA787

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:54 am

If the plane was badly damaged it could be bad for MYT, they dont have a huge fleet and use them to the limits. Was it a new plane that was sourced or is the damaged one suitable for service

CRJ900

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 13):
Was it a new plane that was sourced or is the damaged one suitable for service

I think it was the same plane that continued the trip 8 hours later, after it was found fit for flight.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

BA787

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:12 am

Thats good then, would have been a nightmare for MYT if not